Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://falcfans.com/camp-battles-2013-d ... e-end-7864

Camp Battles 2013: Defensive End
July 18th, 2013
Aaron Freeman

Daniel Shirey-US PRESSWIRE

Jonathan Massaquoi’s growth could make a difference in 2013

The Falcons appear to be set with their two starters at the defensive end position. Free agent pickup Osi Umenyiora will draw the tall order of replacing one of the team’s all-time best in John Abraham at right defensive end. Kroy Biermann will once again fill in as the team’s left defensive end.

But the rest of the position will feature heavy competition as a number of young players compete not for starting spots, but for placement and reps in the team’s rotation.

The likeliest candidate to serve as the team’s third defensive end will be Jonathan Massaquoi, who enters his second season with the team. He played very little on defense last year, with most of his play coming on special teams. He was very effective there and coupled with his upside as a pass rusher, he’s in no danger to be cut. But the Falcons will look for him to have a good summer as he is the candidate most likely to figure into the Falcons nickel subpackage if/when Umenyiora and Biermann aren’t on the field. The multiple fronts presented by defensive coordinator Mike Nolan could easily feature all three, especially given Biermann’s ability to drop into coverage like a linebacker.

Another player that is assured of making the final roster is 2013 fourth round pick Malliciah Goodman. Goodman’s best shot at earning playing time will more than likely come on run downs in the team’s base package as they look to get more size on the field. While Biermann is a consistent run defender, Umenyiora is not, and it’s likely that Massaquoi won’t be asked to play a major part in that role. Goodman possesses good physical tools to develop long-term into an effective pass rusher, but probably his best chance of earning lots of initial playing time will be proving himself as a run defender.

The past three seasons the Falcons have opted to keep at least five defensive ends on the roster, although last year that number was six until the November release of Ray Edwards. That probably will be the case again with Cliff Matthews and Stansly Maponga rounding out the depth chart. If the Falcons only opt for five on the roster, Matthews is the likelier candidate. Given his ability to help as a run defender, high motor, and value on special teams he has a leg up on Maponga, who missed most of the offseason coming off a leg injury. While Maponga offers better long-term value down the road as a pass rusher, he’s unlikely to offer immediate value to the rotation. If the Falcons do opt to keep six ends on the roster, Maponga will likely be the last and is primed to spend most of the year on the team’s inactive list each Sunday. Not unless he can showcase special teams prowess along the same lines of Matthews and Massaquoi a year ago, and show he’s 100% recovered from his injury. While Maponga isn’t guaranteed to make the team’s 53-man roster, he’s almost certainly a lock to be carried on the team’s practice squad at a minimum.

Two other players that the Falcons will bring to camp but are longshots to make the roster are undrafted rookies Cam Henderson and Brandon Thurmond. Henderson has a solid frame (6-4/260) with good arm length (over 34 inches) that passes the eyeball test when it comes to NFL defensive ends. Thurmond is shorter, squatter player with short arms but had excellent production while at Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Between the two, it really doesn’t matter who looks better in a uniform, it will come down to any production they can produce on the field. If either player can impress with a strong preseason, the Falcons might opt to carry a seventh defensive end on their practice squad.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Camp Battles 2013: Defensive End
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:08 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I would have said:

The Falcons have a washed up Osi Umenyiora on one side, and the underachieving Kroy Biermann on the other. In addition to that lot, there's a couple of rookies, and a couple of nobodies hoping for a chance to get some reps. The Falcons could probably trade the whole lot for a Wendy's value meal. Perhaps the Falcons should hold open tryouts for defensive ends.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
I would have said:

The Falcons have a washed up Osi Umenyiora on one side, and the underachieving Kroy Biermann on the other. In addition to that lot, there's a couple of rookies, and a couple of nobodies hoping for a chance to get some reps. The Falcons could probably trade the whole lot for a Wendy's value meal. Perhaps the Falcons should hold open tryouts for defensive ends.

LOL, Sad but true...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:03 pm 

The defense will only go as far as the pass rush performs. We have to keep in mind that the pass rush doesn't necessarily have too come from def end,def tackle. Remember the defenses of the Eagles with Jimmy Johnson as DC. They blitzed alot and the QB didn't know what direction the rush was coming from. Since we have supposedly better corner coverage that should free up the defense to blitz more since our pass rush from the def ends and tackles could be limited.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:44 am 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
I would have said:

When Osi has 8 sacks by November, I can't wait to hear you toot your horn about him. Biermann was a fifth round pick, how is he an underachiever? The underachievers are Edwards and Anderson. Right now the Falcons haven't set up themselves up well when it comes to the front four. I'm not happy about the front four situation, but as usual you take it to the extreme. What a surprise.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I refer to Biermann as an underachiever because at one point, he looked like he was ready to, "turn a corner." A lot of people were speculating that he would be a force on our DL. That never materialized. He's a solid role player, but he's nothing special. That he's our #2 DE is a pretty big failing by our front office.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:42 am 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
I refer to Biermann as an underachiever because at one point, he looked like he was ready to, "turn a corner." A lot of people were speculating that he would be a force on our DL. That never materialized. He's a solid role player, but he's nothing special. That he's our #2 DE is a pretty big failing by our front office.

That's a fair assessment, even though I never really saw him as a starter. Too undersized and not fast enough.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail