It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sky Isn't Falling: Last Straw Edition
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Even though I feel devastated from the loss, this could be good for the long haul. It was great to see the Falcons not lay down and actually put up a fight in the end. Ryan was a little off shockingly and that may have cost the Falcons, but the loss solely blames on the defense and Toliolo for dropping that perfectly thrown ball in the end zone. If Toliolo makes that catch, the Falcons go to overtime rather than having to go for it on fourth down.

Obviously the red zone issues are still there. I have absolutely no idea why Koetter would try a screen pass near the goal line. How would that be effective? Then he designs plays, where Ryan has to drop back rather than make the quick release near the goal line. Obviously Ryan made an uncharacteristic mistake by missing Roddy on that fourth down. Still it was the right decision there because the Falcons clearly wanted to break their rough stretch in the red zone. Not sure why some people were so critical about the run game. I felt Quizz looked good for the most part and Snelling had his moments. They simply had to abandon it, although they really need to start running it when they reach the ten yard line. Three straight throws is pretty ridiculous.

The defense was mostly horrific creating no turnovers and little pressure. Patriots o-line is among the best in the league, but wow not even much production from the blitzing. Babineaux and Massaqoui were the only two defensive players that I can say had good games. Trufant got worked for the most of the night looking like Chris Houston 2.0 at times. Once again, McClain allowed a big play on third down. I'm not sure what has happened to him, but he's been torched for the fourth straight game now. Moore was either a step late or didn't judge the ball properly. How Thompkins caught that ball over him was inexcusable.

Still don't want to push that panic button yet. I've realized how beat up this team is. The linebackers stink and the corners don't have much of a chance when the pass rush isn't getting there. At the end of the day, the Falcons need to bring another pass rusher just to add some depth and spark. They can't rely on an inconsistent Osi, a second year player finally starting to play more, and two rookies at d-end. Hopefully they can address that either this week or during the bye week.

Jets, Bucs, Cardinals, and Panthers. They need to win all four of those games right there. That'll get them right back on track at 5-3 before the showdown against Seattle (thank god that game is at home). If they lose any of those games, then their playoff chances might be on life support. They are going to lose either to San Fran and/or Green Bay. No way they win both games on the road. Hopefully this is the year a 9-7 team can sneak into the playoffs. The NFC has been much better over the past few years.

I'm STILL not panicking just yet. This team is beaten up, what did you expect? Don't know how anyone can blame Ryan, despite missing some throws. Gonzalez looked like the Tony of old and even Roddy looked healthier. I was shocked they even threw a deep pass to him that drew a flag on Talib. As for the potential call for holding, the refs may have missed that one. I'll always defend the corner because they favor the offense way too much when it comes to penalties. Talib had a fantastic game, but he got away with one. Let's hope Samuel plays next week because that secondary needs him.

Have faith Falcon fans, none of these losses have been one-sided. That was the tough part to the schedule shockingly enough. Now they'll get some cupcake games to feast on. Carolina will be challenging as usual, but no excuses in the next three. Tampa is in disarray, Arizona can't move offensively, and the Jets will you know the rest.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sky Isn't Falling: Last Straw Edition
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well remember, the 1992 Chargers started 0-4 and then won 11 of their next 12 and got a Wild Card victory in the playoffs, so we're still better than that, AND 14 times a team that started 1-3 has made the playoffs, so we still have a chance.

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:59 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I agree, we're not a bad 1-3 team.

A lot of good points Emmitt. In regards to saying "solely blaming" the loss on the things you did, I would disagree there. That sort of reductive reasoning I can't abide with by picking 2 things.

The reasons why the Falcons lost were:

1. All Five blown red zone trips, including Toilolo's drop.
2. Blown coverage on 3rd & 19
3. Blown coverage by McClain to Edelman on 3rd & 8
4. Blown coverage by Bartu to Edelman
5. Blount TD run
6. No pass rush
7. Ryan missing throws
8. Smitty's 4th down call
9. Falcons one-dimensional play calling in first 3 quarters
10. Falcons one-dimensional play calling in the red zone
11. Aqib Talib punking Julio Jones
12. Injuries
13. Dent getting called for holding on a 3rd down stop

There are many more. If you opt to cherry pick 2 of those over the others, that's your prerogative, but don't forget the others were equally factors.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Excellent points Pudge, I'll admit I rushed this a bit. Anyway I'll retort what you said, even though will talk about this tomorrow on the podcast.

1. Absolutely. I can't wait to see Moneyball to see how many rushing attempts Atlanta had in the red zone. Why aren't they using the shovel pass more to Snelling? It always works like a charm.

2. Another obvious one, that was really embarrassing.

3. Bobby Mac has had one "are you serious" moments every week now.

4. Awful alignment, how can you have Bartu covering Edelman. When I saw that, I was like this could be serious trouble.

5 to 10 mostly agree with it. Once again didn't have any problem with Smitty's 4th down call. If they convert it, he looks like a mastermind. That fourth down is solely on Ryan.

11. Talib got safety help for most of the game. Disagree with that a lot. I like Talib, but he got away with some holds.

12 is obvious and 13 was an absolute killer. Dent couldn't have made it anymore obvious too.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Emmitt wrote:

11. Talib got safety help for most of the game. Disagree with that a lot. I like Talib, but he got away with some holds.

When Pudge says he punked him I dont think he meant with his play. Talib was in Julio's face all night and was very physical with him even through the whistle. I am used to DBs trying to be physical with Julio but he actually seemed frustrated by it and didnt respond until late.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

1. All Five blown red zone trips, including Toilolo's drop
2.Blount TD run(I think this speaks to our whole defense).
3. Injuries
4. No pass rush (see defense)

All you say are specific but Five blown red zone trips is big.
The defense sucks.....

So if the offense isn't playing well, and the defense isn't playing well; then your lucky to be in games (If we were).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:51 pm 

The Mattural wrote:
Emmitt wrote:

When Pudge says he punked him I dont think he meant with his play. Talib was in Julio's face all night and was very physical with him even through the whistle. I am used to DBs trying to be physical with Julio but he actually seemed frustrated by it and didnt respond until late.

Yes that's exactly what I meant. Talib challenged Julio and I don't think Julio responded to the challenge until towards the end of the game. We really needed him for the 1st 3.5 quarters. I remember a game a few years back where Jabari Greer did the same for Roddy White, although we found a way to win that game in the end IIRC.

Profile E-mail