It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yes We Can Win The Super Bowl
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

And as is everything worth having it would be hard......

Yes we have a good football team and our performance against the Giants yesterday is
the only way we a playoff game and a Super Bowl.

I. We must create our own turnovers!! I've always cut defensive backs slack when they drop an interception, because that's why their usually not receivers right (:
We need two of those a game or three. Just like the way we beat Denver our defensive backs must make the picks that are opportunities.

I really like this guy name "Hope" replacing Moore. He must have been really under the radar for some reason because i didn't know he'd been in the Pro Bowl a few years ago.

I'm also becoming A big Vance Walker Fan. No he's not as big as the Patriots "75" or
like Grady was, but I don't see him getting shoving around the middle much and he can get pressure on the Qb. I also love what they done with Beirmann letting him at times play like a blitzing linebacker. I think perhaps S. Nicholas is the most underrated player on our team. He plays well almost every Sunday !!

On Offense Ryan is at his best when he keeps throwing to a lot of targets. No TURN OVERS HERE; we are not good enough for multiple turnovers and win. I love finally getting the ball to Harry Douglass and Ryan hitting Julio ON THE LONG STRIKE. That's so important. I thought our rookie at guard played a lot better, and although I think he may have given up one sack, I'm starting to think Blalock is our best blocker.

Just keep Turner down to about 6 special plays for him and keep the screen to Rodgers goings; but know exactly what 15 running plays your going to run and that's enough. You never know on those short 3 and 6s they might even double Toney G.
so lets hope Roddy gets healthy to have all our weapons going.

I hope during the bye week Coach Smith keeps the hammer down on them. I hope he lets them know 3 stupid plays can lose them a game, and we somehow can game
plan for either Rogers or Frisco's Qb. We got to keep our lanes and work on taking the right angles against those Qbs who can also run. I'm sure the tape shows us chasing all of them!!

So to sum up our Falcons can not go out there and play an average game and win a playoff game. We need turnovers and third down conversions; and touchdowns. in the red zone We are not good enough to play anything but our best....and expect to win.

PS. is their a reason they keep Franks out there receiving punts?? He's been horrible all season what about Rogers, or Harry Douglas. Franks will hurt us really bad one day ..... He made one decent run in preseason and gave him the job??

Post subject: Re: Yes We Can Win The Super Bowl
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:46 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Cyril wrote:
PS. is their a reason they keep Franks out there receiving punts?? He's been horrible all season what about Rogers, or Harry Douglas. Franks will hurt us really bad one day ..... He made one decent run in preseason and gave him the job??

Rodgers has a tough time handling kickoffs. Douglas . . .? I guess they saw something that made them say that Franks was the lesser of two evils. To be fair, he hasn't had too much to work with. I wonder why he doesn't see duty on KOR as he really wants to see what's in front before he runs, and a KOR affords for a lot more of that than a punt.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

They signed Toone for a reason. I thought it was to put fear into Franks. He responded by having his best game returning punts the following week. But he's reverted back.

He's not terrible. But why are you keeping Toone on the roster, if he's going to be inactive every week?

The Falcons were forced to activate (and not play) Samuel 2 weeks ago because they were thin at DB. Yet, they have kept "useless" roster spots open for Toone and Harland Gunn that could have easily been used to bring back Terrence Johnson or another DB for depth's sake.

I don't want to be overly-critical given all the positivity this week, but it's stuff like this that makes me question whether the Falcons really take advantage of their roster usage.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I guess your only as good as your last win or loss. I was for the first time getting down
on Thomas D. but when I saw the play of Hope and heard he's made a probowl; I just
didn't remember it; or us getting him. DeCoud has really come on strong and if used right Beirmann is becoming more than JAG. With Owens and a few other draft picks
starting to come around and Matt Ryan. That pass he threw to Julio and also Douglas
was the exact amount of air to have under the ball; its what I was hoping from Ryan since day one; so I want to finally give him my respect!!

Rogers was a great draft choice for what he brings out of the backfield; and really just
remember how we've used the trade for Tony G.

Yes we can all always find mistakes from the Roster or Front office; but as I saying we're not good enough to play ok and win, we need to play excellent to win any playoff game or Super Bowl. If we play both games at homes I think we mentally think we win at home!! (Except Aaron Rogers (:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:05 pm 

I know it's nitpicking to most, but it's just that the Falcons find themselves in these situations, and there often are very easy fixes. Such as the Samuel situation. All you had to do was to make a simple roster move, and you wouldn't have had to be put in a predicament where you potentially exposed Samuel to further injury.

Again, my "beef" with TD isn't because I think he's a bad GM. I think he's a good GM. But I don't think he's the "exceptional genius" that people often portray him as, or at least he has not been in recent years. If he was that exceptional genius, then maybe he would have drafted Geno Atkins over Corey Peters, maybe we would have developed more of our practice squad talent in past years, maybe our O-line wouldn't be as bad as it is, maybe we would have more elite/top-level talent on the roster, etc.

It's just the "Curtis Lofton Argument." It wasn't that I thought Lofton was a bad player. He was a good player. But he was not the "lynchpin" on defense that he was often reputed to being. He was not one of the bright shining ascending stars at MLB. As you mention Cyril, Nicholas has been pretty solid this year. In fact, he's arguably been better than Lofton. But nobody out there would argue that Nicholas is one of the best LBs in the league, like they often did with Lofton. Nicholas is a role player. A pretty good one some weeks, but just a role player.

But unlike Lofton or Nicholas, Dimitroff doesn't have physical limitations on his ability. If the Falcons win a Super Bowl this year, then all my criticism is just bluster. If they don't, then I think the onus will be on TD to get us there. I believe we have the QB, and despite some misgivings, I believe we have the coach as well. IMO the only question mark in the Trinity is the GM. And it's not that I think he's incapable, I just think of the three he's the one that is not quite carrying his weight...as of today...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:49 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I don't know that I ever heard anyone say Loftin was one of the top LBs in the league. People--somewhere apparently--used to say that about Brooking but as a person that watched them both play a good bit I would say that neither was a top LB in the league though quite servicable. I think Spoon might be better than either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Spoon is one of the best around. He's a bit unheralded because he's an OLB in a 4-3 offense. He might be the best 4-3 OLB in the NFL right now. I'm certain that we can name others that are in the same class as Spoon, but I don't think that anyone is clearly better than he is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:27 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I think it was Loften's play against the run that was praised......The league changed over the years and I don't know if we've had a middle linebacker who was good against the pass?

Let me please make sure I make this clear; I've enjoyed having Thomas D. as our Gm
because what I had experienced was close to rotten especially if you count picking the Head Coach.

Genius, Hell No!! I don't even think I've met a genius; I thought Ted Turner was one, then he lost 9 Billion with AOL-Time Warner. A guy like Bill Parcells is very good but time
goes by and the game just seems to leave them behind after 10 years.

For GMs Bobby Beatherd was once considered a Genius for 3 Super Bowls with the Redskins and Joe Gibbs but went to San Deigo and most of the magic left.

Now that I'm use to Thomas D. I expect him to do good. However I'm not forgetting just because we beat the Giants, I don't think we can beat a running Qb, and we're a long ways from winning a playoff game.

I'm enjoying the win but a loss in the first playoff game this year won't surprise me because we'll be playing a good team so it will take an exceptional game from
us. things will Turn upside down if that happens; your just a play away from hero to zero (:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:48 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

QBs create geniuses. Cam Newton made the whole AU coaching staff millionaire geniuses and two years later I'd be surprised if Chizik ever gets a HC job again. Belichick was no genius in Cleveland. Folks in Indy looked pretty smart until Peyton hurt his neck. Orgs succeed because they get a million disparate things right or closer to right than the next guy. I knew a guy who was a genius. He said, "Everything counts!" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:19 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril, I know that it doesn't happen that often, but I'm in 100% agreement with you about running QBs. Nolan has put together a defensive scheme that is a frickin nightmare against the best passing QBs in the NFL. However, it seems to be completely useless against running QBs.

Cammy Newton isn't going to the playoffs. Neither is Michelle Vick. RGIII might get there... But I don't see any offense in the NFL matching up well with us unless they have a running QB.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:36 am 

backnblack wrote:
I don't know that I ever heard anyone say Loftin was one of the top LBs in the league.

People said it constantly back in 2008 and 2009. And it was only after I would jump on people around 2010 that they stopped saying not. But people probably didn't really stop believing it, just stopped saying it publicly or face the "Wrath of Pudge!"

RobertAP wrote:
Spoon is one of the best around. He's a bit unheralded because he's an OLB in a 4-3 offense. He might be the best 4-3 OLB in the NFL right now.

I would amend "right now" from that statement. That was certainly true last season, but he has not quite blossomed in Nolan's scheme. He has really only had a handful of games on the level of his "average" performances last year. A few early ones and this past week are about the only games where Spoon has really stood out this year. Now, he certainly was among the best in 2011, and may be so again in 2013.

RobertAP wrote:
Cammy Newton isn't going to the playoffs. Neither is Michelle Vick. RGIII might get there... But I don't see any offense in the NFL matching up well with us unless they have a running QB.

I got 2 words for you, both make athletic apparel/gear: Russell and Wilson.

The Seahawks will be the 3rd most difficult matchup for the Falcons after the 49ers and Packers come playoff time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yea I don't want to play Frisco's Qb either, and I was thinking of Rogers.

When we went to the Super Bowl we had No Chance against Randy Moss and Randell Cunningham; and we got a huge beak from their kicker who had not missed in a year.

In Other words you just gotta shock somebody and get lucky too, if your 17 or 10 point
underdogs. Even though it was about 15 years ago, if my old memory serves me BnB
went to the game, and brought us back a victory.

I mean a more humble person you'll never met than BnB. He gets on the Falcon sidelines; and actually plays in a band for real money & keeps his family together.
I'll get blasted for saying nice things about him (from him) but somebody got to give props to someone doing what he loves!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:23 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Thanks, Cyril...but you still have to pay me back that $20! :naughty:

I agree that we will have to get a little lucky...but so will everyone else. Better lucky than good I always say. I thought Roddy's public admission recently that there were certain teams they did not want to face was unusually--and maybe unnecessarily--candid. But if what he says is now true is actually true we could be OK. I kind of hate all that "man up" talk on forums regarding football games but it is true. You have to come out emotionally charged to win it all. It won't carry you by itself but you cannot just "operate your system." No team is that much better than the next to do that. I think the Vikes of 98 had that in mind and we got "lucky" right before the end of both halves and came out with a win. We had a puncher's chance and landed one. The NFL is so hard to figure week to week. I was thinking Sunday that the Pats were clearly the class of the league and then a guy in his third start at QB comes into their house and whips them. But the smart money still has to be on the QBs who have won it all before--Rodgers, Mannings, Brady.