All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PFW Audibles: "Matt Ryan is a Top 10 QB"
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:14 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Insider: Browns will be looking for QB in year or two

Posted Aug. 26, 2012 @ 2:09 p.m. ET
By PFW staff

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• “The biggest problem with Cleveland right now is that they burned high picks on two quarterbacks and still don’t have one. (Brandon) Weeden is 28. By the time he cuts his teeth, he will be 32, so you have to start looking at another guy in the next year or two. That means they are going to spend another (early) pick on a quarterback when they could have gotten another difference maker instead. Who are their receivers? They don’t have anyone that scares me. That doesn’t make the job any easier.”

• “You want to know what is wrong with (ex-Panthers ORT) Jeff Otah? He never really played football. He does not know how to handle pain. He got hurt when he was at Pitt in one of the games I was at, and you would have thought his leg got amputated. He was screaming like a child, and it turned out to be a sprained knee or some mild injury. We had him in for a visit too, and he was staring off into space. … He needs it to be kept simple. Someone will pick him up because he is still young and tackles are so hard to find.”

• “I think Matt Ryan is a top-10 quarterback. You have the usual suspects — Eli (Manning), (Tom) Brady, Peyton (Manning), (Drew) Brees and (Aaron) Rodgers, but who is the next group? Cam (Newton) is on the rise. (Ben) Roethlisberger is legit. Ryan is as good as (Jay) Cutler and (Philip) Rivers. I am not a (Joe) Flacco fan — I think he’s a panic guy — but he is getting a little better and has become more confident with his game. The Jets don’t have a quarterback. They probably should have taken (Josh) Freeman when they took the boy from USC (Mark Sanchez). As soon as they put word out that he is the ‘Sanchize,’ he started to slide. That is why they got (Tim) Tebow in there — they don’t have a quarterback. The boy from Detroit (Matthew Stafford) is coming on, but I’d still take Ryan over him and a lot of other guys.”

• “Who do the Panthers have at receiver besides Steve Smith? He is on his way down. They need someone to open up the inside. Brandon LaFell is just a guy. Louis Murphy can run, but he cannot catch.”

• “What’s difficult for these rookie quarterbacks coming into the league now when they are being thrust into the lineup — rookies can’t be leaders. No one listens to them. Name a rookie who came in and was a certified leader. Unless you’re talking about (John) Elway or (Dan) Marino, halfway through the season when they can get the team to start believing, there are not many capable (of doing that). All the vets tell them — ‘shut up and play the game; you have not done anything yet.’ It’s hard to lead when you have not done anything.”

• “How many offensive linemen are legitimate leaders? Playmakers are not going to follow linemen. When you think about it, there are not many defensive linemen (who are leaders). It’s not often that a dynamic guy like Reggie White comes along. Mario Williams is not a leader like that. He’s not a talker. Even with the Giants — Jason Pierre-Paul is their best rusher and you don’t hear him talking — he is just slamming guys in the cold tub. Osi (Umenyiora) and (Justin) Tuck talk (but) I think it was forced upon them by (Michael) Strahan. Strahan was a leader. Even guys like Orlando Pace and Willie Roaf — two of the best (offensive tackles) ever — they led by example.”

• “If someone can play, they will get another chance. The reason people are interested in Chad Johnson is because they will tune in to see the train wreck. He has done himself more damage than good in football with his personality. If you sign him, you have the backlash from woman’s groups to deal with. He needs a stable coach with a successful team and strong locker room to take a chance, not a dysfunctional organization. You think a lot of teams would not have liked to have had Michael Vick? They did not want to deal with the negative press coverage, but once he threw a TD in Philly, the animal-rights activists started to fade.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: PFW Audibles: "Matt Ryan is a Top 10 QB"
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:13 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'd take Stafford over Ryan in a second..... Ryan probably is a top 10 Qb and will probably stay right there as new and better athletes come in every year.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:50 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Ryan is a better option than Stafford at this point for one simple reason... Ryan stays on the field. Stafford has missed about half of the games that he's been available to play. That's not good.

If Stafford can stay healthy, he can be among the top 5 QBs in the NFL, if not, the top 3. But he has to stay healthy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:17 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Of course Ryan is a top 10 QB. He is not elite, but he is damn good. list the guys above him and right below him and it becomes a little obvious.

Brady
Rogers
Brees
Manning
Manning
Rothlesburger (or whatever)

then who is better?

Maybe Stafford but noone else. That puts him at #7 or #8. I think that is top 10.

If you wanted to argue, then you could look at who is behind him.
Rivers
Cutler
Newton (maybe but I dont think it will work out that way in the end)
Romo
Vick
Flacco
Freeman
Sanchez

You may could argue, but not for long. They all have a fatal flaw. The key to the best (top 3-4) is they do not have that fatal flaw. You never have to worry about it popping up and biting you in the ass. You just trust that they will win when they have the ball in their hands.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:30 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He's a top third QB. We're a top third team. Not really anything new here, is there? Not anything to get to excited about either.