PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:33 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_ ... or-falcons

Clinching scenarios for Falcons
November, 27, 2012
2:22 PM ET
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Every year about this time, the NFL starts sending out e-mails that detail scenarios for teams to clinch division titles and/or playoff berths.

The first came last week and it was very short, with only one scenario involving the Houston Texans. But this week’s e-mail just came and it had an NFC portion.

The Atlanta Falcons can clinch both a playoff spot and the NFC South title by the end of this weekend.

The 10-1 Falcons can clinch the NFC South title if they beat the New Orleans Saints on Thursday night and Tampa Bay either ties with or loses to Denver on Sunday. The Falcons also can clinch the division if they tie with New Orleans and Tampa Bay loses.

There also are two scenarios for the Falcons to clinch a playoff spot. The first would require an Atlanta win and a loss or tie by Seattle. The second would be if Atlanta ties with New Orleans, plus Seattle and Minnesota both lose.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Clinching scenarios for Falcons
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:40 pm 

Pat Yasinskas wrote:
The 10-1 Falcons can clinch the NFC South title if they beat the New Orleans Saints on Thursday night...

I stopped reading after this part. That's the only acceptable way that the Falcons can win the NFC South this year.

Any other method of winning the division is a FAILURE!!! They could clinch it the following week, run the table and finish the year 14-2.

FAIL!

But Pudge...

FAIL!

Be reasonable...

FAIL!

C'mon, now you're just being a jerk.

FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:48 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Um, yeah. I think we all get (and generally agree with) your perspective on what the franchise needs to do to show improvement. However, saying that the season is a fail if they don't beat NO in the regular season is a bit simplistic.

You don't strike me as a simplistic person, Senor Cute Stats; mind explaining your reasoning here?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:16 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If the Falcons beat the Giants, it will heal the pain a bit from getting swept by the Saints. Then again I hate those bastards!

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:33 pm 

The season will be a failure because if the Falcons cannot beat the Saints on Thursday, then we will know that this team will not win in January.

I know many will balk at that sentiment, but it's already written on the wall if that is the case. Tomorrow is essentially a playoff game. And if the Falcons can't win now despite all of their injuries, then they aren't going to win in 7 weeks when they have in all likelihood an even tougher opponent.

They are getting a 2nd chance at the Saints, when they have been at their weakest. They have no excuses this week, regardless of who is beat up. The Saints just got waxed by a physical 49er team, is going on the road on 4 days rest, and is the bully that is always rubbing dirt in the Falcons eyes, and taking their lunch money. If they can't "get up" enough to win Thursday night's game, why would you think they would be able to get up for a Week 19 game at home.

Yes, I know there are the eternal optimists out there. But just like last year, when the Falcons got waxed in Week 16 by the Saints, the results repeated themselves 2 weeks later against the Giants.

What occurs tomorrow night is exactly what you can expect will happen to the Falcons in Week 19 when they are at home with a bye in the playoffs. Mark my words...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Let's hope the Falcons just win so I don't have to look back on this post.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:21 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... -saints-13

ATLANTA -- Thoughts on the Atlanta Falcons’ 23-13 victory against the New Orleans Saints at the Georgia Dome on Thursday night:

What it means: For a change, the Falcons beat their biggest nemesis. For just the third time in the era of coach Mike Smith and quarterback Matt Ryan, Atlanta came away with a victory against the Saints. That puts the Falcons at 11-1 and keeps them in the lead for the No. 1 seed in the NFC. The loss drops the Saints to 5-7 and pretty much ends their chances of making it to the playoffs.

The streak is over: Drew Brees' streak of consecutive games with at least one touchdown pass came to an end at 54 games. Brees had a first-half touchdown to Darren Sproles called back by an offensive pass-interference penalty and Lance Moore also was unable to haul in what looked like a catchable pass in the end zone.

Not the night for QBs: Brees and Ryan are two of the best quarterbacks in the league, but they didn’t play like it in this one. Brees was intercepted five times and Ryan was unusually out of rhythm on a night when the Falcons didn't convert a first down until the fourth quarter.
Show of faith: I didn’t like Smith’s decision to attempt a 55-yard field goal, especially since kicker Matt Bryant had been a bit shaky in recent weeks. But Smith showed faith in his kicker and Bryant made the field goal to give the Falcons a 23-13 lead with 4:25 remaining.

Play of the night: Bryant’s kick might not have been possible if it hadn’t been for a huge play by John Abraham. With the Saints driving, Abraham sacked Brees with 10:30 left in the game to take the Saints out of field-goal position and force a punt.

Almost play of the night: Kroy Biermann hit Brees’ arm to force an interception by Jonathan Babineaux with 3:29 remaining to seal the win.

What’s next: The Saints travel to play the New York Giants on Dec. 9. The Saints play at Carolina on that same day. :?:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:01 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:
What occurs tomorrow night is exactly what you can expect will happen to the Falcons in Week 19 when they are at home with a bye in the playoffs. Mark my words...

Wow, so the D's gonna play that well in the playoffs? Sweet!

(poking the lion)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:09 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Pat Yasinskas wrote:
The 10-1 Falcons can clinch the NFC South title if they beat the New Orleans Saints on Thursday night...

I stopped reading after this part. That's the only acceptable way that the Falcons can win the NFC South this year.

Any other method of winning the division is a FAILURE!!! They could clinch it the following week, run the table and finish the year 14-2.

FAIL!

But Pudge...

FAIL!

Be reasonable...

FAIL!

C'mon, now you're just being a jerk.

FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!

WIN WIN WIN. YES YES YES

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:36 pm 

Stop poking me. :so:

But yes, I expect the defense to carry their weight come January. Well they have for the most part this year and last year given how average they are collectively. They consistently perform to their talent level.

The offense on the other hand...Well I guess they do when you consider the talent level of the O-line is below average and the RB is poor, which balances out whatever "greatness" their may be at QB, WR, and TE to make it a fairly middling unit.

Profile E-mail