It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the real depth problem
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:48 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Okay, enough about Jerious Jones and let's get to talking about where our depth is really piss poor.

After watching last nights game and some of this weekends games with backup QB's playing, who here thinks if Ryan goes down were set? Good grief that Colin Kaepernick looked like he is the real deal.

We already have OL 'issues'. Adderol Boy is now sidelined for 4 games. McClure is not 100%. We have 'crosstrained' guys playing out of position. None of this makes me very comfortable with our backups.

If I am Smitty, here's what I do.

I pull Dominique Davis off the scout team and I put McCown back there ( unless were playing against a team with a mobile QB and need Davis to shadow) and I start giving him all the 2nd team reps. I plug him into Ryan's hip on the sidelines and tell McCown to go tote some H20 bottles.

My thinking if Ryan goes down for any extended period of time ( lets say 2-3 games) were pretty much screwed anyways. Might as well see what DD can do.

If McCown goes in and struggles, I am telling you right now there WILL be a QB controversy. The ONLY way that doesn't happen, is if McCown comes in and does an okay job. I dont see that happening looking down the stretch, especially vs the tough part of the schedule and given the current division standings.

So be proactive and get Davis some 2nd team reps, now!

Post subject: Re: the real depth problem
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Ryan hasn't been hurt since 2009. What's the point of this thread?

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:26 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Emmitt wrote:
Ryan hasn't been hurt since 2009. What's the point of this thread?

The point, young Emmitt, is that it is better to be prepared when sh*t hits the fan then try and scramble.

Nobody 'wants' Matt Ryan to 'get hurt'. But, if it does happen, you better have a plan to deal with it.

As I see it, the plan right now is to hand off the duties to Like McCown. Okay, I hope that works out. But, if it does not: I Gay Ron Tee with a Capital 'T' there will be a QB controversy right here in our back yard.

Look at CB depth. Grimes goes out, Asante steps up. Asante goes out, McClain steps up.

Peria goes out, Corey Peters steps up. Peters goes out, up comes Walker.

See what I am getting at? But the 2 places where we could really get f*cked is IF Matt Ryan goes out, or Julio does.

If Ryan goes out, I have Dominique Davis ready to go. I know this will inspire the 'rearranging the Titanic deckchairs' chorus. But, it's prolly insance, you could rearrange those deckchairs so that they aren't in the waywhen you plummet to your icy death.. 8-)

There is plenty of film of Luke Mccown. Everyone in the league knows exactly what he 'can' and 'cannot' do. http://www.jagsreport.com/2011/09/jagua ... cord-book/

Both Luke AND John Mccown are throwaways. Im sorry, its just a fact. The thought of Like McCown behind center scare the livin bejjebus out of me. Honestly. Not to say Redman would have been any great improvement, but were stuck with what we have...

There is no or not very much film on DD. He is clearly more mobile and has the better arm. He is an untested rookie, I know and he may not be heady enough to get up to speed, but I think he is the better option. Thus, I would rearrange the depth chart and move DD to 2nd backup and get him some reps.

Kinda like, with Julio injured, Harry Douglas limpin around last week, I would have signed Plaxico TODAY for the vet minimum. Drew Davis is fine, but I would have Plaxico on the team and I would cut Antione Smith, or Mike Cox and use Snelling if we need a FB until Hawley comes off suspension.

But these are things you do if your looking down the road. :up: Hopefully everyone stays healthy and Im just being paranoid...wouldn't be the first time. :dance:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Our depth at Safety is super weak also. Signing Plax would have been the move to make as soon as Julio came up lame in the Saints game. We need a Vertical threat outside of Julio and until we get it we will pretty much be the same offense we were prior to JJ arrival here in Atlanta. Matter of fact you could argue that we are worst because at least we had M.Jenkins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:16 pm 

The real depth problem is that the Falcons have no depth...

No depth at QB, WR, TE, DE, S, CB, LB, O-Line in general, RB, FB.

Any start goes down and we have a significant drop in performance to the backup.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

If you think Davis is going to get ready by the end of this year, then you're sadly mistaken.

Kaepernick is in his 2nd year in that system, has played some this year, and was playing in front of a home crowd, has a good running game, and a dominant defense to back him up.

Davis has a good arm and mobile, that's where the comparisons end. Unless Kurt Warner comes out of retirement and is the Kurt Warner of old, the Falcons are screwed at the backup QB regardless.

The problem is the other 52 guys. While we do have some great individuals, collectively they are a mediocre bunch of games.

Our running game is so bad that if we have a game where 30%-35% of our runs are successful, it was a good/great day for us. For most other teams, their good days running the ball is when they have twice as much as success as that.

The mental aspect of the game is not anywhere close for Davis, and there's not a chance in hell it will come before this season is out. He's still very much a one read guy that when he's going up against real NFL defenses (not the 2nd/3rd string units he was facing in.

This offense without Matt Ryan is a joke. It functions on Ryan's ability to avoid pressure, get the ball out quickly, anticipate throws, throw with accuracy, etc. None of these are skillsets Davis possess, and these are skills that take relatively speaking a LONG TIME to develop in the NFL (like 3 or 4 years). The length of time it takes before a QB is able to process info quickly and thus do all of the things that a QB is supposed to do on a given play cannot be sped up.

Behind our line that can barely keep Ryan's uni clean, Davis would be dead in the water.

Not saying McCown is any better suited, but at least with his experience you know that he understands the system. He understands what he's supposed to do on a given play, whether he actually can pull it off, is the question. Davis isn't at that point, and will only be at the point when he's ready. No amount of practice reps is going to get him ready for that this year.

And if you bench McCown, then who is going to be the first guy to slap butts when guys come off the field towards the sideline? He is definitely a rah rah guy :lol: :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:38 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

<