It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fixing the OL?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:57 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.rantsports.com/atlanta-falco ... -be-fixed/

The big talk in Flowery Branch coming out of the 2011 season, and all the way into the 2012 free agent signings and draft, was that the Atlanta Falcons had to upgrade on offensive line, in particular at left tackle and right guard. It was the Achilles Heel of the 2011 season in so many ways, and there was everything but a gold-stamped guarantee given from the team that the problem would be addressed.

So here the Falcons sit after three preseason games, for all practical purposes, looking just about the same in not only performance but in personnel on the O-line as they did last season.

I’m sorry, did I miss the part where Sam Baker suddenly learned how to pass protect and stay healthy? Did guard/tackle Garrett Reynolds suddenly get blessed with Juggernaut‘s mutant abilities? (For you non-comic book fans, he’s one of the X-Men)

No, it’s same story-different chapter from what I’ve seen. The right side of the line still has absolutely no push when it comes to moving back defensive linemen on a running play, and the left tackle position is still a huge crevasse for defensive ends to slip through.

The Falcons two draft picks on offensive line – C/G Peter Konz and OT Lamar Holmes – have been notoriously absent. Konz hasn’t been bad, but he certainly hasn’t lived up to the expectations of someone who was slated to come in and make a huge difference from the opening gun. Holmes, when not injured, has had issues with his footwork, and in grasping the blocking schemes and assignments.

The fact is that with the season ending injury to OT Will Svitek, the Atlanta Falcons offensive line is just one more injury away from being a swinging gate for defensive linemen to push open at will.

What if the Falcons lose center Todd McClure, who’s body may not make it through another 16 game season, or what if RT Tyson Clabo were to go down? What has been a makeshift line would then turn into a scramble just to find enough warm bodies to throw out there.

There simply hasn’t been any signs to show that this offensive line can be fixed. Nobody is really stepping up, and as each games has progressed, that unit has become more and more painful to watch.

Atlanta missed some opportunities in the free agent market to land some big name, big time, big bodied veteran NFL offensive linemen – and that may cost them dearly.

Post subject: Re: fixing the OL?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:33 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't want to sound like too much of a broken record with the anti-TD talk. But as I've said several times over the past several months, the issues we seem to have up front are entirely of the Falcons own making based around decisions they've made over the past few years.

I too have no real faith in this year's line. It's the same line we started for the first 6 games last year, and I don't buy this BS that Pat Hill has taught them technical/fundamental things that Paul Boudreau taught them. This scapegoating of Boudreau is ridiculous, as if that guy didn't produce some of the better lines we've seen in the league over the past decade or so at various times.

It's the same line of BS they fed us when we first hired Tim Lewis to be the secondary coach. Oh, he's going to fix the fundamental stuff that was lacking with the DBs before. Did he really do that? I don't think so.

I hope I'm wrong about the line, but fool me once, fool me twice, that old chestnut...

http://youtu.be/eKgPY1adc0A

BTW, this will never get old. If I'm lucky enough to be alive in 2067, it will still be hilarious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

WELL I've been as High on Thomas D. as anyone but Fun Gus has summed up everything in his report he found. This line Sucks!! Am I now suppose to champion
Justin Blalock as our best blocker, and Claybo is already getting slower and getting beat around his corner. Its a good thing we don't have to run the ball, but not running the ball is as bad as not passing.... I'm imaging the chaos when teams bring blitzes;
and wait on our screens.

I also think this Offensive line just looks slow and sluggish.

Perhaps I've been looking for a reason to stop buying tickets and 7-9 0r 6-10 will do it!!
I predict 6-10 for the season because we will have injuries; and this team does not want to go through a grilling season, their ready for the playoffs that will never come!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:57 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Perhaps I've been looking for a reason to stop buying tickets and 7-9 0r 6-10 will do it!!

:down: