Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... s/2083741/

Why Tim Tebow won't make an NFL roster in 2013
GAME ON!
Chris Strauss, USA TODAY Sports3:30 p.m. EDT April 15, 2013

TAGS
Newark

Tim Tebow (with Jets assistant special teams coach Louis Aguilar) arrives at the team facility for offseason workouts. (Photo: Mel Evans/AP)

Tim Tebow appears to be following up on his promise to arrive at New York Jets' voluntary offseason workouts with "a great attitude," showing up at the team's facility between 6 and 6:30 a.m. Monday, according to a report from the (Newark) Star-Ledger.

NO DICE: Why the Bucs aren't interested in Mark Sanchez trade

While that optimism is admirable, Tebow doesn't appear to fit into the Jets' plans, especially with the team signing free agent David Garrard to compete with Mark Sanchez for the starting quarterback role. But will Tebow find himself on any NFL team's roster in Week 1? Here are four reasons why that's looking unlikely.

1) Timing

The Jets continue to seek trade options for Tebow despite lukewarm interest thus far. As Mark Klis of the Denver Post explained in detail this weekend, the Jets owe the Broncos $1.53 million in advance salary Denver paid Tebow as part of his rookie deal and would still owe this money even if they cut him. Because of this, they are likely keeping him around in hopes that they can salvage something in exchange for that money. If the Jets wait until after the draft and even possibly into training camp to let Tebow go, the less time he'll have to land a limited number of roster spots, especially if he's set on continuing to play quarterback.

2) The traveling circus

No matter how low a profile Tebow might try to take in a new locker room, he can't control the public fascination with him. His offseason speaking engagements (or planned ones, at least) don't help him in that regard. If you're an NFL GM, why would you court the added distraction of a backup who commands more attention than your team's best players?

As former NFL Pro Bowl quarterback Jeff Garcia told USA TODAY Sports last week regarding the Jets, "Having Tebow there (last season) just became more of a distraction, more of a circus show. Obviously, it's their decision. But from an outsider looking in, having Tebow there doesn't bring anything positive. It just brings distraction."

3) The need for two offenses

It's pretty evident at this point that if Tebow lands with another team, it won't be as a starting quarterback. Even if a team wants to utilize him in the kind of hybrid role the Jets originally envisioned, they would need to employ a separate chapter of the playbook solely for him. The Broncos had success with Tebow in 2011 when they pared down the offense to his strengths. Is there a coach out there who would trust Tebow to run a traditional attack as a backup if their starter went down? It's one thing to keep a hybrid type third-string quarterback around when he's just another of the 53 guys, like Brad Smith or Pat White. It's not worth it in this case.

4) The Tebow disciples

Thanks to his college accomplishments and half season of success in Denver, there are still legions of Tebow supporters who think the only thing keeping their guy from a Hall of Fame NFL career is the short-sightedness of NFL coaches and general managers. For a team with a tenuous starting quarterback, the chants for Tebow will be relentless every time the incumbent throws an incomplete pass.

That's why Jacksonville Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell made it a point to say in his introductory press conference in January that he couldn't "imagine a scenario where (Tebow would) be a Jacksonville Jaguar." If you're a team with a star quarterback, why mess with that dynamic? Aaron Rodgers didn't like it when 60 Minutes called him sensitive. Imagine if he had to deal with people clamoring to get Tebow on the field more?

PHOTOS: Tim Tebow's career in pictures

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NFR: Why Tim Tebow won't make an NFL roster in 2013
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Tebow is going to have to come to grips with the fact that when he was playing QB, he was not very good. His team was winning, but the winning was more because of the Denver defense than it was Tebow's amazing performance. Two teams have tried him at QB and have decided that he was not their guy. The other thing that he has to realize is that as he gets older, his QB style will not work as well. The window of opportunity for running QBs is considerably smaller than it is for pocket QBs. Also, running QBs tend to spend more time injured.

I'd bring Tebow in, but not to play QB. The kid is very talented, is a natural leader, and has all of those intangibles that the Falcons look for. But we have a QB, and Tebow would not be a good fit as a backup to him. On the other hand, Tebow could play another position, possibly FB or TE. Given his competitive spirit, he might make a pretty good NFL TE. I don't think that his legions would be a distraction so long as he made it apparent that it was his choice to come here to play FB/TE. "No one in the NFL is willing to give me a chance as a QB, but the Falcons, who have a fantastic QB, wanted to give me an opportunity to make plays in their offense."

I highly doubt that this will happen, but I think that the Falcons could handle it, and that it would be a good fit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:30 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Robert I think that's a great idea. I don't consider Denver just dropping him, but Manning probably did. I actually thought he was impressive his rookie year.

He could learn from Tony G. or he could fake a lot of Qb draws and run them.

Its not a perfect solution for anything, but it would build some excitement for Blank!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:21 am 
Superstar
Superstar

He has shown no ability to play tight end and I doubt he has ever blocked in any meaningful way to be fullback. It would be a waste of cap money on someone who has no NFL position and is a only a college, not a pro, football player. Enjoy the money that teams wasted on you, Tim because you weren't worth it.

W

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:08 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

in 2006 Tebow was considered 'not realy for college football' and was Chris Leak's backup. Everyone said 'he lacks the technique and mental discipline to be an effective QB at the college level'. By then end of that year, he had won his team the championship, went on to win more and got the Heismann.

They were wrong.

Then, they said 'okay, he won't even get drafted in the NFL. He would NEVER get selected in the first round'.

So, naturally, he gets selected in the first round.

Then they said ' okay, but he will never be a game changer. He will be backup for eternity, onlyu to be used in the Wildcat'.

He started playing and started winning.

They were wrong again.

Then, they said " okay, he is winning games in the NFL, but it's not him, it's the team. Look at how much he sucks throwing the ball. Against a 'good defense' he will definitely lose.'

Then, he threw ALL OVER the Steelers in a playoff game.

Now they are saying he wont even be in the league? It's positively laughable at this point.

Look, Im not overtly 'religious'. My hero is Penn Jillette and Christopher Hitchens. But at some point, I have to wonder why this guys gets so much heat. I understand he doesn't help himself in the off season going around to speak at religious things, but it's pretty apparent to me what the deal is.

Tim Tebow drives progressives/footballpuritans nuts. He is like a great big mirror, and they hate what they see.

He isn't a product of the failed education system. They try to portay him as a 'dummy'. Like this:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... c-t/nL5Kf/

"Tebow scored a 22 out of 50 on the Wonderlic test, an NFL source told the Post Wednesday. The score falls slightly below the average score for an NFL quarterback, which is 24."

They mocked his ambition to get a degree in Youth Counseling, when his life's work was helping impoverished kids in the far east.

He is good looking and physically fit. He doesn't swear, he doesn't date sluts, hell for all I know he probably doesn't eat meat and sh*ts crucifixes.

In the end, he continually proves them wrong,wrong wrong. And they hate him for it, because he exposes all thier own insecurities and flaws. They cannot wait fot him to f*ckup ONE TIME, to let down that 'Holy Shield', so they can all laugh and point and say 'A Ha! SEE!? He is a FRAUD!' Jeff Garcia? Everytime he looks at Time Tebow he blushes inside because he knows HE is the one in the ski mask, behind the bathrooms at the truck stop.

they will be wrong again. :beef:

I think he would be an excellent addition to the Falcons, honestly. I argued earlier that we didn't need to carry a '3rd' QB, and I would rather have a utility guy. Are you kidding me? They are saying he wont even be in the league! You mean to tell me you wouldn't part with a 7th round pick for this guy? You could pretty much cut Brady Ewing right now. Hey Arthur: want to see people actually GO to preseason games? Put Tebow in there. BOOM, you immediately sold alot more seats. This guy can singlehandedly run Blank's Philanthropy, at a time when he needs good PR being seen as an evil owner forcing his will on the city.

I would make the argument one of the teams Tebow should go to is us. There would be no 'QB controversy' and Matt Ryan is not going to be threatened, especially after inking his new deal. And if Ryan does go dow, at least it will be entertaining, and not in the Joey Harrington way.

Now I will sit back and wait for someone to call me a holynuthuggher. Or that I'm crazy, and TD wouldn't even consider it...But I would do it in a flash. :ninja:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm with you Fun Gus, of course everyone on this site already thinks I'm an idiot, so be joining you probably isn't helping much :doh: He is a good person, with a big body, intriguing skills, and is no threat to Ryan, so why not?

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm obviously not here to bash Tebow, but one good passing performance when the opponent has schemed to prevent the running threat does not make a great QB. Tebow has some potential, but like all running QBs, it's unlikely that he will develop the passing game to the point that he will consistently be successful. To date, none of the modern running QBs have won a Super Bowl. The only one who comes to mind is Steve Young, and he was as much of a passing QB as a running QB.

The formula for winning in the NFL starts with a QB who is an effective passer. That's not Tebow. As much as I like Tebow (and I like him plenty) I don't believe that he will ever be the kind of QB that will win a Super Bowl.

As such, I'd like to bring him in to play something else. Who knows, bring him in to play TE or FB, and let him tutor under Ryan. Perhaps, in time, he could backup Ryan while playing TE or FB.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:50 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
I'm obviously not here to bash Tebow, but one good passing performance when the opponent has schemed to prevent the running threat does not make a great QB.

this is confirmation bias on display. good grief. ONE? Okay, it was only against the Steelers, in the playoffs, in thier own house. all we need is Pudge to jump in with the obligatory stat 'passes Jeebus dont like' ( PJDL) to prove this point.

hilarious :rofl:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

FGs liking of Tebowie only confirms his horribleness. He simply has shown nothing to say that he is an NFL QB - starting OR backup.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:19 pm 

Honestly for the most part fun gus, I agree with your sentiments. I don't think Tebow is a great fit here in Atlanta as a backup because for him to be successful, he needs a steady ground game and a strong defense that can keep games tight. The 2010 Falcons would have been a great fit around Tebow, but if you take Matt Ryan out of the Falcons offense and substitute Tebow in, then Roddy, Julio, and Tony probaly all become 50% less effective, if not more.

With Tebow, both Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas played about 330 pass snaps. With Manning this year, both were above 650 (655 for Thomas, 675 for Decker). So roughly double.

Here are their numbers:

Thomas

Tebow: 42 catches, 848 yards, 20.2 avg, 5 TDs
Manning: 94 catches, 1434 yards, 15.3 avg, 10 TDs

Decker

Tebow: 44 catches, 612 yards, 13.9 avg, 8 TDs
Manning: 85 catches, 1064 yards, 12.5 avg, 13 TDs

Roughly about half the production correct? So on a per-snap basis, you could argue that both WRs were equally effective under each QB. But you have to remember that Tebow is not capable of throwing the ball 600+ times a year like the Broncos or Falcons did in 2012. The Broncos optimized their offense to his skillset (obviously by their winning). And that is an offense that throws less than 400 times a year (averages out to be roughly 375 for Tebow over 16 games).

You need your running game to pick up the slack of the other 200+ plays. And there's more pressure on your defense to be able to play at that pace as well. Their defense got a little help due to the fact that Tebow's play coincided with a stretch of season where they weren't facing that many top offenses. And two of the better offenses they faced during that span, Jets and Chargers played poorly in their respective games.

Tebow didn't throw all over the Steelers. He made a couple of good throws in that game, which I give him full credit for. But his 316 yards passing largely came on 5 plays:

51-yard pass to Thomas (good throw by Tebow over top of Ike Taylor)
58-yard pass to Thomas (double move beat Taylor)
30-yard TD pass to Douglas (good throw by Tebow)
40-yard pass to Fells (Polamalu out of position, blown assignment)
80-yard TD pass to Thomas (OT killer, Ryan Mundy was out of position, blown assignment, and Taylor missed a tackle which allowed Thomas to go the last 50 yards for a TD)

Those 5 plays went for 259 yards and 2 touchdowns, thanks largely to Ike Taylor doing then what Champ Bailey did this past January (i.e. looking very old). His passer rating was a perfect 158.3 on those 5 plays of course. Again, not saying Tebow shouldn't get credit for those plays. But outside those plays, he was 5 of 16 for 57 yards, a rating of 43.

Now, I want to stress fun gus, that I agree with you that Tebow has a place in this league. IMO, the Jets completely blew their opportunity because they are one of the few teams that play the brand of football conducive to his skillset. But for whatever reason, Rex Ryan never wanted to commit to that style of play (bad coaching on his part), even though that's exactly how they got to the AFC Championship 2 years in a row.

But the Legend of Tim Tebow as you perceive it, isn't quite as legendary. When you oversimplify it i.e. he threw for 300+ yards against the Steelers in the playoffs, yeah it looks awesome. But when you really break down Tebow's success, it's not as great as it may appear and it's not quite applicable to most NFL teams.

Now IMO, a team like Seattle should be all over Tebow. It really is the perfect situation for him. The Panthers would also be a fairly good landing spot for him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:38 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

The Jeff Garcia comment makes you look petty and small, dude. Rise above that. Argue for Tebow's strengths, but to churn out that ad hominem attack on Garcia is highly inappropriate. In all seriousness, what would Tebow do? Not that.

I wish Tebow all the success in the world, and I bet he'll find it, regardless of whether or not he ever plays another down in the NFL: He seems like a genuinely good man who wants to make the world a better place.

If that was a prerequisite to being a starting--or even backup--player, I'd argue for picking him up. If being successful in college was a prerequisite to being either, we should consider any number of highly successful college QBs, including JaMarcus Russell. I'm not saying Tebow=Russell, I'm saying your arguments don't hold water.

There is no run on Tim Tebow. He'd be a godsend to ratings in Jacksonville, but they won't touch him anymore. Denver had a great team around him, and they got rid of him as soon as possible. Every franchise has passed on him even being a backup. Are they all idiots? Haters? No, they understand the main points of the original post: He has limited skills to fit a pro-style offense, and he polarizes fan bases.

Look at how angry and defensive you get about him. He comes with an entire devoted following that loves him for him, not for how he fits into Atlanta's existing scheme. Tim Tebow is a far, far more moral person than Vick, but he does inspire the same kind of faithful adherence; that didn't work out well in Atlanta. Want a role model? Tim Tebow. Want someone to call someone else and express genuine care and sympathy? Everything about Tebow says he's your guy. But if you want to even try to win with Tebow, he's, again, got to be your guy. Look at what happened to Orton in Denver. Ryan's far better, but no common sense or reasoning can touch the faith that Tebow inspires in others, and, unfortunately, that often leads to overly passionate arguments. Your single NFL stat support is a game in which he went 9-20 until he threw a pass to a first-round talent over the top of PIT's backup safety.

I do think that there's an understandable argument to include Tebow on the Flacons: He has a better resume than, say, D. Davis. However, several posters--and all 32 NFL teams--disagree with you. There's something to that.

That entire argument, though, is secondary to the purposeless, hateful commentary you posted about Jeff Garcia. I never liked him as a football player and certainly never wanted him to be on Atlanta, but your description is uncalled for. I am sorry something made you so mad and got you to post that, but you need to internalize that or vent it around someone you respect enough to listen to when they tell you to hush. I am NOT saying "Shut up!" Fun. I am saying think about what you are publishing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:44 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

hilarious. where to start?

BB's 'Good buddy"

FGs liking of Tebowie only confirms his horribleness. He simply has shown nothing to say that he is an NFL QB -

yeah, except for that whole playoff win, Pops. And the two contracts he got. First round pick. He really makes you mad, huh? Im lovin it. :lol: Eat some more Wheaties and enjoy the 'Fail'. :lol: :rofl:

"The Jeff Garcia comment makes you look petty and small, dude. Rise above that. Argue for Tebow's strengths, but to churn out that ad hominem attack on Garcia is highly inappropriate. In all seriousness, what would Tebow do? Not that."

Note I said "I am not Tebow?" f*** Garcia. He decided to wade in the water, don't bitch if it's full of Gators. Tim Tebow might be going to 'heaven' I wont. Lil Jeffy will be down there too, only in a different 'section'. Why should 'I ' rise above and not Jeffy Jeff-Jeff? Until he decides to not air on opinion, then I will not as well. :snooty:

"Look at how angry and defensive you get about him". and here we go. I called it. I am being 'defensive' because a multiple winning college player with a Hiesmann AND a playoff win against the Steelers is getting dissed? The strawman begins. All I have done is point out what he has DONE. he wont be a good 'backup'. we dont need that. we need a guy who can do other things. I though I mentioned that? Oh yea, when someone heard Tebow or Jeebus, then that gets ignored. But let me point out Jeff Garcia smokes more poles then the Soviet Union ( forgiveness Wease, I know it's been a rough time with Hugo dying and lil Kim goin batty) , suddenly I am 'politically incorrect'. :roll: Forgive me. 8-)

"but if you take Matt Ryan out of the Falcons offense and substitute Tebow in, then Roddy, Julio, and Tony probaly all become 50% less effective, if not more."

by all means, it's D Davis time. Really. :roll: Again, I heard all this crap before the Steelers game which:

"
When you oversimplify it i.e. he threw for 300+ yards against the Steelers in the playoffs, yeah it looks awesome. But when you really break down Tebow's success, it's not as great as it may appear and it's not quite applicable to most NFL teams."

and there you have it.

game

set

match

okay MensaFolk. The only guy we have backing up Matty is Davis. WHO is your 3rd QB? I;ve given mine: draft and Tebow. Step up or shut up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:35 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Bruce Pickens was the 3d pick in the draft and has a playoff win. Need I say more? :dance:

Tebowie was a good college QB. The league history is littered with good college QBs who could not play the next level. Remember Klingler, Akili Smith, Danny Wuerfell, Heath Schuler, any Detmer, and who can forget JaMarcus Russell and all those Super Bowls won by Ryan Leaf. :snooty:

When you develop a track record of being right,at least occasionally, I will buy the attitude; but for now, you are just a low rent Birdman.... :up:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:30 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm surprised that you didn't put Andre Ware and Joey Harrington on that list. Both Heisman winners that just couldn't do much of anything in the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:03 am 

Who's the 3rd QB? Well the obvious choice is Trent Edwards, who played under Koetter for a season in J-ville prior to going to the Eagles last year.

Tyler Thigpen, Vince Young, and Troy Smith all are athletic QBs that have better passing abilities than Tebow. So if you're insistent that the Falcons get an athlete, then Tebow is not the obvious choice.

A.J. Feeley, Matt Leinart, Byron Leftwich, and John Beck are also available guys that have started some games in the NFL, and can be at least as good as Luke McCown.

The Falcons could say swap their late 6th round pick (198th) in exchange for the Chiefs early 7th round pick (207th) for say Ricky Stanzi who Andy Reid doesn't appear to have much confidence in. They could make similar moves for Pat Devlin, Greg McElroy, etc. They could deal higher picks for Nick Foles or Ryan Mallett, both of whom their respective teams might be willing to part with. They could draft a project late in the draft like Jeff Tuel, Ryan Griffin, Sean Renfree, Landry Jones, Jordan Rodgers, or Collin Klein.

Look, had they just signed David Garrard in January, we wouldn't be having this conversation. :ninja:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:19 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

"Bruce Pickens was the 3d pick in the draft and has a playoff win. Need I say more?"

yes, you should. You left out the part where Pickens was a CB, not a QB. Fail#2. :dance:

"The league history is littered with good college QBs who could not play the next level."

Except Tebow actually did play at the next level. And none of those other guys got a playoff WIN. Fail#3!

Thanks for playing!

"A.J. Feeley, Matt Leinart, Byron Leftwich, and John Beck are also available guys that have started some games in the NFL, and can be at least as good as Luke McCown."

good grief. Byron Leftwich>Tebow?

Now trading for Foles would be ideal. But I wouldn't part with anything more then a 5th, and Foles wont go for that. So it looks like a late round project in the draft. I just am not sure if that is the best idea.

Look, I know it aint 'gonna' happen. But its not 'that' crazy. Some people ( Wease) just dont like the guy because of his politics. I already explained why that happens. I really could care less about his religion or politics. At this point I wouldn't care if he was a Scientologist as long as our backup QB can do one or two things: keep us in contention, or be entertaining.

Ill make a wager. There's no way this guy doesn't find a roster spot somewhere in the league. If a guy with his talents is basically run out of the NFL because of his religion, that would be a very sad day. And I say this as a Dawg Fan (married into it) who paid to watch Tebow destroy my Alma Mater (U.C.) in the Sugar Bowl. :ninja:

Last edited by fun gus on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
I'm surprised that you didn't put Andre Ware and Joey Harrington on that list. Both Heisman winners that just couldn't do much of anything in the NFL.

there are plenty of Hiesmann winners that didnt pan out, but how many of them won a playoff game, then was out of the league 2 years later?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 am 
Superstar
Superstar

First, I know of know "wins" stat that apply to QBs. Aren't there 52 other guys on the roster each game? They don't get the "win" stat?

To show how worthless the QB win stat, look at the Raiders and Cardinals game last year, only the small would say that Ryan "won" those games.

Your "fails" are just impotent attempts to show some form of superiority.

I am not sure what "politics" you are talking about. I don't know or care what his political affiliation is. If you are trying to not use the word "religion" then you are just too cowardly to say what you really mean. I would not care if he worshiped the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Xenu, or was Muslim, Jewish (not sure why we add the -ish only to that religion, OK "Amish" but they aren't "Am"s) Buddhist, or prayed to the lint in my dryer. Just weak. :beef:

If you think he will be "run out of the NFL" because of his religion" you simply have no idea how it works. He is what the NFL LOVES. He is a guy that will always "protect the shield." If Osama bin Laden ran a 4.2 40, Al Davis would have drafted him. Look at the police blotter that is the Bengals, if that doesn't show that anyone can get a second or third chance (or fifth or Sixth). If the reports are true, Honey Badger will get a chance after at LEAST 10 failed UAs. As far as any prejudice against Christians, what do you think all the players are doing in the middle of the field at the end of the game? Shooting craps? :roll:

If by "politics" you really mean the circus he brings to the team, that is the wrong term. "Distraction" is the better term. On that point, you are correct. Bringing in a nice guy who has no position in the NFL that has no upside and only brings the distraction, I say pass.

He is a great athlete, but the league history is littered with the failed great athlete. He is an inspiring character to those that look for that, but that does not make him a NFL football talent. He simply isn't.

W

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:12 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Going to the REAL issue here, back up QB. We are certainly in a pickle. The current available crop is less than inspiring. The less awful guys that were on the market were too expensive as far as a cap hit.

Maybe Davis, but I would not hold my breath. Dreamboat is not really an answer to bring back. It seems that backup QB is not a high priority for Vegan Jesus or Smith. While I am sure that they would love to have a high quality guy, balancing what is available and cap hit, they would rather spend their money elsewhere.

Hope appears to be the preferred course of action and they hope that Ryan doesn't get hurt or if hurt isn't out too long.

W

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:14 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Wease wrote:
Going to the REAL issue here, back up QB. We are certainly in a pickle. The current available crop is less than inspiring. The less awful guys that were on the market were too expensive as far as a cap hit.

which is why I argue that rather then trade up to get Foles, sign a Byron Sh*tsandwich, or draft a late round 'prospect', we should instead sign a position player that 'can' play QB if Ryan AND Davis goes down, but could also contribute otherwise..I listed a WR/QB guy in another thread, and I gave examples of NFL teams that only carry 2 QB's and use a hybrid third QB. Now Tebow definitely meets this criteria, but due to 'distractions' :roll: he's not going to get a chance. I disgree that he does not have the 'talents' to play in the NFL, and was 'stealing $$' from the two franchises.

In fact, with a little technique help he could be a competant backup, at least as good if not better then D Davis. But since that is not an option, I would go with a 3rd QB/WR-CB-KR. there are a couple guys out there we could snag in the later rounds. :ninja:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:up: On the picture LOL. Very good. :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:04 pm 

I agree with fun gus on Tebow himself. I wrote just as much nearly 2 weeks ago: http://falcfans.com/takeaways-from-last ... ril-8-7435

But Wease is also right, that the reason he's going to get run out of the league is because of the perceived distraction he creates because he is very polarizing figure for a lot of people. I personally have an affinity for the guy, but for every one of me there is someone else that loathes him.

And where I also disagree is the idea that Tebow would work here. Because again, when you simply just look at his 8-5 record as a starter, you think he would make a solid backup. But you have to look at how he gained that 8-5 record. And his style of play does not match the Falcons style of play.

And that's why despite my liking of Tebow he doesn't work here. Look, I think the other QBs all stink. Trent Edwards is the best but not the ideal candidate. IMO, that would have been David Garrard. But unfortunately the Falcons were unwilling or unable to fork up $1.2 million (he signed with Jets for $1.1 million).

If Ryan stays healthy, then it's not an issue. And there's a good possibility that Ryan will stay healthy. But I don't think Davis is ready to be a competent NFL starter this year if need be, especially given that our schedule is probably not going ot be as easy this year. 1 or 2 games missed by Ryan could mean the difference between a home or away game in the playoffs, or dare I say making/missing the playoffs altogether.

I would just hate to see the Falcons get into a 2004 situation where they have to make a substantial move at the No. 2 spot (as they did by trying to trade for Brees but ultimately drafting Schaub that year) because they had to find out the hard way that their backup QBs stunk. At least in 2004, we could claim ignorance because nobody thought Doug Johnson/Kurt Kittner would be as bad as they were. Maybe Davis doesn't go down that path, but is that a worthwhile risk just so you can save $700,000 against the cap?

Profile E-mail