It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Observations from Falcons at Ravens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:44 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Much better game this week.

OL looked fantastic in the run game this week. Holmes and Reynolds whiffed on some blocks in the passing game. Alec Savoie was a turnstile. "Dom Davis you say? Yes, he's right this way. Oops. Looks like he's running, if you hurry you can catch him."

Matt Ryan was great as always. Dom Davis looked MUCH better this week. He made some nice throws and did a pretty good job when deciding to run with the ball. Renfree didn't look bad, but he didn't look smooth either. He just doesn't look very comfortable out there.

Steven Jackson did a great job making extra yards. Several times I thought that he was dead to rights, but he found the smallest of holes and simply pushed till he got somewhere. He is going to make the run game respectable. Rodgers was also pretty good. Smith needs to be converted to TE. He's just not much of a running back. He's great at catching passes and getting up field in a hurry, but he simply doesn't have much in the way of vision. Vaughn looked stout. The rest of the RBs looked ok, but nothing special. I was hoping to see more of Wingo, but he didn't do much with his opportunities this week.

Julio Jones... yep.

I'm convinced that if Harry Douglas was 6 inches taller, he would be a fantastic player... As it stands, he's just another guy. Drew Davis and Darius Johnson had a pretty decent game. The rest of the wide receivers were looking pretty meh. Any news on Roddy? I never saw him after he went into the locker room. Oh, and what's the deal with Cone? He makes one fantastic play and then disappears.

Chase Coffman looks pretty decent. Toilolo is the invisible man. Seriously, I don't think he was ever thrown to. Colin Cloherty blew it big time.

On defense...
After last year, I figured that Babineaux was done. I was wrong. Babs is looking pretty darn good at this point. STAY HEALTHY! DL held up very well against the run. Still not getting a lot of pressure in the passing game. Someone really needs to step up.

Worrilow!!!!! 6 tackles, a sack, and what could have been a fumble recovery. This guy HAS to make the team. Put him out there with Spoon and Nicholas next week. I did notice on one play that he either blew his coverage, or was playing zone and was expecting someone else to pick up the coverage. He did make the tackle on that play. (nice going Brookings ;) (I know that it's Brooking.)) The rest of the LBs were pretty quiet.

The secondary was very VERY spotty tonight. Samuel gave up that huge first quarter TD, Moore whiffed on the tackle. Samuel also got a gimmie pick that he fumbled away at the goal line. (Good hustle Jerry) Lots of pass interference calls from our secondary. Alford and McClain stick out in this area, though Alford's PI call was pretty insignificant. Gotta give Franks some credit, he broke on the ball very nicely on a couple of plays. Got a pick on one, and the other should have been a pick six. Charles Mitchell seems to have some really good awareness.

Special teams needs work. Two games, two punts returned for TDs. I believe I remember us having similar issues last preseason... Hopefully it will all get worked out soon enough.

Post subject: Re: Observations from Falcons at Ravens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:20 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Basically the same observations as you, although Drew Davis should also get some love (a better thrown ball and it was a TD instead of a fumble).

Schraeder held up very well, rarely saw him. Baker did get beat once around the edge iirc.

I will say this: I no longer understand what is considered a football move after last night. Which is it? a football move or two steps and possession?

Ravens look bad this year. Just bad. Why Ozzie traded Boldin, I don't think I will ever really get that..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:03 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

agree on most points..

I know it's just scrub time, but I dont like seeing the competition close a twenty point lead in the fourth qtr, as it brings back some unpleasant memories :ninja:

I thought Dom Davis DID look better, but still not good enough to be a reliable backup..Here's hoping I see something different in the last preseason game 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:12 am 
Superstar
Superstar

So much for those rumors about Steven Jackson being old huh? I love Evan Silva, one of the best NFL writers in the game but he was ridiculous in making those claims.

The offensive line looked much better this week and the Ravens have a quality front seven, so give them their due. Holmes still looks a bit lost, but Dumervil is one of the top pass rushers in the league.

I'm still waiting for Tolilolo to do something. He has been invisible so far to say the least.

The pass rush still looks very mediocre, as I expected. It's sad to say that I'm used to it by now as a Falcons fan. Still haven't seen enough of the rookie corners. They aren't really being tested so far besides Alford last week.

Babineaux is still a beast and if the Falcons cut him going into next off-season, SHAME ON THEM! He is a Falcon for life, just like Clabo should have been. Cost-cutting becomes irrelevant when someone is still playing at a high level. Babineaux is in that category.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Clabo dropped off last year as well. Again, I wasn't expecting Babs to look this good this year. I thought that he had hit that magical point in a player's career when things start dropping off of a cliff. Maybe he was hurt last year... Maybe he decided that he needs to step it up if he wants a ring. Who knows?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:36 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Babs is still very good in spurts. He had 8 excellent games last year, and 8 where he was virtually a non-factor. Hopefully that ratio won't be any worse this year.

http://falcfans.com/reactions-to-falcons-ravens-8750

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:16 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If you can see him on the sidelines Bab's is really moody. You just know don't what you will get. 8 good games from Babs is a win this year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
If you can see him on the sidelines Bab's is really moody. You just know don't what you will get. 8 good games from Babs is a win this year.

Oh come on. At least he is giving 8 good games compared to Corey Peters/Peria Jerry/Kroy Biermann who could barley put 6 good games together combined. Be thankful that Babs is playing at a high level. Who cares if he's moody, he's earned the right to be like that.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well you may forget the first 3 seasons when Babs did next to nothing...

If a guy can have 8 very good games I think he should have a few more. No one
IMO has earned the right to be moody.... I just want 100% from everyone.

I like Babs- when he wants to play he's really good some games.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Babs is still very good in spurts. He had 8 excellent games last year, and 8 where he was virtually a non-factor. Hopefully that ratio won't be any worse this year.

http://falcfans.com/reactions-to-falcons-ravens-8750

I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a dozen other D tackles where you could say they had more excellent games. It's the nature of the position, Babs is our best D lineman in 2013!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:06 pm 

Cyril wrote:

Let's make that 2.5 seasons. Once the Falcons cut Grady Jackson, Babs filled in his shoes ably (or just as ably as Grady was). That's when we first saw his ascension. Then he continued to get better in 2008, culminating in the 2009 season where he was a monster.

DaveWaz wrote:
I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a dozen other D tackles where you could say they had more excellent games. It's the nature of the position, Babs is our best D lineman in 2013!

I certainly agree. Typically you can delineate the quality of any player based on how many really good (i.e. A-level) games they have. Typically the best players in the league will have between 8-12 of those games per year. Those are IMO the "impact" players. Your average starter will typically have only 2-4 games like that per year and are typically C-level the rest of the season (e.g. Thomas DeCoud, Sam Baker, Curtis Lofton, Stephen Nicholas, Corey Peters)

If Babs has 6-8 of those games this year, I'll be very happy with him. He's reached the point in his career where he's on a year to year basis, similar to how Abe has been. At some point the wheels are going to fall off. Whether that is this year, next year, or the year we won't really know until it happens. The same will also apply to Asante and Osi as well on defense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Let's make that 2.5 seasons. Once the Falcons cut Grady Jackson, Babs filled in his shoes ably (or just as ably as Grady was). That's when we first saw his ascension. Then he continued to get better in 2008, culminating in the 2009 season where he was a monster.
Jeez maybe 2.8 season's. The point was he was getting playing time and like most or
many it took him a while to adjust. Didn't we draft him as a #2 draft pick?

I like Babs he just needs a room if drunk; and not sitting in his car (:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:46 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Let's make that 2.5 seasons. Once the Falcons cut Grady Jackson, Babs filled in his shoes ably (or just as ably as Grady was). That's when we first saw his ascension. Then he continued to get better in 2008, culminating in the 2009 season where he was a monster..

ummmm, no. I seem to remember this differently. :roll:

'If', as you opine, Babs came right in immediately and was a 'wash' after Douche-trino, then the team under Mike Smith would have NEVER welcomed him back ( especially since he sued the franchise successfully for disclosure of medical records...remember? before the ill fated 07 season..) in 2008.. I have vague memories of you defending Petrino during the 07 season by saying that cutting Grady was a 'good idea' ( even though he led the league in tackles for a loss in 06) and that it would hasten Bab's development..And I believe I wrested a sort of admission of incorrectness from you then, as you said something along the lines of 'well, Bab's didn't devlop as I would have liked this season, but moving forward, he is going to be good and is still a better option then Gravy'.

Then in 2008, after the team welcomed him back, he got busted trying to use an banned substance for losing weight, and suspended for 4 games in the last half of that magical 08 season, right? Up until that time, no one was proclaiming Bab's a 'beast'. He played better the last half of '08 when Grady was out, and then went on to have his breakout season in 09...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8753

But, nice try at revisionist history :wink: Im sure you can find some cute stats or 7 year old ,cherry picked ,out of context threads to prove me wrong though :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:26 pm 

It's not revisionist history fun gus. Here are the facts:

Grady Jackson's production in 2007 over first 7 games:
21 tackles, 1 sack, 6 stuffs, 0 FF, 0 PD

Babs' production in 2007 over final 9 games:
34 tackles, 1 sack, 4 stuffs, 1 FF, 2 PD

Hard to argue there was a huge dropoff from one guy to the next.

Yes, the Falcons did re-sign Grady Jackson in 2008. Using Pro football Focus' grading system (they only go back as far as 2008), here are their numbers:

Jonathan Babineaux
Overall: +2.4
Run Def: -8.5
Pass Rush: +8.0

Grady Jackson
Overall: +6.5
Run Def: +7.9
Pass Rush: -3.0

Clearly, Grady is better? Not so fast my friend. Grady's run defense grade is thanks largely to a +5.7 grade he earned in Week 1 vs. Detroit. After that, he was barely an above average run defender that year.

Babs grade is hurt by the bum shoulder he sported at the end of the year which led to him earning -5.5 overall grade over the final 2 games of the year, including a -3.5 run defense grade and -2.9 pass rush grade.

Another thing that should be noted is that in the 2nd half of the season the Falcons started to pull Jackson off the field in pass rushing situations in favor of Chauncey Davis, who started taking a lot more reps from Jackson. Also one should note that Jackson didn't earn more reps than Kindal Moorehead in 2008. Here are their snap breakdowns:

Weeks 1 thru 9:

Babs - 431 snaps (8 GP) = 53.9 snaps per game
Davis - 251 snaps (8 GP) = 31.4 snaps per game
Jackson - 186 snaps (7 GP) = 26.6 snaps per game
Moorehead - 211 snaps (8 GP) = 26.4 snaps per game

Weeks 10-18:

Babs - 526 snaps (9 GP) = 58.4 snaps per game
Davis - 390 snaps (9 GP) = 43.3 snaps per game
Jackson - 248 snaps (9 GP) = 27.6 snaps per game
Moorehead - 193 snaps (7 GP) = 27.6 snaps per game

These are facts fun gus. The only way to interpret those facts is that Babineaux surpassed Jackson. When it exactly began is open to interpretation, but it's very clear who was the far superior player by the time 2008 rolled around. IMO, the lone positive of cutting Jackson in 2007 was it gave Bab his first real opportunity to shine, and things built from there.

Petrino has nothing to do with that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:26 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Clearly, Grady is better? Not so fast my friend. These are facts fun gus. The only way to interpret those facts is that Babineaux surpassed Jackson. When it exactly began is open to interpretation, but it's very clear who was the far superior player by the time 2008 rolled around. IMO, the lone positive of cutting Jackson in 2007 was it gave Bab his first real opportunity to shine, and things built from there..

Pudge, I never said Grady was 'better'. I just said Babs wasn't much better then Grady until late 08.. In fact, had Bab's played up to the potential you and everyone else expected him when they DID cut Grady in 2007, they would have never extended a second chance to Gravy here in '08, and especially moreso after a contentious lawsuit. That much simply cannot be disputed. :snooty:

IIRC, when we used to go round and round about the decision to cut Grady in 08,you used to always say 'generally it is in the third year that defensive backs start to get it', and that while you were not sad to see Grady go, you always seemed to caveat that Babs would develop into an impact player. And that losing Grady wasn;t that big of a deal in the long run. You were right about that. But you were saying those things because Babs wasn't living up to potential right? It's not like he came in and lit the place up. That's all Im sayin :ninja:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:46 pm 

fun gus wrote:
they would have never extended a second chance to Gravy here in '08, and especially moreso after a contentious lawsuit. That much simply cannot be disputed.

They brought Grady back because Rod Coleman was done, and the "phenom" Trey Lewis was coming off a knee injury and then suffered a setback in the off-season by falling down some stairs.

Remember they didn't re-sign Grady until the eve of training camp in 2008. After going thru an off-season with Kindal Moorehead, Rashad Moore, Tim Anderson, and Montavious Stanley as the other DTs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:50 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:
they would have never extended a second chance to Gravy here in '08, and especially moreso after a contentious lawsuit. That much simply cannot be disputed.

They brought Grady back because Rod Coleman was done, and the "phenom" Trey Lewis was coming off a knee injury and then suffered a setback in the off-season by falling down some stairs.

Remember they didn't re-sign Grady until the eve of training camp in 2008. After going thru an off-season with Kindal Moorehead, Rashad Moore, Tim Anderson, and Montavious Stanley as the other DTs.

I forgot about Trey Lewis..in fact, I think I got Trey and Babs confused a to whom we were arguing over :oops: I think you were saying to give Trey Trey a chance, and he was a bustaroo :whistle: