Post subject: Matt Ryan rewinds tape on final drive of NFC title game
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:43 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2244 ... title-game

After Further Review: Ryan rewinds tape on final drive of NFC title game
June 17, 2013 8:36 AM ET

4 | Comments

Matt Ryan says the Falcons left points on the field in the loss to the 49ers in the NFC title game. (USATSI) Matt Ryan says the Falcons left points on the field in the loss to the 49ers in the NFC title game. (USATSI)

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- As Matt Ryan worked the projection system in the darkened Atlanta Falcons' quarterback room here at the team facility, looking to find the start of his team's fourth-quarter drive from the NFC Championship Game that I came here to break down with him, he offered me some advice.

"Before we get started, I want to say that the game wasn't won or lost on this drive," Ryan said. "We had opportunities earlier. I will pull up three plays from earlier that changed the game. We talk about three or five plays that determine the outcome. It wasn't just that last drive."
Jason La Canfora
Ryan next QB in line for big pay day

What? I am here to dissect a quarterback being 10 yards from going to his first Super Bowl, 10 yards from his taking that playoff-failure label that hangs on him and slamming it to the ground with authority, and he wants to talk about plays from earlier in the game?

Sixty minutes from a Super Bowl isn't quite as sexy as being 10 yards from it, but Ryan insisted.

"Before the fourth quarter even started, we had a bunch of plays that we didn't make, plays we made mistakes on that put us in that position," Ryan said. "Three of them stand out."

I came here to dissect his Falcons' final drive against the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship Game. It ended on a fourth-down incompletion with under two minutes left that sent San Francisco, a 28-24 winner, to the Super Bowl and the Falcons wondering what could have been. But first, Ryan wanted to study those three failed plays and their specific situations.

To help study each of those plays, I will offer some pictures and Ryan will provide the narrative to help make what happened more vivid -- even if Ryan and the Falcons might not want it that way.
Play No. 1.

Situation: The Falcons lead 7-0 and face a third-and-4 at the San Francisco 17 with 3:53 left in the first quarter.

Outcome: Ryan throws an incomplete pass to Jacquizz Rodgers and the Falcons settle for a field goal and a 10-0 lead, rather than a 14-0 lead.

Ryan's take: "We call for a wheel route with Quizz [Rodgers]. The protection is called right and we get the look we expect. We have our guy on the linebacker. But I throw the back-shoulder throw, when I should have thrown it over the top. Sitting here six years in, something as small as that is the difference between winning the Super Bowl and losing in the NFC Championship Game. We hit it over the top and he walks in. And then we're kicking a field goal at the end of the game. Nothing else changes and we play it out the exact same way and we kick to win [in the fourth]."
Play No. 2

Situation: The Falcons lead 24-21 and face a second-and-10 at the 49ers' 47 with 8:00 left in the third quarter.

Outcome: Falcons receiver Roddy White slips and Ryan's pass is picked off by 49ers nickel corner Chris Culliver.

Ryan's take: "We get the perfect look for our flat-hook. The guy [Harry Douglas in yellow circle] is clearing out inside and this guy (Culliver) is pulling outside. We're running down and hooking [White in red circle] on him. Rod didn't slip on one of these routes the entire year. He's one of the best in the league running this route. It's just second-and-10, plus side of the 50, and they haven't stopped us yet. We're moving the ball. There's another three points."
Play No. 3

Situation: The Falcons lead 24-21 and face a second-and-9 at the San Francisco 28 with just more than a minute left in the third quarter.

Outcome: Ryan fumbles the shotgun snap and San Francisco's Aldon Smith recovers. The play is designed to be a throw to Tony Gonzalez, who was open. But as you can see from the pictures, the 49ers sent their two inside linebackers on a blitz and Ryan peeked to see the one coming from his left and dropped the snap.

Ryan's take: "I'm hot off of one here [points to black X -- Patrick Willis] on the right side of the 49ers' defense. I am peeking out just to make sure that other one is not coming. You do it every time. They end up coming. And it's just peeking right there [Ryan puts the pointer on himself on the big screen in front of us.] The play is designed to go here [Tony Gonzalez in red circle]. At worst, we're at the 20. It's 24-21 at the end of the third quarter. We're either going up 31-21 or 27-21. Either way, nothing changes, and we're kicking a field goal to win it at the end. So we had three opportunities to put up potentially 21 more points or nine more points. This happens in every game. So before that last drive starts, there's a bunch of plays before that that we should have made. So we don't make those plays, and we are where we are, and have to make something happen on that last drive."

Finally, we get to that last drive. All quarterbacks dream of having the ball in the fourth quarter with a chance to get to the Super Bowl. That's what made talking to Ryan -- one of the league's most understanding quarterbacks as it relates to the media -- about that drive so interesting to me.
Finding the Fits
Rookie TE Toilolo gives Ryan a big target

Ten yards from a Super Bowl is big stuff.

It's even more so when you consider that Ryan suffered a separated left shoulder on one of the last plays of the drive. He made two throws on third and fourth down with his arm dangling.

Ryan wouldn't use that as an excuse, but as somebody who has studied the tape closely, and who has talked to many people in the Falcons organization, the shoulder was an issue on the final two plays. I told Ryan it was obviously impacting what he could do.

He'd have none of it.

"It's part of the game," he said.

That fourth-quarter drive started with 8:23 left in the game. Not panic time, but with the clock winding down and a trip to the Super Bowl on the line it was a tense time for many, but Ryan said in the huddle it wasn't that way.

"You're in normal game-plan mode with no hurry-up," Ryan said. "We were in that situation, game on the line in the fourth quarter and we're behind a bunch, so that was no different than any other situation."

The Falcons started at their own 20 after a touchback. They started the drive with a completion for 9 yards to White to get them going. Then it was a run by Jacquizz Rodgers for 2 yards and a first down, followed by an incomplete pass, two completions for a first down at the 42, and then a Ryan scramble for 3 yards -- "That's a big run for me," he said -- followed by a 5-yard completion to Julio Jones. That set up a huge third-and-2 from midfield with 4:21 left in the game.

The next play was one that many Falcons fans and players will remember for a long time. It was the perfect call at the perfect time and the quarterback executed it to perfection, trusting his reads and hours in the film room to make the right call, the right throw and hit a big play. Only it wasn't as big as it should have been. The completion went for 22 yards, but it could have easily been a touchdown as Douglas fell down and also lost the ball in the lights as he did. It gave the Falcons a first down, but it could have been six.

The key to the play was the film study Ryan and offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter put in before the game. They saw that the 49ers ran a look that showed two-deep safeties on third and 2-to-5 yards all the time, but they never played two-man on any of those plays. So when Ryan came to the line of scrimmage and saw both safeties deep, he knew something was up. He was right.

What he saw was that safety Dashon Goldson wasn't in a two-deep spot but was playing a disguised coverage known as "One-robber." Goldson (black X) in the pictures below ran hard to the middle of the field at the snap to try and put a double on Tony Gonzalez coming across from the other side. The idea being that Goldson would sneak down and surprise Ryan. It made sense. After all, the Falcons did have tendencies to go to Gonzalez in those types of situations. But the Falcons knew something was up. So they called the wheel route to Douglas. For it to succeed there couldn't be two-deep, and both corners on the two top receivers had to be in press-man. They were, which allowed Douglas (red circle) to run outside the pick of Julio Jones to get wide open.

Ryan's take: "We need both of the corners double-bumped and the safety can't be playing two-deep. And we got it. It's no good if they play two-man. But we played the percentages here. They didn't play it against this third-and-short at all. That's where I am a different player now than I was in year one or two. Back then I would have thought it was two-man. But we had it dialed up the way we wanted it. Third-and-short they think we're going to Tony. That's a good guess because we did it a lot. But we had a great call at the right time. It was set up from all our work."

Ryan jumped up to show how the team prepares during the week. On one side of the room was a wall covered by an eraser board with a smaller board also up front next to the projection screen.

He said on the big wall the team would put all the plays for no huddle, first and second down and other stuff. But it was the smaller wall that got him excited. "This is our third-and-2-5 stuff," he said. "This is where that came from. We knew they wouldn't play two-man in that situation."

The play had touchdown written all over it. If Douglas stays up, all he has to do is make safety Donte Whitner (blue X) miss the tackle and it was a touchdown.

"That's another one of those plays," Ryan said. "Maybe we score. Regardless we're still in a great spot. That would have been a tough tackle to make coming from that side."

That put the Falcons in business with a first down at the 28. A run for 9 yards by Rodgers and a 3-yard completion to Douglas -- a TD was prevented by a great tackle by Goldson -- and the Falcons had a first-and-10 at the 49ers' 16 with 2:23 left.

On first down, the Falcons ran Rodgers for a yard. They ran because the 49ers safeties were playing way off, and the check at the line was to a weak-side zone run. The 49ers won up front, but even so Rodgers had a big lane on the backside if he could have gotten there. He didn't. Gain of 1. I thought this was a momentum killer, but Ryan said the two-deep safeties dictated the check to the run.

That's where it went bad for Ryan and the Falcons. On second-and-9 from the 15, Ryan took the shot that did in his shoulder. The play call was a design option route to running back Jason Snelling out of the backfield. But the 49ers did something the Falcons didn't expect. They had outside linebacker Aldon Smith hit Snelling as he tried to sneak out of the backfield. That slowed the route. You can see this from the pictures below. If Snelling (red circle) can get out clean, he has Willis on an option route and a lot of room inside. But the delay caused Ryan to hold the ball, and it allowed Ahmad Brooks to hit him and come down on top of him as he released to Snelling for a 5-yard gain.

Ryan's take: "It was a good call on their part to bang the back as he came out. If he has a free release, he has an option route against their worst cover guy. We're just late getting him out. Looking at the void, I kept thinking, 'get there, get there.' Where the heck is he? I was waiting for him. Having played a long time, I could feel the rush coming instead of seeing it. He hit me and when I went down it was exposed and it drove my shoulder down. It popped right out. I'm going, "you have to be ----ing kidding me. This is the worst time. It hurt bad."

There were two more downs and 10 yards to go. Ryan wasn't about to sit down. Not now.

"He had a shoulder injury that in normal circumstances probably would have taken him out of the game," Koetter said. "Matt was in a lot of pain the last two plays, but it was impossible for me to know exactly how tough it was since Matt would never let on."

On third down, with his shoulder feeling like it had knives digging into it, the Falcons called for a short pass to the right to White. It was an easy throw on a play the Falcons used a lot.

But the play calls for Ryan to throw it on his fourth step. He threw this one on his sixth. Brooks knocked the pass down and it never got to an open White (red circle below).

There was some talk that Ryan could have thrown to a wide open Gonzalez (yellow circle), a play the Falcons did run successfully in practice, but Ryan said he took the safer approach.

Ryan's take: "It should be a completion at four or six steps. He's open. I didn't realize I threw it at six until after the game. I could have put my foot in the ground and thrown it backside to Tony. But to me this was the first read. That's a green-light one. We always talk about how we can't pass up a profit. That's a profit. You can't go from one to three if one is there. And it is. When you are coaching, there's always a gray area. When you're playing, your ass is on the line you need concrete rules to go by. The grass is always greener after the game. You could have done this. Well, I have this information at the snap, not the ability to rewind it back and analyze it. I have 10 seconds at the line of scrimmage to decide where this thing is going and 2½ seconds to pull the trigger. Roddy's open. I have to throw it. We've hit that play a lot for touchdowns as he dives to the pylon. We run it every day in practice. I just should have made the throw on two fewer steps."

Now it was fourth-and-4 from the 10. A trip to the Super Bowl hung on this play. The play call was for White to run an option route from the slot on the right. But the 49ers doubled both him and Gonzalez. The Falcons had the wrong play called. Ryan had nowhere to go with the football. Koetter admitted that it wasn't a good play to run.

As you can see from the pictures below White (red circle) is bracketed by NaVorro Bowman and Whitner (blue Xs) and Gonzalez is doubled by corner Tarell Brown and Goldson. That double on Gonzalez essentially eliminated him at the snap, Ryan said, even if he did get open because the 49ers played it poorly. But it was a quick throw, so Ryan couldn't come off to that side anyway. The play was going to White. The problem is he had no option. When he ran inside, Bowman was there to take him on. If he optioned out, Whitner was there. So White tried to cross the field, got bumped by Bowman, and the ball fell incomplete. The 49ers were going to the Super Bowl.

Ryan's take: "Tony was running a slant route and they had a triangle around him. He's done. Eliminated before the snap. They played bracket coverage on those two. I have to give them credit. They had a better call than we did. They were doubling both the players they needed to double in that situation. There was no other option but to go to Roddy. It was our quick game. It wasn't a full-field read, where I take five-step drops and keep climbing the pocket. It was quick. And they made a good call."

Koetter said the call that would have worked was to run White through the two defenders to the end line (last picture above). The Falcons have used that play in the past with success, but Koetter was thinking first down in that spot, not touchdown.

"He catches it right at the C and we're on the podium," Ryan said. "But you don't get do-overs."

Ryan left the field 10 yards from his Super Bowl, knowing all too well that the Falcons left plays on the field.

"In a way, I was shocked we didn't score there at the end," Ryan said. "We had done it so many times before. We were facing one of the best defenses, if not the best defense, and I still thought we would go down and score. We just didn't get it done."

The story ended there. But what if the Falcons had scored? Would Ryan have played in the Super Bowl? The Falcons say he had four-week injury. There was only two weeks between the title game and the Super Bowl.

"Knowing myself, I think I would have played," Ryan said. "I would have done everything to play in that game. Yeah, I would have played."

What about the four-week timetable?

"That's four weeks to 100-percent," Ryan said. "Get about halfway there and you have to go."

And if he had played, and taken a hit on the shoulder?

"I wouldn't be practicing in OTAs today," Ryan said laughing. "I'd be taking my time getting it right."

As it is, he's working his butt off -- a new $100-million contract soon to come -- trying to get back to where he was last January, and then a few steps more.

Ten yards away from a Super Bowl is not what you want highlighting your quarterback resume --- even if, as he says, it really came down to a lot more than that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Matt Ryan rewinds tape on final drive of NFC title game
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

This is the kind of stuff that I love to read, and why I love Matt Ryan. Matt is as up front an honest in these types of articles as any player I have ever read about. You get fantastic insight as to what really went down out there, and Ryan tells you about ALL of what went down. We've debated about this stuff on here, and this article pretty much gives us the whole story. Thanks for this one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:05 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I enjoyed this too, but I think Ryan covers for other players..... Harry Douglas falling down -while running in a straight line is I think nerves that Harry misjudged the ball.

The two Mistake Ryan admits to is huge.
Quote:
There was some talk that Ryan could have thrown to a wide open Gonzalez (yellow circle), a play the Falcons did run successfully in practice, but Ryan said he took the safer approach.

Ryan's take: "It should be a completion at four or six steps. He's open. I didn't realize I threw it at six until after the game. I could have put my foot in the ground and thrown it backside to Tony. But to me this was the first read. That's a green-light one. We always talk about how we can't pass up a profit. That's a profit. You can't go from one to three if one is there. And it is. When you are coaching, there's always a gray area. When you're playing, your ass is on the line you need concrete rules to go by. The grass is always greener after the game. You could have done this. Well, I have this information at the snap, not the ability to rewind it back and analyze it. I have 10 seconds at the line of scrimmage to decide where this thing is going and 2½ seconds to pull the trigger. Roddy's open. I have to throw it. We've hit that play a lot for touchdowns as he dives to the pylon. We run it every day in practice. I just should have made the throw on two fewer steps."

Plus throwing the pass to Quizz's left shoulder. He just made a bad pass the only thing left was the sidelines.

I don't understand why Ryan's explaining this now? Their's always many plays that could be made, but with the game on the line those plays at under two minutes are still more significant!!

I think this is more for the players than the fans. It reads very well; but we didn't make a profit with Roddy and we passed on Tony G. getting the ball. I just find this explanation late in June kinda curious??

I'm sure Frisco missed as many opportunities; and as usual the Qb is mostly involved except with Roddy falling which is a big difference than a wide open Douglas falling??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:13 am 

A-He's talking about it now because that's when Pete Prisco asked him to talk about it.

B- the Final drive isn't more important just because it happened last. As Ryan said, if the Falcons make those plays earlier, then the importance of that final drive is negated because instead of the Falcons needing to get 7, all they need is perhaps 3, or perhaps they even have a lead at that point.

D-I'm sure Frisco didn't miss that many opportunities. Outside the 1st quarter, the 49ers gameplan was executed to near perfection.

E- What's "huge" about Ryan's admissions?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:52 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge said
Quote:
B- the Final drive isn't more important just because it happened last. As Ryan said, if the Falcons make those plays earlier, then the importance of that final drive is negated because instead of the Falcons needing to get 7, all they need is perhaps 3, or perhaps they even have a lead at that point.

Pudge in every game their are missed opportunities........You will ALWAYS BE AB ABLE TO SAY IF WE'D done this or that earlier, we wouldn't be in this situation at the end of the game. Players can say anything they want but the pressure in first, second or third quarters just is not as tense when the game is winding down and you get around 3:30 in the fourth quarter and either you stop them and win, or a field goal or T.D. would win. The Pressure is greater on everyone. If you miss an assignment and your Qb gets sacked and it takes you out of a field goal situation you've probably lost the game. Any error AT THAT POINT will determine the outcome. Sure you wish you had plays back but nobody does, so the moment for earlier success is over...... So you get it done in the last few minutes or you lose either offensively or defensively right then. Those are the pressure plays.

As for Ryan its a big mistake if you'd have a good play, if you made an earlier throw (when you could) than run into a defender because you held the ball to long. (That's what I thought he said he did)

I'm not picking on Ryan the Qb handles every snap and usually gets credit for most scores; and gets bashed for many mistakes that are not his.

Ryan could have made these comments at anytime; any sports writer will quote him.
I'm allowed to wonder why now?? You sure don't know that he hasn't been asked before??

Every game that is close I believe most teams will say "that a certain botched play didn't lose them the game" and taking the game in totality it didn't. When its tied in the fourth quarter though; whats has passed has passed, and the few remaining plays need to get made and therefore are the pressure plays that needs to be made.

Like Denver giving up a 70 yard pass with 15 seconds left!! That was the most important play in the game because it was the last one; and cost Denver the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:13 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Great article and insight. Prisco is a big Falcons and Ryan fan. MR shows such great leadership. In this regard he is everything he was advertised as. I agree he is answering these questions now because they were asked now while Prisco was visiting camp. Do you really think Ledbetter is capable of getting this kind of stuff? As to late pressure, etc., the 49ers get a vote here as well. I think Matt is pretty much spot on in his view of how the game went down and, yeah, he is shielding his team mates from some criticism which is what a great leader does. I've not always been in his corner fully and there are things about him that in a perfect world I would like to change but all in all I think we are lucky as hell to have this guy and expect he will only get better. :up:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:31 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I think he will get better too. His long ball really improved last year IMO, and I think he hit the weight room as he said he would!!

I mean he's the best Falcon Qb in history, I think some are over sensitive about any questions asked of him, but he's about accomplished in a few years what most of our qbs never accomplished. With me giving him lots of praise I think its alright to question
some potential mistakes .... Matt almost says we should have scored on the last series,
but I'm not coming to the defense of our spotty defensive play either!!

Frisco deserves props all the way around. They really lost a heart breaker from their point of view in the Super Bowl.

Does Frisco feel better or worse than we did??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:33 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think he pretty much says we should have scored when he says he was "shocked" we didn't. Aside from not having a cannon arm or being a mobile, "athletic" type QB I cannot think of any other glaring holes in his game. His ability to deal with late game pressure is typically one of his very strongest points. Personally, of course, I loved that the 49ers lost the SB in such a similar fashion as we lost the NFCCG and was really proud of the classy way Smith and company took the loss relative to Harbaugh whining about officiating. What Blank has done with this org since the self immolation of the Vick/Petrino Era is truly remarkable. That dumpster fire was paradoxically the best thing that ever happened to this formerly sorry franchise. AB is a bit on the patronizing side and his desire to have his own mug thrown into the mix in the public forum so much is a turn off to me big time but I have a hard time not liking the guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:16 pm 

Cyril, I agree that as the game progresses the pressure mounts and the margin for error decreases. But I don't think that necessarily makes it more important.

If that was the case, then in everyday life, the things we do today are more important than the things we did yesterday, and I don't believe that is always the case.

Yes, we all know that football games are often determined in the fourth quarter. Coaches and teams tend to play with that in mind, conservatively. Let's not shoot ourselves in the foot before the fourth quarter. Let's not go for two, let's punt, we'll settle for field goals, etc. Such a conservative strategy is based around maximizing your future opportunities rather than limiting them.

But the most important plays IMO came in the 3rd quarter, not at the end of the game. When the Falcons failed to score on their two drives, that changed how the rest of the game went. The Falcons were up 24-21after the 49ers opened up the 2nd half with a TD drive. As Ryan noted, they were driving and wound up throwing a pick to Culliver on Roddy's slip, which should have at least been 3 points. If Roddy doesn't slip, it's like 1st & 10 at the 49ers 37. And if the Falcons only get 5-7 yards on their next 3 downs they are in ideal FG range for Bryant. That pushes the score 27-21 at the very least. Then if the rest of the game goes exactly how it went, and the 49ers score at the outset of the 4th quarter to go up 28-27, then the Falcons final drive only needs a FG to potentially win the game.

The other drive in the 3rd quarter is the Ryan fumble. He fumbles the ball at the 49ers 28 yardline, on a 2nd & 9. The Falcons are already in FG range at that point.

And I should note that I forgot that the 49ers blew some opportunities as well. Between the Falcons 2 turnovers, Akers missed a 38 yd FG. Now, that's not an out of character mistake for Akers, who had been missing those kicks all year long. But it's noteworthy. And also following Ryan's fumble, the 49ers moved the ball down the field to the 1, and Crabtree fumbled at the 1. Forgot about that one. That's 10 points the 49ers left off the board.

But my point is why are these four drives that essentially amounted in ZERO points but potentially could have amounted to at least 16 combined for both teams if not more, less important than the final drive? The final drive only affects 3-7 points of the game.

Because they are not. Yes, we think of the final drive as the determiner of the game, and it did, but only in the sense because in the fourth quarter it becomes a zero-sum game, where there is only a winner and a loser. But those earlier plays have just as much if not more impact on the outcome of the game, it's just that because they occur in the first 3 quarters or in this case the first 47 minutes of the game, they don't have zero sums.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:57 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril said
Quote:
Every game that is close I believe most teams will say "that a certain botched play didn't lose them the game" and taking the game in totality it didn't.

I think I'm agreeing, but few take the game in totality, you can't get back your missed opportunities; even if they would have won you the game. Sometimes your stuck with your last two minutes of play. At that moment that's all that counts, although as we've both said to fully analyze the game you need to count everything.!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 am 

I agree with that, people rarely take football games, and a lot of things in life and football in totality. Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher are defined by their lone Super Bowl titles, as opposed the other 25 seasons they coached in the NFL (Dungy 11, Cowher 14). Should their Super Bowl titles take precedence? Sure. I have no problem with that. But it's ultimately only 7.4% of the total product either of them produced. That makes no sense for that small percentage to matter more than the other 92.6% of their collective body of work. Especially when by choosing to focus primarily on their Super Bowl success (as opposed to their failures) is actually a very arbitrary decision. It would be the equivalent of a student taking 10 tests, and his/her teacher than opting to take his best one and then base the entire year's grade off that lone test, completely throwing out the other 9 tests, let alone all of the other smaller assignments.

You have to judge an entire body of work. And it's easier to look at the Falcons wins/losses, look at the plays that were (or were not) made in the 4th quarter as the ones that are most important. Especially since we can much more effectively play the "coulda/shoulda" game because it's easier to gauge their exact outcome. You throw a pick with 4 minutes left in the game, it's easier to say that cost you the game than not going for it on 4th & 1 at your opponents 38 with 4 mins left in the 3rd quarter. Simply because the earlier a mistake is made, the more opportunities you have to make up for the mistake. But it doesn't make the mistake any less of a mistake.

And that probably goes back to how people perceive time. Since we can't affect the past, we tend to make the present matter more in our minds. And while in the moment, I think that's how you should see things. But when you have a chance to step back and really look at things with clarity, it doesn't mean that what you felt in the moment was right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:35 am 
Superstar
Superstar

BnB Said
Quote:
What Blank has done with this org since the self immolation of the Vick/Petrino Era is truly remarkable.

Well this is not hating on Blank, but Robert Kraft told him to hire Thomas D. Then Thomas D. got Smith. If Blank gets the credit for that then oK , HE'S BEEN REMARKABLE. I really think the combo of Thomas D. & Smith has been remarkable,
but I kinda feel like Blank was just following "orders" from a guy everyone respects.

Well I guess Blank didn't have to hire Thomas D. but he'd never have him without Kraft
telling Blank he'd be available. Thomas d. and Smith have really gotten along; and done a great job.

Ya its hard for me to give Blank any credit, because he was told what to do; in the middle of his 10 people search for a head coach.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:30 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I thought it was actually Ernie Accorsi? Being smart enough to take good advice from someone who knows more than you do is fine by me. At the end of the day, he did hire TD. Obviously, he essentially looked clownish chasing other coaches (Parcells, Carroll) but he finally got it right. He's also had the goal of excellence and while many of us eventually have to be content to settle for mediocrity some folks aspire for mediocrity. Blank's an organizer and a marketer. I think he should be given credit for having done that pretty well. He may have been "lucky" enough to have the whole thing burn to the ground but at least then he was smart enough to start over entirely.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:03 pm 

IMO, Blank will distinguish himself as one of the league's premier owners if/when over the next 2 seasons the Falcons don't win a Super Bowl, and whether or not he hits the panic button, as he would have potentially done in January had the Falcons actually lost the Seahawk game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

We've won one playoff game since Thomas D. AND Smith got here,
to read this board it is mediocre; but I basically agree SOMEBODY has done good.
I agree Blank gets credit if he takes blame. I don't recall Blank saying he could have handled the Mora, Vick, and Petrino years better?

Pushing for his own stadium has turned me off a little, he's already said he'd have licensed seating. We'll see how he does with his new stadium; I'm kinda with Pudge that Blanks record is still up in the air because we made steady progress, lets see how he reacts if things go a little sour.

He just wants too much attention IMO and that takes away some from the team. He's had some very crazy press conferences; I guess you just don't get everything you want in anyone!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:31 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

His attention craving is truly unseemly and I think the stadium is borderline criminal but I've believed all along that the dif in the NFL and the Mob isn't too great. It's like pols, once you realize that they are criminals it's easier to deal with them and understand their motivations. Tis true that Blank never came out and said he screwed up with Vick, Petrino, etc., but he has said things like that he has "learned" a lot since coming on board which is a backhanded way of saying it. The Falcons are a proverbial s*** sandwich and he has somehow made them not only edible but somewhat tasty. He has decades of bad mojo to overcome. They will never be loved like the Dawgs. It just isn't in the cards. The ball may not bounce his way but he at least has the ball out there which is more than you could ever say for the Smiths.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:43 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I'd love to see a weekly feature of a guest breakdown from the team, that would be awesome!

Oh and hi guys :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:36 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote
Quote:
Simply because the earlier a mistake is made, the more opportunities you have to make up for the mistake. But it doesn't make the mistake any less of a mistake.

And that probably goes back to how people perceive time. Since we can't affect the past, we tend to make the present matter more in our minds. And while in the moment, I think that's how you should see things. But when you have a chance to step back and really look at things with clarity, it doesn't mean that what you felt in the moment was right.

I agree with what you've said concerning football. The difference in life is you don't know when the 4th quarter is over until your dead (: Time changes things; many of us have posted together for 10 years + and the only thing I notice is we all seem more mellow.