It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFR: Vick's gone if he doesn't lead Philly to playoffs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:38 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't think he'll be the only one gone if the Eagles miss the playoffs. Andy Reid will be coaching the Browns next year.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Rep ... yoffs.html

Report: Vick's gone if he doesn't lead Philly to the playoffs

Eagles quarterback is due $16 million in 2013.
Joe Fortenbaugh
October 14, 2012, 12:21 PM EST

The pressure is mounting in Philadelphia.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that “league sources believe” the Philadelphia Eagles will part ways with starting quarterback Michael Vick if the Virginia Tech product is unable to lead the team to the playoffs this season.

The 32-year-old signal-caller is scheduled to make $16 million in 2013, with $3 million of that becoming fully guaranteed three days after the Super Bowl (February 6). Per Schefter, should the Birds dump Vick prior to that date, the team would be off the hook entirely and would have no financial obligation to the quarterback.

Despite a 3-2 record that includes an impressive win over the Baltimore Ravens, Vick has struggled mightily in 2012, already recording a staggering 11 turnovers while completing just 58.4% of his passes. In addition, Vick has already been sacked 14 times through five games (t-sixth-most in NFL).

But Vick isn’t the only guy in Philadelphia feeling the heat at the moment. Eagles owner Jeffery Lurie made it clear in recent months that head coach Andy Reid could find himself in the unemployment line as well if the team doesn’t qualify for the postseason in 2012. Nobody’s head rolled after that 8-8 debacle the Eagles produced last season, but things are much different in Philadelphia this time around.

And with an upcoming schedule that includes dates against the Falcons, Saints, Cowboys (twice), Redskins (twice) and Giants, the Eagles are going to need to clean up the turnover problem in a hurry if they have any hopes of playing in late January.

Vick was the toast of the town just two years ago when he stole the starting job from Kevin Kolb and guided Philadelphia to the postseason. But since that time, the quarterback has gone just 10-8 with 24 touchdown passes and 29 turnovers.

Hit me up on Twitter: @JoeFortenbaugh

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NFR: Vick's gone if he doesn't lead Philly to playoffs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:10 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

If the owner and GM really are in the "win for me or else" mode then it makes me think a couple things right off the bat.

1) You are not a very good Owner or GM...check out the guys who tend to think this and they tend to be at the bottom of the charts always rebuilding.

2) You have the wrong QB to get you where you want to go. Now dont get me wrong, Vick brings a lot of good things to a team (TV exposure, Fans, Vivid discussions, a chance to win every game, a little taste of controversy, etc) but if consistently winning/playoff seasons is what you want, then move on.

Lets take a quick look at Vicks seasons past....

2001 - ATL 7-9 (missed playoffs) but Vick was not starting QB
2002 - ATL 9-6-1 (made playoffs) and won an away game in GB
2003 - ATL 5-11 (missed playoffs) but Vick was hurt and did not play much
2004 - ATL 11-5 (made playoffs) and won a game vs. Rams
2005 - ATL 8-8 (missed playoffs)
2006 - ATL 7-9 (missed playoffs)
2010 - PHI 10-6 (made Playoffs) but lost first game
2011 - PHI 8-8 (missed playoffs)

So with all the skills he has and all the excitement and all the ability to take over a game by himself, he in no way is a consistent playoff QB.

Maybe we can pick him up as a backup?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Vick's skills are not being used properly, he needs to run, and run allot to be effective. Yes I know he will get hurt, that's why he is such a poor choice as a team's starting qb. Either use him for what he's got at or move on. FYI, I like how Philly scapegoated their D coordinator today. What a joke, he was about #20 on the list of problems they have.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:03 pm 

Disagree Dave.

Vick's turnover, poor field vision, poor anticipation are in the Top 5 of the Eagles problems.

They made a mistake giving him the contract. He has regressed since 2010.

If the Eagles don't go to the playoffs and win a playoff game, they might as well clean house. Andy Reid is a good coach, but it's clear that the arrow has not been pointing up on that team since 2008 when they lost to Arizona in the NFC Championship game. They've become increasingly mediocre.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:18 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Ahh, I'm sticking to my guns that Vick can still be effective if he runs allot. I will agree that he has declined, but I don't think he is finished yet. I will agree that his contract was moronic at best considering he is slight of build, aging and only effective when he runs allot. Not a good combination for long term success or durability.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:29 am 

I agree that Vick can still be effective, and NFL teams can do a lot worse than him.

But the problem is that like the lower level QBs in the league, he needs a strong running game to be a consistent winner. That's not worth $100 million.

With someone like Cam Newton, it's a valid excuse because he's still young. But Vick has played in the NFL for 10 years, and the fact that as a passer he's really no better than a 2nd year Cam is extremely telling.

It was a bad investment by the Eagles, and their best move is to cut ways sooner rather than later and move on. They're better off going out and getting a Jason Campbell-type of player that can basically be the same guy but for 25 cents on the dollar.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:57 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Well, while we disagree slightly as to why he isn't worth $100 million, I think the common ground that Philly was stupid in paying him, is enough for me to say adios to this thread. FYI, look who has held the Eagles back up on their fantasy team since week 1 8-) .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:21 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... mike-vick/

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:34 pm 

In 2008, during Week 12, McNabb was benched vs. the Ravens in favor of Kevin Kolb, a 2nd year player.

The next week McNabb got the start in the midst of controversy, and proceeded to win 6 of their next 7 games, including 2 road wins in the playoffs, ultimately culminating with a loss to the Arizona Cardinals in the NFC Championship game, in an almost comeback win where they were down 18 points at halftime.

Wonder if all this talk of a benching is supposed to inspire Vick as it seemingly did for McNabb in what would be his last real hurrah in Philadelphia.

Historically the Falcons are the team you want to play when you've been underachieving. Look at the Raiders pass rush last week. ANd given Vick's personal history with the Falcons, I'm sure he'll be very inspired to perform well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't think that there's anything that will light a fire under Vick. Remember Vick flicking off the fans here in Atlanta? The only thing that motivates Vick is money, or lack there of.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:beef: Robert to say Vick is only motivated by money is wrong and offensive to him. He's also motivated by extreme animal violence and marijuana!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:22 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

DaveWaz wrote:
:beef: Robert to say Vick is only motivated by money is wrong and offensive to him. He's also motivated by extreme animal violence and marijuana!

:rofl: :clap: :beef:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:24 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He'll get paid somewhere if he gets canned in Philly. The contract was incredibly stupid but if they can get out of it unscathed at season's end if they so choose maybe it isn't too bad. Knowing Vick, he'll go on a tear here--quite possibly tearing us a new one in the process--enough that the Eagles and their fan base will hold out hope that maybe he can get it done. He's always been wildly inconsistent but I feel that he could "luck out" and string a bunch of good games in a row...maybe even enough to win it all one day...but it is pretty unlikely. GB had a QB that was not dissimilar to this for years though Brett was more consistent than Mike is. Those two have always reminded me of each other.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 pm 

It's the fumbles that are killing. He's on pace to set the NFL record for most fumbles in a season with 24. Kerry Collins (2001) and Daunte Culpepper (2002) are tied for the record with 23. Tony Banks and David Carr both had 21 in their rookie seasons.

He led the league in 2010, and was pushing into the Top 5 last year. You have to protect the football, and it's something Vick has never really done throughout his career. And I don't think you can ever really expect him to do so, which I think puts a firm ceiling on his individual and his team's potential, as it did with Favre in the latter half of his career for the most part.

When you look at the best Favre-led teams post-Holmgren it was the 2007 GB and 2009 MIN team, where he basically "managed" games and had his 2 lowest INT rates post-1997.

I doubt Vick is ever going to be that player, at least not on a consistent week to week basis. He wasn't that player in 2010, despite a very low INT rate. He had a huge number of INTs dropped that year. There was a Viking game late that year where he should have had 4 or 5 INTs if the Vikings defenders just caught the ball.

He just grades too poorly in the "cerebral" aspects of the position to think he'll ever "get it." He's just poor pre-snap, struggles vs. the blitz, and doesn't have good field vision to anticipate throws and coverages. And the fact that he's made minimal improvements despite 4 years in Reid's system tells you that there's not a coach in the world that can get him to be better there.

So I think if any team intends to have Vick at QB and win on a consistent basis, they have to minimize his inconsistency by being a consistent running team. And that doesn't mesh with what Andy Reid wants to do offensively (he wants to throw the ball every down), and thus you have the issues that they have in Philly.

Now all that said, that's long-term stuff. Short-term, I agree with bnb, that I expect Vick to come in and play very well vs. the Falcons. And I expect that if the Falcons really want to give themselves the best chance of beating the Eagles, they need to get one of those Saints "cart-offs" as early as possible. :whistle:

Profile E-mail