It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sulky McGee
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:55 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Not sure the Falcons looked any different today than they have over the past 4 years when playing the Saints. Had plenty of opportunities to win this game, but they kept shooting themselves in the foot and lost the game, which seems to sum up the other 6 losses suffered at the hands of the Saints under Mike Smith.

I know the reaction of many is going to be, "C'mon guys, it's just 1 loss. No need to make a big deal."

And you're right. It's just 1 loss. But I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really tired of losing to the Saints especially in the fashion that we always seem to do which is failing to take advantage of opportunities given to us.

And especially this year when the Saints have a 2nd string head coach with the league's worst defense, to have our offense get inside the 5 yard line against the defense 5 times, and only score 3 TDs is very disappointing.

Does any other division rivalry between two supposedly close teams so lopsided?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sulky McGee
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:06 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Couldn't agree more. There's no excuse for this. It reminded me if last year's team. I mean, no pressure on the qb and our qb was under pressure all game. Drew Brees did whatever he wanted to this defense and when we made stops, we couldn't capitalize. Not to mention, we were stopped in short yardage situations. Embarrassing loss imo.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:01 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Totally agree! The play we saw today is not the sort of play that wins playoff games! If nothing is done to address the issues that contributed to today's loss, then it won't be just one loss for very long! I love this team, but this loss today was unacceptable!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:45 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I dont care what anyone says, last year when the Saints spanked us on December 26th, I am certain A Blank read the entire coaching staff the riot act. Before they left the Superdome locker room, on the way to the charter. On December 27th, Brian Van Gorder and Mularkey started opening thier rolodex and looking down the road. They may have 'gameplanned' the Jan 1st Bucs win, and the Jan 8th Giant Fiasco(tm) but I am 100% in the belief that both our former coordinators had put the wheels in motion concerning thier next employer. Maybe they win out, and there is no 'need' for an escape plan, but believe this: they had one.

Why does it matter? Because sh*t rolls downhill. Players can sense when thier coaches and coordinators are on the hot seat, and they either ride or die, or when adversity hits, they remain flat and quit. This is one of the factors in the Giant Fiasco(tm). Yesterday a couple things stood out to me.

I dont think these players think anyone is on the 'hot seat'...But when Asante made that pick and then got the celebratory penalty, Coach Shrek went over to him and had a 3-4 minute a$$ chewing session. While we had the ball on Offense, Mike Smith was showboating yelling at Samuels. And Samuels was not hanging his head, looking forlorn, or looking him in the eye: he was fist bumping with Peterson and getting clapped on the back.

IMO, this should be Nolan's job. Smith should be watching what is going on, because what would have helped us there is him yelling at Koetter for running Turner up the gut for another 3rd down non conversion! Then after we SCORE A TD, you call him over and ream him.

Im not saying this team hasn't 'bought in'. They have. But certain games get in thier heads. This game is one of them .

Now clearly, they can go on the road and win ( see Philly ). But Im concerned about things Im seeing on the sidelines. Last year I commented on Ryan's 'lack of fire' in the Giant Fiasco(tm). This season, he is yelling 'GTFO'.

When Julio went out, so did the game. Tony G did his best, but we are dependant on #11. And, if he sustains any significant injury time for the rest of the season, then that has to weigh in on the value of that pick, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:52 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Smith was not showboating and he always does that about those stupid type penalties. Penalties in general are one of his pet peeves. Assante has a loooong history of that kind of stuff. He may not really be the typical Falcon Filter model but I think we are glad to have him. He and Roddy and maybe DeCoud are a bit demonstrative relatve to, say, Babs or Turner or Julio. Anyway, Assante later came back to Smith, it appeared, and acknowledged he was right. True about JJ. He and Roddy and TG with Matt pulling the gears are the Falcons circa 1212. As they go we will go.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 am 

No, if Julio misses more time, it must weigh heavily on the GM's decision to ignore the lack of depth at WR.

The part of me that likes saying I told ya so is winning out. But we've known for months that many of the issues that plagued this team on Sunday would be issues this season.

By not having another vertical threat on the bench at WR, you were basically hitching your offensive success to a player not missing any time, a player that hasn't played made it through a full season healthy in 4 years.

I don't want to sit here and heap all of the problems on the ground game on Turner. I think if we're playing the blame game with the ground attack, then 60%+ of the blame goes on the O-line this year. But we've known for some time that if Turner was the team's lead back, and with the same inept OL that we fielded last year, that the ground game would rarely be a significant factor in our ability to win.

Look, I get it. Most of you think TD is literally the Vegan Jesus. And I know his decisions won't preclude this team from winning 12 or 13 games this year. But you have to admit he did miss the mark on these decisions right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I know people like to complain about receiver depth but other than the Packers and Patriots, what team really has great receiver depth?

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail