It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: weird question..
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:59 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

so, around 1:15pm today I was cruising up 85 past the airport, and imagine my shock at seeing this bad boy landing. It was this plane: I am absolutely certain.

my question is why? Why use the team charter in the offseason? I mean if you need to shuttle scouts and personell around, wouldn't it make more sense to charter a smaller plane or go first class commercial? :shock:

Post subject: Re: weird question..
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Maybe they have sent everyone down here to recruit Gonzo?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:37 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Maybe the airline that owns the plane uses it for other things during the off-season. Would seem kinda silly to park an airplane for 8 months a year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
Maybe the airline that owns the plane uses it for other things during the off-season. Would seem kinda silly to park an airplane for 8 months a year.

or maybe maintenance? it would seem odd to use a plane with a giant Eagle head on it for running errands.. :?:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:34 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

RobertAP wrote:

Yeah, the more I think of it, the more that sounds right. I know if you let a car sit for 8 months, the chances it starts up are about -20%. Considering a jet airplane is probably a bit more advanced set of machinery, I imagine it's a risk that is not worth taking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:27 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge wrote:
RobertAP wrote:

Yeah, the more I think of it, the more that sounds right. I know if you let a car sit for 8 months, the chances it starts up are about -20%. Considering a jet airplane is probably a bit more advanced set of machinery, I imagine it's a risk that is not worth taking.

Come on! What's the worst thing that happens? Michael Vick and the entire Eagles org die in a massive fireball. Is that so bad?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
RobertAP wrote:

but the liability alone is crazy. I get 'maintenance; but these things are flight recorded for a certain amount of flight 'hours'. You dont fly a thing like this into ATL to keep her 'purring', IMO

Might be totally off base :ninja:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The destination isn't important. They keep the planes flying for two reasons, one is the reason Pudge cited, if you let the plane sit, then it is going to fall into a state of disrepair. The second reason, because the plane will make more money in the air than it will on the ground. This is the same principle behind the Georgia Dome. It would be pretty stupid to let that huge building do nothing for 8 months out of the year. Instead, they have other events there that have absolutely nothing to do with football. The Falcons Logo is still plastered all over the place, but the dome is used for other purposes.