It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cam Newton says he’s still an Atlanta Falcons fan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:24 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 45354.html

Cam Newton says he’s still an Atlanta Falcons fan (but at least he wasn’t wearing a Falcons hat)
By Frank Schwab | Shutdown Corner – 1 hour 56 minutes ago

Email
Share15

(USA Today Sports Images)

Given the Colin Kaepernick/Dolphins hat fallout, how are people going to react to Cam Newton saying he roots for a division rival 14 games out of the year?

Newton, the Carolina Panthers quarterback who people find ways to criticize even when it's not really deserved, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution he grew up a Falcons fan and continues to root for them when he doesn't play them, even though the Panthers and Falcons are NFC South rivals. The Journal-Constitution quote comes from the Charlotte Observer's blog:

Q: The Panthers came pretty close to sweeping the Falcons last season. How tough is it playing your hometown team?

A: It's always a heavily critiqued game. ... I've always been a Falcons fan, and I'm still a Falcons fan except for those two times a year.

People flipped out when San Francisco quarterback Kaepernick was spotted wearing a Dolphins hat, and the Dolphins only play the 49ers once every four years. So, Newton can probably expect to hear about this one, whether it is deserved or not.

Newton was born and raised in Atlanta, so it's not surprising he grew up a Falcons fan. He has said before that he was a big Michael Vick fan.

Does it matter that Newton still wishes well for the Falcons when he isn't playing them? Probably not (although the conspiracy theorists are probably going to now rage about his third-down fumble that cost the Panthers a win at Atlanta last season). Him being a fan of the Falcons obviously hasn't affected how he has played with the Panthers.

Somehow, I don't think everyone will be so calm about Newton's public affinity for the Falcons.

- - -

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cam Newton says he’s still an Atlanta Falcons fan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

That guy sure has some balls. Much respect, now let's see if he continues to play like a beast against the Falcons.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

What an odd story? I might have kept that information too myself until I retired. He's going to get some wtf questions from his teammates now more than ever.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

This simply reinforces what we already know about Cam... He doesn't care what anyone else thinks. As far as he's concerned, he's superman, and can say and do whatever he wants. I just hope that he doesn't end up in a Falcons uniform... ever.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:33 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Really? I really don't see how it's worth that level of dislike. He's a bit immature, but his comment isn't a total dick move or harmful to his teammates. They managed to pretty much beat ATL twice last year, and I don't see anything in there that says he does anything besides play with extra effort against their division rival.

I would not want Cam over Matt either, but instead of Doug John? Joey Hair? Byron Left (thank goodness)? Mike Vick? Yeah, I'd take Cam over any of those former ATL quarterbacks. If the coaching and offensive talent were a bit better around Cam, he'd be a lot more successful.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:14 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Cam's first, and biggest problem is Cam. He thinks way too highly of himself, and he disappears when things don't go his way. Considering the company that he's in, and the fact that he hasn't done crap in this league, the Superman thing is pretty arrogant. The kid is talented as hell, and the only thing standing in his way is him. Michael Vick was quite similar, and I believe that Cammy Cam Cam will have a similar career, dog killer episode aside.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:32 am 

I disagree. Cam's biggest problem is his coaching, not himself. Cam and Vick aren't in the same ball park in terms of personality and approach to the game, especially if we're talking about work ethic.

Cam's problem is that he's not very accurate, and unlike most top-end QBs will need a lot more help from the running game. He'll need to play in an offense that is balanced and can feature him in a lot of play-action passing and vertical throws. Something similar to what Flacco has experienced for most of his Baltimore career, where it could be argued that the focus of the Ravens offensive attack was handing off to Ray Rice not putting the ball in Flacco's hands.

Unfortunately due to having one of the worst GMs in the biz for a year and a half, and having one of the least effective coaches in the biz for two years now going on three, Cam is stuck in a doomed situation.

If/when the Panthers clean house next year and Jerry Richardson decides to open his wallet for a real coach with real ability and pedigree (e.g. Bill Cowher), the Panthers have the potential to quickly surpass the Falcons with Newton under center with the right personnel moves.

Cam is not the problem in Carolina. Far from it.

Look if Matt Ryan said that he still roots for the Eagles, I would have zero problem with. As with the 49er fans that are in a tizzy over Kaepernick's choice of hats, people that get upset by this kind of stuff prove that America is full of retards and if we are the leading nation on the planet Earth, then the human race is doomed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:22 pm 

I'm guessing this is all born from the Kaepernick hat fiasco. You'd think Cam Newton would be smart enough to see the PR disaster that was and keep this too himself. Apparently he isn't that bright yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:37 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Cam is not the problem in Carolina. Far from it.

Look if Matt Ryan said that he still roots for the Eagles, I would have zero problem with. As with the 49er fans that are in a tizzy over Kaepernick's choice of hats, people that get upset by this kind of stuff prove that America is full of retards and if we are the leading nation on the planet Earth, then the human race is doomed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcGjIlJc2K0

I disagree that Cam's immaturity is negated or lessened by 'bad coaching'. Even if the coaches are "bad" here's what you can do :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jAwiq6YsE

The thing is, even when Matt was younger, I don't think he would say he 'roots' for the Eagles. Because someone along the lines, an agent, a front office goon, is going to get to him and say "Matt when asked if your an Eagles fan, here's what you should say: I grew up an Eagles fan my whole life, but now that I am a member of the Falcon Family, that is the only team I care about anymore. Im here to do a job and that's all I am thinking about".

Cam is too immature to listen to the guys who have probably told him this any number of times. And, that is a problem.

Can you imagine Bobby Hebert as our QB doing an interview where he said he 'roots' for the Saints accept for twice a year, and that's when he plays against them? This city would have run his cajun posterior right down I85. No, no, no keep yer trap shut until you retire, then you can swear allegiances.

My last corporate job, I had to sign a non compete, and was bound never to discuss the competition, and if I ever wore thier product or praised thier programming, I would have been out the door. And this was for sh*tty $$.. Is it really too much to ask that while a franchise is paying you unreal amounts of $$, dont praise a division rival? That maybe, just maybe, the schmucks in the upper deck don't really 'care' about where you grew up? I know we are all supposed to be 'enlightened', but it just sends a bad message....

Personally, I could give a rats a$$ even if Ryan said he was a die hard Eagles fan and rooted for them. He has proven what he can do here, and he has 'earned' it. But if he said that his rookie season, it might have bothered me a bit. So I can kinda guess where some fans take umbrage at Kerhattrick and Cammy Cam Cam :ninja:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:17 pm 

Should Cam Newton have said what he said? No. Obviously it creates a firestorm from the peanut gallery. Like I tweeted to Roddy, who wondered if he should be allowed to wear some of his jerseys which are other teams, it doesn't really matter, but just to avoid the hassle you should probably avoid the public when you do so.

But where I draw the line is the suggestion that his so-called "immaturity" when it comes to this innocuous admission somehow is connected to the immaturity that he shows on the field.

Is Cam Newton immature? Of course he is. He played 1 real season of college football and he's 24 years old, the same age Ryan was heading into his 2nd NFL season.

But I'll defend Cam in the same manner that I defended Ryan in 2010 and 2011. People are holding him to an impossible standard. Just like then, people on this here message board and others were comparing Ryan to players like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc. that were 3-10 years older than him, with many more years of experience.

Look, Ryan is probably never going to live up to the standard set by the likes of Tom Brady. It's an argument I've made time and time again. At a certain point, you have to accept people for who/what they are as opposed to who/what they are not.

The same applies for Newton. Look, his coach is terrible. His GM was terrible. The expectation that he should somehow rise above it, in basically his 3rd year of playing the QB is a ridiculous assertion and impossible standard to live up to.

Again, Cam Newton's rooting for the Falcons has nothing to do with his play in Carolina. It's not as if he's spending his free time watching the Falcons on TV instead of spending time in the film room. Or in the case of Vick fighting dogs, and undermining his coaches. Cam is trying. Anybody that is watching the Panthers sees this.

Anybody that is trying to draw the connection between these comments and Cam Newton's play at QB, should in the worlds of Roddy White go home and kill themselves because you are a waste of life. :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:37 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
But where I draw the line is the suggestion that his so-called "immaturity" when it comes to this innocuous admission somehow is connected to the immaturity that he shows on the field.
People are holding him to an impossible standard. At a certain point, you have to accept people for who/what they are as opposed to who/what they are not.

The same applies for Newton. Look, his coach is terrible. His GM was terrible. The expectation that he should somehow rise above it, in basically his 3rd year of playing the QB is a ridiculous assertion and impossible standard to live up to.
Anybody that is trying to draw the connection between these comments and Cam Newton's play at QB, should in the worlds of Roddy White go home and kill themselves because you are a waste of life. :twisted:

:lol: :clap:

Bovine Residue of the first order. :ninja:

Quit making excuses. So he's got a terrible GM and a terrible coach. Whoopidy Freekin Do. You know what else he has? An AGENT. A front office commucations director. It's not the coaches fault Scam cannot be bothered by putting in enough frontal lobe effort not to step in it. Especially after he has been outspoken and pouty before..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1665 ... o-a-leader

Cam is immature, and not too bright. Now whether or not this affects him 'on the field' is arguable, but I would agree the two are probably not related.... but you would not see Matt Ryan saying these kind of stupid things and being pissy in this first 2 years. Because Matt Ryan ia a MAN, can listen to people and follow simple directions. Now maybe this is the magic third year that Kitty Kitty Cammy steps up and it all 'clicks', but to suggest that all of his woes comes from his coaches or GM's, and not his own dumbassery is an assumption as flawed as the Florida Justice System. 8-) :!:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Can you blame him our color way is the best in football.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:41 pm 

Cam won't step up this year, if we're talking about his play on the field. The team he has around him isn't designed to get the most out of his ability. He has one of the worst secondaries in the league. Probably only the Jacksonville Jaguars can make the claim that they are worse. And thus that is going to lead to a lot of games this year where the Panthers are playing catch-up because their defense may give up 4500 yards in the air and 30+ TDs. So basically Cam Newton is going to have to be Drew Brees/Matt Ryan to counter that.

And he's not that type of QB. He never will be. Cam is not an accurate passer. Nor is he the type of guy that should be dropping back a bunch of times. The average NFL team throws the ball 34.3 times over the past two seasons. In games where Newton throws the ball 34 or more times in that span, the Panthers are 2-11. In games where Newton throws under 30, they are 9-6. In games where he throws 25 or under, they are 6-2.

It's clear the Panthers need to be more of a run-oriented offense. That helped Ryan develop on the field, which allowed him to have early success early in his career. Between 2008-10, the average NFL team ran the ball the ball 1316 times during that span. The Falcons however ran the ball 1508 times in that span, 3rd most in the league, which amounted to about 192 times more than your average NFL team, roughly 15% more.

They took the ball out of Ryan's hands and put less pressure on him. And Ryan was considerably a much more polished product coming out of BC than Newton was in Atlanta.

That was part of Smith and Dimitroff's plan of developing Ryan. That's when you hear me criticize TD, I rarely ever refer to poor decisions made prior to 2011 (besides signing Dunta & picking Jerry), because for the most part he was brilliant with his plans and decision making.

This is why I doubt Ron Rivera as a head coach. Had he been a good coach, he would have had a similar plan that Mike Smith did. But the Panthers put too much on Cam's plate right off the bat. Remember the 2011 game, where the Falcons came back in the 2nd half thanks to 2 Newton INTs in the 3rd quarter. The Panthers went up 23-7 at halftime. And 4 of Chudzinski's first 6 play calls in the 3rd quarter were Newton passes. Newton either ran or threw on 10 of the first 13 plays of the 2nd half, 2 of which resulted in turnovers. He's being asked to do way, way too much.

Now the argument could be made that the reason why they were asking him to do so much is because the rest of the talent on the roster just isn't up to par. And who's fault is that? GM Marty Hurney. His poor spending is renown: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/840 ... etent-best

And his draft record in the previous years prior to Newton's arrival should be equally infamous:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... _draft.htm

The number of epic busts taken early in those and others drafts: Dwayne Jarrett, Everette Brown, Jimmy Clausen, Corvey Irvin, Armanti Edwards, Terrell McClain taken between 2007-11 is amazing and if it wasn't so bad would deserve our applause.

I agree 100% that he shouldn't have said it. But trying to suggest/link that this is a symptom of why he can't get the job done on the field is ludicrous.

The Panthers lose because they are poorly managed period. Can Newton step up his play? Absolutely. Should he have to? Not to the level that is being asked of him. He's a different QB, and it's not fair to hold him to an impossible standard.

Cam Newton threw 628 passes in his entire college career. Matt Ryan threw 654 just in his senior season.

Look, I can post a number of stats to make my case in how the Panthers have done a poor job of building around Newton and designing an offensive system designed to maximize his ability. It's a fairly similar argument that was made when Vick was here in Atlanta.

And the difference here is that when the Falcons got Vick, it was a fairly new experience. We were blazing the path that now the Panthers have had 10 years to see. And they are making the same exact mistakes that the Falcons made in Vick's time. And it's going to ruin Newton.

It's the difference between the Bucs, and why IMO Greg Schiano is a vastly superior coach, and Mark Dominik is clearly a superior GM than Hurney was.

The Bucs are building a system not around asking Freeman to carry the offense. Their offense is centered on Doug Martin. They went out and paid a ton of money to Carl Nicks to beef up their ground attack, and they acquired Gabe Carimi, a very good run blocker this year. They have improved their secondary which was the worst in the league last year by trading for Revis, signing Goldson and drafting Banks. They are now in a position where Freeman won't be asked to play catch up.

Will Freeman be asked to step up? Yes, he needs to be much more efficient passing the ball than he is. But are they putting more on his plate? No. They are taking it off. They are building an offense that isn't going to go through him, and a defense that can complement him by hopefully not giving up too much yards and points early. And if he's unable to step up, then guess what? They got Mike Glennon waiting to take over in the hopes that he can be the game manager that Freeman may not be.

When you are getting absolutely zip from your coach and/or GM, then you're not going to have a lot of success.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:04 am 
Superstar
Superstar

For me, it's not about how successful Cammy Cam Cam has been. It's his attitude. He makes a good play when his team is down in the game, and he busts out the superman BS. He's a dumb kid. On top of the GM sucking, and the coaches sucking, you have a QB that's an egotistical dipstick. Lesson number one, don't show off when your team is losing. Matt Ryan had it exactly right, "get the hell off the field." If Cammy Cam Cam had earned his stripes, perhaps I'd be more accepting of his antics, but he has not earned ANYTHING. Until he does, he should keep his mouth shut, and lose the superman act.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:42 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
For me, it's not about how successful Cammy Cam Cam has been. It's his attitude. He makes a good play when his team is down in the game, and he busts out the superman BS. He's a dumb kid. On top of the GM sucking, and the coaches sucking, you have a QB that's an egotistical dipstick. Lesson number one, don't show off when your team is losing. Matt Ryan had it exactly right, "get the hell off the field." If Cammy Cam Cam had earned his stripes, perhaps I'd be more accepting of his antics, but he has not earned ANYTHING. Until he does, he should keep his mouth shut, and lose the superman act.

:roll:

So I'm assuming Aaron Rodgers "discount double check" is fine because he's earned his stripes? Kaepernick's puckering up to his biceps is fine because he's earned something?

And how does one earn something? By winning games, right?

And how does one win games? Oh right, by not having one of the weakest head coaches in the league and worst front offices in the past 5 years.

You're falling into the same trap that so many others fell into with Ryan. You're letting one isolated incident (Newton's posing down 16 points in Week 3 of last year) define your entire opinion of him. Ryan throws one late game pick to Troy Polamalu, and "he'll never be more than an above average QB."

Or rather your exact words were:

RobertAP wrote:
I'm starting to take pot shots at Ryan. I believe that he's better than Vick by leaps and bounds. But I don't think that he's in the same neighborhood as Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Favre, etc. I really hope that we see him start to make those strides. I also think that our scheme/playcalling might have something to do with it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13674&p=89175

You should try to be as open-minded with Newton as you once were with Ryan nearly 3 years ago. And given Newton's background, and he has Ron Rivera instead of Mike Smith and Marty Hurney instead of Thomas Dimitroff, you should be even more forgiving.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

This isn't about Cam's stats, Carolina's record, or any of that. It's his attitude. I don't care how bad the team that he plays for is, HE is responsible for HIS attitude. Plenty of top notch players have played on bad teams. The vast majority of those players didn't whine and cry about it, and they didn't showboat when their team was losing. I'm sure that you can cite exceptions, but it's not all that common, especially at the QB position.

Cam has every opportunity to do better. However, he certainly won't win any friends with his team by saying, "I'm rooting for that divisional rival when we're not playing them." Cam is doing nothing to help his situation. Talented as heck, dumb as a rock. Michael Vick was the exact same way. Go figure, Michael Vick is Cam's hero.

Matt Ryan has never displayed any personality traits that might be construed as, "bad." Ryan has been the image of a perfect leader ever since he got here. Yes, I took issue with Ryan not developing, but I have always maintained that the coaching staff was at least partly to blame for that. (It's right there in that quote)

As for Kaepernick... He hasn't even played a full season. So no, he hasn't earned squat yet either. Remember when Cammy Cam Cam was putting up back to back 400 yard games? I haven't seen much of that lately. Kaepernick could have a horrible 2nd year as well. The first few games of a career do not define a player's greatness.

But again, the issue, which leads me to believe that Newton will not be a top QB in the NFL is how he handles himself as a person and leader of his team. To this point, he hasn't demonstrated that he's capable of being a winner in the leadership department, in the NFL. That's the one thing that separates Cutler from Manning. George from Favre. Cam is immature. Immaturity doesn't bode well for NFL QBs. I can think of only one QB who was seemingly immature who recovered and made a solid career for himself. I wish the best of luck to Cam Newton, but I doubt that he'll ever really amount to much as an NFL QB. I sincerely hope that I am wrong. As I have said, and maintained, cam is talented as heck. It sure would be nice to see him live up to his talent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:32 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Does this fall into the "You can't handle the truth" file? Is the public really not savy enough to understand that these guys arbitrarily land on teams that they may well have never given a second thought to in terms of fandom before being drafted. That this is an issue of any sorts just plays to the PC or whatever you want to call it wherein we've fought countless wars to allegedly get our rights to free speech but no one wants you to really say what you think. Is it a PR smooth move for the CAR org? Probably not. Matt's pressers are generally like a lesson in politician's interviews where you basically get next to nothing. Cam's an out sized personality. That's just who he is. It's funny to me how we all want the choices in life to be between mayo and Miracle Whip. This is a non-story on a slow news day. "Retardation" abounds in the populace. Hard to know whether to laugh or cry.

I don't know that I would say Newton is an inaccurate passer, Pudge. He may not be remarkably accurate but I don't think he is inaccurate...if you follow the slight distinction. I thought he was pretty accurate in college esp on his deep ball and t has not been glaring in the pro games of his I've watched. A small sample, granted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:27 pm 

backnblack wrote:
I thought he was pretty accurate in college esp on his deep ball and t has not been glaring in the pro games of his I've watched. A small sample, granted.

I'm talking relative to the top QBs. As Ron Jaworski said on his QB countdown, Cam's accuracy can be scattershot. Too often. He doesn't throw with great anticipation and timing, at least not on a consistent basis. He's more of a thrower than a passer, if you get the distinction. I agree, his deep ball is one of the prettiest, most impressive I've seen. That, and his mobility are his greatest strengths. His weaknesses are throwing with anticipation, timing, and consistent accuracy. The ideal offense will play to his strengths, which is throwing down the field. That ideal offense is one that takes pressure off him by running the ball consistently and also plays good defense so that they can keep scores low so that Cam won't have to play catch-up all the time is the ideal team. Think the 2008-10 Ravens, or the current 49ers/Seahawks teams.

RobertAP wrote:
Talented as heck, dumb as a rock. Michael Vick was the exact same way. Go figure, Michael Vick is Cam's hero.

There are a ton of easy comparisons to make between Vick and Newton. Both were lacking in collegiate experience. Both were players that largely relied on their unique athleticism to succeed at the collegiate level. Both are/were raw pocket passers. Both suffer from immaturity.

But I think there is one key difference between Vick and Newton. I don't sense one single bit that Cam doesn't want "it." Vick was lazy and didn't want to put in the work. He didn't want to be a pocket passer. He wanted to play "backyard football". Let me be me. I'm the last one in the building, the first one out the door. That was how Vick was.

Cam is not that way. Cam hates losing. Cam isn't a quitter. He pouts, sure. He needs to do a better job handling adversity. Absolutely. But when the Panthers were 2-8 last year, did Cam quit on his team? No. He proceeded to play his best football because the team went to a more conventional rushing attack and played better defense. He got more support, and the Panthers won 5 of their final 6 games.

In both 2005 and 2006, when the Falcons were eliminated from playoff contention, Vick opted to stop showing up and quit on his team twice.

That's a fundamental difference between the two, and while they may be alike on 90% of the other stuff, that 10% makes up the difference.

Will Cam ever be a Top QB? If by Top QB, you mean the type that can go toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers, the Mannings, in the same way that Matt Ryan can? Then IMO the answer is NO.

But I don't think he has to be. IMHO, this is the same issue that Jay Cutler faces. People keep trying to make him into something that he is not, nor will he ever be. Bill Barnwell wrote something fascinating last year, comparing Cutler to Tom Brady. Brady pulls many of the same antics that Cutler is villified for, but because Brady won early in his career, it is seen as positive, while in the case of Cutler it's immaturity and negative.

Bill Barnwell wrote:
It's more than that, though. We let Favre get away with those bad games because he won a Super Bowl relatively early in his career, at which point he was free to produce all the stinkers he wanted. You wouldn't be surprised to hear that Favre trails only Drew Bledsoe for most four-interception games since 1990. You know who's tied with Favre, though? Tom Brady, another player who won early in his career and gets insulated from the sort of critiques Cutler suffers from when he plays poorly.2 How viciously would we have excoriated Cutler if he had been the one at the helm of that dismal Patriots loss to the Ravens in the 2009 playoffs? Or the Jets loss in 2010? What if Cutler had been the one who scored 14 points in Super Bowl XLII? Because Brady had already won his Super Bowls and established himself at some higher level of performance, we see those disappointing performances as bad games. If they had been Cutler starts, those would have been career-defining failures.

You say it's about Cam's attitude. No, it's not. It's about winning. If he had the same attitude and his team was winning, no one would be complaining. They'd be talking about that chip he has on his shoulder. Eli Manning was considered too passive a leader in his early days in New York. Joe Flacco was boring and dispassionate. Both when a title, and now it's quiet confidence, steady under pressure, etc.

If the Panthers were 10-6 instead of 6-10, yours and everyone's perception of Cam Newton would be vastly different.

In 2010, it was unfair to compare Matt Ryan who had played just 30 games to guys like Brady and Manning that had played roughly 150. It's the same with Newton now, as you compare him to Ryan. At least with Ryan, we expected that over time he would grow into that Brady/Manning type of QB. With Newton, he's never going to be that type of QB. And thus comparing him to Ryan, or any of the elite/near-elite QB's is folly.

Like Cutler or Matt Stafford, Tony Romo or Drew Bledsoe, or Michael Vick, or Daunte Culpepper, or Chris Chandler, or whomever, at a certain point their respective team is going to have to accept that this QB is of a certain type. And in the case of Carolina, who have gotten 2 good years from Steve Beurlein, 5 solid years from Jake Delhomme, and another 9 years of terrible to poor QB play, they have to realize that while Newton is not perfect, he's the best option they have.

Tony Romo isn't the problem in Dallas. Does Romo need to play better? Absolutely. But the core of the problem in Dallas is they don't run the ball. Because the Cowboys, their fans, and the media haven't realized that Tony Romo isn't going to be Tom Brady. Hell, he'll probably never be Matt Ryan. They need to run the ball.

Matt Stafford isn't the problem in Detroit. Stafford's mechanics were horrendous last year. He needs to clean that up. But he could if they ran the ball, and he wasn't asked to throw the ball 700 times a year. Stafford has a ton of bad habits and they won't get eliminated if they don't start to balance their offensive attack.

Like those two, Cam's got his issues that he needs to fix. But he's far down the list of problems the Panthers have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:39 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I really don't see many comparisons in Cam and Mike as far as playing style. Their body types are polar opposites as are their passing motions and so forth. I think Cam can be more like Ben R in Pittsburgh albeit more dangerous due to his speed. He can pout a bit and he loves the spotlight a little too much but I think these shortcomings are outweighed by his good side. Was there ever a QB less mature than B. Favre? He turned out OK.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:25 pm 

I think the Cam-Vick comparisons are fair to a certain extent. I made my share of them when Cam first came into the league.

But i think the "narrative" on Vick is that his "issues" were what kept him from being a top QB. I don't think the same narrative applies to Newton, because it's too early to judge him 2 years into his career, and he hasn't been put in the ideal situation to succeed in Carolina.

That was similar to complaints made with Vick early in his career, with Mora/McKay/Knapp running the show here in Atlanta. And while I've argued against those claims in the past, I do to a certain extent agree with them. Unlike some folks, I don't think those people can be blamed as the primary reason why Vick failed, as again I think his lack of work ethic is the primary reason why Vick failed. But I also am not too harsh on Mora/McKay because I believe they were in an unknown situation. When Vick came into the league, mobile QBs were relatively rarity. Putting Vick in the WCO made some sense given that the 2 mobile QB templates: Steve Young and Randall Cunningham, had their greatest NFL success playing in derivatives of the WCO (Young in SF, Randall in MIN). Essentially, Mora/McKay were the "pioneers/pathfinders/trailblazers." Developing a mobile QB like Vick was unknown territory then. If the first or second person to travel the Oregon Trail gets lost, you can't get too upset.

But I give a lot more flak to Rivera/Hurney in CAR, because they have the luxury of watching the rise and fall of Vick first-hand for 10 years prior to watching Newton. They also got Vince Young. We also got to see the entire careers of McNabb, Kordell Stewart, Aaron Brooks, Steve McNair, Jake PLummer, Daunte Culpepper (all of whom were just starting out when Vick came along). We also got to see Big Ben, Garrard, Tarvaris Jackson develop. We had a DECADE'S worth of Data on big and/or athletic QBs by which to learn from in order to put Cam's best possible foot forward. So the fact that the Panthers are failing miserably at that, it's hard to forgive. The Oregon Trail has been blazed, and mapped. The fact that you can still get lost traveling down it, is entirely your fault!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:37 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

at some point, dont you guys wonder if these men have been 'instructed' by thier agents, franchise and PR people, but just 'choose' to ignore it? I mean, honestly, who doesn't think the Falcons FO went to Roddy and told him 'hey, were aware that you have the 'right' to post on social media sites, but why not knock it off? just wait until you retire, and then post away. there is always the chance you are going to piss someone off, and bring unwarranted attention to our team'? I am absolutely SURE this has happened, yet Roddy persists on 'doing his own thang'. Well, that's immature, and it doesn't matter when your doing well, but when your struggling ( coaches or scheme or whatever ) then it's bad form.

I mean I could tell from year one that someone took Matt Ryan and grilled him on press conferences, how to handle himself on the sideline, body and vocal language. He just didn't pop out of BC speaking like that: the Falcons knew what kind of environment he would be stepping into, and prepared him for it. But moreso then that, he took it seriously and followed direction...I also think this must have also been done at Carolina. But for whatever 'reason', Cam just doesn't 'think' about how he comes off, and what he sounds like, and that is not the fault of the franchise. It's Cam. Just like Roddy: he has been instructed on how to act ( like a man!) but 'chooses' to ignore them.

Someone told him not to showboat when his team is behind, he didn't listen. That's on Cam. Nobody else.

Remember the story relayed by B Hebert I shared awhile back ( I heard it on 790 )? Where he saw JGeorge working out by himself, aloof, and told him 'hey, go hang out with your OL. Work out with them, it will pay off later'. To which JG replied 'go f*** yourself, old man'. Now right then and there, The Cajun Cannon told this little prick 'talk to me like that again, and I will kick your a$$ all the way to Lake Ponchartrain'. Guess what? He never took that advice: but he never spoke like that to Bobby again. Now had he taken that advice ( and much much more ) he might have been something special. I mean think of Matthew Stafford: having to go to the Lions AND live in Detriot. But I dont ever recall seeing him nut up or pout, even when he would throw away games. I havent watched a ton of games, so I could be wrong. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:43 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He actually did pop out of BC speaking like that, FG. Ever hear him interviewed back then? It's just who he is. That said, he will never be as popular in the league as Cam who is just made for the public eye. Folks got mad when Cam said he wanted to be an entertainer or something of the sort when he first came in the league. Remind you of the criticisms and comments of a guy we drafted who used to wear # 21?

As for Roddy, I think he is more of a ready, fire, aim guy. Honest question: does Matt have a Twitter account?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:23 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
He actually did pop out of BC speaking like that, FG. Ever hear him interviewed back then? It's just who he is. That said, he will never be as popular in the league as Cam who is just made for the public eye. Folks got mad when Cam said he wanted to be an entertainer or something of the sort when he first came in the league. Remind you of the criticisms and comments of a guy we drafted who used to wear # 21?

As for Roddy, I think he is more of a ready, fire, aim guy. Honest question: does Matt have a Twitter account?

fair enough. To be honest, I was a 'Dorsey Doofus' so I didn't really pay too much attention to MR at BC...But I absolutely believe after all the nightmare that went down with our previous QB, that the 'powers that be' ran Matt through a number of scenarios to 'prepare' him to avoid certain landmines right off the bat. The way he answered Q and A;s in his rookie season at camp, where the local media was trying to get him to 'comment' on the whole sad Vick fiasco was telling. I can absolutely see the PR dept prepping Matt 'listen if they bring up Vick, here's how to deflect the question without really answering it'. The thing is, Matt Ryan took was he was told to do and DID it. Anyways, that's what I believe, I really think they had polished Ryan and got him ready for the big stage. I think the folks in Carolina did this as well, but either Cam is A: incredibly dumb, or B:indifferent to how he is perceived. If it's A, then that pretty bad, but if it's ( as I think ) A AND B, then how could anyone blame anyone else BUT Cam Newton? :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:52 pm 

backnblack wrote:
He actually did pop out of BC speaking like that, FG.

Exactly. Was Ryan "coached up" coming into the league? I'm sure he was. But probably not to the level you think, fun gus. Matt Ryan didn't need to be taught "how to act" or "what to say" from Arthur Blank, Mike Smith, Thomas Dimitroff, or Tom Condon. Check out his Heisman site, there's no chance he was going to be an "entertainer and an icon." He didn't dream of that when he was coming into the league. His dream is to play 18 holes at Augusta.
http://www.bceagles.com/mattryan/

Check out a chat he had: http://www.bceagles.com/chat/101107aaa.html

Do you think folks at BC were leaning over his shoulder feeding him these answers? No. Ryan is a guy from a large, Irish Catholic family from Eastern PA. He was raised right:
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/1 ... in-philly/

Look, a good friend of mine from college was from a large, Irish Catholic family from Johnstown (Western PA). Good home training takes care of a lot of it, the ability to say the "right things" when someone puts a mic/camera in your face, unlike some other people:
http://jacksonville.com/sports/football ... -qb-blaine

I'd bet you $100 that nobody who works for the Falcons ever said anything about Vick to Ryan.

And I don't think Roddy has been instructed on how to act, fun gus, outside Terry Robiskie talking to his mother: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=m ... face120508. But I think you overrate the level of oversight that NFL teams have over their players, and how much they "control the message."

Outside New England, most NFL teams don't "feed" their players answers. Thus why most NFl players talk about how different New England is than any other place to play. Have you ever seen Mike Smith talk? It's about as "controlled" as you'd expect from sticking a mic into the face of a 11-year old and asking him about quantum physics.

The Falcons control the message by controlling access to the players. On the podcast I do for Pro Football Central, the guy that books the show tells me that the team instructs its players not to do certain media, radio, interviews. They don't tell them what to say. It's just simply that the players won't say anything dumb if they don't have the opportunity to say anything at all.

On twitter teams may follow them, but guess who is doing that? The 2 people and 3 interns in charge of the team's social media outlets. Arthur Blank doesn't care about twitter. You know what the person is called that would be dealing with "coaching" players off the field? He's called the "player development coordinator."

Guess how many people handle player development in the Falcons organization? 2. Guess how many people work in some variety of marketing/sales/ticketing on the Falcons payroll? 62.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/staff.html

backnblack wrote:
Honest question: does Matt have a Twitter account?

Yep, and it's the dullest thing you've ever read. :lol:

http://twitter.com/M_Ryan02

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:27 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
I'd bet you $100 that nobody who works for the Falcons ever said anything about Vick to Ryan.

Arthur Blank doesn't care about twitter.

really, Pudge? You honestly believe NOBODY who works for the Falcons ever said ANYTHING about Vick to Ryan? I will take that wager, but I dont know how we could go about verifying it. Perhaps when Ryan retires, he will talk about this, but not until then.

And if Blank doesn't 'care' about Twitter, then he is a fool. Blank, of all people, should care about 'social media' when he is fighting to build his new toy. I would not be surprised at all if there isn't 2 people whose sole part time job is to monitor FB,Instagram,Twitter and such. (If they would have had social media to the extent that we have it today back when MV7 was here, he might never have gone to prison. That dumbass would have been posting videos of dogfights! )These people would not show up on the roster, they would be sub-contracted out..Given how the franchise hired White Shoes to be a 'fixer' in the past( rolex,bottlegate,etc)back then, I dont think it's crazy to think a small investment in someone looking over social media is out of the question, especially for a guy who has had plenty of experience in corporate espionage building Home Depot. http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/dec ... /?banner=1

I guess we will see, though. We dont get to look 'behind the curtain' :wink: