It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Coach Smith's 'rules'
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:23 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

It's OK Pudge. I think I'd make a better FO and scheme/playcaller coach than the guys we have (and I like them). So anytime someone accuses you of that, just say, no that was takeitdown.

People overestimate the importance of being around something for 30 years. Good decisions and strategy are the same whether in banking, football, betting, or building a business.

Had we gone toward the offense you and I were pointing to the last 3 seasons, the Falcons would be better and with far more depth. I'm fine saying that makes the decisions the FO is making questionable. My offseason wanted Turner jettisoned, his and Ovie's money used to get a FA OG, and a legit 3rd WR, decent versatile RB, and 2nd TE picked up...so we're not trotting HD out as an outside receiver when Julio or Roddy are nicked. That was a better offseason plan. I think it's very close to the plan you had. It doesn't mean I'd be better each season (Dimitroff's first season was far better than the one I had, and that has made the difference) but it does point to this being less "elite thinkers" than most people think. Dimitroff is usually one step behind on personnel decisions...after they've really hurt...instead of one step ahead, taking steps to make sure if x goes wrong it doesn't cripple us because you've strengthened y to take care of that. Take a couple of good strategists who understand football (not just moneyball guys but strategists) and you'd have a whop ass Front office.

So it's me. I'm the arrogant bastard.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I wonder if Smitty has rules about throwing the challenge flag. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:17 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

My "beef" with TD is largely centered around my belief that the guy that is running the team now is not really the same that was running it before. And thus I don't give him the benefit of the doubt anymore, which I did for 2 years (2009 & 2010) and frankly until that Julio trade you can find many posts in that 2010 offseason where I was preaching in TD We Trust. But that Julio trade was such a sharp contrast to the things he had done before.

I think the good thing that is going for TD is that many of his early moves have masked his more recent bad moves. As discussed quite a bit on this board way back in 2007/2008 was the idea that with a top QB you're always going to be competitive. Favre, Marino, hell even Carson Palmer to a certain degree prove that.

And I think the lack of growth we've seen in this team over the past two seasons is evidence of this "switch." But I know that is also a point of contention with many, because I'm in the minority of people that don't think this 2012 team is really any better than the 2010 team overall. But I guess we really won't know the answer to that until January. But given how meh they've been against these teams that'll be picking in the top 10 next April, I think we already have a good idea what that answer will be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:02 am 
Superstar
Superstar

We aren't any better. The play calling is better, but the talent is not. Sure, we have Julio Jones now, but Turner, Gonzo, and Abraham are all, "past their prime." The lines aren't any better than they were in 2010. The QB might be better, but again, play calling... The lines are our curse... We haven't been able to significantly improve our lines in many years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:21 am 

This is why I have been critical of TD's drafting and signing the right free agents. There is no depth and not enough star potential players to make a run for the Super Bowl on a yearly basis. The offense has Ryan,JJ, with hopefully Konz becoming a pro bowler in the future but ouside those players who has star potential? The defense has Spoon and ABE that's it to play at pro bowl level. In 5 drafts TD has come up with

Ryan,JJ and hopefully Konz has long term pro bowl level players on offense. The defense has Spoon with pro bowl potential. Four players in 5 drafts not a good ratio of building a solid core. The rest of the players TD has acquired are average or slightly above.Ryan basically has saved TD's ass which we are reaping the benefits in the regular season.

TD needs to hit on more players in the draft simple as that. It's great TD chose Smith as the coach and found a QB but if we are going to get beyond settling for doing well in the regular season only to lose in the playoffs consistently then TD needs to do a better job. I applaud the fact he has taken the Falcons further than any GM has in their history over his time in Atlanta. Still its not saying much when we were used to having over 40 consecutive losing seasons back to back.It doesn't take alot to be better on what we had before in GM(Herock,Mckay,Reeves). The next step is to become a team capable of going the Super Bowl on a yearly basis We must have better play on the lines to take the next step.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:23 am 

Sorry takeitdown some how your post got integrated with mine and got deleted. :shock: :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:40 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

thescout wrote:
Sorry takeitdown some how your post got integrated with mine and got deleted. :shock: :cry:

Bastard. There is no way I can recreate that masterful work.

Was it the one where I was saying we have no developing talent at WR, RB, TE etc. to take over....so you can't miss out on both lines while simultaneously missing out on developing talent...as that means you got nothing done?

I do think if we had a legit 2nd TE developing, 3rd and 4th WRs who can develop into starters, and 2 backs who can develop into starters...then the OL woes aren't as bad, Julio going down doesn't affect you as much, and you can very easily devote all your resources to OL/DL. Instead, we have to try to get those developing players (as they're critically important) while adding to the lines. Basically, it all comes down to we have a good QB on offense. Most of the rest has needed solid 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round players and has received none.