It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons interested in Revis?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:58 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1280612

NY Jets have teams interested in Darrelle Revis trade; San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons on hook as source says star cornerback is 'gone'
The timetable for trading one of the best players in franchise history is not set, but a lack of urgency on Idzik’s part could backfire on the Jets — some, if not all, of the serious suitors willing to take the risk now may fill their cornerback needs via free agency.

Comments (1)
BY MANISH MEHTA / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 6, 2013, 1:56 AM

Print

RON ANTONELLI/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Darrelle Revis is already looking back at Jets and toward new teams so Gang Green has decided it’s to move on from the disgruntled cornerback.
TAKEOUR POLL
What should the Jets do with Darrelle Revis?

Pay him! He's the best player on the team

Trade him, you can get a lot to build with

Let him play out his contract, then decide

Move him to QB, that's what they really need!

Two or three “legitimate buyers” are prepared to make a trade for perennial Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis when free agency and the trading period begin on March 12, the Daily News has learned.

The NFC champion 49ers, who will have 12 tradeable picks in next month’s draft and a glaring need for a top cornerback, are interested in trading for Revis sooner rather than later, according to sources. The Falcons, who lost to the 49ers in the NFC Championship Game, are also considered a team that could emerge as a player in the Revis sweepstakes.

By acting now, new GM John Idzik could jolt the NFL landscape in the coming days and reshape the future of the wayward franchise before an already select market for Revis shrinks.

But it appears to be only a matter of time before the Jets part ways with their most valuable asset.

“He’s gone,” a source familiar with the situation said Tuesday. “This is happening. They’re moving him. They can’t keep him. They’re rebuilding. They’re starting fresh.”

The timetable for trading one of the best players in franchise history is not set, but a lack of urgency on Idzik’s part could backfire on the Jets — some, if not all, of the serious suitors willing to take the risk now may fill their cornerback needs via free agency.

Sources told The News that a few shoppers for the cornerback have already made it clear that they are willing to dole out draft choices and set the parameters for a long-term deal with the Revis camp to get arguably the best defensive player in the NFL.

WINSLOW TOWNSON/AP

Revis is likely waving goodbye to Jets fans permanently.

According to sources, owner Woody Johnson has told the Jets’ brain trust that it should move on from Revis, who is a little more than four months removed from season-ending knee surgery and is expected to command a new multi-year deal ranging anywhere from $12 million to $16 million per season.

One source said that Johnson never had any intention of giving Revis a long-term deal after his acrimonious 36-day holdout resulted in a “Band-Aid” deal — four years for $46 million — before the 2010 season.

However, sources told The News they believe Revis’ maximum trade value would not be reached just before the April 25 draft; they think the window opens Tuesday when teams begin signing free agents. There simply aren’t enough legitimate buyers comfortable with giving up enough draft choice compensation for a player coming off an ACL injury.

The biggest obstacle is Idzik’s reluctance to pull the trigger on a trade until closer to the draft next month — or even later this summer — to allow Revis more time to prove he is healthy and to maximize his trade value, according to sources.

RELATED: LUPICA: IT'S TIME TO PLAY JETS MAKE A DEAL FOR REVIS

Sean Smith, Aqib Talib, Brent Grimes, Chris Houston and Keenan Lewis are some of the top unrestricted free agent cornerbacks. The Buccaneers, Eagles, Chiefs and Lions are teams in need of a top corner.

However, the market for Revis, who is due a $1 million roster bonus a few days after the start of the new league year on March 12, is relatively small, given the unusual circumstances.

If the Jets wait until closer to the draft to trade Revis, they may not be able to move him due to the dearth of teams that have the resources to make it happen.

Idzik won’t be able to begin the rebuilding process through the draft until 2014 if he deals Revis this summer.
Sources familiar with the situation were adamant that the serious market for Revis would shrink by late summer, a nightmarish scenario for the Jets, who could end up being stuck with Revis during a rebuilding season.

The Jets’ parting gifts for letting Revis walk as an unrestricted free agent (he can’t be given the franchise tag per terms of his contract) after the 2013 season are 1) a likely third-round compensatory pick in the 2014 draft and 2) a $9 million cap hit in 2014 due to the current structure of his contract that includes three voidable years.
The Jets don’t have time on their side.

“I’d be shocked if Revis plays for the Jets this year,” a person familiar with the situation said. “If he plays for the Jets this year, (Idzik’s) going to be fired in three years, because he will have messed it up.”

Revis appears to open to relocating, too. He told “Real Rob Report,” an Internet show, this week that it would be “awesome” to play for the 49ers and that Idzik “is trying to clean house to get some great players in here” because “it’s a rebuilding mode for us to get the right pieces to the puzzle.”

“Revis Island will be back on the field soon,” the shutdown cornerback said. “I don’t know. We’ll see where the future leads to... if I’ll be back with the Jets or not. It really doesn’t matter. I just want to play football.”

It’s looking more and more like it won’t be with the Jets.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z2MlBX02wB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Falcons interested in Revis?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

If they go after Revis, it means Grime-time is officially 'over'. Right? Cant keep 'em, both...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:01 pm 

Yes, it would mean that. But since they're not going after Revis, it means Grime Time continues for at least a year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:25 pm 

If Atlanta can get a really good deal on trade it would be interesting... Not sure that the price tag he will come with will be worth it though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:01 pm 
Starter
Starter

I can't imagine we are really going to do this. Don't get me wrong, on some level it would be awesome to have Revis, but wouldn't this just kill our cap space for the coming years? It seems like with Revis' new contract, Ryan's contract,as well as a new deal for Julio, the rest of our team would be consist of water and towel boys. Also, what would the trade compensation be? First and second? First and third? Seems like a lot to me. Sign me up for some Grimes, assuming he's healthy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I just don't see how we could make this work, or why we would try... The Falcons need to be focusing on the front 7.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

A pass rush can carry a defense to success, big time cornerbacks cannot. Improve front seven, please forget Revis.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:06 pm 

Emmitt wrote:
A pass rush can carry a defense to success, big time cornerbacks cannot. Improve front seven, please forget Revis.

Clearly, you haven't watched the Jets the past 4 seasons.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:37 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Emmitt wrote:

Was his knee blown out those 4 seasons? 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

UPDATE: The Falcons have followed the Niners in backing away from rumors that they are interested in acquiring Darelle Revis, according to ESPN's Ed Werder. "Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff tells me team's offseason emphasis on signing own players, downplays potential trade for Darrelle Revis," Werder tweeted.
about 8 hours ago | Tom Carpenter | NFL Rumors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:00 am 

Now they're saying 1st and a conditional pick next year as high as a #2.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... atl_hanzus

Now, I believe in the past I've made my feelings known about the possibility of getting Revis. I would certainly kick the tires on him and think about giving up our #1 for him.

But the simple reality is that giving up our #1 is all I'd be willing to give up. And it's doubtful that the Jets accept such a price, unless they get desperate. And IMO, that's not likely to happen until close to the trade deadline.

But the Falcons interest in Revis would be completely different than what this organization does. It'd be different if Revis was 100% and coming off a Pro Bowl year. But he's coming off an ACL injury, which isn't a big deal but it causes you to be cautious. You don't want to give up a #1 for damaged goods.

Thus why I don't see a team trading for him between now and the draft. I think what happens is that this media-blowout dies down in the coming months. Then you probably get holdout in the summer, but eventually he shows up and gets on the field and does OK. Then if the Jets get off to a slow start, and you have a CB-needy playoff team that hasn't already invested a #1 or #2 in a rookie CB, might trade for him in October to push them over the top, and then try to deal with the contract situation after the season. And by then, since the Jets backs will be against the wall, they might be willing to settle for just a #1.

IMO, that's the only real scenario that I could see TD doing. And assuming the Falcons are picking after #20, you'd probably be comfortable taking on a 28-year old Revis with a healthy knee for like $75 million. He'll be the same age at that point as Charles Woodson when the Raiders traded him to the Packers and he had a highly productive 6 years in Wisconsin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:05 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Emmitt wrote:

Yeah the Jets secondary carried them to what a few AFC conference championships? The Giants pass rush carried them to what two Super Bowls? Don't be so narrow minded when you know damn well a pass rush is far more valuable than star cornerbacks.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:07 am 

But why did the Giants pass rush carry them to a Super Bowl and Jets not? Don't you think that had more to do with the play of their respective quarterbacks, as opposed to the idea that a secondary can't anchor a good defense?

I would agree that in the case of the Falcons, that improving the pass rush is the bigger priority. But don't sleep on coverage. Having a good secondary, especially one that can generate turnovers is highly valuable. Sacks/pressure may be more valuable.

But the one thing you should realize is that just because pass rush is more important and a bigger need, doesn't mean that you should ignore the secondary/coverage. Look, here's how you slice it. The Falcons defense is a work in progress. Even if the Falcons do a good job in FA/draft, it's going to take MULTIPLE YEARS to improve the defense to a level where it's a top-notch defense.

At some point in the future, the Falcons are going to have to invest in the cornerback position. Samuel has 2 more years left, and McClain may be a decent replacement, but I wouldn't exactly be expecting him to become the next Brent Grimes/Richard Sherman. Owens, Franks, etc. are just backups.

Will the Falcons find the equivalent of Revis as a pass rusher this off-season? Maybe, but in all likelihood the answer is no. So if you know that CB is going to be a priority at some point in the next 2 years, and you know that if the Revis trade works out you probably get 4-6 good years from him, and you don't see that dynamic pass rusher that is going to put a huge dent in your pass rush woes, why not trade for him?

This is the problem that most people have with the off-season IMO. They become very short-sighted. They look at the 2 or 3 primary needs and never beyond that.

Revis alone isn't going to solve all of the defenses problems. But think about this? Did John Abraham when we traded for him? No. The Falcons are probably 3 big-time playmakers away from being a really good defense: edge rusher, interior disruptor, and a No. 1 cover corner. My point being is that Abe didn't fix the defense from 2006 to 2012 because he's just 1 of 11 aspects. So the idea that somehow if the Falcons were to even get a pass rusher of comparable skill this off-season, then it's not like suddenly all of the Falcons problems are solved.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
I would agree that in the case of the Falcons, that improving the pass rush is the bigger priority. But don't sleep on coverage. Having a good secondary, especially one that can generate turnovers is highly valuable. Sacks/pressure may be more valuable.

Pudge, I don't get the impression that the Falcons are sleeping on coverage. We have continued to draft/obtain CB's. We obviously were not content with Dunta and Grimes, so we got Samuel and brought in some youngsters as well. McClain might pan out. I wouldn't be surprised if we bring in more DB's this year. That said, if we're going to expend significant resources, we should be addressing the front 7 with those resources.

Last edited by RobertAP on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I love these crazy offseason fantasy threads, Revis would be ours if we give up a 4th rounder and nothing more, and then only if he asks for a contract in the 8 million dollar a year area does it make sense. There's a better chance of me having a growth spurt and becoming the next 7 foot tall center of the lakers, then leading them to the title, then me having sex with more women than Wilt the stilt, but of course this idea has never gone through my head before, alas I'm not sure why I'm typing about it now.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:06 am 

RobertAP wrote:
Pudge, I don't get the impression that the Falcons are sleeping on coverage. We have continued to draft/obtain CB's. We obviously were not content with Dunta and Grimes, so we got Samuel and brought in some youngsters as well. McClain might pan out. I wouldn't be surprised if we bring in more DB's this year. That said, if we're going to expend significant resources, we should be addressing the front 7 with those resources.

I wasn't suggesting that the Falcons were sleeping on the coverage. I was only merely trying to educate young Emmitt that Revis' success in New York proves that being good in the back end is can "carry a defense to success." Even Seattle. Sure, misisng Chris Clemons cost them the playoff game, and would have no problem if somebody argued he was their most valuable player. But if he was, then Richard Sherman and their secondary were very close 2nd. And if Clemons had played, but Sherman missed the game and instead Jeremy Lane had started instead, I think one could argue that the game would have been more lopsided in the Falcons favor.

And for the record, I don't think the Falcons have moved on past Grimes. But we shall see. WE should have an answer in the next 24-120 hours.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I edited my post with your, "sleeping on coverage," quote.

I know that Grimes isn't gone yet, but Miko is delusional, and she might have Grimes' head in the clouds.