It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ex-Falcons Asst. Bill Kollar Hospitalized
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

For you youngsters who may not be aware, Bill Kollar was the Falcons DL coach for 11 seasons (1990-2000), and widely considered to be among the best DL coaches in the league during his time in Atlanta. He was largely known for his fiery temper, helping shape the Bomb Squad, Chuck Smith, and Patrick Kerney into the players that they became here in Atlanta.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... line-coac/

Texans win without defensive line coach
Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2012, 7:44 AM EST
Bill Kollar AP

Before Sunday night’s impressive 13-6 win over the Bears in a rainy and windy Soldier Field, Texans defensive line coach Bill Kollar wasn’t feeling well.

As explained by Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston, Kollar became ill. He was taken to a local hospital, where it was determined that he has a blood clot.

“He’s doing fine,” coach Gary Kubiak said after the game. “[Kollar] had some shortness of breath before the game, wasn’t feeling well and we took him to the hospital for some tests.

“He’s still going through some more tests. I want everybody to know he’s doing well, but he will spend a day or two here and then be back. I know Bill is very proud of our defense and how we played and we really missed him. We got a [game] ball waiting for him.

“So we battled for him. I want you to know that, but he’s doing just fine.”

Even without Kollar, the defense continued its streak of not allowing a rushing touchdown. Though linebackers coach Reggie Herring assumed the sideline duties, defensive end Antonio Smith said he stepped up on he field in Kollar’s absence.

“I became honorary coach/player,” Smith said. “It felt good to be calling the calls out there.

“I might of messed up. Bill is going to get on me when he comes back to work. None of us really knew what had happened until after the game. After [Kubiak] told us everything is going to be all right, we know he is going to be all right. He’s going to be there next week on us like he is always on us.”

I know he was in that hospital bed kicking and screaming at the TV the whole game,” defensive end J.J. Watt said. “I’m really happy to get the ‘W’ for him.”

We wish Kollar a quick recovery, and we congratulate the Texans defense on honoring him with a stifling performance against the Bears.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ex-Falcons Asst. Bill Kollar Hospitalized
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I had lost track of him after he went to the Rams sort of controversally. Herring is the guy who used to be at Clemson, I think. Blood clots are no joke. i had a freind in ER for a bout a week with one in his leg that just happened out of the blue. Best of luck to Bill.