It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: did Smitty learn?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:58 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

okay, this might get me flamed, but.....

If I am Mike Smith: I have Ryan and the starters play exactly ONE series tonight, and not the 3rd or 4th quarter of the final preseason game on thursday August 29th...

Now, some will say 'if you play not to get injured, you will get injured'. I call BS on that..

If Mike Smith makes the decision to leave Ryan and the starters in anymore then this, then he hasn't learned from his mistakes. Our depth is perilously thin, and our starters are good enough they don't need to play in meaningless situations..

discuss... :ninja:

Post subject: Re: did Smitty learn?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:02 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I want everyone healthy and pissed off for that first game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ozKiI0daWw

:x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I hear ya fun gus. I can certainly see Matt, Julio, Roddy, Baker, Blalock, Umenyiora, Moore, Decoud, Samuel, and maybe Konz only playing one series. However, I think that everyone else should be out there getting reps.

Yes, our depth on our lines is pretty horrid, but most of those guys need a lot of work. We have over 6 million in cap space waiting to be used to replace injured players, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we sign some linemen in the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I have no problem with that, to be honest I would like them to get one first down and then get out of the game. Unless the first play of the game is a 80 yard play for a touchdown :lol: .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I have to wonder if the reduced off-season work negotiated in the last cba is leading to all these acl injuries. Hope the team can avoid the bug.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:08 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Wait are you suggesting fun gus that the only work they get in the preseason is one series tonight?

So I guess we're giving away Week 1 then huh?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:45 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Wait are you suggesting fun gus that the only work they get in the preseason is one series tonight?

So I guess we're giving away Week 1 then huh?

Nope. I am saying stritcly for Ryan, and the starters, to play ONE series tonight, and one full half in the final preseason game. Risk/Reward. I think playing one series ( or half a half)in the first quarter of tonights game, and a full half of the final game of the preseason should be plenty good enough: if this team 'needs' that extra 'meaningless time then we've got bigger problems.

Now if we lose a starter or an impact player in the last half of the final preseason game (bringing back any old memories?) or late in the first quarter of tonights game, then that's on Smitty. :snooty:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:04 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

SmorgasBorgnine wrote:
I have to wonder if the reduced off-season work negotiated in the last cba is leading to all these acl injuries. Hope the team can avoid the bug.

You're not the only one to wonder that. I've seen one piece on ESPN about it, and read on piece online, wondering the same thing. Time will tell, I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:28 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think that's a bit overboard fun gus. A player can go down at any time. You can't simply sit them all. I realize that these are meaningless games, but to sit the starters for two weeks because you don't want to get them hurt is a bit absurd. Do any teams in the NFL do that?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:39 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
You can't simply sit them all.

Image :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:12 pm 

Well if they score on the opening drive, they will play 1 series tonight. And if they score then next week they might only play 1 series. And then they'll play the first half and probably 1 series in the 3rd quarter in the 3rd preseason game. And they will not play at all in the 4th preseason game. If they start the games with 3 & out, then they will likely come back in for a 2nd series.

If any injuries during that time, then they occur. The mistake isn't playing the players 1 or 2 series too many, the mistake is neglecting your depth...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:29 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
If any injuries during that time, then they occur..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... lcons-loss
#happynewyear!

Okay, I see your point. I just dont get these 4 games where teams whittle down thier best players for sh*t. I think we ALL agree that two are enough. This is just $$ pissing to the NFL. If I was Smith, I'd hold my guys out longer ( especially with the front 5 on OL )

juss sayin :ninja:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:02 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Fun Gus,
Its all good if your not comparing preseason to playing players if you have your division locked up; like last year. I didn't agree with you last year; but do agree about preseason....

Our problem is who on our offensive line is great enough to keep out? This team is a disaster waiting to happen!! We don't have any good players on the line; we need to play everyone except maybe Sam Baker or Justin Blalock so we can find some other players on the line.

Hold out Bierman, Babs, OSI, but we got to find some players on our defensive line too!!

When Ryan gets hurt this year we can't just say it can happen anytime. (Well it can ) but when you have as many scrubs playing on the offensive line as we have, How's Ryan not going to get hurt ??

No I can't in good conscious say this team will be any good. I'm looking at 6-10. Thomas D. has missed on to many offensive and defensive linemen.

I think they should completely stop talking about Super Bowl;
and looking to be respectable. The Falcon's don't really have any good players; and those good players are counting on someone to block for Ryan?? Who's going to do that??

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:19 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cyril wrote:
Fun Gus,
Its all good if your not comparing preseason to playing players if you have your division locked up; like last year. I didn't agree with you last year; but do agree about preseason....

Our problem is who on our offensive line is great enough to keep out? This team is a disaster waiting to happen!! We don't have any good players on the line; we need to play everyone except maybe Sam Baker or Justin Blalock so we can find some other players on the line.

Hold out Bierman, Babs, OSI, but we got to find some players on our defensive line too!!

When Ryan gets hurt this year we can't just say it can happen anytime. (Well it can ) but when you have as many scrubs playing on the offensive line as we have, How's Ryan not going to get hurt ??

No I can't in good conscious say this team will be any good. I'm looking at 6-10. Thomas D. has missed on to many offensive and defensive linemen.

I think they should completely stop talking about Super Bowl;
and looking to be respectable. The Falcon's don't really have any good players; and those good players are counting on someone to block for Ryan?? Who's going to do that??

:lol: