It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFR: Patriots cut Kyle Love due to Diabetes
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:58 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Love has been a solid run stuffer for the Pats the past years. Maybe the Falcons need to look at him instead of Richard Seymour as a post-June signing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... e-released

Agent: DL Love told he'll be released
May, 15, 2013
MAY 15
4:52
PM ET
By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com
RECOMMEND54TWEET56COMMENTS88EMAILPRINT
The Patriots have made a surprising roster decision Wednesday, informing starting defensive tackle Kyle Love that he is being released with a non-football injury designation.

Love was recently diagnosed with Type-2 diabetes, according to his agent, Richard Kopelman of KLASS Sports.

“We have been informed by the New England Patriots that Kyle Love will be released NFI (Non-Football Injury/Illness),” Kopelman told ESPNBoston.com. “This comes on the heels of Kyle having been diagnosed within the past two weeks with Type-2 diabetes. Naturally, we are disappointed that the Patriots decided to part ways with Kyle, especially in light of the fact that a number of elite professional athletes with diabetes – both Type-1, which is known to be far more difficult to manage than Type-2 diabetes – have had very successful careers in professional football, hockey, baseball and basketball.

“Prior to the diagnosis, Kyle recently experienced unexplained weight loss, but since being diagnosed and having altered his diet, Kyle has regained most of the weight he lost, is in good health, and was not limited in any way during offseason workouts in which he was engaged up until being told he would be released.

“Having consulted with leading authorities on the effects of Type-2 diabetes, we have every reason to believe that Kyle will, in the immediate future, be at 100 percent, and will be prepared to participate in training camp in a couple of months. As Kyle said, 'there is no way something like this is going to stand between me and a long and successful NFL career.'”

Love started 11 games last season next to Vince Wilfork at defensive tackle in the team’s 4-3 alignment, playing 49 percent of the team’s defensive snaps. Toward the end of the season, Love split time as a starter with Brandon Deaderick, and Deaderick was released on Monday. Love enters his fourth NFL season in 2013.

Outside of Wilfork, the Patriots have almost completely turned over their personnel at defensive tackle, with free-agent signing Tommy Kelly and Canadian Football League import Armond Armstead the notable newcomers.

The 6-foot-1, 315-pound Love, who made the club as a rookie free agent in 2010, had been rewarded last year with a two-year contract extension that included a $500,000 signing bonus.

He played in 41 regular-season games over the last three seasons, with 25 starts, and was credited with 36 tackles and 5.5 sacks. His primary role was to occupy blockers so linebackers behind him could make plays, which he did as a 3-4 nose tackle and 4-3 defensive tackle. Love would often come off the field in passing situations.

Love is subject to waivers, meaning that any of the league's 31 teams can claim him. If Love isn't claimed, he will become an unrestricted free agent.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NFR: Patriots cut Kyle Love due to Diabetes
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:01 am 

That sounds like a great idea to me. I'm really surprised that the Patroits would actually release Love due to a diabetes diagnosis. Just because you have it doesn't mean you can't be someone that plays at a high level in professional sports.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:20 am 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -released/

Love got claimed by the Jaguars. Would be interested to know if the Falcons put in a claim.

Patriots gave Love two options: Retire for a year or be released

Posted by Mike Florio on May 16, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT

Getty Images
It’s becoming more clear that the New England Patriots cut defensive lineman Kyle Love for one reason. He has Type-2 diabetes.

And while Love could, in theory, pursue legal claims against the team under the federal Americans with Disabilities Act or the Massachusetts equivalent, agent Richard Kopelman tells PFT that Love’s current focus is on getting healthy and finding a new NFL team.

Though Kopelman hasn’t completely ruled out an eventual lawsuit, Kopelman explained that Love has no hard feelings against the team for doing what it believed it needed to do. From Love’s perspective, if the team doesn’t want him, then he needs to find one who does.

What his most recent team did, per Kopelman, was offer Love two alternatives: retire for a year or be released. Though the Pats were willing to waive any ability to recover a portion of his signing bonus if he opted to retired, Love wants to play football.

And so the choice became easy. He picked the path that gives him a chance to play.

“We have every reason to believe Kyle is going to be well enough to play this year,” Kopelman said. “We’d rather be in position of having a chance to play this year versus not having a chance to play this year.”

The period for claiming Love’s contract on waivers expires at 4:00 p.m. ET. If he’s not claimed, Love becomes a free agent.

Kopelman also explained the communications that resulted in Love’s release. From the moment the team’s doctors made the diagnosis, the team adopted the “retire or be released” stance. Kopelman told the Patriots that “it’s far too early to make a decision as to whether [Love] can perform his job in September, or even July,” and that “all indications are that Kyle should be fine in a couple of weeks.”

Still, the Patriots “reiterated it’s a medical issue and they don’t want to take a chance of Kyle not being healthy.”

While Kopelman has managed to take the high road, someone needs to point out that the Patriots are joyriding on the low one. Jettisoning an employee who has a disease simply because the team fears that the disease could affect future performance is wrongheaded, unfair, and ultimately illegal.

It sends a bad message to mid-level managers in other industries who spend more time in the sports pages than the business section. “It just seems wrong,” one of my family members who has been living with diabetes for years said in an unsolicited text message that buzzed through while I was typing this. “It upsets me and confuses me and makes me wonder what other kind of discrimination is out there for someone like me.”

That’s a fair concern. People with diabetes lead normal lives. And so at a time when the biggest talking point in the NFL relates to whether a team will accept a gay player, how can any NFL team in good conscience reject a player due to a medical condition that has no relevance to his ability to perform his job?

Even if Love never takes action, someone should — either at the league office or in the Patriots’ front office.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Being claimed by the Jags, wow the side effects of Diabetes are horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:56 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Type 2 diabetes by itself is not a reason to release anyone. And since I have type 2 I have a pretty good idea of the issue and problems. But then we have the almighty "it depends..". If the disease is not under control and if Kyle Love is eating donuts after every practice, then I can see why the Pats might not like the risks.

The best way to control moderate type 2 diabetes is a modest diet and at least half an hour of exercise a day. Some type 2s have also lost enough insulin production that they need insulin injections as well.

They may be worried that to control the disease, he is going to lose enough weight to be ineffective on the line.

Or this may just be BS put out by Kyle's agent to hide the real reason they're cutting him. Because if my work said they were releasing me because of my diabetes it would be instant lawsuit on my part. There would be no consideration. There would be a lawyer and as many inconvenient depositions as I could possibly dream up.

D-