It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vs Rams Offense goes missing after 1st quarter again.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:16 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Our offense scored 3 points from the beginning of the 2nd quarter till about 7 mins left in the game. Two and a half quarters, 3 points. Our offense cannot continue to disappear for half of the game.

We can't keep doing this and expect to win this year. Our OTs are complete garbage. Matt is getting hammered. Matt IS going to get hurt if this keeps up.

It is apparent that we have little confidence in our run game, and rightfully so. We get little/no push. Can't wait to see the PFF grades and what Cappy has to write this week.

Honestly, I don't see us making the playoffs unless we make a major move at OT. At this rate, I predict that we'll finish 9-7, 2nd in the NFC south, and 1st runner up for a wildcard slot.

On the defensive side, I have only one negative thing to say... Dent sucks. He should not be on the field. He is a huge liability in pass coverage, and we are going to find ourselves constantly getting gashed when he's out there. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd rather see Spoon, Nicholas, and Bartu on the field. If not Nicholas, then Worrilow. Dent needs to be on the sidelines unless we're playing a Mike Mularkey run offense.

And holy goodness are the injuries starting to pile up!

Post subject: Re: vs Rams Offense goes missing after 1st quarter again.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Oh, I almost forgot, Jaquizz Rodgers has turned into Michael Turner 2.0. WAY too much stopping and dancing around. He needs to pick a hole and go for it. If there is not hole, kick it OUTSIDE. DO YOU KNOW WHAT OUTSIDE IS JAQUIZZ? It's that thing by the sideline. Someone must have told you that the sideline eats running backs, but it's actually your friend. Go find it.

Kudos to Julio, Harry, Gonzo, SNELLING, Roddy, and Matt Ryan. Matt continues to prove that he's the best QB that we've ever had.

On defense, kudos to Trufant, Alford, McClain, Bartu, Spoon, and Moore. Honorable mention to Massaquoi, who seemed to provide decent pressure once Osi and Biermann were no longer contributing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

One last thing... I got to see both Matt Ryan and Mike Smith give up on our offensive line today. Mike Smith did it with 16 seconds to go in the first quarter. Matt Ryan did it with 7 seconds to go in the 3rd quarter. (probably should have been a safety)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Good Posts and good observations Robert. I'd like to add the absence of a pass rush. 'Osi' gets credit for one batted ball but little else. After Bierman left there was little pressure on Bradford. The rookie corners again saved our butt.

Nice to see you recognize the importance of a good OL Robert. 8-) I also liked watching Harvey Dahl play a penalty free game. Too bad he's with the Rams. Next week we'll watch Clabo. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm not going to discount Osi's pick 6 John O. That was the difference in the game, after all. But you're right, beyond that and the tipped ball, he didn't do much today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

OH GEEZE... I totally forgot one. 1st and 10. 1:40 left in the 4th quarter. You're up by 7. Opponent has no timeouts... What do you do?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It's becoming really sad when I'm expecting Rob to flip out after every Falcons game at this point.

When the team is healthy, then start to make judgements about not making the playoffs. Until then, I'll continue to laugh at these posts. The o-line has been bad as advertised, but remember Jackson wasn't healthy. If Jackson and Roddy are healthy, the Falcons score 40 points in this game. Stop overreacting, it's getting old.

Also don't forget Jake Long is one of the best tackles in the league. Osi had his moments which was the best you can ask going up against Long. With Spoon, Biermann, and Samuel hurt it didn't surprise me to see the defense crack.

Only concern right now is DeCoud, who really needs to start tackling better. I'm a big fan of DeCoud, but wow he's becoming a liability as a tackler. Thankfully William Moore can spinebuster people :up: .

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:48 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
OH GEEZE... I totally forgot one. 1st and 10. 1:40 left in the 4th quarter. You're up by 7. Opponent has no timeouts... What do you do?

*shakes Magic Eight Ball* :ninja:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:56 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I can already tell you that my write up probably won't be favorable towards Baker and Dent. I'll wait until I can look closely at it but I'm pretty sure those will remain true. I don't recall a bunch of plays coming from Holmes side (although I did see a few) so we'll see on that one.

What was clear just watching the broadcast, etc is that Dent isn't a cover LB. Bartu has a lot of upside and it's clear there's no trust in the o-line right now especially with all the quick pass playcalls. I'm curious to see what's going on with the run game. I know there were a couple of plays that the numbers just weren't in our favor and we tried running anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The only reason why Dent had to cover so much today was because Spoon was hurt. In those situations when Atlanta is winning by two possessions or more, Spoon and Bartu will be in there.

Also for the people that are saying the tackles suck. They have played terrible so far this season, but do you forget that Quinn and Long are probably the best pass rushing duo in the league? Seriously recognize the opposition before overreacting. I like everyone on the forum, it's just getting silly with these overreactions.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:47 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Emmitt wrote:
The only reason why Dent had to cover so much today was because Spoon was hurt. In those situations when Atlanta is winning by two possessions or more, Spoon and Bartu will be in there.

Also for the people that are saying the tackles suck. They have played terrible so far this season, but do you forget that Quinn and Long are probably the best pass rushing duo in the league? Seriously recognize the opposition before overreacting. I like everyone on the forum, it's just getting silly with these overreactions.

I hope you are correct on Dent. As for who the tackles go up against, it's just not a good enough reason for the level of team that we have. You can use that one if there's a play here or there but unfortunately, Baker has been more than just here and there. Not sure on Holmes this game but I still think he has good upside and does have the ability, just a matter of experience for him. He's one I'm looking for improvement each week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't think that it's an overreaction. The tackles looked absolutely horrible last week. Against better competition, they looked worse this week. What is a bit of a surprise is that Baker has been as bad, if not worse than Holmes. I wasn't expecting that. When you have your own players saying, "our linemen are punks," things are starting to unravel.

I agree on Holmes upside Cappy, but I still think that we need to do something to that line right now. This offense needs to gel. It's not going to gel if the QB is getting hammered constantly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Fair enough. Baker didn't practice that much this week, so I'm willing to give him a pass for now. Obviously he needs to get his act together, hopefully he can heal up soon. Not trying to disrespect anyone on the forum, just think it's silly to totally bash the team right now when so many key players were hurt.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Glad they held on for the win, but the injuries were a killer this week. I have no great analysis. From what I saw, the secondary played well, DeCoud aside (he really needs to learn how to take a proper angle toward a ballcarrier). Bartu and Spoon looked good. Everything else was so-so, but somehow forced a ton of 3 and outs in the first half.

Offensively, they continue to sputter out in the 3rd quarter. Wish whomever was giving the halftime speeches would defer the job to somebody else. Ewing may be done in Atl and I'm fearful that Biermann may be out for the year. Ugh. I've never seen so many injuries in one game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think that the Falcons need to move on from Ewing. I can't remember a player who has started his career with more injuries. He simply cannot stay healthy. Will Overstreet perhaps?

Biermann worries me. I'm thinking it's either achilllies, or a sprained ankle. Either way, he's going to miss a LOT of time.

But you know, I am less concerned about the defensive line than I am the offensive line. Nothing we do to the defensive line at this point is going to greatly effect our season. We know that our pass rush is going to suck. We know that our secondary is young and inexperienced. Ultimately, our offense's ability to score points is going to be what determines whether or not we make the playoffs.

Here's a really scary thought... What happens if Baker or Holmes go down?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:24 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Look the O-LINE isn't hurt!! I think some should pay more attention to the starters in preseason because we're just experiencing what we got in Preseason.

As to the offense going to sleep they do and they have. I think that's mostly on the O-line. I mean you could as easily blame Coach Smith or Ryan himself; some would say its about leadership..... I don't think we've had great O-lines since Coach Smith and Ryan got here. To say our O-LINE doesn't get a push or protect Ryan well enough is an understatement. So I think our line saves 100% for opening drives and
emergency's. (I'm not saying their loafing just usually going about 96% )

Most linemen take a few plays partially off to make it through the game. These guys aren't good enough to do that!! The elite teams usually have better back-ups so when someone goes down its not a total nightmare.

We were plain dull in the 3rd quarter!!

The good news is it was a win!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:34 am 
Starter
Starter

I'm no expert, bu my two cents is that the focus goes from an aggressive, attacking offense, to a lets establish the run and control the clock offense. The main problem with that is we can't run the ball. I mean how come we can barely get a first down for 4 drives, and then all of a sudden when the rams get within a touchdown we march down the field and score. I've just learned to live with it and thats just the way we are going to be. As for this weeks clock management, I think we were worried we would give up a sack at the end of the first half. The end of the game was laughable, just stupid to run plays instead of taking a knee.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:20 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Bartu got burned just as much in coverage as Dent did. The amount of bias here is ridiculous.

Dent gets beat 3 times, and he's TERRIBLE in coverage! Spoon gets beat three times...crickets. Bartu gets beat three times...crickets.

I'm not trying to argue that Dent is some great coverage linebacker. He's very limited. But people act like he's this huge liability that is killing the defense when he's not getting beat anymore than the other linebackers on the field.

I see this "analysis" on twitter often, and on this forum as well. People have this preconceived notions about players, and the minute that player makes a mistake, "OH here's terrible and he's killing us." I've seen it all the time with people ripping Todd McClure over the years on the rare occasions he would give up pressure. Yet several other guys up front give up pressure 3 or 4 times a game, and no one utters a word.

And the opposite happens as well. When a player makes a routine play, but people have this notion that he's awesome and have an agenda to promote their guy, they will make that play seem like it was the one that saved the Falcons season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:52 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Pudge wrote:
Bartu got burned just as much in coverage as Dent did. The amount of bias here is ridiculous.

Dent gets beat 3 times, and he's TERRIBLE in coverage! Spoon gets beat three times...crickets. Bartu gets beat three times...crickets.

I'm not trying to argue that Dent is some great coverage linebacker. He's very limited. But people act like he's this huge liability that is killing the defense when he's not getting beat anymore than the other linebackers on the field.

I see this "analysis" on twitter often, and on this forum as well. People have this preconceived notions about players, and the minute that player makes a mistake, "OH here's terrible and he's killing us." I've seen it all the time with people ripping Todd McClure over the years on the rare occasions he would give up pressure. Yet several other guys up front give up pressure 3 or 4 times a game, and no one utters a word.

And the opposite happens as well. When a player makes a routine play, but people have this notion that he's awesome and have an agenda to promote their guy, they will make that play seem like it was the one that saved the Falcons season.

I'd prefer every player be awesome but objectively, Dent is easily the worse player in coverage and it's why the coaches replaced him after the 1 week experiment. Bartu did make a few mistakes but none of them "gashed" us like the ones Dent makes. Add in the fact the amount of plays Bartu or Weatherspoon make and Dent doesn't measure up to that. He's a very good 2 down linebacker unfortunately for him, it's a passing league.

Right now, I'd look o-line and a couple of linebackers in the draft (with safety, wide receiver, and running back possibly in the mix)...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'd be looking at TE in the draft as well, though it is early this year... Toilolo has caught 1 pass after two weeks. Coffman has 0. A large part of that may be that Ryan has to throw the ball after two steps, so he never gets to look at his 4th and 5th options.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:27 pm 

Capologist wrote:
I'd prefer every player be awesome but objectively, Dent is easily the worse player in coverage and it's why the coaches replaced him after the 1 week experiment. Bartu did make a few mistakes but none of them "gashed" us like the ones Dent makes. Add in the fact the amount of plays Bartu or Weatherspoon make and Dent doesn't measure up to that. He's a very good 2 down linebacker unfortunately for him, it's a passing league.

Right now, I'd look o-line and a couple of linebackers in the draft (with safety, wide receiver, and running back possibly in the mix)...

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Dent's coverage issues don't gash the Falcons anymore than Alford, McClain, Moore, DeCoud, Spoon, etc.

Is Bartu better for coverage than Dent? Yes. He's faster and more fluid. But what I'm disagreeing with is this idea that Dent is the worst in coverage or this significant liability that is holding back the defense. That somehow when he's on the field, that the defense is a big pass play waiting to happen, and the minute he's on the sideline, the defense is suddenly 10x better.

There was a play vs. the Rams where Bartu stumbled trying to cover Jared Cook. And if it had been Dent in coverage, people would have said, "Oh look how terrible Dent is, he can't even stay on his feet!" But it's Bartu, and there's not a peep.

I want to stress the distinction between Dent is limited in coverage, and Dent is horrible in coverage. The first one is definitely true. The second one I do not believe is true.

IMO, the Falcons should have brought in LB/dime specialist this off-season. Maybe Bartu grows into that role, we'll see. But maybe it's because I've been reviewing games the last 4 years, and seen the struggles of Lofton and Nicholas, and while it does limit the defense's effectiveness, it's not killing the defense most of the time. IMO, Dent is better than either of them, albeit by a small degree, and thus understanding that, I'm not going to act like his presence on the field is now suddenly killing the D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:55 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge, you do realize that in these last few posts you are playing the exact same game you are accusing other people of doing, right? Over simplifying an opposing point of view largely due to pre-conceived personal perspective?

I've never been too big on ripping too many players and I don't re-watch games or have all 22 but I've read from a couple different sources that Bartu's game was pretty well thought of and any player's worth is going to be somewhat attached to their draft status. When you find a Brent Grimes in FA that is far more remarkable than Trufant working out. Dent was a 3rd round pick, I think, and there are expectations involved with that. Coming out he was described as a "thumper" and a bit of a coverage liability so I think there is going to be a tendency to see him in those terms. The LB he replaced, C. Lofton, was not a big cover guy either but I think CL had made more significant plays than Dent has at the same point in his career. Don't take this to mean I am down on Dent but rather that I see the criticisms. I was probably overly critical of Ryan, for example, and , again, this is an outcropping of the franchise saver tag. Though I think he has limitations I have come to be a very big fan and to realize I know next to nothing about these players though historians agree that I was the first and greatest fan of Sir Grimes. :wink:

In truth, aside from the freaks--and every team has a couple-- there really is not a huge difference in ability from one player to the next. The effect of injuries and age are the great unknown from the Peanut Gallery....not to mention mental attitude. The coaches who see these guys week in and week out at practice more often than not get it right as to who should be on the field though salaries inevitably play a role. To shift gears and look across town it is the ONLY reason a BJ Upton or D. Uggla started as long as they did for the Braves this year. Same holds true although probably even more so with college scholarship athletes versus walk ons.

Whatever is happening with the LBs and DBs it seems the team has done something to better cover TEs which is, I think, quite often on LB. While criticizing the D as soft is not without merit I do think they are getting faster which may be more important in the state of the modern NFL.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:47 pm 

backnblack wrote:
Pudge, you do realize that in these last few posts you are playing the exact same game you are accusing other people of doing, right? Over simplifying an opposing point of view largely due to pre-conceived personal perspective?

Call me blind, but I don't believe I am. Okay, maybe I am. But let me explain why it's different.

Look, I think it's very clear that Bartu is better for the Falcons than Dent. That proof is in the pudding. If I made a claim otherwise, then I retract such claim and would prefer it stricken from the record.

The claim I want to suggest is that the difference between Dent and Bartu in coverage is by degrees. Look, Dent is covering players like Marques Colston, Darren Sproles, Tavon Austin, and Chris Givens. There may be a reality where Dent is expected to lock down those guys, but it is not this reality. So the idea that people are concluding that he's "terrible" in coverage (or any other similar adjective) because those players are beating him, to me suggests a clear bias. Bartu got beat a few times by Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks in the game. But nobody is suggesting that he's somehow a liability.

My good friend Scott Carasik tweeted during the game on a player where Bartu got beat, basically excusing him for getting beat by one of those quick Rams WRs:

https://twitter.com/ScottCarasik/status ... 5795854336

Then about an hour later, the same happened to Dent, and this is what he offered:

https://twitter.com/ScottCarasik/status ... 9910579200

As you can tell, I called him out on that. But not to throw Scott under the bus, but I see that sort of subjective analysis all the time.

I'm not trying to sit here and suggest I'm this unassailable bastion of objectivity. Look, I admittedly gave Baker a pass vs. the Rams and did not for Holmes. IMO, Baker struggled vs. Quinn due to his speed. Baker had a bad wheel, and Quinn is emerging as the sort of dominant pass rusher I envisioned when I considered him one of the 3 best players in the 2011 draft class (alongside Patrick Peterson & Marcell Dareus). When you have a bum knee (and later a bum foot), not being able to match Quinn's speed on your kick-slide is a likely consequence. Plus, I thought Baker did a better job matching Quinn's speed as the game went on. Not a good job mind you, but a better job.

Holmes OTOH I don't give such a pass, because IMO he was getting beat by an injured Chris Long not because of pure speed but because Holmes didn't use his hands. He wasn't punching. And you have to punch in this league. Holmes has 60+ pounds on Long, but that size advantage is negated if he doesn't use his hands. He forgot to, too often. I can excuse a physical limitation much more easily than I can excuse a technical limitation.

For example, if Matt Ryan gets picked off trying to throw a 60-yard bomb, but underthrows it because his arm isn't strong enough, it's not nearly as bad as if Matt Ryan throws another INT because he didn't set his feet or threw side-arm (i.e. bad footwork/mechanics = technical issue).

But let's get back to Akeem Dent and the LBs. There are many instances where Sean Weatherspoon gets beat in coverage. He got beat a number of times by Darren Sproles in Week 1 (as did other Falcon defenders). But IMO it seems like no one cares or bothers when Spoon gets beat. Look I made the comment on the podcast multiple times over the past year that Spoon got destroyed by Darren Sproles last year and it would behoove the Falcons to get a coverage option at LB (or dime back) specifically to try and check Sproles since Spoon cannot. But the common response to "Spoon can't check Sproles" is "Well who can?"

Look Spoon got beat by Tiquan Underwood on a similar play as the one where Dent got "beat" by Colston last year:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... yard-catch

Against the Raiders last year, just after Asante's pick six, the Raiders began driving. In that game, Spoon had some plays where he was out of position agianst Brandon Myers. On 3rd & 11 of that final Raiders drive, he gave up a completion to Myers which moved the sticks. The very next play, Samuel bit up to try and jump the route to Myers (who Spoon was covering), but then Palmer beat Samuel with a 38-yard pass to Denarius Moore.

The point is that I'm trying to illustrate that Spoon also struggles in coverage. Contrary to popular belief, Spoon contributed quite a bit to the Falcons inability to cover TEs last year alongside Nicholas. But people find excuses for him. Most of them begin with something along the lines of "Well, Spoon makes up for it at other times." And those people would be right.

Dent does not. Or at least has not. Why? Because he has 2 games in which we're judging, while Spoon has 30 or 40.

I see this stuff all the time on twitter and on this message board, where I think people overrate one players' struggles and underrate another's because of some pre-conceived bias.

For example, let's go back to a thread last year, where Todd McClure was coming off a "bad" game where people took that opportunity to crush McClure for his years of suckitude.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17783&start=0

That thread was helped by the pre-conceived notion that many people had (and still have) that Todd McClure was a liability on the Falcons front, and the minute he had a bad game, "We should have gotten rid of him years ago!" Never mind the fact that the week before, he was the best OL on the field.

A few years ago, it was the same thing with Thomas DeCoud. He gets beat in single coverage by Robert Meachem or Marques Colston, and it's "Oh, DeCoud sucks!"

This summer, it was Patrick DiMarco is terrible, and Bradie Ewing is awesome. Ewing is maybe 2 degrees better than DiMarco. Ewing was by no means the 2nd coming of Ovie Mughelli. He was at this point in his career more like the 2nd coming of Mike Cox, a player that without the Falcons would have been unable to find a job for the past 2 years.

To me this Dent thing is just another example of this. It's all confirmation bias. I see it on twitter and this forum all the time. Look, as I said earlier, do I have it as well? Absolutely. I'm not naive enough to suggest that I don't. But I make the effort to avoid it and I wish others would do more of the same.

The reality is that these are opinions. As Cappy & I illustrate, we can watch the same tape and come to different conclusions. Hell, the Falcons do it too. They concluded that the left side of their OL merited $80 million in investments over the past 2 years, but were unwilling to invest $45 million in their right side.

The eye in the sky never lies, but guess what? The eye in the sky doesn't share its observations, fallible people do. Cappy and the rest of the world are welcome to their own opinions, but as anybody who is a frequenter of this forum over the years knows, if that opinion is different from my own, you're going to get 25,000 words on why you're wrong. :wink: So I'm suggesting you better have something to back it up.

And if you're basically villifying Dent for getting beat 2 or 3 times, but not doing the same for Spoon or Bartu, then maybe you need to step back and reevaluate.

I think Cappy is doing an excellent job, and I don't mean this to suggest somehow it invalidates all of his opinions because it does not. I just think he's falling into the trap that I see many others do too often with confirmation bias. But then again, Cappy is also the president of the Todd McClure sucks fan club...so there's that... :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:05 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Look, you could cut down those 25,000 words by not putting look at the beginning of so many sentences. That's my biased observation. :lol:

I certainly agree about confirmation bias or whatever you want to call it. I guess Brooking was the classic case...or maybe even Vick. But everybody here is not doing that. How anyone can evaluate Ewing relative to Cox is kind of remarkable to me given the body of work we have been able to see from Ewing. Likewise with Bartu and Dent. I do feel there si a certain curb appeal that players have based on their ability or lack thereof to turn int he occasional spectacular play. For example, you always hear more criticism of DeCoud than Moore because Moore brings the wood more often. I actually think they are both pretty good though DeCoud has had a few ugly missed tackles lately. I'm largely an apologist though probably stemming from the fact that most of us and myself at the heap's top know diddly squat about any of this stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Can I join the Todd McClure sucks fan club? ;) Of course, I don't think he SUCKS, I just think that he's physically weak for a center and makes up for it in some ways with his intelligence.

I think that the reason people get upset with Dent and not with Bartu is because Dent is visibly beat. We see him chasing people down the field. With Bartu, the only obvious case where he was, "beat," he fell down. If I recall correctly, even then, he got right back up and made the tackle.