It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Linebackers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 pm 

I hope upgrading the linebacker position is a priority for the Falcons. I'd say right now the Falcs have one of the least talented linebacker
core in the game. Hopefully either a linebacker can be signed through free agency or after the June 1st cuts. I think Brian Banks will be a feel good story for depth but come on having Dent as your middle linebacker for a team trying to win a Super Bowl just not happening.
Overall our linebackers just aren't that talented.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Linebackers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:35 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Dimitroff stated in his post draft presser that linebacker was a position they targeted that they weren't able to have good value at their spots.

So, I'd think they're on it. At least they recognize the deficiency. I'm personally more concerned with RG and DT, but agree Dent won't get it done. I'd simply get a better outside linebacker, and leave Dent on the bench and let Nich, Spoon, and new OLB play in base, and Spoon and new OLB play in nickel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Our front 7 is a train wreck at this point. We didn't do much of anything to rectify that in free agency or the draft. Sure, we've added a bunch of DE's to the roster, but the middle of our defense is weak, and teams will continue to exploit that. I don't really see how we're going to fix it at this point. Perhaps we'll get lucky when June 1st gets here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:48 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Dent, but I'm not going to write him off. He struggled vs. the inside run last year, something you don't want with a MLB, but I think a big part of that was due to lack of experience. He was thinking as opposed to reacting.

There should be significant growth with Dent this year. If not, then the Falcons can move on in 2014.

I am concerned about the lack of depth, but I am also confident that the Falcons can pick someone up off the street before camp if need be if they go through minicamps and OTAs and don't like what the young guys have to offer.

But given the presence of Pat Schiller on the roster, the Falcons really don't need to address their depth.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:09 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

RobertAP wrote:
Our front 7 is a train wreck at this point. We didn't do much of anything to rectify that in free agency or the draft. Sure, we've added a bunch of DE's to the roster, but the middle of our defense is weak, and teams will continue to exploit that. I don't really see how we're going to fix it at this point. Perhaps we'll get lucky when June 1st gets here.

I really expected a DT (or two) in the draft. Since we didn't get one, I definitely hope they pick up a vet after cuts. It's not like we have a lot of developing talent at DT we're waiting on.

One push DT would REALLY help out this D (which is good. We're really just a legit DT away from having a shot at a good D, and a legit RG along with receiving depth away from being a top 5 consistent offense.)