It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Week 10 Saints Game Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:30 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I got nothing really clever to put in the title of this thread.

Well the Saints are down, the Falcons are up. Will the tables be reversed finally and the Falcons can finally put a smackdown on the Saints, something we haven't seen in a while.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Week 10 Saints Game Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:48 am 

Looks like it could be a shootout with Brees and Ryan throwing for over 300 yards if not 400. This is the kind of game the Saints would love to stick it to the Falcon's and ruin their undefeated season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Of course, we won't get over 400+ yards on the team who's given uo 40+ in 7 straight games. But Lord knows I want this win...BAD :twisted: Hopefully this is the first of 2. But we can bet that we'll get their best because of the rivalry on top of the fact that we're unbeaten.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Let's hope Weatherspoon comes back for this game because unlike Romo, Drew Brees knows how to get his stars the ball. Jimmy Graham has given Atlanta problems in the past, although I do remember some of those drops on 3rd down by him last year (I slipped him a 50 before the game sh). In all seriousness, I hate the Saints and it always kills me to see them beat the Falcons. Last year on MNF was brutal and the loss at home still stings because even when Atlanta was at their best, they couldn't win. Its time to beat the dead Saints team down.

No Sproles is a plus even though I don't recall him making a big impact last year against the Falcons.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

hmmm............. The f'n Saints, wish I was more confident in this game. It should be a shoot out, I'm going Falcons 31-30 winners. Gonna be interesting to see how we handle them with Mike Nolan as opposed to BVG.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:15 pm 

I keep waiting for the let down and I'm just going to assume that this week is the week... Probably something in the order of NO 30, ATL 10.

Too many things are stacked against the Saints which of course means the Falcons are primed for an epic let down.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:15 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Saints defense holding Falcons to 10 points? Ray Edwards getting a sack is more likely at this point.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:31 am 

After watching the Saints game tonight the Falcons better bring their A game. I have a bad feeling about the game hope I'm wrong. The Saints seemed to have their act together now and are on a roll. I'd like to win in New Orleans just to ruin the Aints momentum plus give us more confidence. Also it's a chance to beat a top flight QB playing well. Sometimes you play teams when they aren't playing well.If you win are you really as good as you think you are? Its a good test for the Falcon's so I'll be anxious to play this game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Philly beat themselves tonight. They are self destructing. The Saints are coachless at this point, but they're still playing football. I think that there's some potential for this to be a good game, but I expect a thorough butt kicking.

Matt Ryan will throw for 350+ and 3 TDs. Brees will throw for about 275 with a TD and a Int. I think that Nolan will add a wrinkle for this game that will give Brees fits. Not as bad as what happened to Manning earlier this year, but Brees will be visually frustrated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm 

I fully expect the Falcons to lay the smackdown on the Saints in one of these games this year. Or maybe that is less expectation, but more of a hope.

You know, I have the feeling that one of these Saints games should be something like Falcons 45, Saints 17 similar to last year's MNF debacle.

And I think if htat's going to happen, this week is as good as any for that to happen. The Saints defense can't stop anybody, and thus if our offense is anything worth its salt, it should be able to go up and down the field against that defense. They can't get pressure without blitzing, and unlike Michael Vick, we handle the blitz fairly well, and they can't stop the run.

My hope is the Falcons get up big in this game early, and make the Saints one-dimensional, and we can run up the score on them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:43 pm 

The Falcons better have Spooner on the field if they want any hope of blowing out the Saints.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm hearing some buzz that Atlanta is still heated about how Saints ran up the score from them. Let's also not forget about 2010 when they danced on the logo. The rivalry is still hot and I'm expecting Atlanta to be fired up. The Thursday night game seems more likely for a blow out but who knows? It could be either or but I want to see at least a sweep this year from the Falcons after all the Saints victories.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:13 pm 

Honestly if the Falcons don't own the Saints, I'm going to really question this teams toughness. That week 16 loss last year was a microcosm of that season and embodied IMO what few negatives there are with Mike Smiths coaching style.

The saints essentially have no coaches, and we have brand new ones. I'm tired of losing to the Saints, and frankly this weeks game and this season is set up perfectly for the Falcons to finally show up and turn the tide.

Our coaches are supposedly 10x better and theirs 10x worse, plus they are sporting the league's worst defense and we're supposed to be one of the best offenses in the league. All of that should be apparent on Sunday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:18 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

While I expect the Saints to bring everything considering the rivalry, we should be punting for the first time in the 4th quarter of this game. DK, if he's what he's shown so far, should be able to put together a set of play calls that keeps the ball in our O's hands and driving up and down the field the entire game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:34 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Honestly if the Falcons don't own the Saints, I'm going to really question this teams toughness. That week 16 loss last year was a microcosm of that season and embodied IMO what few negatives there are with Mike Smiths coaching style.

The saints essentially have no coaches, and we have brand new ones. I'm tired of losing to the Saints, and frankly this weeks game and this season is set up perfectly for the Falcons to finally show up and turn the tide.

Our coaches are supposedly 10x better and theirs 10x worse, plus they are sporting the league's worst defense and we're supposed to be one of the best offenses in the league. All of that should be apparent on Sunday.

I dont think you can question the 'toughness' of the Saints if we win ugly. If we capitalize on some of thier mistakes, get up early and grind it out for the win, that's being 'tough' as well.

Thomas DeCould agrees;-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adWoRlvF-Ao

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

37-20 Falcons Last TD coming in the last 3 mins of the game. How I would love to drop a Fifty-Burger on the Saints in the Superdome :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:15 pm 

If there is any truth to Spoon being out for this game our chances of winning slide... I know there is 11 guys but Spoon can neutralize their best weapon against us in Graham.

I hope Matt Ryan is ready for a 350+ yard performance with at least 3 TD's or this is going to be a horse race and we won't have the pony that can win that type of game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Unlike Tony Romo, Drew Brees knows how to throw to his targets on a consistent basis. This is a scary matchup but I got faith that they can get a few more stops. Turnovers will be huge here, defense has played incredible last two weeks but turnovers will be needed to be forced.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:08 pm 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/1 ... ts-pass-de

Key matchup: Falcons QB Matt Ryan vs. Saints pass defense

Posted Nov. 07, 2012 @ 3:27 p.m. ET
By Dan Parr

In today's Key Matchup, we take a look at the challenge awaiting the Saints' pass defense in Week 10, when Matt Ryan and Co. will visit the Superdome.

Key Matchup: Falcons QB Matt Ryan vs. Saints pass defense

Coming off its best performance of the season, the Saints’ 32nd-ranked defense faces a much tougher test in Week 10 test than it did in Week Nine vs. Michael Vick and the Eagles.

After all, Falcons QB Matt Ryan is an MVP candidate for good reason.

With a blitz-heavy, attacking approach, New Orleans allowed a season-low 13 points, scored its first defensive touchdown of the season and made a season-high seven sacks vs. Vick.

Is this a sign of things to come, stylistically, for the Saints’ “D” or did defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo just happen to take full advantage of a struggling quarterback with a leaky offensive line?

“I think people, just by nature — football fans, coaches, players do the same things — think the answer to everything is to just blitz,” Spagnuolo said Tuesday, per WWL-TV. “That’s not necessarily true, especially when you’re playing a pretty good quarterback. This guy this past weekend (Vick) was a good quarterback but we felt like we could do some things. They had an injury in the O-line early and that made a difference and we were cognizant of that.

“But going into this next game, I don’t know what it will be.”

Maybe that was just a head fake by Spagnuolo, who certainly does not want to show his hand before the Saints’ biggest game of the season, but, in our estimation, folks would be right to read that as an indication the Saints will not simply rinse and repeat their Philadelphia game plan.

Spagnuolo is far too smart to do that.

While the Eagles have explosive playmakers on offense, the Falcons' Ryan is more adept at beating the blitz, and he has bigger, more physical receivers than the Eagles do. Julio Jones and Roddy White will beat a jam at the line of scrimmage from CBs Jabari Greer and Patrick Robinson, and, while mixing in some timely blitzes against Atlanta certainly makes sense, Ryan could consistently burn New Orleans if it becomes overzealous.

Don’t be surprised if the Saints, who have collected 14 sacks in their three wins and six sacks in their five losses, play it much more conservatively on defense against the Falcons.

Unfortunately for Spagnuolo, he might not have a defensive line that's capable of creating pressure on its own (without blitzing) against Ryan, who usually does a good job of getting rid of the ball quickly. And the Saints' secondary (SS Roman Harper, in particular) is vulnerable to giving up yards in big chunks — New Orleans has given up more than nine yards per play in four games this season.

The Saints are going from playing a mistake-prone, inefficient offense to the exact opposite on a short week coming off a Monday-night win.

The results the Saints produce defensively compared to Monday night vs. Philly could differ dramatically, as well.

Profile E-mail