It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons to scour the waiver wire for line..... help!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:26 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Posted: 4:10 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 28, 2013

Falcons to scour the waiver wire for line help

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH – The personnel action around the NFL will be fast and furious from Thursday night through Saturday at 9 p.m., when teams must cut down from 75 players to 53.

The Falcons, as they have in each of the past five seasons under general manager Thomas Dimitroff, will closely monitor the league-wide cuts. They are young along the offensive line and at quarterback.

Kicker Jeremy Shelley is getting a chance to audition for teams looking for a field goal kicker in the final exhibition against Jacksonville at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Georgia Dome.

Shelley made three of four kicks against Tennessee. He missed a 46-yarder. Veteran kicker Matt Bryant is expected back for the season opener. They Falcons are not likely to carry two kickers into the season.

“I think that Matt’s back is going to be fine, but there’s nothing that is not possible in the NFL,” said Falcons coach Mike Smith when asked if he planned to carry two kickers into the season. “I think Matt is going to be fine. He progressed (Tuesday) in kicking and with the routine that we’ve got him going through. We received good reports.”

The right veteran tackle, guard or quarterback could be intriguing. The Falcons appear to be stuffed along the defensive line, at linebacker and in the secondary.

There weren’t any intriguing players in the cut down to 75 players, so the Falcons passed.

They are fired up about this weekend’s cuts and will strike if they find a player they like.

Here are some of the players with local ties who were released in the cut down to 75 players:

Buffalo -- WR Da'Rick Rogers (Calhoun High)

Baltimore -- G/OT Ramon Harewood (Morehouse)

Chicago -- TE Leonard Pope (Georgia)

Denver – CB Mario Butler (Georgia Tech)

Detroit -- S Chris Hope (Falcons 2012) and CB DeQuan Menzie (Columbus Carver High).

New Orleans -- WR Tim Toone (Falcons 2012)

Pittsburgh -- QB John Parker Wilson (Falcons 2009-11)

Tampa Bay -- DB Branden Smith (Georgia, Washington High)

Post subject: Re: Falcons to scour the waiver wire for line..... help!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:09 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm kind of hoping that there will be something more than just monitoring the waiver wire. Given all of the young talent at WR and LB, I'd give strong consideration to moving Nicholas, Dent, or Douglas (and low round future picks) in exchange for a serviceable tackle or guard. Peria Jerry would also be on my trade block, but I doubt anyone would have any interest in him. (not that they'd be that much more interested in the previous trio)

Post subject: Re: Falcons to scour the waiver wire for line..... help!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:27 pm 

Peria Jerry isn't on the trade block he's on the chopping block and should be cut during the final cut down. You aren't going to get anything from him on trade and typically there aren't a ton of trades at this point of the year especially for potential chop block players.