The Joe Hawley Experiment

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar

The Joe Hawley Experiment

Postby RobertAP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Anyone else want to end the Joe Hawley, as a skill position player, experiment? Seriously, if Palmer is going to be out for a while, we might want to fish around a bit and come up with a better alternative.

DaveWaz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Joe Hawley Experiment

Postby DaveWaz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:03 am

When we throw it to him, I hope he drops it, as it seems a fumble is inevitable if he catches it.
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!

MarylandFalcon1
Superstar
Superstar

Postby MarylandFalcon1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:21 am

Yeah Dave, assuming he doesn't drop it 'up in the air' like he did twice yesterday. :doh: Those were two INTs waiting to happen.
"I am certainly not afraid to have Brian Finneran on the field. Has he ever not made plays? He just makes plays. He is one of those guys that just makes plays. He is dependable."

J. Mora JR.

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 am

You remember Eric Beverly? I think it can work, maybe not with Hawley specifically, but the idea is sound. Using an athletic OL as a tight end. You just might need to find someone on the roster that actually can catch, and/or get him more work on the JUGS machine after practice.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Confess_Jesus_Now
Playmaker
Playmaker

Postby Confess_Jesus_Now » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:35 pm

If he's open, throw it to him. He can't drop em all. He might end up scoring on a big play somewhere down the line.

DaveWaz
Superstar
Superstar

Postby DaveWaz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm fine with using this tactic on short yardage goal line situations, but midfield where he will be actually running with the ball after catching, yikes. Also, he doesn't seems slow as dirt and has hands of stone, there has to be someone out there that is a better option for the huge tight end role.
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!

Wease
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Wease » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Pudge wrote:You remember Eric Beverly? I think it can work, maybe not with Hawley specifically, but the idea is sound. Using an athletic OL as a tight end. You just might need to find someone on the roster that actually can catch, and/or get him more work on the JUGS machine after practice.

hehe he said "JUGS"
Fantasy League Champion 2010
Pick Em Co-Champion 2011

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

Yulin
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby Yulin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm

I think even if he drops, it's something you have to continue to do one or two times a game, just like you have to keep running up the middle a few times a game to keep things honest. He will catch one eventually if they keep at it, and that means at some point he'll have a catch and burn someone for a few yards.

If they're not serious about it, they need to get another TE on the roster who can masquerade as a fullback to take the role.
~Yulin

fun gus
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Postby fun gus » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:40 am

I guess Im encouraged this offense is 'experimenting'. After four years of the same tired playcalling, this seems like nirvana even though the experiment isnt working out as well as hoped. :ninja:
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"

Return to “The Huddle”