It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Season Predictions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:20 pm 
Starter
Starter

Time to see what everyone thinks will happen to this years squad so here goes......I have to admit I am a little more down on the falcons this year. I used to have that warm fuzzy feeling about this team and it's direction but I have become a little disenchanted. I don't think we are horrible or think the bottom will fall out, it's just that ever since the GB playoff throttling I feel this team got exposed for what it really was. A pretty good team but not one capable of beating the big dogs and winning a super bowl. As to this season I feel Matt Ryan will continue to progress and maybe by the end of the year will be on the fringes of a top 5 qb.
I really like the hire of Mike Nolan as our DC and I think our defense will improve schematically. I don't like our D line at all. I love Abe and he is one of my favorite all time falcons, but he is at that age where his play could just fall off at any time. Babs seems like he is on the decline, Peters may not play very much at all this year and I don't have any expectations at all for Jelly. Ray Edwards IMO just flat out sucks and is happy to be collecting a big check (see also: Dunta Robinson). So unless Biermann, Sid or massaquoi/Mathews really steps up, I just don't see much of a pass rush.
I do think the offense will be better than last year by a little bit. I think Ryan, Julio, and Roddy will all have big years. Much like the defense, I see the line as a big problem. I don't think hiring Pat Hill is all of a sudden going to transform this bunch into All Pros. I have ZERO faith in Baker. Sure he has looked better in preseason, but then again no one gives a s*** about preseason. Much like Abe I feel that McClure's play could fall off at any time. I feel ok about Blaylock and Clabo, but not great. In summary I don't feel great about the online holding up against the likes of NYG, San Fran, etc. I predict we go 10 - 6 and win the division but lose in the wild card round again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Season Predictions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:01 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'll hold off on my predictions until Monday or Tuesday when I post them on the front page of the site.

But I do think the Falcons will win the NFC South this year, make the playoffs, and win at least 1 playoff game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:44 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It's tough for me to make a prediction right now because I have seen two different teams take the field during the preseason... The issue is play calling... If we take that next step and switch to a pass first offense led by Ryan, and use Turner a lot less often, then we're going to be a convincing 12 win playoff team. If we continue to play Marty-ball with Turner, this team will be lucky to win 10 games. Our offensive personnel is best suited to a pass-centric attack. If we continue to insist on this being a Turner driven team, we're not going to be any good. We sure as hell aren't going to win any playoff games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:43 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I think the injury bug/depth issue bites us in the collective A$$ this year. Because of that, we either miss the playoffs, or just squeak in as a wildcard, to get beaten again.

Why do I think this? Because this would provide the necessary 'excuse' that would allow the coaches a 'free pass' , Arthur gets his new stadium, etc..It would maintain the 'status quo'. One thing I know about Atlanta Sports: always expect the 'status quo'. Or at least bet on it. :wink:

(I hate to be a debbie downer. But full disclosure: I said we wouldn't make the playoffs last year and I was dead wrong. So we got that going for us, which is nice...)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:18 am 

http://falcfans.com/ultimate-2012-predictions-6387

11-5, win NFC South, beat Eagles in Round 1 of the playoffs, to lose to GB in 2nd round.

We'll be the 2nd to last undefeated team in the league with a 6-0 start. I'm predicting that good start because I'm hopeful that if the Falcons play up to their potential, they will be able to beat all of the teams they begin the season with. I don't expect them to roll by any means, as it wouldn't surprise me if all of those wins come down to 1-score games.

But I'm hopeful if this team is ready to take that next step as a team, particularly with their ability to beat playoff-caliber teams on the road, then they should not have a major issue winning a game until they play Philly.

I say that also noting that earlier predictions had me predicting the Falcons starting the season 4-2 with potential losses to KC, SD, or Carolina...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think they win 10 this year, though anything between 9 and 12 wouldn't surprise me. I think the defense will be improved and Ryan is certainly playing better in preseason, but I'm not sold on the offensive line allowing the team to drastically open things up.

I'm cautiously optimistic that they will win a playoff game or two, but I don't think they'll make the Super Bowl.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:33 pm 
Starter
Starter

The Falcons go 9-7 and miss the playoffs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:39 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I'd say either 11-5 or 12-4 are good predictions if the Falcons play up to full potential this season. We've only won less than 10 games once under the Smith/Ryan era, and the one time we won less than 10, Matt Ryan missed two games due to injury.

The only way this is achievable though, is if this team has improved it's play on the road as we don't have back to back home games all season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I see the Falcons in the 10-6 or 9-7 range and will need some help to get into the playoffs. It's hard to be a passing team when your left tackle resembles an orange pylon. Smitty has to trust in Koetner and can't pressure this offense to go back to the ground and pound.

The defense is where I'm concerned the most. I am hoping that Nolan can pull a rabbit out of his hat. If we are a top ten defense, we are in the playoffs. Outside the top 15, we re out. The 11-15 range we will need help getting in.....