It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White catches flack for Zimmerman verdict tweet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:31 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

'Tis a shame. Roddy had been on such a hot streak of not putting his foot in his mouth too. What had it been, almost a full 12 months.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football ... r-z/nYqXW/

Atlanta Falcons receiver White catches flack for Zimmerman verdict tweet

Sponsored Links

See reviews from your neighbors on Kudzu.com!

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Falcons wide receiver Roddy White caused another digital firestorm with a tweet last night after the outcome of the George Zimmeman trial was announced.

White called for the jurors to kill themselves. He then tweeted about folks wanting him to get in trouble and later he apologized on Sunday.

The Falcons will not comment on the matter, a spokesman told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Sunday.

Here’s the tweet that started his latest twitter controversy:

“All them jurors should go home tonight and kill themselves for letting a grown man get away with killing a kid,” he wrote on twitter.com on his verified @RoddyWhiteTV page.

White then didn’t know why some folks wanted him to get in trouble, presumably by the team or the NFL:

“It’s crazy how people on twitter want me to get in trouble for a tweet that they are retweeting because they want something to happen thanks,” White tweeted.

Finally, Sunday morning, he apologized:

“I understand my tweet last nite was extreme. I never meant for the people to do that. I was shocked and upset about the verdict. I am sorry,” White tweeted.

White, one of the few members of the Falcons who expresses his opinion on non-football matters, has gotten into several digital controversies from talking about gays to trashing the city of New Orleans. He normally follows with an apology.

The team has not commented in the past about White’s outspokenness.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: White catches flack for Zimmerman verdict tweet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

A lot of people are upset about this. I'm upset about this. The verdict was correct, but justice has not been done. In Florida, it is ok to stalk a suspicious, unarmed teenager, incite them to violence, and then kill them. If there had been any evidence that showed what led up to the physical altercation, there might have been some grounds to get Zimmerman for manslaughter. Unfortunately, there was no evidence. All we have is speculation, and you cannot convict a person over speculation.

That said, I'm very upset to see Zimmerman walk. If it's any consolation, I doubt that he will be getting a good night's rest any time soon. He has been having to hide his identity ever since he was arrested. I doubt that he will be involved in any neighborhood watches any time soon.

Unfortunately, this verdict might lead to more overzealous neighborhood watchers. Parents should instruct their children to run, or to seek help from a neighbor if they believe that they are being followed, and not to confront the stalker.

At least Martin's parents got a wrongful death settlement from the home owner's association.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
Unfortunately, this verdict might lead to more overzealous neighborhood watchers. Parents should instruct their children to run, or to seek help from a neighbor if they believe that they are being followed, and not to confront the stalker.

At least Martin's parents got a wrongful death settlement from the home owner's association.

I actually think the opposite to be true. Especially in Central Fla. What you are going to see now is a disarming of N.W.'s of private or HOA's, and the additional hiring of off duty officers 'moonlighting'. (This is a problem we have here in the Atl. There is a sizable amount of off duty patrol officers that are doormen and bouncers at various nightclubs, and also out patrolling neighborhoods for $$. Sure, they make extra $$ and are performing some kind of 'public service', but I can't help but think this cannot be good for them or Joe Public when they are on-duty during the day. But that's another story.)

The only thing sorrier them Roddy's ignorance is the way this whole thing went down, and the clowns in the carnival. I think we can all agree: GZ was a douchebag..He probably started a confrontation because he had 'gun muscles'. He most likely was gettting his ass kicked, and he shot and killed Trayvon. But this entire trial was generated by the media and by politicians. The chief of police didn't charge GZ and lost his job. The prosecution was inept and even so bad as to outright withhold evidence from the defense, and brought to trial a loser of a case. The POTUS came out and weighed in on the matter. The DOJ organized anti-Zimmerman protests, and now is looking into another failed case in Federal court. The judge was an idiot, the witnesses were awful, this entire fiasco could have been avoided. The State Prosecutor's should have originally gone to trial for a lesser charge, but were pressured not to do so. When it was too late to do that, I knew this a$$hole would walk. But if the DOJ seriously thinks about going after Zimmerman in a Civil Rights trial, while overlooking some of the HUGE mistakes they have made in the last 6 years, I personally think that would be a true shame. Even an a$$hole like Zimmerman (a 'white hispanic'?) deserves the right not be be tried twice for a crime after a jury ruled him not guilty.

:doh:

Last edited by fun gus on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm pretty much in agreement with the above posters, this guy is a horrible person and should be kept off the streets, with that said the evidence was limited and given the charges and Florida's laws, I can't blame the jury.

Therefore Roddy saying the jury should kill themselves was really off base, these people were just doing their jobs. If he said George Zimmerman should kill himself, that I'm all for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:47 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

what we really need here is the wisened opinion of one Marcus Deon Vick to steer us through the storm :ninja:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:51 pm 

That 4 on the Wonderlic is working well for Roddy. $42 million richer and still dumb as a stump :twisted:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-shepp ... think-he-w

Greta Van Susteren Smacks Down Atlanta Falcons Star: 'Do You Think He Watched the Entire Trial?'

By Noel Sheppard | July 15, 2013 | 10:38
12 103 Reddit0 1
A A
Noel Sheppard's picture

Atlanta Falcons star wide receiver Roddy White made some disgraceful tweets Saturday in response to the George Zimmerman verdict.

On Sunday, Fox News's Greta Van Susteren smacked White down writing, "Do You Think He Watched the Entire Trial? Or Did He Just Take Sides?":

Van Susteren countered:

These tweets are what role models do when they don't think first.

These tweets are not simply tweets disagreeing with a verdict for a trial he never watched in full -- this is more. It is full of hate and hate of the jury who was drafted by both sides after both sides agreed the jury could be fair.

Roddy White needs to know that trials and justice are not sporting events where you just pick sides. Justice requires evidence and the weighing of facts. And you have to actually SEE the ENTIRE trial.

Story Continues Below Ad ↓

As Van Susteren correctly observed, White would find it offensive if someone commented on his performance in a football game he or she didn't watch. Such a person would be a fool.

But that's what White and so many Martin-supporting Americans are doing in response to this verdict.

What they don't realize is that this is how our justice system works. We err on the side of the defendant because we feel more comfortable with guilty people walking free than innocent people being wrongly incarcerated.

This isn't to say that Zimmerman is guilty. Instead, the prosecution couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was, and he therefore was acquitted. Same for O.J. Simpson almost two decades ago.

What's sad is America's media have done a terrible job of explaining this. If they had, maybe folks such as White wouldn't be filled with so much hatred.

As for White's comment about what kind of a world we live in, Van Susteren answered, "[O]ne where professional athletes who did NOT sit in the courtroom watching the ENTIRE trial trashes a jury with vulgar language and suggests they commit suicide."

Indeed.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-shepp ... z2Z8kPOzrh

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:00 pm 

Eloquence from Victor Cruz following his distasteful tweet? Roddy is allergic! :twisted:

Check out the link to actually read Cruz's post-deletion comments.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/07/14/falco ... t=obinsite

Posted July 15, 2013
Roddy White, Victor Cruz apologize for Zimmerman verdict tweets
NFL
By Scooby Axson
Falcons wideout Roddy White apologizes for post George Zimmerman trials tweets. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Falcons wideout Roddy White apologized for George Zimmerman tweets. (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Roddy White and New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz apologized for comments they made via Twitter Saturday night regarding the outcome of the George Zimmerman case in Florida.

Zimmerman was found not guilty of murder or manslaughter charges in the shooting death of 17-year old Trayvon Martin, sparking debate among many NFL players over social media.

White sent out a tweet asking “what kind of world” we live in and recommending that the jurors in the case “go home and kill themselves.”

In the apology, White said he was shocked by the verdict and was upset. White, a nine-year NFL veteran, is no stranger to giving his opinion. Earlier this month, he blasted the Boston Celtics for hiring former Butler coach Brad Stevens

Cruz, who recently signed five-year, $43 million contract extension, said he doesn’t advocate violence under any circumstances. In his tweet, he said “Zimmerman doesn’t last a year before the hood catches up to him.” He immediately deleted the tweet.

Tags: Atlanta Falcons, New York Giants, NFL, Roddy White, Victor Cruz

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:44 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

White's comment is just Roddy being Roddy. That said, we really shouldn't tolerate that kind of crap from him. It also wouldn't surprise me if Arthur or Roger give Roddy a slap on the wrist for this one.

On the other hand, it would not surprise me at all if Cruz's comment is accurate. People all over have been speculating that Zimmerman has no chance at a, "normal," life after this. I'm pretty sure that they're not talking about guilt getting the better of him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:10 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Anymore if a guy gets a trial if he's found guilty or innocent I'm with the jury!!

If I'd have been there I'd have probably popped Zimmerman too, then just hurried back to Atlanta. The confusion would have been over (:

For those super serious; don't pop a guy in the face until you see he doesn't have a gun .......