It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sky Might Be Falling
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Alright folks, it could be happening. Terrible news today regarding all the injuries. This team is going to have to dig deep and start scoring 30 points consistently.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sky Might Be Falling
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Today's news certainly isn't, "good." However, I think that it is an opportunity.

Jackson hasn't been looking all that great behind our offensive line thus far. Also, his ability to catch has either deteriorated, or is overstated. We are DEEP at RB. Though I'm souring a bit on Rodgers because he keeps stopping and always pushes the ball inside, even when there's room outside, we also have Snelling (who I've always felt deserved a shot) and Vaughn, who looked amazing in pre-season. I don't really consider Smith a RB, and I hope that they don't give him much in the way of carries. I'd much sooner see Snelling and Vaughn get those carries.

On the defensive side of things, I think that this is going to force Nolan to play more straight up ball. Losing Kroy sucks. Kroy was playing virtually every position on the field. We will get an opportunity to see if our young DEs can generate a pass rush. And, we should also get the opportunity to see Bartu and Worrilow on the field.

Though I love Spoon and his potential, he seems to spend a lot of time hurt. Bartu might be Spoon's replacement instead of being Nicholas' replacement.

If we can keep things together this year, we'll be in pretty good shape going forward. Heck, if our rookie DBs continue to impress, Samuel might be a cap casualty next year. (he probably should be anyway) We might be able to make a really huge move, or a couple of big moves in free agency next year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:24 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Dammit all to HELL.

I had a bad feeling this was coming our way. (cue Pudge's 'every injury is random but game winning percentages are not' rebutt here :wink: )..That being said, I will say this.

As long as #2 is healthy, we still have a shot. WE STILL HAVE A SHOT. It is an 'outside' one, but as long as he is standing tall, we're not 'out of it'. That is something remarkable for the new Falcons: I am not accustomed to feeling secure that our QB can pull us out of a tight spot. This is amost definitely a tight one.

Two years ago, after the Giants Fiasco(tm) I stated that anything short of a playoff win would mean it was time for a change: and I'd would have made it. Last season, we made that goal, even though we lost the Playoffs. I said then that win gives TD and Smitty +2 years....If we still aren't making progress, then it's time for a change...

Well, I guess now we are really going to see just how well the dynamic duo have prepared. In some ways, like the Brady Ewing pick: I originally thought it wasn't a bad idea, but now it's pretty clear it was a wasted pick. BUt then you've got guys like our CB's who seem to work out fine. Were not 'out of it' because IF TD makes some smart moves here, and Ryan stays upright, and the guys we have a depth step up, we can still sneak in the playofs, and then as we've seen in 2011 with the Yackers, anything can happen even with an injury decimated team. But alot of things have to come together, along with a healthy dose of execution, scheming and just luck. but all hope is not yet lost.

I think Ryan get's injured, though. It just fits the 'narrative'. That close to the Superbowl, and the next year we get a harder schedule, injuries and everyone gets a pass..Then we lose Nolan this year, and the new DC has to step in and put out the grease fire, the team misses the playoffs again uninjured in 2014, and then it's buh bye Smitty and TD. :x
c'mon Falcons. we can get through this rough patch, but it's going to take some pretty big pieces to fall into place. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:47 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Somewhere Mr. Fish is laughing. I found it odd, that after 5 years of hardly any injuries, that we let him go. Yes, we burned out a bit in the 2nd half of some games, but we seemed to be one of the healthiest teams in the league. I think that our problem of 'giving up leads' in the 2nd half of games has more to do with Smitty.

I am an optimist. We can survive without Spoon for the nest 8-9 games. If he can come back for Dedember, we'll be fine. And I'm not sure what it is about Bartu, but he strikes me as a 'once in 10-year-type find' from a non-drafted standpoint. Our 1998 team was made up og guys like this. Jamal and Travis Hall were 6th-7th round guys. Lester Archambeau wasn't drafted, et all... We need some luck, and maybe Bartu is this lucky gem for us. He was VERY impressive against the Rams.

We should have brought back Abe for depth, but that is another discussion. I hate sitting here with 8 mill of cap space, and have Clabo in Mia, Abe in AZ, and Seymour on his couch.

Anyhow, Jeff Fish is laughing, but our sky isn't falling. Unless we lost #2, and MAYBE #11, the sky is still blue. Guys, #2 is legit. What a warrior. He is getting blasted, and has the worst O-Line this franchise has seen in 25 years, yet he will NEVER say a word. What a stud. We are lucky.

That is all. Hang in there guys.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:12 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

fun gus wrote:
I had a bad feeling this was coming our way. (cue Pudge's 'every injury is random but game winning percentages are not' rebutt here )..That being said, I will say this.

Well if you keep preaching how injuries are going to bite us every year for 4 or 5 years, then it's bound to happen at some point.

Tuggle58 wrote:
Somewhere Mr. Fish is laughing. I found it odd, that after 5 years of hardly any injuries, that we let him go

I thought the same thing when we let him go, but I made the decision to not be paranoid about injuries...unlike some other people.

As for Spoon's injury, I think 8 weeks is being very optimistic. COrey Peters missed 4.5 months with a lisfranc injury.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:24 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:
I had a bad feeling this was coming our way. (cue Pudge's 'every injury is random but game winning percentages are not' rebutt here )..That being said, I will say this.

Well if you keep preaching how injuries are going to bite us every year for 4 or 5 years, then it's bound to happen at some point.
Image]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Roddy has been our biggest loss. Although Julio gets the long passes; its Roddy who was always moving the chains.

This isn't the worst line in 25 years but its pretty bad.

I'm a realest and the mistake this organization makes is talking Super Bowl before they win a game. Sorry but this team sucked in both games and our season will be over by December. We have absolutely no depth. We're playing exactly like we did in preseason.

Hopefully we'll start back next year building up our Offensive line & Defensive line.

Jacquizz Rodgers is the most overrated player on the team.

Nolan isn't going anywhere; based on where our defense will finish.

Sorry for the dismal outlook, but it wasn't good from the get-go!! This is the first time since Thomas D. got here that I've been negative, he's made some small mistakes along both lines that now equal a big mistake. To be specific not making
a much quicker move to replace Holmes, guaranteeing Baker 18 million, and in hindsight " Getting Ray Edwards, and I admit I thought he'd be good"??

There's one thing that could get Mike Smith fired (and I SURE HOPE NOT ) and its finding out we don't have a NFL second string Qb.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:06 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If the injuries continue to pile up, then strength and conditioning will certainly get the blame. The next head to roll will be the guy who made the call to do that.

BUT GUYS... IT'S STILL EARLY. You know I've been complaining a good bit, but I'm not ready to write off the season just yet. Keep in mind that we have gotten out to good leads in both of our games. We still have what we need to make a run this year. We need to figure out why this team cannot deliver a solid performance for four quarters. You know where I think the blame lies for that, but there have to be warning sirens going off in Flowery Branch at this point in time. They have to recognize that there's an issue and it needs to be addressed. I still believe that they might be able to right the ship provided they acknowledge that there's an issue, and they don't simply blame injuries.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:23 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Some time guys become good players when they learn that they are good NFL players.

What I mean by that is a lot of guys (especially the lower round guys) come into the league and get labeled only as special team guys and the guys who will be lucky to make the team. They then are not given opportunities in real games and fit the role they were given (because that is how they keep their jobs).

Then when preparations meet opportunity, they get a chance under the big lights to show if they have it. If they make a couple plays (Massaquoi / Bartu) then they begin to believe they can make plays. Then their practice becomes not going through the camp body style but learning the nuances of the NFL and they make more plays...then more plays ... next thing you know, they are good quality NFL players (even stars).

We will see if any of those happen to be on our team. Time will tell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:39 am 

Cyril wrote:
There's one thing that could get Mike Smith fired (and I SURE HOPE NOT ) and its finding out we don't have a NFL second string Qb.

I think you mean Dimitroff as it is his job to find a proper backup QB. Smith would get canned if the team was getting it's ass handed to it on the field. If anything the injuries will give Smith a pass on a down year.

That being said Smith isn't on the hot seat yet and he has extra cred as he is one of the better coaches in Falcon history. Whether or not that has to do with Smitty being a great coach or just a good coach finding the right situation is another question.

Dimitroff may find his seat getting warm if the Falcons completely miss the playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:02 pm 

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Cyril wrote:

I think you mean Dimitroff as it is his job to find a proper backup QB. Smith would get canned if the team was getting it's ass handed to it on the field. If anything the injuries will give Smith a pass on a down year.

Never underestimate the stupidity of Arthur Blank...

I have to say I'm with RobertAP and falconsrandy on this one. It's still early. Bartu and Massaquoi in very brief time have made plays. Massaquoi outplayed Osi on Sunday at least in terms of rushing the QB, and Bartu looked like a guy that had been starting for a couple of years. Will that continue? We shall see. But I don't see this team collapsing like some people think.

And I think when you have the most clutch QB in the league to date, I think it means you wind up winning a couple more games than you probably should. Like I said, the Falcons because of their disciplined approach and good QB play, always manage to win 2 or 3 games more than they should every year. So if the talent of this team is a in the 6-7 win area, then we still have a good shot at finishing above .500.

Now obviously that goes out the window if Ryan gets hurt. And he certainly has already taken more shots in the first 2 weeks than he seemed to take all last year, at least in terms of shots where he was slow to get up. And I think it's become certain that Ryan won't make it through the entire year 100%. Frankly, I think that rib shot he took from Vaccaro, and then the slam Quinn did on him show that he's already injured, but the Falcons won't divulge that for obvious reasons. Call me a conspiracy theorist aka fun gus, but I think that was why the Falcons kicked the FG at the end of the 1st half, but Mike Smith won't say so.

If Holmes continues to play as poorly as he has done the first 2 weeks over the next 2 weeks, then the Falcons have to make a move. They can't just do what they normally do and try and develop him. He is stinking up the joint. Whether that means plugging in Trueblood or Schraeder, or trading for Anthony Collins or WIll Svitek at the trade deadline, I don't know. But they cannot do what they've done the past 2 years with Hawley and Konz, 2 players that were clearly sucking and just "make due."

And I still don't wanna say I told ya so in regards to Baker, but goddammit I told ya so. :evil:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

PFF gave Holmes a positive rating for the Rams game. I was beside myself, but I have come to accept PFFs ratings as pretty reliable, so I'm toning down my Holmes hate at this point. On the other side, Baker has been stinking up the joint... I believe the only one of our linemen to have a decent run rating was Reynolds.

Given the state of our offensive line, I'd be willing to give up a first rounder for a known commodity starting left tackle, even if they're due to make big bucks next year. Lock down a LT who will REALLY protect Ryan's back for the next 5 years. I realize that we have a lot of money in Baker, but Baker simply isn't getting it done, and in the long term, I can't see him as being a reliable LT.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:01 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
PFF gave Holmes a positive rating for the Rams game. I was beside myself, but I have come to accept PFFs ratings as pretty reliable, so I'm toning down my Holmes hate at this point. On the other side, Baker has been stinking up the joint... I believe the only one of our linemen to have a decent run rating was Reynolds.

The more tape I've watched over the past year and a half, the less stock I have put in PFF's grading system.

I say f*** that. THey gave Baker a -7.8 grade for the Rams game in pass protection, which I'm sure is about as low a grade as they've ever given. I can't recall too many times when I saw a guy get a grade below -4 or -5 as a pass protector from them. But gave Holmes a -0.3, which basically translates to his performance being slightly below average?

f*** that. That's BS. I reviewed the game, and I think Holmes played no better than Baker did. Baker at least had the excuse that he was hurt, and most of his troubles came on the first series or two vs. Quinn, after that he was relatively decent. Holmes struggles seemed a bit more spread out (although the majority came in the 2nd quarter).

And I have no idea how Holmes got a higher run-blocking grade (+1.6) than Reynolds (+1.1). They were clearly watching a different game than myself, because you can see in the grade they gave Chris Long (-0.4) that they didn't see him as effective, when I saw him as very effective.

Here's the blocking notes, with the quarter and time on the clock when they occurred from my notes (QBH stands for QB hit):

MISSED BLOCKS

1st qtr-15:00 ... Blalock (vs. Brockers), Holmes (vs. Long)
1st-12:46...Toilolo (vs. Hayes)
1st-12:10...Gonzalez (vs. Jenkins)
1st-10:47...Baker (vs. Quinn)
2nd-1:19...Konz (vs. Sims)
3rd-13:41...Holmes (vs. Long)
3rd-8:40...Gonzalez (vs. Quinn)

PRESSURES

1st-4:26...Baker (vs. Quinn, QBH, 3rd down)
2nd-0:18...Baker (vs. Quinn, QBH), Reynolds (vs. Langford)
3rd-12:16...Holmes (vs. Long, 3rd down)
3rd-7:24...Snelling (vs. Brockers, QBH on a stunt, 3rd down)
3rd-0:13...Holmes (vs. Long, QBH)
3rd-0:07...Baker (vs. Quinn, 3rd down)

SACKS

3rd-12:16...Baker (vs. Quinn, 3rd down)
3rd-3:59...Blalock (vs. Sims, 3rd down)

HURRIES

1st-13:55 ... Baker (vs. Quinn, bull rush)
1st-9:22...Baker (vs. Quinn, QBH); Reynolds (vs. Conrath); Holmes (vs. Long)
1st-1:58...Baker (vs. Quinn, QBH)
2nd-6:29...Holmes (vs. Long)
2nd-1:26...Holmes (vs. Long, bull rush)
2nd-0:57...Holmes (vs. Long)
4th-11:57...Konz (vs. Brockers)
4th-8:31...Baker (vs. Quinn) - Ryan scrambled, hit by Sims

Baker gave up a ton of hits, but that has less to do with Baker's blocking than it has to do with Robert Quinn's ability to finish. Thus why I don't see why Baker's 3 hurries are significantly worse than Holmes' 3 hurries.

If they thought Baker had a worse game than Holmes, that's fine. But to me to have Baker at the lowest end of the spectrum, and have Holmes labeled with an "average" performance. The gap between the two should not be that significant.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:32 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
Given the state of our offensive line, I'd be willing to give up a first rounder for a known commodity starting left tackle, even if they're due to make big bucks next year. Lock down a LT who will REALLY protect Ryan's back for the next 5 years. I realize that we have a lot of money in Baker, but Baker simply isn't getting it done, and in the long term, I can't see him as being a reliable LT.

I disagree. On general principle, I say you never give up a future #1 unless you're getting an elite player in his prime. What you're looking for in such a trade is similar to the Bucs getting Darrelle Revis, where the hope is that his next 5-7 years will be like the last 6 or so years that Charles Woodson had in Green Bay, where his play cemented himself as a HOFer. You have to ask the question, is a player of his caliber likely to become available again anytime soon? And if the answer is yes, then you don't pull that trade.

In the case of Albert and Monroe, both are Top 15 LTs, but they're not Joe Thomas, they're not Jason Peters. We've had 5-7 OT prospects over the past 4 drafts that were rated just as highly if not higher than Monroe/Albert were coming into the league. If I'm looking for an LT that I would be willing to give up a #1 for, the only player that comes close to meeting the criteria is Trent Williams.

I also think if you were to trade for say a Branden Albert or Eugene Monroe, you are paying well above market value. The Chiefs were prepped to trade Albert for a 2nd round pick this off-season. And now you're going to give them a #1 pick for him? Screw that.

The Falcons need an upgrade at LT for sure, but how much value is a Top 15 LT going to bring to the team? Unless you're getting a Joe Thomas or Jake Long in his prime, that can both be an elite pass protector AND an outstanding run blocker, then it's not worth that high a price. Albert is a good run blocker, but again, I'm not going to give up a #1 and then have to give him a 5 or 6 yr deal worth $8-10M/yr. on top of that. Just so I can move Baker to RT and he can suck there? Monroe is not a good enough run blocker to merit that #1 pick.

Not to mention, all of these players become free agents next year:

Jordan Gross (likely to retire)
Branden Albert
Eugene Monroe
Charles Brown
Marshall Newhouse
Michael Oher
Rodger Saffold
Anthony Collins
Jared Veldheer
David Diehl

It's the same argument as the Julio Jones trade. Would I rather have my 2012 #1 AND Torrey Smith or would I rather have Julio Jones? The argument for Jones is that you'd take him because he's an ELITE receiver, meaning he can/will be one of the 2 or 3 best WRs in the league for another 8-10 years potentially. That has obvious value for your offense.

Can you say the same about Monroe/Albert? And even if they were that good, how much value does that bring? Matt Ryan is such a skilled passer and has such a quick trigger, that he doesn't really need a top level LT to protect his blindside, because he's going to make him look better. Only 2 active QBs get sacked less than Ryan: Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees. And we know in the case of Brees, that he doesn't need a great LT to be effective. And we know that in Manning's case it is true. After Tarik Glenn retired in 2007, and Manning's blindside was protected by Tony Ugoh and Charlie Johnson, he wasn't sacked any more (in fact it was slightly less).

The smart play is to keep the #1 (and use it on another OL or DL), sign one of those aforementioned FAs, and move on. Does it mean we might wind up losing 2-4 mroe games this year than we would prefer? That's possible. But if you wind up mortgaging chasing a possibility that you only have a 3.1% of achieving to begin with, it's just not smart.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The smart play is to keep the #1 (and use it on another OL or DL), sign one of those aforementioned FAs, and move on. Does it mean we might wind up losing 2-4 mroe games this year than we would prefer? That's possible. But if you wind up mortgaging chasing a possibility that you only have a 3.1% of achieving to begin with, it's just not smart.

I agree. Lets start being smarter right now. I flipped out when I saw Sam Baker was
guaranteed 18 million.

I watch the coaches on the sidelines working with our O-Line during the game. I think its time for Ryan to get pissed at his line. Poor players playing poorly just can't be Coach Smith's fault or Ryans.

The only reason I mentioned Coach Smith getting fired was when we played Doug Johnson and he just wasn't NFL material. I think that caused Blank to make a lot of changes. If Blank bought into these Super Bowl predictions watch out.

If these guys on the line are really punks then we've seen their best play and they'll quit soon. I always liked Massaquoi and he could be good.

I always thought the field goal at the end of the half was to protect Ryan.

The difference in my thinking is besides Julio & Ryan we don't have many more star players. So during the coming marathon does this team move forward or backwards?? You got to love football and the weekly competition to play this game for 5 straight years maybe even 3. Sure we talk about the money but right now we have players thinking about their bodies.

We have to many players playing (including our rookies) who don't really know what it takes to finish off a season; and we've just started.

My question is will our O-line get better or worse as the season continues??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Nolan seems like the one coach we have that can roll with the punches and make things work. I may be a bit Pollyanna about it, but I think it will force us to do something different and what we were doing wasn't too spectacular so far.

Looks like we will be the Denver Nuggets of the 80s (or the Falcons of the June Jones era) with throwing 50 times a game and try and beat teams 50 - 44 if we can't get a running game going.

W

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

Last edited by Wease on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well, I'm sold on Konz holding his own this year. Reynolds has really surprised me... hopefully he doesn't get hurt again. <knocking profusely on wood> Everyone says that Holmes has tons of upside, but I have seen him get run over by DEs. I just don't know about Holmes. Blalock is who we though he was/is... Baker is going downhill in a hurry. He's either hurt, or he has cashed in and just wants out.

I'm with Cyril that SOMEONE needs to lead this team. Someone needs to knock some heads, kick some ass, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:49 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
Well, I'm sold on Konz holding his own this year..

King Konz will be our center for the next couple years, and barring injury, will be as good if not better then Baker has been, IMO. :ninja:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:05 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

From some of the plays I saw of the Rams game, I have 0 worries about Konz as our started for a while. Watch the Snelling TD, he completely turns the NT to allow Jason to get to the second level.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If Konz stays healthy, he'll be Ryan's center for the rest of Ryan's career.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:26 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
We need to figure out why this team cannot deliver a solid performance for four quarters

I think its been obvious for 2 years. Our defensive line can't rush the passer and Our
offensive line can't run block or pass block.

I believe time of possession has been one sided for the opponents for the third quarter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 am 

Cyril wrote:
Quote:
We need to figure out why this team cannot deliver a solid performance for four quarters

I think its been obvious for 2 years. Our defensive line can't rush the passer and Our
offensive line can't run block or pass block.

I believe time of possession has been one sided for the opponents for the third quarter.

Good points Cyril. The reasons why the Falcons lose leads are fairly obvious. They don't run the ball well, and their pass rush can't get make teams pay for going into catchup mode. Just look at the Week 1 DEN-BAL game. In the first half, Flacco had all day to throw. The minute the Ravens started to get behind in the 2nd half, the BRoncos pass rush starting getting to him. We got pressure on Bradford in the 2nd and early part of the 3rd, but none at the end of the 3rd and 4th when the Rams started scoring (i.e. when we needed it)

The Falcons tried running the ball a bit on 1st down in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and got nothing. And the Rams pass rush could get to us on 2nd and 3rd downs. But as has been the case the past two years, when the Falcons need to get a yard, they have yet to show they can.

If you choose to ignore those reasons and say it is some lack of a killer instinct that the coaches have yet to instill, then so be it.

If/when there is a day where the Falcons rushing attack isn't near the bottom of the league and their pass rush isn't near the bottom of the league, then I think that will be the same day we see the Falcons put together 4 good quarters of football consistently rather than just 2.

Fun stat for you to ponder on...

Bottom 5 teams in terms of % of run plays (records included)
28. Pittsburgh (0-2) - 28.7% offensive plays are runs
29. Washington (0-2) - 27.3%
30. Atlanta (1-1) - 25.9%
31. NY Giants (0-2) - 25.8%
32. Cleveland (0-2) - 24.6%

And as people may now be aware of, the rushing statistic that correlates the most with winning is how many attempts you have.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17938

It also doesn't help that the big play isn't a huge part of our passing attack. We rank 15th in terms of big plays per pass attempt, but are about 8th in 1st downs per pass attempt. Similar to last year, the trade-off is explosiveness for efficiency. But it appears we're a little more explosive and a little less efficient compared to last year. Probably has everything to do with our offense going through Julio and not Roddy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:38 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Well, you know that even though I've said, "killer instinct," I've also said that the lines need to be improved. I do think that the issues that plague us in the 2nd half of games have more to do with adjustments than with the limitations of our personnel. We seem to be very slow to adjust to a change in the opposition. Against the Rams, we had a whole 3rd quarter of 3 and outs to prove it.

IMHO, we should come out in the 2nd half in the no-huddle, and we should be using screens or slants right off the bat.

I also think that our running game would be a lot more effective if we used the pass to set up the run. It worked absolutely perfectly in our 2nd half touchdown drive against the Rams.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:30 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

My opinion only but Baker was horrid vs. the Rams. Holmes still got beat at times but not nearly as often as Baker did. Often Holmes would get pushed back but still hold his ground enough for Ryan to read the options and make a play. Baker gave up pressures that altered the original plan and forced Ryan to rollout.

If I were to rank the linemen right now it's:

Blalock (and it's not even close)
Reynolds (a solid second)
Konz
Holmes
Baker

That said, Baker has played hurt so his position of last is skewed. Once he's healthy I suspect he'll move up the ladder some.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:24 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I am being rushed out the door, so I will post it here. Don't sleep on Miami. The defense is playing excellent and the offense is coming along. Watch Wallace.

I hate being in ATL.