It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jarvis Jones and Greene
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:31 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Citing a league source, Profootballtalk.com reports Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones' neck injury (spinal stenosis) is causing "multiple teams" to shy away from him, particularly in round one.
PFT reports Jones is being removed from draft boards, ostensibly after Combine medical exams confirmed the stenosis. Jones received a clean bill of health at Georgia and dominated the SEC, but he's opted out of Combine drills and "multiple teams" have "already decided to avoid him." We witnessed a similar situation in the 2011 draft. Widely expected to be a top-ten pick, Da'Quan Bowers slipped all the way to Bucs' second-round selection (No. 51).

there is talk on the 'Roost of packaging our 1st, a 2nd and ask for a 5th back in return and trying to get this guy if he 'falls'...Im not sure if he's worth 'all that'. Thoughts?

also:

This offseason, the Denver Broncos reportedly are in the market for a tailback with size this offseason. The Atlanta Falcons need a power back to replace Michael Turner, who is expected to be a salary-cap casualty with a $6.9 million pay day on the horizon.

"Spies" at the NFL Scouting Combine tell ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini that impending free agent Shonn Greene is expected to draw interest from both clubs next month.

Despite a 2012 season that looks underwhelming on the surface, Greene has been generating some "buzz" at the combine. A closer look reveals that Greene finished in the top 15 among NFL backs in attempts, rushing yards and rushing touchdowns while splitting carries with Bilal Powell in the second half of the season.

Although Greene managed a paltry per-carry average of 3.9, that number jumped to 4.23 with an average of 88 scrimmage yards per game from Week 6 to the end of the season. His 2012 game film is noticeably better than Turner's.

With much-publicized cap woes and a new direction on offense, the Jets are closing the books on the Greene era. He'll be taking his "ground and pound" talents to a new city, perhaps with a Super Bowl contender like the Broncos or Falcons.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Post subject: Re: Jarvis Jones and Greene
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:33 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Jones is gonna be interesting because he's a Top 10 talent that probably won't go until the Bottom 15 because of his injury issues. The question becomes how far he drops. I don't think it's going to be a DaQuan Bowers situation where he falls out of Round 1, but I think he could go in the 20s.

As for Greene, it goes back to my statements that the goal shouldn't be to get a better RB than Turner. That is not particularly hard. The Falcons can draft someone in the 4th round that will be a better RB than Turner. The goal should be to get a GOOD running back, somebody with the ability and upside to be a feature back that can play every down. That is not Greene. He's a player that is at best a poor man's Turner, referring to the Turner of yesteryear. The guy was inconsistent with the Jets and was often outplayed by Bilal Powell. I like Powell, who is a solid player, but he's not a lead back in the NFL. He's a complementary 8-10 carry guy at best. That's basically what Greene is.

If this is what the Falcons have planned at RB, then Thomas Dimitroff is really bad at this whole running back assessment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Just say no to Greene. That is all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:34 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Jones is gonna be interesting because he's a Top 10 talent that probably won't go until the Bottom 15 because of his injury issues. The question becomes how far he drops. I don't think it's going to be a DaQuan Bowers situation where he falls out of Round 1, but I think he could go in the 20s.

As for Greene, it goes back to my statements that the goal shouldn't be to get a better RB than Turner. That is not particularly hard. The Falcons can draft someone in the 4th round that will be a better RB than Turner. The goal should be to get a GOOD running back, somebody with the ability and upside to be a feature back that can play every down. That is not Greene. He's a player that is at best a poor man's Turner, referring to the Turner of yesteryear. The guy was inconsistent with the Jets and was often outplayed by Bilal Powell. I like Powell, who is a solid player, but he's not a lead back in the NFL. He's a complementary 8-10 carry guy at best. That's basically what Greene is.

If this is what the Falcons have planned at RB, then Thomas Dimitroff is really bad at this whole running back assessment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6KMEpG6ZEw

Im not so sure, Pudge. If Greene could come in under 4 million ( and I think we could actually get him for a one year 'make good' contract around 2.5-3) I might say pick this guy up, dump Antoine Smith and get a RB in the 5th.... I think Greene gets a bad rap because he came from a dysfunctional team with a sh*tty QB. This draft isn't partcularly RB-heavy..We need a guy who can grind out the short yardage, and if the price is right, it might not be the dumbest idea out there.... :ninja:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Greene gives you exactly what Turner gives you at this point in his career. Little to no recieving ability, no homerun ability but he is a liabilty in pass pro. You could sign your entire draft class for that 2-3 million.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:49 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

The Mattural wrote:
Greene gives you exactly what Turner gives you at this point in his career. Little to no recieving ability, no homerun ability but he is a liabilty in pass pro. You could sign your entire draft class for that 2-3 million.

I agree that Greene only replicates what Turner 'can' do. My point was, unless you are going to completely change the RB scheme, why not? If we 'need' a guy with receiving ability, we have Quizz, Snelling and 5th round pick guy. What we need is a guy who can gut out those short yards.

Unless you are going to go all out (say get Lacy) then Im saying it's not so cut and dry. If this guy is cheap enough why not? If he wants 5 mil, forget it. 3 mil? Maybe.....

If it's pass protection, that needs to be addressed on the OL, IMO. :ninja:

Pudge thinks Bradshaw>Greene. Maybe. Look at Bradshaw's injury history

http://www.kffl.com/player/16335/nfl/in ... d-bradshaw

vs Greene:

http://www.kffl.com/player/20785/nfl/in ... onn-greene

So, what I'm seeing here is we either go after Lacy with our first pick, or were left with a FA that's not that good, and comes with age and injury, or we roll the dice in the later rounds with guys Like Lattimore or Monty Ball or Christine Michael.

IMO, if we could get Greene for less around 3 mil on a make good deal, and draft a project like Ball or Micheal, we can then focus on where the most help is needed: OL and DE. :whistle:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

You've used up a 1st round pick AND at least $3 mil and THEN you'll focus on the main concerns? Erm, how about they draft a decent all-purpose back in the 3rd-5th round and call it a day? Too many "cog in the machine" runners are coming from the latter portion of the draft. They aren't going to make this guy anything resembling the focal point of the offense, so why use that many resources, ESPECIALLY on a guy like Greene, who only performed in a contract year?

It's supposedly a deep year at DE and multi-position OL, so why not take advantage of the relatively increased depth at ATL's late draft spot and pick up players who would go higher in most years?

Feel free to add some stats to this, but I'd say an impact 4-3 DE really needs to be taken in the first round, the second at worst. The other pick goes to BPA at a number of positions of need: OG, DT, OLB, CB, TE.

I'd really like to see TD avoid the reaches this year: None of them (Holmes, Hawley, Jackson, Ewing, etc; with the possible exception of Baker) have done much of anything. His hits have been on guys drafted at their expected point (Ryan, Lofton, 'Spoon, DeCoud, Jones) or who slid (Moore, Rodgers).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

There won't be a sure, "impact DE," available late in the 1st. There will be an impact TE, there will be some impact OL, an impact RB, and perhaps even an impact DT. But the, "impact DE's," will be long gone by the time we pick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:27 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1537 ... -prospects

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013DE.php

surely we could find SOMEONE to help rush the edge. and stop calling me Shirley :wink: