It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a dick move
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:45 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Not depressed enough on Superbowl Sunday? Ryan makes that read to Tony and I would be boarding a plane right now and would be spending tonight in Harrah's.

Image :cry:

Post subject: Re: a dick move
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I HATE YOU!

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:08 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Emmitt wrote:
I HATE YOU!

my apologies. :oops:

Last edited by fun gus on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:09 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

What that screen cap doesn't show is the safety that is right off screen at the goalline ready to jump that slant to Tony.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:11 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
What that screen cap doesn't show is the safety that is right off screen at the goalline ready to jump that slant to Tony.

:shock: You dont think Ryan gets that ball in there looking at that picture?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:18 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

The safety may have stopped Tony from scoring a TD, but he wasn't getting there in time to break up the pass.

Matt Ryan makes the right call, and its a first down at least.

Either way look at that image and out of every Red jersey out there, Roddy is the only one with 3 defenders around him.

The picture also shows Roddy being held (he was held the entire route, even after the ball was released.

I understand that within 5 yards, contact is allowed, but I dont think holding ever is.

Who knows if we would have scored if we got a first and 2 there, but it was not the right read. Douglas on the outside looks much more wide open than Roddy.

After watching the game, it shouldnt have came to that point in my opinion. We had our chances the entire second half and even though there were a bunch of calls I considered bad, 2 turnovers in the opponents field is never a good way to win a football game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:52 pm 

fun gus wrote:
You dont think Ryan gets that ball in there looking at that picture?

Maybe, maybe he doesn't. Maybe the safety comes down and delivers a hit that sandwiches Tony and the ball comes loose. But regardless, Ryan did not make the wrong read. He had Roddy White against Navorro Bowman in single coverage over the middle. Tony is being covered by a CB, and has a safety sitting and waiting.

Ryan wanted to go to Roddy because he knew he had a favorable matchup vs. a LB at the snap. Did he really look Tony's way? Not really. But even if he did, he would have seen the safety waiting to drive on the football. So what does he do? He pumps to get Willis out of the throwing lane and then delivers a catchable pass to Roddy White.

Here are 2 screen captures from behind Ryan, just before he releases the ball (throw2) and just afterwards (throw3).

The issue isn't that Ryan threw it to the wrong receiver. The issue is that the LB got away with a hold on Roddy White.

Now you can certainly say that if Ryan had Tony as his first progression and thrown it earlier than he did to Roddy, it could have been completed. But that is based off his pre-snap read. And his pre-snap read told him Roddy would be matched up against a LB. And Tony would be matched up against their best CB (Tarell Brown) and would likely have safety help over the top. Again, I have no problem whatsoever of Ryan throwing the ball to his best receiver going up against the 49ers 4th or 5th best cover guy in single coverage as opposed to his 2nd best receiver going up against their best and drawing double coverage.

My issue is the back judge who is standing in front of the goalpost should see that hold by Bowman and throw the flag, but he didn't. I'm not blaming the refs by any means, because they miss calls from time to time. And I certainly get the "let them play" mentality. Unfortunate for the Falcons that it happened when it did.

And AtlGraff07, if we don't have those 2 turnovers while driving on other series, we probably have at least another 3 points on the board at that point (if not 14), and instead of needing to convert on 4th down, Matt Bryant just needs to kick a FG to win the game. We were already in FG range when Ryan fumbled and needed about 5-10 more yards to be so when Ryan threw the INT.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:13 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DEf illuminating angles there, Pudge, but Roddy is blanked in all angles and TG at least has some separation. I had seen the shot FG showed and Tony looks impossibly open but I found it odd they did not target him on any of the four last plays as he is really the money guy. Roddy made some catches in that game and was targeted a lot but missed a couple as well. Don't get me wrong. I think RW is one great WR but he is a threat to drop a crucial pass he and there and TG is, by and large, money in the bank. I had also wondered if throwing lanes had anything to do with it but it looks like he had space. One good thing about this ending for old time fans is that it can supplant the game against Danny white and Cowboys and that 4th quarter collapse as the heart smasher. Still sort of makes one sick, huh?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:31 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

If you can muster the courage to watch the replay on the NFL network, you can see Tony clearly mouthing the words 'WIDE OPEN' right after this play.

Not kidding. Check it out.

Pudge, the 3rd shot you posted ( is that the ALL-22?) kinda shows Roddy being covered and big Ol TG still within his catching radius. I really think TG not only makes that catch, but gets in the endzone while crying unicorn tears of gold. At least, that's what Im going with right now :?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:27 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I saw Tony say " wide open " but he doesn't see everything either. However I believe
Tony easily gets the first down while Roddy is coming back to the ball, and I'm not sure
he even gets the first down with the catch.

On a Five yard pass over the middle I'll always like Tony G. best!! I think Ryan missed it
but his stupid non contact fumble, cost us points; and Frisco took that momentum and
got points.

It seems Ryan and Tony Romo make some strange mistakes in post season even while playing with good stats!!