All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Five Falcons to Watch Tonight vs. Titans
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:24 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://falcfans.com/five-falcons-to-wat ... itans-8786

Five Falcons to Watch Tonight vs. Titans
August 24th, 2013 Aaron Freeman Edit Leave a comment Go to comments

Tonight against the Tennessee Titans will function much like a dress rehearsal for the regular season. The Falcons have game-planned for the Titans, and the starters will likely see their most extensive action of the preseason. They are expected to play all of the first half and also might get a series or two in the second half.

While preseason records don’t count, the third preseason typically is the Falcons’ best because of their primary reliance on starters. Under Mike Smith, the Falcons are 4-1 in their third preseason game. That represents 4 of only 7 preseason wins the Falcons have earned under Smith over the past five summers. So when it comes to treating these exhibition games like the real games, the team is exceedingly good.

The players to watch will focus mainly on the starters:

FB Bradie Ewing

Tonight will be Ewing’s first preseason action, and frankly his first NFL action after suffering a season-ending injury early in his first preseason action last year as a rookie while working on special teams. He has yet to line up on offense with the Falcons. Ewing is expected to man the starting fullback position. While Patrick DiMarco hasn’t run away with the spot in his absence, Ewing will need to have a solid debut and if he can get one clean, hole-clearing hit on a Titans linebacker to spring Steven Jackson, it’ll be a successful night.

TE Tony Gonzalez

This will mark Gonzo’s only action of the preseason. There are zero questions surrounding Gonzalez, but it will be nice to see him on the field. He’s both a security blanket for Matt Ryan and also the fans. As long as he’s healthy and playing, things are going to be okay.

DT Peria Jerry

I have been a firm believer that when the time comes, the Falcons will opt to dump Jerry due to his high salary and lacking production when final cuts are made next weekend. But I’ve been wrong before. Jerry has been working extensively with the team’s starters when Mike Nolan has used a 3-man front, playing left defensive end. Jerry has made minimal contributions as a Falcon since his injury in 2009, and if things are going to be different in 2013, it needs to show up tonight.

DE Jonathan Massaquoi

With the starters expected to get a full first half of play, it will be interesting to see how much the Falcons try to mix Massaquoi in with the group and how effective he is going up against the Titans’ starting offensive tackles. Massaquoi has been the one shining spot among the backups when it has come to getting pressure on the quarterback, and the Falcons will likely employ him in a rotation with Biermann and Umenyiora once the regular season starts. But how many reps he earns may depend on how strong a showing he has tonight.

OLB Sean Weatherspoon

Tonight will be Spoon’s first action of the preseason. And while Spoon is not in a position where he needs to prove himself, like with Gonzalez, it will be nice to see him on the field nonetheless. He’s coming off a lackluster (by his standards) 2012 season, and it will be nice to see if he can kick off his 2013 performance with a good start tonight.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Five Falcons to Watch Tonight vs. Titans
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Our O-line looks like trash!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:07 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah, I want to say more but I really have nothing more right now. Quite frustrated with the right side of the line. It looks horrible. Time for TD to make a move, though I have no idea what moves there are to make. If he doesn't do something, Ryan is going to get killed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:58 am 

Part of it is the vanilla play-calling from preseason. In a real game, the Falcons would make adjustments to try and better deal with the pressure.

But this is nothing new. The Falcons OL has been poor the past two years. They'll manage to suffice in the regular season. Come the playoffs though, it'll probably be a major liability.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:06 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I noticed the line can't even pick up stunts, wait till their are blitzs!!

We also can make any Qb look good without a pass rush. I thought the players Pudge mentioned looked good. I lost track of
DE Jonathan Massaquo. Our # 50 does not remind me of Abe.

I pretty much take it with a grain of salt till the opener.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:24 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Come the playoffs, the right side will have played together for 16 games (hopefully), and will be a lot more used to each other. Expecting them to come in and play off each other perfectly (and to have Konz look their way consistently) isn't going to happen yet.

Look: I'd love to have a better combo than Reynolds and Holmes, but what I saw was a lot better than I expected when I saw 5 sacks and RAP's post.

The line looked shaky; that cannot be argued. However, it seemed to be against the blitz more than anything, and it really was across the board, not just the RT side. Blalock got eaten up, Baker held, R&H blew a transfer block on a play that Konz was unnecessarily looking left . . . and Ryan really looked off a bit. There's got to be someone coming open on those five-six-man blitzes, and Ryan just didn't look sure a lot.

If I had to hand out WTF cards, they'd probably go to Ryan (who can play and better play a bit better than that, though I might also be blaming him for the drops by proxy) and the safety play (by instincts or design, they were out of position a bit).

The OL wasn't good, but it wasn't the train wreck I expected, and several of the issues look like they might be repp'ed out, like how they adjust to the stunts. It's probably better to have that tape to come back and watch during the year so that it doesn't happen again.

Added note: Anyone still want to start Alford over Trufant? Work in progress.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:30 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Alford really didn't look all that horrible. Again, the issue is lack of pressure on the QB. All of that aside, we couldn't stop the run either. The Falcons are going to have to win games with the offense, and unless the right side of the line develops very quickly, that's not looking too good. Hopefully, Pudge is correct in thinking that this is just preseason and that we will fix the problems during regular season games.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:54 pm 

Reactions to Falcons-Titans:

http://falcfans.com/reactions-to-falcons-titans-8795

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:51 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:

intertesting read. agree with most, but not your DT conclusions..Call it a 'hunch' but (barring injury) I think this will be a breakout year for Peters...Like Babs 09 good.

:ninja:

Pudge, I know you have the All-22...Couple of questions:

do they use the all 22 in preseason? do you only get Falcons games, or all the teams?

is it just like coach' film, meaning no announcers or commentary on it?

how much extra did it cost you?

how do you juggle between the 22 cameras and views? is there some sort of on screen thingy and you just use the ol remote control?

curious...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:38 pm 

fun gus wrote:
Call it a 'hunch' but (barring injury) I think this will be a breakout year for Peters...Like Babs 09 good.

Peters simply isn't the disruptor that Babs is/was. He's not as quick or explosive. I think Peters will have a good year in his own way, which will be swallowing up blockers, allowing the LBs to flow to the ball and make more plays, pressing the pocket and that stuff, but he's not going to be knifing into the backfield like Babs does/did, making a bunch of tackles for loss, getting a bunch of pressure, and beating OGs and Cs with his quickness and speed to get consistent pressure.

To answer your other questions...

1. No, there isn't All-22 for the preseason. You only get the broadcast version and the condensed version of the games. The condensed basically cuts out all of the commercials, time between plays, replays (except on reviews and scores), but from the broadcast view (i.e. sideline view). Makes games go a lot quicker, as you can bang out an entire game in 45 mins.
2. If you order Preseason Live ($20 IIRC), you get access to all the games on demand as well as live.
3. Yes, the All-22 is just like coach's film. No sound, just non-HD footage. You get the endzone cam and the sideline cam where you see all 22 players (the latter of which is technically what is the All-22).
4. The Game Rewind season plus package costs $70. That gives you access to all the regular season games, playoffs, through the off-season until July 31, 2014. That's what I paid for, where you get All-22 access for every NFL play. Although technically it's like 99% of them, because occasionally 1 or 2 plays may go missing. But I can count on 1 hand how many plays last year I had to watch the broadcast version to get a good look at.

Otherwise, you can get the season plan, which is $40 which gives you access to regular season games through January. But then they'll make you spring for a playoff package (IIRC is around $20), and then you'll be asked to pay for the off-season plan, which IIRC is around $30. But you don't have full access to the All-22. Just "select" access.

Or you can get the team only package, which is $30. But again, it's select access to the All-22, and runs out in January. So if you're team makes the playoffs, they make you spring for the playoff package.

And of course with the Game Rewind packages, you don't get games live, you only get the on demand afterwards. Typically you can re-watch the broadcast version of the game the next day. The condensed usually comes the following day. It might take 2 days before the All-22 comes available, so typically I have to wait until Tuesday morning/afternoon for a Sunday game to review the Falcons games.

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?ttv=1

IMO, if you are going to watch the All-22 and also watch other teams play, then the season plus is well worth the $70. And if you wind up buying the playoff package in January, you're going to be paying close to that and won't get full access to the All-22, nor will you be able to rewatch games from March thru July.

But if you don't care about any other teams, and only care about the Falcons, then just paying the $30 for the team only package makes a lot of sense. Especially if you're one of those crazy people that don't think the Falcons are going ot make the playoffs this year. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:22 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Especially if you're one of those crazy people that don't think the Falcons are going ot make the playoffs this year.

I'm one of the crazies. I do think the Falcons have looked better than I expected.

samedi wrote
Quote:
Come the playoffs, the right side will have played together for 16 games (hopefully), and will be a lot more used to each other. Expecting them to come in and play off each other perfectly (and to have Konz look their way consistently) isn't going to happen yet.

Well if we can get off to a good start that may happen. I worry when the season starts and blitzs are disguised that Konz won't be as much help getting the other linemen help in knowing who to pick up. We shall see as the season starts and goes beyond game 7 if we are getting stronger or weaker.

The Offensive line is easy to see, but its our lack of pressure that lets NFL QBS eat
us alive. Abe I think will prove to have been much better than Osi. Quite Frankly I
think our defense looks slow. Its the unsettled positions that worry me.

Yes its kinda like other years but with more questions. Playing 6 games against the NFL South seems like a tougher task. Their will be injuries during the season and I won't be surprised when that really hurts us.

The positive is IF Ryan gets some time we should be able to move the chains, then Jackson catching passes out of the backfield is something I think we're holding back in preseason.... I mean
the plays you set up and get him in open space.

I wish someone besides Rogers was running back kickoffs, the risk of injury to his ability as a returner is not worth it to me. I also think Peters will have a big year, he seemed about 20 lbs heavier which in his case may be best!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 am 

The possibility of the Falcons missing the playoffs does seem a bit more plausible now especially given their road schedule. They have 5 loseable games on the road, 3 vs. NFC South opponents, San Fran, and GB. And they have 4 loseable home games, 3 against NFC South opponents, and Seattle.

But again, I think the only way the Falcons miss the playoffs is if they are abysmal against the NFC South. And I don't see that happening. They probably are at worst 2-4 or 3-3. I just don't see teams like NE, St. Louis, or Washington coming in here and beating us, without great aid from injuries. And I don't see this Falcon team failing to beat teams like Miami, Buffalo, or Arizona on the road.

Look this year's team may suffer from lots of injuries or it may not. No one really has any clue, because injuries are nearly impossible to predict and completely random.

But like I said earlier, a Ryan-led Falcons team is always going to probably pull 2 or 3 wins every year out of their ass that they have no business doing, because of solid QB play and this team's disciplined ability not to shoot itself in the foot. THe Falcons are overachievers, not underachievers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
But like I said earlier, a Ryan-led Falcons team is always going to probably pull 2 or 3 wins every year out of their ass that they have no business doing, because of solid QB play and this team's disciplined ability not to shoot itself in the foot. THe Falcons are overachievers, not underachievers.

it's pretty clear our schedule is much tougher this year..besides the NFC South being tougher, you have to look at the schedule in other ways...

For example, we only have 2 consecutive home games, Pats and Jets. So there will be travel fatigue: and look at how much we play on the National level: we play MNF, TNF, and SNF! Also look at the schedule past the second N.O. game, it's BUffalo, Green Bay, Wash, San Fran and Carolina. All outdoor stadiums. The Farmers Almanac is predicting a biiter cold winter.

So your right, Pudge about Matt pulling games out of his ass, but it seems alot harder now due to:

strength of schedule
the way the schedule is set up
the fact that our OL is worse this year, and has no depth
our secondary is all rookies and an older player with inuries
and
the December schedule has us travelling more, in cold outdoor stadiums.

now, given ALL that, this Ryan led team could still pull off a wildcard berth, but any injuries to the Fabulous Five and you can pretty much forget about it..And if Ryan goes down, were really, really f*cked. :ninja: