It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How many F-ing Fullers are there?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:41 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Top Class of 2013 CB Fuller commits to Virginia Tech

The Hokies land one of the country's best defenders.
Dave Miller
July 29, 2012, 01:35 PM EST

Kendall Fuller, one of the top uncommitted defensive prospects in the Class of 2013, has given his verbal pledge to Virginia Tech.

The Our Lady of Good Counsel High School (Olney, MD) cornerback, who will play in the U.S. Army All American Bowl in January, chose the Hokies after a visit to Blacksburg. He was also heavily considering Clemson as well, as prep teammate Dorian O'Daniel will play for the Tigers and head coach Dabo Swinney.

One of the top cornerbacks in the country, the 5-11, 190-pounder made 26 tackles and had three interceptions on defense while catching 26 passes for 527 yards and five touchdowns on offense as a junior. Maryland, Alabama, Michigan, and Tennessee were also recently considered finalists.

Many Terrapin fans were hoping that Fuller would follow in the footsteps of former teammate Stefon Diggs and play in College Park. Instead, he will go to a program that landed commitments from his three older brothers, including cornerback Kyle Fuller and wide receiver Corey Fuller. Vincent Fuller was drafted by the Tennessee Titans in 2005.

Fuller is the program's most heralded recruit since possibly running back Kevin Jones roughly a decade ago.

Email dave.miller@nationalfootballpost.com or follow me on Twitter at Miller_Dave

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How many F-ing Fullers are there?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Tyrod and Macho Harris was 5*'s, but they're right its not like tech's signs a ton (maybe one 5* every couple years, which is why their overall team success is so impressive). I already consider Kyle Fuller the best player on the team, so grabbing the final sibling is huge. He's widely regarded as having the most potential, and if he turns out better than Kyle :pray: then oh boy. Oldest bro Vincent Fuller playing in the nfl and vt. 2nd oldest bro Corey is a walk on wr this year at tech. The best part is he picked us over Dabo, that would have been a double whammy. His quote was simple, in that he felt like being a DB, if he simply worked hard and let the tech coaches "coach" him up, then he couldn't go wrong. I think that was a fair assessment.

Post subject: Re: How many F-ing Fullers are there?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:42 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Minutes after Kendall Fuller picked Virginia Tech over Clemson on Sunday, I tweeted that the cornerback became the first five-star commitment for the Hokies since Tyrod Taylor since 2007.

Immediately, everyone thought I had missed Logan Thomas. Not true. Thomas was a four-star tight end prospect by Rivals in 2009. (Thomas was a five-star by Scout.com, so that might have been the source of the confusion. I meant a consensus five-star recruit.)

Ryan Williams? Nope. Four-star in 2008. And if Thomas and Williams weren’t five-star recruits (at least by Rivals’ rankings), it shows you just how rare it is that Virginia Tech lands one.

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

So I’ll use this post just to try to put some things in perspective about Fuller’s commitment (and yes, I realize how far off recruiting rankings can be over time, but I’m doing it anyway).

Fuller is the fourth consensus five-star commitment for the Hokies since 2002, when it appears as though Rivals first began using its star system. The others are Taylor (’07), cornerback Macho Harris (’05) and Marcus Vick (’02). Running back Kevin Jones was the top overall recruit in the country by Rivals and several outlets in 2001, although I think that pre-dates the star rating system.