It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lets get Dwight Freeney while we're at it!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Lets give up a 6 and offer him the same contract we gave Samuels----Oh yea for cap reasons Turner will go. cf

The Internet is buzzing with old news today: The Indianapolis Colts want to trade Dwight Freeney.

Fans are all a twitter because Peter King announced on Monday that the Colts would love to get a pick for Freeney.

The rest of the world should respond with a collective, "Well, duh!"

Despite Ryan Grigson's assurances that Dwight Freeney is a Colt, everyone who has been paying attention has known for some time that keeping him is not viable:

Freeney is old and in the final year of his contract.
Freeney will make a massive base salary in 2012.
Freeney has no natural position in the new Indianapolis defense.

No matter what rationalizations the Colts try to pass off, there's zero question that he'll be off the roster by opening day. It makes no sense for the team to pay him $14 million next year to play out of position for a team that will likely lose double-digit games.

There is simply no market for expensive veteran players. Fans dream of first- or second-round picks for aging stars, but as Mike Florio rightly pointed out, Asante Samuel netted Philly a seventh-round pick.

If the Colts do move Freeney this weekend, it will likely be for a late third-day pick. Anything more than the draft equivalent of a bus token, loose change and a tic tac would be a major score for the Colts.

The Colts' best chance to get maximum value for Freeney is to trade him before training camp for a pick in the 2013 draft.

The Colts are desperate to unload the huge contract, and everyone knows it. Even if they hadn't already unsuccessfully shopped him, everyone would still know it.

I don't expect Freeney to be a Colt next year, but I do expect him to be a Colt next weekend.

Post subject: Re: Lets get Dwight Freeney while we're at it!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Jesus Falcon fans want to make all these moves now that they made one interesting move. Absolutely not with this trade, I want to get some young prospects.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:37 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Emmitt wrote:
Jesus Falcon fans want to make all these moves now that they made one interesting move. Absolutely not with this trade, I want to get some young prospects.

I agree with this. Freeny is a great player, no doubt, but quite honestly with his huge cap number in 2012 I'm not sure if we could afford it, especially after the Samuel deal, odds are it will need to be a 5th or 6th round pick, with that pick I'd much rather draft a young DE (or whatever other position) and develop them and have them for potentially 10 years, instead of basically a rent-a-player in Freeny.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well in the last few years we've rented a lot!! Tony G. stayed longer than expected; same with Turner; but we had
Grady Jackson a few years, Lawyer Milloy,Ed Hartwell; and too many others to mention.....

As for drafting most of them seem rented too.... Jamaal Anderson, Peria Jerry, our back-up linemen; obviously going through the draft is the way most teams go; AND on Dwight Freeney I said we might could offer him what we did Samules....nobody
will pay him what the Colts won't pay either.....

I'm just looking to get good players cheap...... In the draft their cheap but not so good!!

I won't be able to win this debate so I won't try.... Everyone is hung up on the "way it is" and don't look back far enough to see the other possibilities!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I'm with Cyril on this one. I think the window of opportunity is right now with the current group we've collected. In a couple years, we're probably going to see renovations to this team, so making the effort to get a quality player that could help us greatly right now would be huge. How would you be mortgaging the future if it costs you nothing/next to nothing for the player? I would rather have a guy like Umeniora (sp?) than Freeney, but I know he would cost a lot more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:45 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The argument against it jagstang76, is that while Freeney can bring lots of short-term value like many of the veteran players on the roster, his value is going to be very short-lived. In a year, maybe two, you're going to be looking to move on. And the roster spot that Freeney or a similar veteran takes up on the team, is one that otherwise would be filled by some young, hopefully promising young stud. That young stud may or may not work out, but at least if he does, he has the potential to contribute for 4, 5, 6, or more years. While Freeney and the like only contribute for 1-2. So that if/when those guys are done 3 years from now, your roster is devoid of talent because you couldn't use quality picks to fill those spots, but instead had to settle for a late pick/undrafted free agent/cheap veteran.

That's the issue with this. Too many of the Falcons playmakers only have a few more years left in the league. The window is closing but by continuing to go down that path, you're only making the margin for error a lot smaller.

Profile E-mail