All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Training Camp: Day 10 Report
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:12 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://falcfans.com/training-camp-day-10-report-8657

Training Camp: Day 10 Report
August 6th, 2013 Aaron Freeman Edit No comments

The Falcons will have another joint practice session today with the Cincinnati Bengals, this time in shells. Here are the media reports from Day 10 of the Falcons practice:

• The big news from Monday was reports of injuries to linebacker Sean Weatherspoon and wide receiver Julio Jones. Per Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, Weatherspoon suffered a badly dislocated finger on his left hand. He left practice early, and might be held out of the Falcons preseason opener. Jones got limited reps in Monday’s practice for precautionary reasons. La Canfora also discusses Brian Banks and the Falcons young corners in his write-up of the Falcons.
  • Daniel Cox’s five observations from Monday include discussion of Lamar Holmes getting reps with the first team and Desmond Trufant’s progress through the course of camp.
  • The team’s official site also has a transcript from Mike Smith’s post-practice interview.
  • The AJC has the team’s first official depth chart.
  • Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer has some notes from the Bengals perspective but which also include highlighting a few individual performances from Falcons.

D. Orlando Ledbetter also tweeted some takes on the matchups between the two teams in the trenches:

https://twitter.com/AJCFalcons/statuses ... 5810779136
https://twitter.com/AJCFalcons/statuses ... 2927217664

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Training Camp: Day 10 Report
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You know, I feel a bit awful... I had absolutely no inclination at all to click on those last two links. Why hasn't Ledbetter been replaced? There have to be some better options available for the post. I know of one, Aaron Freeman, who would do a fantastic job.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:54 am 

I was actually thinking about this the other day, I don't have the discipline or professionalism to be a journalist. If/when I'd be in a press conference with TD & Mike Smith and they are being coy about certain things (like how much cap space they have), I'd probably lose it. I get the whole lets' not discuss injuries thing because there are actual federal laws which govern how much you can talk about people's medical history. But when you ask them a question like, "How much money did you save on this year's cap with Ryan's new contract." And they don't give you a straight answer with some BS line like "We don't publicly disclose that kind of info." I'd lose it.

Like I could never cover the Patriots beat, because I would purposefully ask questions to try and piss off Belichick. See, unprofessional.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:21 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Being a journalist is about asking questions that people don't want to answer. That's not unprofessional, that's your job. It is possible to balance asking tough questions and put a positive spin on things. I think that's what makes a great sportswriter. People want info, but they also want to hear how great their team is. With the Falcons, you'd really have a stand up bunch to cover. (At least for now)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Rob is spot on about that. I'm an aspiring journalist and that is one of the major elements in being a journalist. Even if you are asking the tough questions, there will be many people that will appreciate that. You'll always have the critics and people that dislike your style, but it'll be exceeded by loyal fans.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:11 pm 

I don't think you're hearing what I'm saying. It's not about my ability to ask the tough questions. That IMO is relatively easy to do. My unprofessionalism would come from the reaction I would likely have from being stone-walled when I asked questions, whether tough or softball ones. I would become frustrated, combative, and petty in those cases, which is unprofessional. Because my personality is such that everytime the team gives a non-answer or a "no comment" my initial thought is "Why aren't you giving me a straight answer?" or "What is the purpose of your rule for not discussing those matters?" rather than what a journalist should do is to move onto the next question/subject.

As for D-Led sucking, I couldn't agree more.

Profile E-mail