It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So about that backup QB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:24 pm 

Post subject: Re: So about that backup QB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:09 am 
Superstar
Superstar

He's getting more pressure on him than last year; and he doesn't trust the Offensive line to block for him (and I don't either); its a important position if your team will be any good..... This year we;ll fall apart because of no Offensive line and not much more on the defensive line!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:14 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I didn't see the entire game (or any of the first drive), but I'd agree: the lines looked pretty bad for much of the night.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:16 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cyril wrote:
He's getting more pressure on him than last year; and he doesn't trust the Offensive line to block for him (and I don't either); its a important position if your team will be any good..... This year we;ll fall apart because of no Offensive line and not much more on the defensive line!!

Keep on hating, CF. Last year I think you said we looked like a 6 win team in pre-season. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:44 am 
Superstar
Superstar

zing :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:04 am 

First unit seemed OK. Considering you have no less than 3 new starters on the offensive line (Reynolds only started 6 games last year and Konz had 10 starts) it's going to take most of the preseason for that unit to gel together. I'm not saying they are great but they aren't the worst unit in the NFL either.

Dominick Davis isn't a primary backup for pretty much every team in the NFL. Atlanta elected to hope that Matt Ryan will start all 16 games this year instead of grabbing a proper backup.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

BnB wrote
Quote:

Keep on hating, CF. Last year I think you said we looked like a 6 win team in pre-season.

Man this is the first time you've ever misrepresented something I
did not say. If I said we "looked like " a six win team, then we must have looked terrible at that game. I don't remember saying that; and I certainly did not say we'd only win six games. I think calling me a "hater" of the Falcons is below you!!

I believe over the last 5 years I've been as pro Mike Smith and Thomas D. as anyone on the board. I don't even remember anyone not thinking we'd have a winning season last season.!!

Dave; if you think I was negative about the Falcons last year I'D love more than the word zing to back it up!!

Now I'll go on record and SAY I only think we'll win 6 games this year!! Does that make me hate the team?? If I honestly think either Matt Ryan will get hurt; or our Offensive line won't give Ryan enough time to score; or our Defensive Line will get run over and not pressure a Qb, then what should I say??

To say that makes me a " hater " is way over the line!! If I'm really wrong I'll just accept I was wrong. I've given reason's why I think this will happen. Do you really think with me watching all 16 games on my big screen I'll be hoping that happens.??

I had hoped "Sidbury" would have been a productive starter now.
I had hoped our free agent defensive end "Ray Edwards"would be producing now. I really liked Curtis Lofton and misjudged his ability; and although a 5th round draft choice I thought Kroy Bierman would gain more weight and play more like our old All Pro who we shipped of to Seattle his last year. I thought Peria Jerry our #1 pick from Mississippi who played against M. Orr in practice who was also at Mississippi;would be worthy of a #1.

So A lot of things that could have happened didn't happen; or in football words we've not really had anyone "step up" on either side of the line for 5 years!! (Abe was great a long time)

I had hoped Johnson from Alabama would have been starting two years ago, I had hoped as much attention that Joe Hawley got that he'd be a good starter, but no evidence yet?? McClure
retiring is a big loss; but we should have planned for that; and if Sam Baker doesn't really play good this year who's going to
to block for Ryan and keep him from getting killed?

The only person that I dislike with the Falcons is owner Arthur Blank and I have never tried to hide that!!I have been a season ticket holder since he took over until this year; so I've earned the right to have an opinion!!

I think his pushing Vick in a wheelchair; and the Vick embarrassment, plus having any head coach just up and leave you in the middle of a season is another
embarrassment that fans just over look.

The past 5 years has been very good on the field; many have
complained about Malarkey, and even Coach Smith; but I've never hated the Falcons; or questioned our G.M. or coaching!!

I do hate it when our season is basically over by week 8 but few here now have experienced that!!

I also think this is just going to be one bad season, then we get Ryan's salary to loosen our cap; and next years draft to focus on linemen. I also don't think Osi or Tony G. will be the factors that we hope this year.... I do like #19, I thought he played well last year also, but again he needs blocking.

So with those feelings should I lie about my feelings; I'll repeat again until now I think I have been as positive about what Mike Smith and Thomas D. has done since the embarrassment from 6 years ago.... Its not unusual for a team to go backwards in a year. Both Super Bowl teams in 2011 didn't make the playoffs last year; but crap catches up with you sometimes!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Hey guys I apologize. I felt attacked without merit, and I even looked back at old posts. The truth is from what I saw we're all over the place on all issues; I didn't see anything awful; except the worst was I said Blank had gotten complacent because of his divorce. (and I don't think they were even divorced then, and who cares today.)

Their's good stuff too, but my point is I was trying to hard to say
"how could anyone call me a hater" well its easy; just say it; and I shouldn't care!! I've not posted much lately due to other bullshit, but you need tougher skin than I just showed!!

So I'm sorry about my outrage (: Now I'm outraged I got outraged (: Its all good!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:12 am 
Superstar
Superstar

The way I see it, we're all here because we, for whatever stupid reason, love this football team. It does bug me a bit when people start throwing around the hater label, or otherwise infer that some of the folks here, "don't believe enough." I'm often on the receiving end of that kind of garbage. If we get negative from time to time, it's because we want to see this team win, and win big. When we see things that look like significant issues, we talk about them. Considering 31 teams lose every year, I'd say that's what boards like this are for. There wouldn't be much of a point in coming here if we all just said, "good game," all of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:31 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't have issues with people "complaining" or being critical about things, because I certainly am. But I think people tend to take it too far. At least in the preseason, you really cannot go beyond the individual. If Lamar Holmes has a bad game, it doesn't mean anything besides Lamar Holmes having a bad game. Making it to be a judgment on the entire O-line isn't fair or accurate. Look, Peter Konz stunk last year. But it didn't stop Tyson Clabo from improving his performance. The rest of the OL maintained their normal level of play, and the difference between the OL with Reynolds vs. Konz in, made no real difference.

It's the same thing I've said time and time again with Matt Ryan. In the past, whenever Ryan had a bad game, people would start trying to make it a referendum on his career, or say things, "He'll never be better than this," or "He'll always just be a game manager."

1 bad game = 1 bad game

There are times when I think about this team and see them as the 2011 Falcons. Where that year we basically swapped out Michael Jenkins & Jamaal Anderson for Julio Jones & Ray Edwards, and just sorta assume that we would be just as good as we were in 2010 and those guys would mean all the difference. Forgetting the fact that in 2010 there were 2-3 games that we pulled out of our butt, and probably another 4-6 wins we got that we sort won because we got 1 or 2 breaks at the end that could have easily gone against us. They sort of had a hubris about them in 2011, which sorta led to that year.

I see similarities between then and now, as we subbed out Turner, Abe, and Dunta and replaced them with Jackson, Osi, and a pair of rookie CBs. And last year, you probably had 2-3 games that the Falcons pulled out of their butts, and probably probably another 3-4 that were similarly very, very close that could have easily gone against them.

If we weren't as well-coached and QBed as we are, I think this team could easily be a 6-10 or 7-9 team (thus why I constantly say this team is average). But I think Mike Smith's attention to detail, and disciplined approach of this team not shooting itself in the foot hardly ever allows us to win those games that we probably should lose more often than not. And Matt Ryan's steady hand at QB certainly helps there, when you can consistently get Top 10 QB production for 12+ games/yr. every year, which is something that probably only 5 other teams can say they receive.

Now that IMO doesn't make them a Super Bowl team. But I think that they'll be a playoff team every year, and I don't jibe with the pessimism that we seem to see every August.

I just think there's a huge difference between saying this is not a Super Bowl team and not a playoff team. I just don't understand how anybody could be any more pessimistic about this team than saying, "They'll be in the hunt for a wildcard but will lose it on a tiebreaker." I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion, but if you're expecting/predicting anything worse than that, you just seem to be coming off as this guy:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:33 pm 

I think by the time Mike Smith is done in Atlanta he might be considered one of the best coaches in Falcons history if not the best. Haters gonna hate but I love Smitty.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

He's already the best coach in Falcons history. Matt Ryan is the best QB, and TD is the best GM. Now they need to get us a title.