It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Sky Isn't Falling: Injury Edition
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I might have to make this a weekly feature.

Anyway for those that don't know, Kroy Biermann and Bradie Ewing are out for the season. The injury bug has struck once again, similar to last year with Brent Grimes. Even though Biermann was an integral part of the defense, this isn't a monumental loss. It does hurt because Biermann really works his tail off and can play so many different roles on the defense. That being said, he's no Babineaux, Weatherspoon, Moore, Samuel or even Osi for that matter. At the end of the day, we'll miss Biermann for all the effort he brought to the table.

Last year, we saw Robert McClain set up when Brent Grimes went down. We'll see if Goodman (doubt it) or Massaqoui can take his place, although the Falcons need to sign a veteran pass rusher. They can survive on the strong side playing Bartu or Nicholas to play that side. The linebacker depth is more than good right now, so that shouldn't be the agenda. Right now, the Falcons need a veteran pass rusher just to make sure they have depth. Matthews offers nothing as a d-end so no point of even putting him into the equation.

The three pass rushers I'd look at are Kyle Vanden Bosch, Jaqua Parker, or Mark Anderson. You guys can talk about the three below, but I feel all three of them could add something. Vanden Bosch and Parker are both pretty old, but I'm hoping this is only for one year so does age really matter? I've always felt Parker was underrated and could add something. The same goes for Anderson, even though he's been very inconsistent in his career.

As for the full back slot, do they just start Snelling? I'm not sure about his blocking, that'll be up to Pudge and Cap to judge. Ewing will probably only have one more chance now as a Falcon. If he gets hurt again, he'll probably get cut.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Sky Isn't Falling: Injury Edition
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah, I figured those two were going to be out for a while. Sucks to lose Biermann.

I would hope that we just plug Snelling in at fullback and call it a day. We were already carrying 6 RBs.

I don't think we're going to be able to find anyone to replace Biermann at this point. We might be able to grab up another veteran situational player.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The hope is that Bartu can continue his solid play at OLB, while a situational pass rusher is going to be signed.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:54 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

You get a guy like Cheta Ozougwu for depth at DE, and hope Massaquoi can make the leap?

Then, have Snelling and Josh Vaughan split time as FB?

I'd hate to relegate Snelling to purely FB duties, since he is so versatile, and Josh is almost the same size/speed as BrokeDown Ewing (I know he hasn't been trained primarily as a FB, just throwing something out there)?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... ard-TD-run

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:05 pm 

Snelling goes to near full time duties at Fullback IMO. I don't suspect S-Jax will miss any time due to the thigh injury so moving to Snelling to FB isn't a big deal since Quizz is the change-of-pace back.

I'm hoping that Massaquoi steps up with Biermann out. Massaquoi is due to breakout if he ever wants to be more than a backup/rotational defensive end in Atlanta or just about anywhere else.

No reason to hit the panic button regarding injuries just yet. Losing a player like Biermann should not derail an entire season for most defenses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:46 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I'd like to see us sign John "Terminator" Connor. Always liked him as a blocker but yes, Snelling can fill that role. He's a hard worker, lunch pale kind of guy.

As for DE, I just don't think we'd get anything right now worth having. We may sign someone for depth but I fully expect Mass/Goodman to get most of the snaps...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:49 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Emmitt wrote:
I might have to make this a weekly feature.

Anyway for those that don't know, Kroy Biermann and Bradie Ewing are out for the season. The injury bug has struck once again, similar to last year with Brent Grimes. Even though Biermann was an integral part of the defense, this isn't a monumental loss. It does hurt because Biermann really works his tail off and can play so many different roles on the defense. That being said, he's no Babineaux, Weatherspoon, Moore, Samuel or even Osi for that matter. At the end of the day, we'll miss Biermann for all the effort he brought to the table.

Weatherspoon on IR.
I blame you Emmitt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

According to the NFL network Spoon is not on a season ending IR, but one that keeps him out to week 11. I was unaware this was even an option. Anyways, this obviously is horrible news, gonna have to sign an LB in the meantime imho.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:13 pm 

They added what amounts to a short-term IR (More akin to how the MLB DL works) as part of the CBA I believe.

A player gets a "short term" designation when being placed on the IR. That player goes to the IR and is eligible to return after 8 weeks. Not sure what the limitation is on how many times a team can use that tag though.

I hope one of the UFA Linebacker's can step up because losing both Spoon & Biermann hurts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

NFL network just reported Jackson out 2-4 weeks :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:25 pm 

The sky is indeed officially falling now...

We lost 4 starters in one game. Good God, what did we do to piss off the football God's so badly??

Biermann, Ewing, Spoon all to IR (with Spoon eligible to comeback in 8 weeks).

S-Jax now done for at least a week it would seem or as many reports now indicate 2-4 weeks.

Roddy White & Julio Jones? Banged up.

Asante Samuel? Banged up.

:cry:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:

We lost 4 starters in one game. Good God, what did we do to piss off the football God's so badly??

Biermann, Ewing, Spoon all to IR (with Spoon eligible to comeback in 8 weeks).

S-Jax now done for at least a week it would seem or as many reports now indicate 2-4 weeks.

Roddy White & Julio Jones? Banged up.

Asante Samuel? Banged up.

:cry:

The law of averages weren't on our side. We've been relatively healthy the last 4-5 years. Gonzo might be rethinking his retirement decision right about now. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:51 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:45 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

Well for one we went about talking like the playoffs are a right; not something you earn?? The owner; coaches and players forgot you play the preseason to get ready for the season, then those 16 games COUNT!!

iN THE NFL when you act like we've acted, the football gods just won't hurt you; they'll crush you!!