It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: COMBINE!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:shock: :shock: I knew David Wilson was a RARE athlete, but whooooooooooooooa. 21 backflips in a row anyone (nicely called out PierrePaul fwiw)? Man if he can develop any vision/patience :snooty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLUHG2mW ... ata_player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Oh and 13 in a row w/ no freakin' hands, and some other sorta flip I've never even seen before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80qbfhxm ... ure=relmfu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:35 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

:clap:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Doubt we go here b/c of the filter, but Hosley failed the combine d-test, will be dropping like a rock from originally being around a 3rd round projection. Dude has 1-2nd round talent, but is obviously very stupid. Less than good metrics, over the top recovery speed/ball skills. Someones gonna get a steal in the 4-5th +, maybe much later imo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pretty high praise, esp if they can beat some patience/vision into his running style...

Quote:
Giants OC Kevin Gilbride had high praise for first-round RB David Wilson's explosiveness at this week's minicamp.
"I don't know if we've had a guy as explosive, regardless of the position, here ... darting, the exposiveness in short bursts," said Gilbride. "He's got some excitement that I don't know if we've had that kind of guy. In this guy you've got the kind of explosion that I'm not sure how many guys in the league have." Wilson is a more talented runner than Ahmad Bradshaw, but he's going to have to polish his passing-game skills before threatening for the starting job down the road.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:30 pm 

The good thing for Wilson is that as the Giants did with Bradshaw before him, they aren't going to thrust him into the fire right away. They don't really need him to be more than a situational back at the beginning, which means they can develop him slowly and at his own pace. It's called depth building, and it's something the Giants have done a good job of doing over the years.

Contrast that to the Falcons, and the minute they get a decent rookie prospect they remove any obstacle in front of him that will keep him off the field. With the Giants method, if/when guys do develop, they typically become really good players once they get extended reps on the field. Bradshaw himself is a good example, another one is Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, and seemingly with Prince Amukamara.

The Falcons method tends to get subpar play from their young guys early on, which can actually hurt the team rather than help it. Corey Peters is a good example of that. The same could be said of Julio Jones and potentially Bradie Ewing, with how having kept a veteran on the roster (e.g. Jenkins & Ovie) the team could have filled in the gaps where the young guy was not performing well and got more consistent production from those spots.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:14 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The good thing for Wilson is that as the Giants did with Bradshaw before him, they aren't going to thrust him into the fire right away. They don't really need him to be more than a situational back at the beginning, which means they can develop him slowly and at his own pace. It's called depth building, and it's something the Giants have done a good job of doing over the years.

Totally agree, which is why I think he's got a great chance to develop well. Perpetual competition and layered depth, we can dream can't we buddy :pray: !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:02 pm 

People tend to forget that back in '07, Bradshaw was in fact the 4th string RB for the Giants, behind Jacobs, Derrick Ward, and Reuben Droughns. Ward got hurt, and then Droughns stepped up to be the #2 guy behind Jacobs. But then injuries hit Jacobs late in the year, and the Giants decided to start to get Bradshaw into the mix who was limited almost exclusively to ST until Week 11. Then Bradshaw had that big game in Week 15 with that 151 yard game and was a big factor on their playoff run alongside Jacobs, and from there he has slowly grown from there into a bigger factor in the offense. Because even the next year, he was a guy that really only got about 5-8 carries per game. And then in '09, it was 10-15. Then in 2010, it was 15-20 and now he's their lead back.

My expectation for Wilson is that he'll get as much as he can handle. If he's not ready, then they have D.J. Ware to rely on who has been decent in limited action. They also have Andre Brown and Da'Rel Scott, two pretty solid guys that haven't played a lot. Wilson is more talented than all of those guys, and he'll play if he shows that. And if he doesn't, then one of those three guys should emerge through competition to be a decent to solid No. 2. Brown was a guy that they had high hopes for when they drafted him in the 4th in '09. They cut him 2 years ago, and now have brought him back.

I personally would have loved to see that happen this off-season here in Atlanta. Where we had cut Turner (if he refused the paycut), and brought in a couple of veterans to potentially replace him, and have them alongside Quizz and Snelling competing for the job, with the idea that the best man plays. Had it been me, I probably would have signed Peyton Hillis and LaDainian Tomlinson with the idea that while Quizz probably is close to a lock to make the roster, there is no guarantee that he might not be 3rd/4th on the depth chart despite that fact if he doesn't prove himself in camp.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
My expectation for Wilson is that he'll get as much as he can handle.

Indeed. The thing I keep hearing them question with him, is his hands/receiving ability as the gmen screen game so much. But.....a little known fact is that David Wilson had the best hands on the team (minus maybe Danny Coale) last year, tech just doesn't throw hardly any screens. But that whirling dervish td throw Tyrod made against Stanford two years ago was a diving Wilson catch. This is what killed me with him a tech, b/c tech wouldn't scheme him into space, to let that world class acceleration do its thing. Him in legit space = TD.

Quote:
I personally would have loved to see that happen this off-season here in Atlanta. Where we had cut Turner (if he refused the paycut), and brought in a couple of veterans to potentially replace him, and have them alongside Quizz and Snelling competing for the job, with the idea that the best man plays. Had it been me, I probably would have signed Peyton Hillis and LaDainian Tomlinson with the idea that while Quizz probably is close to a lock to make the roster, there is no guarantee that he might not be 3rd/4th on the depth chart despite that fact if he doesn't prove himself in camp.

Yeah I would have done this too, but swapped maybe Tolbert for Hillis (sorta concerned at whatever happened with Hillis in Cle last year where they basically gave up on him, and he accepted it, but was explained away as weird injuries), and then drafted a project at the appropriate draft price. Either way don't be complacent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:56 pm 

I think Wilson is going to be fine in terms of the passing game. He wasn't the most polished pass protector at Tech, but he has the capacity to be a good blocker. If he can pick up the protections, he'll be fine. But they are in a position where he won't need to be early on because Bradshaw (among the best pass protectors in the league), and Hynoski and Ware can pick up the slack if need be. But I think he'll be fine.

And you're right about his potential in the screen game. When he gets out on the edge, he's extremely dangerous.

Like I said in my scouting report, the biggest issue for him is going to be whether or not the coaches trust him. It's about ball security and whether he can be disciplined both as a runner and pass protector. I think the latter he should be Ok with fairly early. The ball security is the key concern. The positive thing for the Giants however is they've dealt with that in the past before with Tiki Barber, and so know how to address it.

I think Wilson is a boom/bust guy as a rookie. And I mean bust in the sense that he might not contribute a ton as a rookie similar to Ray Rice and LeSean McCoy. But I think by Year 2, once he gets his feet under him he could be really special similar to those guys. Or he'll boom and be able to hit the ground running right away and he'll be one of the top rookies this season and become a poor man's Chris Johnson right off the bat. Either way, at some point in the next 2-3 years, he should be an excellent RB for the Giants. And what makes it sort of worse (if you're not a Giants fan) is that Bradshaw is only 26, which means that they could still get another 2-3 good years out of him before they really ever have to turn the keys over to Wilson.

Profile E-mail