It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are we going to get a tall inside receiver or 2nd TE?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:52 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Before the season starts? It makes a huge difference.

Here's the Saints on their big guy receiver. The good passing teams keep collecting them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/saints-dra ... --nfl.html

2nd TE, tall interior WR, featureback who can catch. That's when you have the full offense. Not until then. Any chance we'll get one or two of these guys?

Post subject: Re: Are we going to get a tall inside receiver or 2nd TE?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:27 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Before the regular season starts, possibly. Before training camp, probably not.

Given the Falcons normal MO, they will likely allow the young guys (Winterswyk, Gallarda, & Nissley) to compete and if they feel they need to make a move, they will do so midway through August. And even if so, my expectation will be that'll be another mid-level veteran similar to Reggie Kelly that can function primarily as a blocker.

As for the No. 4 WR, the Falcons appear to be looking for a replacement for Eric Weems, and likely will give guys like UDFAs Cody Pearcy, James Rodgers a chance to win the KOR duties. And if Kerry Meier or Kevin Cone step up and make real strides on offense they could potentially fill that spot. But no, I don't think we'll make any changes there unless there are injuries, or the KO return situation looks dire. And even then it's probably just going to be a guy like a Courtney Roby to serve primarily as a KOR.

It's a much easier pill to swallow when you just accept incompetence. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:38 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:
Before the regular season starts, possibly. Before training camp, probably not.

Given the Falcons normal MO, they will likely allow the young guys (Winterswyk, Gallarda, & Nissley) to compete and if they feel they need to make a move, they will do so midway through August. And even if so, my expectation will be that'll be another mid-level veteran similar to Reggie Kelly that can function primarily as a blocker.

As for the No. 4 WR, the Falcons appear to be looking for a replacement for Eric Weems, and likely will give guys like UDFAs Cody Pearcy, James Rodgers a chance to win the KOR duties. And if Kerry Meier or Kevin Cone step up and make real strides on offense they could potentially fill that spot. But no, I don't think we'll make any changes there unless there are injuries, or the KO return situation looks dire. And even then it's probably just going to be a guy like a Courtney Roby to serve primarily as a KOR.

It's a much easier pill to swallow when you just accept incompetence. :wink:

I'm leaning that way after the last two offseasons. Just disappoints me since it was the first regime I thought finally "got it."

They just obviously need a 6'2ish inside guy, who can go outside if there's an injury. Right now, with injury, we have Roddy, HD, Meier. Wheeee. The good passing teams keep 5 deep at receiver (GB, NO, NE) for a reason.

I truly think this can be a legit top 5 offense with the seam busting TE, the lanky in the middle receiver, and a back who can catch.

Otherwise, we run basically a 2 WR, 1 slow TE attack. Very simple to defend. That only really works if the QB is a time buyer and/or excellent deep ball thrower. Hmmmmm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:57 pm 

It all boils down to Koetter and play design/calling. The Falcons personnel alone probably isn't going to challenge defenses at least in the sense that top offenses seem to really make it very hard to match up.

The good thing for Koetter and the Falcons this year, is that because of a new play-caller, you can't exactly grandfather in your previous gameplans for the Falcons, or the ones from the Jags and thus it gives the Falcons somewhat an advantage through the early portion of the season.

I do think the Falcons can put 4 WRs (Jones, White, Douglas, and Gonzo) that can really challenge teams if used correctly with a steady mix of complementary route design that can make teams pay for putting one of those guys on an island. I think that Falcons offense could really be opened up if they were to acquire another vertical threat. THat's why a TE like Fleener or Allen could have been great for the Falcons, or another outside threat that can help stretch the defense (Manningham-type) which would be more valuable than Douglas as the slot receiver because Douglas range is so limited.

But we knew that the Falcons offense wasn't going to reach its full potential at least passing-wise this year, when they decided to keep Michael Turner. That's why I'm not disappointed at all by the draft. The lack of moves was telegraphed back in February. We'll see what happens next year...

Our depth is thin right now, unless Kerry Meier makes the necessary strides and becomes Brian Finneran, or Kevin Cone takes a big step forward like Domenik Hixon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:26 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:
It all boils down to Koetter and play design/calling. The Falcons personnel alone probably isn't going to challenge defenses at least in the sense that top offenses seem to really make it very hard to match up.

The good thing for Koetter and the Falcons this year, is that because of a new play-caller, you can't exactly grandfather in your previous gameplans for the Falcons, or the ones from the Jags and thus it gives the Falcons somewhat an advantage through the early portion of the season.

I do think the Falcons can put 4 WRs (Jones, White, Douglas, and Gonzo) that can really challenge teams if used correctly with a steady mix of complementary route design that can make teams pay for putting one of those guys on an island. I think that Falcons offense could really be opened up if they were to acquire another vertical threat. THat's why a TE like Fleener or Allen could have been great for the Falcons, or another outside threat that can help stretch the defense (Manningham-type) which would be more valuable than Douglas as the slot receiver because Douglas range is so limited.

But we knew that the Falcons offense wasn't going to reach its full potential at least passing-wise this year, when they decided to keep Michael Turner. That's why I'm not disappointed at all by the draft. The lack of moves was telegraphed back in February. We'll see what happens next year...

Our depth is thin right now, unless Kerry Meier makes the necessary strides and becomes Brian Finneran, or Kevin Cone takes a big step forward like Domenik Hixon.

Agree mainly. I still think that 4 receiver set is nowhere near as effective without a RB who can pound it inside AND be a threat to catch...he's the one that keeps guys honest. Also agree with the outside threat aspect...if you're going to be HD's size, you need to be Mike Wallace fast.

I'm still stuck in the offense that would have been if they'd dropped Turner/Mughelli and beefed up the OL in FA. Then they could have taken RB, Allen, Toon (or a number of other variants with a better receiver) type combo and pretty much been there.

But, like you, I didn't expect a lot out of the draft (and almost decided not to watch) when I realized in FA they weren't going to take advantage of an opportune time to transition. That would have been fun to see, though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:10 pm 

You know who'd be a great pickup by the Falcons, but unfortunately his durability issues could prevent him from playing again: Johnny Knox.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:04 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I may scour the FAs just to see. A Knox type...really any legit receiver, as the 4th here, would really aid the team. Any guy who can move outside and let Julio play the slot (as we both said last year) would increase the versatility a lot.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:57 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If our front office is incompetent; then the other 25 teams have front offices that s*** all over their buildings (:

From hero to zero; its the American way even if people don't know what their talking about!!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:58 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Cyril wrote:
If our front office is incompetent; then the other 25 teams have front offices that s*** all over their buildings (:

From hero to zero; its the American way even if people don't know what their talking about!!

There are only about 10 good FO's in all of football. If that's what you were getting at, you're correct.