Post subject: Re: Julio
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Injured in game...again.

WTG, Vegan Jesus. :down:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:31 pm 

Julio seems to be to brittle to last a full season. Again he goes out injured in the game. Another receiver is needed to be a threat for slot receiver. Harry Douglas just doesn't get it done in this offense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:38 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think JJ had a bit of an injury rep coming out of Bama but, of course, blew up 40 times with a broken bone in his foot. HD made a couple of big plays today but, yeah, he seems to be the Invisible Man much of the time. People are having a hard time giving the Cards defense any credit today. Considering JJ's injury, you really have to amrvel and appreciate how durable Roddy has been. Tough SOB.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:52 pm 

My worry is in the playoffs a good defense will slow Roddy down without anyone to pick up the offense if JJ is not 100%.We have no running game so it will be easy to slow the Falcon offense down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Harry stepped up today and that can't be denied. As for Julio being brittle, its too early to say that. Its only his 2nd year, give him to his 3rd season before making that judgement. Already jumping the gun on him is ridiculous.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

thescout wrote:
My worry is in the playoffs a good defense will slow Roddy down without anyone to pick up the offense if JJ is not 100%.We have no running game so it will be easy to slow the Falcon offense down.

What about that HOF tight end guy?

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:22 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

This was one of the main reasons it was clear the Falcons needed a legit outside receiver as their 3 or 4 in the offseason. It wouldn't hurt as much if a quality WR came in outside and HD stayed in the slot when Julio went out. (There were many of these guys for 2-3M in FA)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:47 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Emmitt wrote:
Harry stepped up today and that can't be denied. As for Julio being brittle, its too early to say that. Its only his 2nd year, give him to his 3rd season before making that judgement. Already jumping the gun on him is ridiculous.

Emmitt, I must respectfully disagree. We gave up 5 picks, man. 5 picks! For that kind of 'value' this 5 pick player needs to play 18 games a season. He can miss 'one' and it better not be postseason..2nd year, the guy is injured....again. This guy couldn't stay healthy in college..Julio Jones had surgery on left shoulder in January 2009, hernia surgery in spring 2009, suffered a broken left hand in October 2010, had a fractured left foot in February 2011 and injured hamstring in October 2011. this year, he has missed time 3 games already out of 10. One, our division rival. Already missed significant game time halfway through!!!! Do you have faith this guy can stay healthy? I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year...This year, not so much.

Jerious Norwood had skillz. But he could not stay healthy. Im not 'bashing' Julio. I am bashing the idiot that gave up 5 freekin picks to get him, and hung the entire offense on him. :naughty:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The idiot huh? The idiot that has made the franchise a worthy playoff team by drafting Matt Ryan after so many people wanted Glenn Dorsey. The idiot that didn't need a first round pick to gt two quality safeties. Also the idiot that was aggressive to get a game changer at tight end that was pretty off guard. How about the idiot for selecting one of the top outside linebackers in the game? Also the idiot that only gave up a 7th round pick to pick up a top corner, who's having a great year. Yeah an idiot, seriously its so sad how people don't take things for granted. This team was in the dumps and now has been picked up to be a winning team. Thomas Dimitroff will always be the man to me. Never associate the word idiot with a guy that has made countless great moves. He's had his botches with Jerry and Edwards, along with possibly too many picks for Julio but like I said, when Julio has 120 yard game in a Falcons playoff win all of you will be slobbering over everything.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:42 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Emmitt wrote:
The idiot huh? The idiot that has made the franchise a worthy playoff team by drafting Matt Ryan after so many people wanted Glenn Dorsey. The idiot that didn't need a first round pick to gt two quality safeties. Also the idiot that was aggressive to get a game changer at tight end that was pretty off guard. How about the idiot for selecting one of the top outside linebackers in the game? Also the idiot that only gave up a 7th round pick to pick up a top corner, who's having a great year. Yeah an idiot, seriously its so sad how people don't take things for granted. This team was in the dumps and now has been picked up to be a winning team. Thomas Dimitroff will always be the man to me. Never associate the word idiot with a guy that has made countless great moves. He's had his botches with Jerry and Edwards, along with possibly too many picks for Julio but like I said, when Julio has 120 yard game in a Falcons playoff win all of you will be slobbering over everything.

Fair enough. If Julio has a 100 yard game in the playoffs, I will happily eat crow.

But, if he cant make it at 100% for his 2nd season, and he misses the playoffs, or he cant perform due to reoccurring nagging injuries, then that means Thomas Dimitroff made an truly idiotic gamble. For all those great decisions you mentioned above, he would have given away 5 picks to get a guy who cant see the field.

And I wont have ANY problem then calling the man an idiot. But, your right: let's see if this will go away and we will have Julio when we need him. If so, more power to TD.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:07 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

In a season and a half, where he's had the chance to play in 26 games, he's played in 23, or 88% of the games. You could knock that down by two that I can remember last year where he was injured early, so 21 of 26. In those games, 101 catches for just shy of 1,700 yards.

Really? "can't see the field"? "idiotic gamble"? wow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Reading this board, you'd think we are 1-9. Julio's gonna be fine, and he's still suiting up for games, playing hurt. You gotta respect that, he's a hard nosed player that doesn't shy away from a hit or give up on his routes. Let the haters hate, I'll keep enjoying our best season ever 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:33 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Yulin wrote:
In a season and a half, where he's had the chance to play in 26 games, he's played in 23, or 88% of the games. You could knock that down by two that I can remember last year where he was injured early, so 21 of 26. In those games, 101 catches for just shy of 1,700 yards.

Really? "can't see the field"? "idiotic gamble"? wow.

I will stand by what I posted. In my opinion it is not worth it to spend 5 picks on a WR, even one as talented as Julio, if they guy cant make it through a season healthy. He was injured in college alot: he played through it. He has been injured last year and played through it. He is injured this year and playing through it. Im sorry, but those are facts.

If Julio does not miss any significant gametime going forward, and can continue to be a contributor on the offense, as he has: playing through pain: then Thomas Dimitroff looks like a genius and I ( and some other who question the trade value) look like morons. I can live with that. Im married! I have eaten TD crow before: see Dorsey... But, if he gets injured again, or his nagging injuries affect his gameplay, then Im sorry: that was a huge idiotic gamble that set this team back.

Look, I like the guy. When he is healthy: he is huge. But, he needs to stay healthy. I've been down this rabbit hole before. Look at Torrey Smith. We could have easily picked him up and had 4 more picks to work with. Now, that being said: is Torrey Smith as talented as Julio Jones? No he is not. But he can do something Julio cant: play a whole season. I know he only played the whole season his rookie year, and he only got 841 yards, which is not as impressive as Julio. But that is not the point.

Maybe if we dont pull that trigger, and we get Torrey Smith then we find a stud DE in the second round: and we never have to sign that fraud Edwards. Or maybe we find a better OL. You see what Im getting at.

Now here is where someone ( and Im betting it will be BnB :wink: ) is going to chime in and say 'hey you cant blame TD for fluke injuries'. But that doesn't ring true to me because as BnB can easily tell you: they knew about his injurious past and his ability to 'play through it'. Didnt he get some ridiculous combine time with that broken foot?

So as good as Julio looks on paper and in real time, it only really works out if the guy can finish out the season. I get nervous already seeing him miss gametime 3 games this year, after him missing entire games last year. It seems to me like TD thought once he got here, all that would change. But so far, it has not.

I'll tell you what: I would sit him this week. I know the Bucs are on a roll after kicking kitty butt, and the division is still up for grabs (or as much as it can be) but I think the Bucs defense is a little better then the Saints, and I would have him in top form for the Saints game on TNF.

I anxiously await the cries of 'if he can play, let him'. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:32 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Surprise surprise. Fun Gus is singing my tune, but he has arrived at the same place but IMO for the wrong reasons. Injuries are fluky and random. I do think in the case of Peria Jerry they are significant because they are several lower leg injuries that suggest he's overweight and cannot carry his excess bulk, and given that typically college players gain weight as they transition into the NFL that is not a good mix. But really overall the issue with that pick was because Jerry just wasn't a skillful enough player to merit being a 1st round pick regardless of the injuries.

With Julio, he had a lot of nagging injuries. Again they don't really factor much into the decision to draft him, because he's a compelling enough talent that you overlook those issues (unlike Jerry). To contrast, BJ Raji would have been a compelling enough talent at DT to overlook durability concerns.

But understanding there are durability issues however doesn't stop you from making the trade (there are much more compelling reasons for that which have been discussed ad nauseum), instead it should compel you to solidify your depth. Which is exactly what was discussed quite a bit on this board in the offseason. So much of this year's success is tied to what Julio brings to the table, which is his big play potential. In the past, the Falcons survived without this because they had a strong running game. This is not the case anymore (and TD should have been very aware of this had he evaluated this team properly), and thus I stated throughout the offseason that this team's success would be largely tied to their overall ability to stay healthy and specifically to Julio's, and given his injury history that is not a good bet. Thus why TD deserves criticism.

As for Gonzo, it appears Adrian Wilson did a bang up job locking him down. Looking forward to seeing what the All-22 reveals.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 pm 

Julio is doing a good job when he plays no one is questioning that. He has the potential to be one of the best in the league IF he keeps healthy. The offense depends on Julio even more because of the lack of depth at receiver.finding a 3rd receiver shouldn't be that difficult for TD to find yet he overlooked it in the off season. The same goes for running back and now we have no capable back at this time if Turner can't get the job done.I think Quizz and Snelling are ok but an upgrade was needed.

It's going to be key that Julio plays in the big games especially in the future with the playoffs and other reg season games vs quality teams. I'm not sure the Falcons are strong enough offensively yet to have Julio lay out a significant portion of the game and win even against lesser opponents. We simply don't have that luxury to rest key components of our offense now. One good thing about winning is later in the season the team can rest some players and won't have to worry as much about winning. I hope that is true but if the Falcs want the no1 seed it might come down to the wire so resting players could be difficult.

Would I draft Julio again and give up all those picks? If he can remain healthy yes but if he can't no.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Someone with a better memory than mine can tell me but isn't 2009 the year that both Ryan and Turner missed a few games? No coincidence it is also the year we missed the playoffs. We have been remarkably lucky with injuries in general in the TD Era aside from Jerry, Baker (don't laugh) and this brief spell in 09....up to now. We lose the Man Who Invented football in the first game and Spoon for the last three games--which is huge. JJ has missed here and there but nothing long enough to entirely untrack us. The Falcons have not gobsmacked anyone from pundits to other teams in the TD/Smith/Ryan Era but have been numbingly effective--and lucky. Smith has been traditionally pretty conservative and cautious with injuries aside from Turner in 09 who I think thye rushed back a bit. He's going to try to get his ducks in a row for post season on this front I would suspect.

As to depth, look, clearly the JJ deal cut into that but they have added depth and gradually worked guys into starters from there (Nicholas, Peters). TD has fairly consistently whiffed on his CB drafting and done better with FAs and so forth. TD has had luck--if you wanna call it that--in the upper rounds but he has been fairly mediocre in the lower ones and with his big ticket FAs. He came out of the gate with two grand slams--Smith and Ryan--and perhaps has written that vapor trail a bit. But no matter how you slice it, they are doing what they said they planned to do and that was be consistently competitve in five years. Will they be the next Balt Colts who pile up pretty stats and winning seasons only to fold int he post season too foten? Quite possible. It will depend on the development of the defense, I'd say.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:37 am 
Superstar
Superstar

JJ just being out there is a huge threat..... He's caught enough deep balls now that you can never minimize what he means on the field just running routes.

Maybe against NO. he'll talk of still being hurt, then flash that speed for
a long one.

Side Note: Saw Crumple on a Atlanta Tv station and was shocked.
He must weight 370. Didn't recognize his face (:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
. Injuries are fluky and random..

Not so much. This team has a looooooooooooooooong history ( and it's not just this team ) of signing 'chronically injured' guys going back to Ed Hartwell.

Seen this movie before.

Injuries are fluky and random, unless they happen in 2009, 2010, 2011, AND 2012. :naughty:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:33 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You can do better that that, FG. How about Eric Dickerson? Or Drew Brees? We even tried to get him at one point! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:36 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
You can do better that that, FG. How about Eric Dickerson? Or Drew Brees? We even tried to get him at one point! :shock:

:lol: :clap: