this year the wheels fly off the TD bandwagon..

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Re: this year the wheels fly off the TD bandwagon..

Postby Pudge » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:55 am

Pudge wrote:The fact that Roberto Garza has gone on to start 8 years in Chicago since departing Atlanta I think would suggest that McClure beating him out directly in '02 or '03 (can't remember exactly which year) is not exactly some meaningless accomplishment.
Cyril wrote:Jeez I said that a year ago and you threw a fit towards me.

If you're referencing this post Cyril, then I don't think that conversation went as you recall it going:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14751

Not to mention the notion of McClure beating Garza out being a feather in his cap and the decision to let Garza go are two different conversations.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar

Re: this year the wheels fly off the TD bandwagon..

Postby RobertAP » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Pudge wrote:If/when the Falcons O-line manages to stink this year sans McClure, maybe, just maybe it will quell the myth that McClure was holding us back for the past 13 years. :roll:

If the line stinks this year, I think it will have more to do with the right side of the line being weak/inexperienced. I have little concern for Konz picking up the center position and running with it. Perhaps THIS year, he will struggle at times, but I suspect that he will be at least as effective as McClure in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that McClure, "held us back." But I do think that McClure was an athletically weak NFL center. He made up for that with his intelligence.

Return to “The Huddle”