It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:12 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25552
Location: North Carolina
The last thing I want is for this season to morph into this team's attempt to go 16-0. I know that's probably not going to be very popular, but the last thing I want to see is this Falcon team 12-0 or 13-0. I hope they don't lose this week to the Saints. But hopefully at some point in the future, perhaps vs. Arizona, Tampa Bay, Carolina or the Giants, I hope they drop a game so that any endeavors to try and reach 16-0 end.

That sort of success IMHO is very draining on a football team. The goal of this season has nothing to do with going 16-0 in the regular season. The goal of this season is to go to the playoffs and to win at least one playoff game. They could go 2-6 the rest of the regular season, and it no one would care if they go to the playoffs and win a playoff game. However if they go 8-0, and lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs, no one is going to care about the fact they went 16-0.

Once they Patriots did it, any team's desire to do so should have been nipped in the bud. Not unless a team is truly capable of going 19-0, which the Falcons are not.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-bl ... ttainable/

Quote:
The Falcons are the league’s only undefeated team at 8-0 and they face only one team with a winning record.

“I’m hoping so,” White said when asked if the Falcons could go undefeated. “I think we have the pedigree to do it.”

White likes the makeup off the team.

“How we are on offense and defense and how we are as a team,” White said. “This locker room is very united right now. Every week, we expect to win. There is not a team that I felt like when we went into a ball game this year that we didn’t feel like we were going to win. I think we can (go undefeated.) We just still have to be consistent, don’t turn over the ball and get turnovers. That’s been the key to winning games all over the league this year. If we can continue to do that, we’ll be just fine.”

White apparently didn’t get the “one game at a time” memo from head coach Mike Smith’s office.

But White usually speaks his mind.
:doh:

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:33 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:51 pm
Posts: 4847
Location: New York
I get what you mean Pudge and I'm making a prediction right now. Tampa Bay will beat Atlanta and that will give Atlanta something to think about. As for Roddy opening his mouth, I'm not a fan of that but I won't get all butt hurt. Remember Pudge, you told me in Week 4 you won't bash Roddy after that game against Carolina.

_________________
Image

R.I.P 2013 season


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:04 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25552
Location: North Carolina
I don't mean to bash Roddy, but he's just saying something that I don't want to hear. I don't want this team thinking about going 16-0. Because if/when they start thinking about going 16-0, their eyes come off the prize, which is winning in January.

Roddy is just the mouthpiece for what I think many people within the Falcons locker room are thinking.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:18 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:02 pm
Posts: 6476
Location: Indianapolis IN
It's sort of an unwritten rule not to mention 16-0 perfect season. It's like a pitcher throwing a no hitter do you have everyone coming up to him and saying hey your throwing a no hitter. Maybe it's the karma thing where if your saying it forces out of your control can take over?

It's nice to think that you can go 16-0 and that you have confidence but on the flip side do you want to tell the public we will lose sometime. I would rather a team come out like the Patriots and not say anything and approach the game one at a time. The Falcon's could be doing the same (approaching one game at a time) it just sounds cocky when you say it to the media and puts more pressure on the team. The ball has bounced the Falcons way so far and when the Falcon's do struggle vs an opponent can they pull it out or will karma rear its ugly head. :fingersx:

_________________
Sometimes running the Mularkey offense makes me feel like I'm in a prison.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:15 am 
Offline
Playmaker
Playmaker
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:26 pm
Posts: 463
Location: The Kingdom
Pudge wrote:
Once they Patriots did it, any team's desire to do so should have been nipped in the bud. Not unless a team is truly capable of going 19-0, which the Falcons are not.




Yeah but what team is? I mean you really never know until a team actually does it. I want the Falcons to win as many games as they can without going 16-0 because I agree, that is just a distraction. The goal is not to be perfect, but to...You know :roll: Just DONT LOSE ANY GAMES TO THE FREAKIN SAINTS!!!!!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:26 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6078
Location: Planet Claire
He's probably just answering a pointed question. The only two answers he can give other than this one are the generic, "Well, we're just taking it one game at a time" or "Hell no! We're not near good enough to do that!" I think everyone is pretty hip to the fact that Roddy is a ready, fire, aim guy and what he says machts nicht. I can say this...the Falcons are 8-0 and the lone unbeaten team in the NFL and that is the first time in human history such a thing can be stated as fact. All good things come to an end. Why not enjoy the ride? :king:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:30 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4340
We are not going to win the next 8 games.....The Saints can beat us by 3 touchdowns with either a bad offensive game or defensive game from us.(we need both to always win)

I was talking with someone today and wondered if Mike Smith had anything to due with our only losing one or two players a season while others lose 5 or 6 or 8 for weeks at a time.

I do think Nolan is making due with just an ok defense. Never getting pressure on a Qb except with blitzes will cause major problems before the playoffs.

Roddy talks to get up for games and have reasons for taking shots across the middle. The growing base for his being elected to the hall of fame is growing so quickly. Without injury this would be his 6th straight 1,000 yard receiving season; if we'll win a few playoff games and even a Championship if he can get to 9 or 10 years of 1,000 receiving yards my crazy prediction 3 years ago won't look so crazy.

I think he's watched Tony G. and realized as long as he can out muscle corners his speed should be fine to keep playing receiver his way!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:32 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:41 pm
Posts: 2298
Location: Albany NY
Teams that have achieved perfect records have a 50% record of winning it all. Teams that have less than perfect records have a 3.5% chance of winning it all. I'm guessing Alabama must be pumped that they can now work on winning the championship in college :doh:

_________________
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:10 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4377
Location: Vancouver, WA
Saints took care of that problem.

_________________
Fear the BEARD!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:42 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6078
Location: Planet Claire
Thanks a ton, Capt. Karma. :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:30 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25552
Location: North Carolina
Very few positives from today's game itself, but I think a lot of positives can potentially come from this loss. The Falcons don't have to deal with the distraction that is a 16-0 season, and now maybe they will realize after getting bitch-slapped by the Saints, that they need to bust their butts a lot harder if they want to achieve their goals this year.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:02 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6078
Location: Planet Claire
So, that's what you call bitch slapping? That read like one of Birdy's posts.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:07 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:41 pm
Posts: 2298
Location: Albany NY
Well, I blame Pudge for this, he got his wish.

_________________
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:27 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25552
Location: North Carolina
backnblack wrote:
So, that's what you call bitch slapping? That read like one of Birdy's posts.

Absolutely, the Falcons got their butts kicked in the trenches. The Saints defense pushed us around, as did their O-line.

Mark INgram was successful on 10 of his first 11 carries! They pushed around our defense on the ground throughout the first half. Our D stepped up in the 2nd half, but then the offense went into a shell as they couldn't get an inch on the ground, they pressured Ryan quite a bit and he was rattled. He looked like the old Matt Ryan that would get hit in the mouth early in the game, and then would be fairly quick on the trigger.

They got us out of our element and they beat us physically.

And given the history of this rivalry, every time the Saints beat the Falcons, they make them their bitch!

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:39 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6078
Location: Planet Claire
BS about MR.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:50 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25552
Location: North Carolina
We'll see Bnb when I review the game in a few days... But it looked like his eye level was dipping in the latter part of the game. I think Ryan played fairly well, but it was clear the Saints pressure was throwing his rhythm and timing off. He was late/off on a couple of those missed TDs in the endzone. Overthrew Julio on the fade, was late on the throw to Gonzo that Jenkins broke up, and was fading away on the 4th down pass to Roddy which took something off the ball that allowed Greer to break it up.

Ryan did not trust his line today (deservedly so), and I think it showed in his play.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:18 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:02 pm
Posts: 6476
Location: Indianapolis IN
Great job Roddy. Any more fantastic predictions? Didn't Roddy predict something last year and we got blown out again? Why oh why do you continue to make predictions Roddy? Call it karma or luck but it seems more times than not when an athlete predicts a win it back fires. Tape Roddy's mouth shut in the future or if I'm Mike Smith fine anyone who predicts in the future. It's an unwritten rule players should lay low and not get into predictions. Next time Roddy just needs to say no comment or will see what happens yet Roddy loves to open up a can of worms.

_________________
Sometimes running the Mularkey offense makes me feel like I'm in a prison.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:43 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:51 pm
Posts: 4847
Location: New York
Pudge wrote:
We'll see Bnb when I review the game in a few days... But it looked like his eye level was dipping in the latter part of the game. I think Ryan played fairly well, but it was clear the Saints pressure was throwing his rhythm and timing off. He was late/off on a couple of those missed TDs in the endzone. Overthrew Julio on the fade, was late on the throw to Gonzo that Jenkins broke up, and was fading away on the 4th down pass to Roddy which took something off the ball that allowed Greer to break it up.

Ryan did not trust his line today (deservedly so), and I think it showed in his play.



The fact that you are taking shots at a guy who threw for 411 yards is ridiculous. The way he's playing is remarkable.

_________________
Image

R.I.P 2013 season


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:51 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:41 pm
Posts: 2298
Location: Albany NY
Pudge is just happy, as the thread title states. Ryan played fantastic today, so did Roddy and Tony G. Our problem has nothing to do with the passing game. We have one of the worst short yardage running games in the league, and Ryan sucks at QB sneaking which doesn't help. We have an Achilles heal on our high powered offense, short yardage rushing when the other team is expecting it.

_________________
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:16 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6078
Location: Planet Claire
Emmitt wrote:
Pudge wrote:
We'll see Bnb when I review the game in a few days... But it looked like his eye level was dipping in the latter part of the game. I think Ryan played fairly well, but it was clear the Saints pressure was throwing his rhythm and timing off. He was late/off on a couple of those missed TDs in the endzone. Overthrew Julio on the fade, was late on the throw to Gonzo that Jenkins broke up, and was fading away on the 4th down pass to Roddy which took something off the ball that allowed Greer to break it up.

Ryan did not trust his line today (deservedly so), and I think it showed in his play.



The fact that you are taking shots at a guy who threw for 411 yards is ridiculous. The way he's playing is remarkable.

Pudge trying to generate "hits." :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:38 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:41 pm
Posts: 2298
Location: Albany NY
There you go, Pudge playing the crazy role because of smaller posting numbers. Perhaps he needs to go back to his PB alter ego? LOL Sorry Pudge couldn't resist taking a shot after you cursed us!!!!

_________________
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25552
Location: North Carolina
Emmitt wrote:
The fact that you are taking shots at a guy who threw for 411 yards is ridiculous. The way he's playing is remarkable.

How is what I said taking shots at Ryan?

I love it that when you make a statement, whether a statement of fact or opinion that doesn't paint someone in the most positive light possible that I'm bashing someone, hating on someone, or being negative. :roll:

It's a statement of fact that Ryan missed a couple of throws that would have won us the game. He missed the fade to Julio, was late on the throw to Gonzo that Jenkins broke up, and did not make a great throw on 4th down to Roddy.

If you think that stating that Ryan looked a little rattled because of his offensive line is terrible is a "shot" at Ryan and not the O-line, then I don't know what to say. :so:

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:46 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6078
Location: Planet Claire
The thing about this internet thread thing, Pudge, is all anyone has to do is look above to see what you actually said. you didn't say he missed slightly on a couple of late passes. You said he went back to the "old Matt Ryan" who would get hit in the mouth and get a quick trigger. Now, he can wait until the pass rushers are on him and throw and see how that works out but you are make a judgement call as to his posychological state that is not a "statement of fact" at all. It is your perception. He said himself on th elast pass he should have thrown it higher and further ahead of Roddy. Roddy could have also come to the ball. Give the DB credit. Pretty awesome play. Ryan and his recievers are what kept us in that game until the very end. We have basically turned into--or probably should turn into--a run and shoot team.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:25 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25552
Location: North Carolina
backnblack wrote:
You said he went back to the "old Matt Ryan" who would get hit in the mouth and get a quick trigger.

For many, saying Ryan reverted to the "old Ryan" is an insult. For me, the guy who was one of the staunchest defenders of the "old Ryan," that is not an insult. You and/or others perceived that statement as a "bash" because of your own negative perceptions of what "old Ryan" means. I have no such negativity towards the "old Ryan," therefore when I say he was the "old Ryan" that still is one of the 10 best QBs in the league and the guy that when his career is over and done with will be one of the winningest QBs in NFL history. But at the same time, despite all of that, the "old Ryan" could never be the Saints. Usually played very well against them, but always looked a little tight when it came to making the plays in the end that the team needed to pull out the W. I think that describes exactly how Ryan looked yesterday. You know unlike most people on this forum, when I criticize Matt Ryan's play, it's not a referendum on his career/season.

And I would disagree that the offense kept us in the game. They did for the most part in the 1st half, but they did not do so in the 2nd half. It was the defense that kept us in the game in the 2nd half. The offense failed to capitalize on the numerous opportunities afforded them in the 2nd half.

IMO, part of that was because I think the "old Ryan" showed up a few too many times, missing on throws, being a bit quick to check down or flee the pocket. A major part of that was because the offense struggled to generate a single yard on the ground.

I think the Falcons got bitch slapped in this game by the Saints. I keep reading on here that the Falcons are the better team. I think you could certainly make the case that in the previous 4-6 years when the two teams have squared off that has rarely been the case, and the reason why the Saints have routinely owned us during that time period.

So it begs the question, if the Falcons are still the better team, then why didn't they win yesterday?

Sounds like we are the Saints bitch, and bitches get slapped from time to time to remind them that they are bitches.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: I Hope the Falcons Lose Soon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:20 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1104
Location: San Diego, CA
Ten things I took from the game:

1. Our O-line is still soft up the middle, and Clabo is not what he used to be hopefully next year Lamar Holmes can challenge for RT (even though in preseason he left a lot to be desired with his run blocking).

2. Turner has no lateral movement(I just like beating dead horses), and Quizz has only one gear.

3. Without Julio in the game our offense may be even worse than when we had M.Jenkins for the simple fact that back then we could run the ball. We do not have a legitimate plug and play vertical receiver on this team outside of Roddy and Julio. Drew Davis has no "go up and get it" in him at all. HD83 is quick and could be a weapon but his route running just isn't because for all of his talent he just doesn't seem to get separation underneath.

4. I have enjoyed Mike Nolan since he go here but his game plan was sh*t when it came to defending Jimmy Graham in the first half even though it did get better in the second half but it just seemed that he did more to try and take away Colston than he did to stop Graham.

5. That run defense can be a problem in the future they need to take care of that.

6. This was probably the worst game I have seen the our safeties play this year......Willy Mo was not ready and "De-couldnt cover Jimmy Graham.

7. Robert Mcclain really had some nice coverage from the nickel spot even though he was not in position to make plays on the ball he was in position to make sound tackles on the WR right after they made a catch. If he continues to be in that position he will have a chance to make some big plays in the future against lesser QBs.

8. That Fluke run really changed the game if you make NO work for everything then we probably would have came out on top but that run was the "swing score as my coach used to call it.

9. Dunta has horrible ball skills he had about as a good a chance at a int that you can have and just missed it. Heres to finding away to pry Sean Smith away from the Dolphins and reunite him with his old coach in Mike Nolan.

10. Even with everything that happened and how poorly the defense played and how stagnant the Offense looked at times we still had a chance to win in a hostile environment and I really feel that if MR2 has 10 four down series in the redzone one will end like that and the other 9 will end in TDs.

_________________
The Young Gunner


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


cron