It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Colt McCoy on the block
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:06 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... -cleveland

If we could send a conditional 6th or 7th round pick to Cleveland for McCoy, it's a phone call I'd make.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Colt McCoy on the block
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:10 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828a9842/article/colt-mccoy-on-the-way-out-of-cleveland

If we could send a conditional 6th or 7th round pick to Cleveland for McCoy, it's a phone call I'd make.

I'd give the 7th compensatory pick, but didn't we ink Redman? Do we just eat that salary, or does it come off the books?

Or, would this spell doom for the Dreamboat?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:30 am 

Well, you can't trade compensatory picks.

Most of you know my stance on Redman. And if you don't, let's just say I'm very nonplussed.

I like Colt McCoy, and I think he got a raw deal by the Browns, because they gave him almost no supporting cast to work with. I want a No. 2 QB that believes he is a starting QB in the league. That player is not Chris Redman.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:38 am 

I'd take McCoy for a late round pick in a heart beat.

I would imagine at the end of his contract he'll bolt for a team where he has a chance to start though. McCoy has 2 years left on his deal?

Not a bad idea... Better than Redman without question and we'd be looking for a backup QB in the next year or two anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:39 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Well, you can't trade compensatory picks.

Most of you know my stance on Redman. And if you don't, let's just say I'm very nonplussed.

I like Colt McCoy, and I think he got a raw deal by the Browns, because they gave him almost no supporting cast to work with. I want a No. 2 QB that believes he is a starting QB in the league. That player is not Chris Redman.

But does JPW think HE is? :shock:

I'd get McCoy, and send JPW packing and let Redman be the 'oh sh*t' 3rd option. We already paid him a one year deal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:55 am 

That's a valid plan. I like the Dreamboat, but I'm ready to move on. He hasn't shown the growth over the past 3 years that I want to see in a future No. 2.

Don't know the details of Redman's deal, but if it's true that it's only $825,000 deal, that means we gave him no signing bonus. Which means we can cut him, and all of that salary comes off the books. If we keep him, only $540,000 of that counts against the salary cap.

From what I could find on McCoy's contract, his cap hit this year is about $678K. Next year, due to escalators he hit earlier in the deal (by being the Browns starter), his cap hit in 2013 will jump to $1.34 million.

So in this completely hypothetical situation where McCoy is a Falcon, you play him under his current deal for 2012, and if you like what you see, then you re-do the deal. If not, then you can still keep him for a lot cheaper than the normal price of a #2 QB. For example, in the previous deal we gave to Redman in 2010, he counted $3 million against our cap in that year.

It's a win-win. If you get McCoy and he happens to be an upgrade at the No. 2 spot, then you have a quality backup for Matt Ryan for the next 3 or 4 years potentially. If not, then you gave up next to nothing to get him. And if he happens to be really good, then maybe you can deal him for a 3rd or 4th round pick down the line to another team.

To me, this same strategy would also apply to Greg McElroy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:11 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

The only possible 'downside' I can see to getting McCoy is if Ryan struggles early, or gets hurt, and McCoy does a better job then you've created a possible controversy. If Redman goes in and does better, no one is going to think he is 'starter quality'....

BUt the positives outwiegh the negatives here. Were going to have to address this QB depth issue either now, or next year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:55 pm 

Chris Redman turns 35 in July, and has done his best job to collect enough money in recent years to have a nice retirement playing golf and the like. The Falcons have basically given him $11.5 million over the past 4 years. A great deal for a guy that has really not had to put in a lot of work on the job.

The QB controversy I wouldn't be worried about. McCoy needs to play in a dink and dunk spread offense. He's mobile and athletic, but he has more questions about his arm strength than Ryan does. In order for that potential QB controversy to occur, I think you're going to have to see this team make a major change to their offensive scheme that some of us have been calling for.

But even without those changes, I think the reason why you like McCoy is that he's smart, confident, and truly believes that he's a starting QB in this league. Chris Redman just isn't built that way, dating back to his days in Baltimore. He doesn't have that internal drive that makes him embrace the challenge of being a starting QB. McCoy does, which is an essential intangible quality you need in a QB.

And I think that's ideally what you want in a No. 2 QB. It's not going to guarantee success, but if/when McCoy hits the field, he's going to do his best to create a QB controversy. I never got that sense from Redman. He was content with mediocrity. Hold the job, and then go back to the bench and get paid to do nothing.

If McCoy gets an opportunity and manages to outplay Matt Ryan to a level where there is a legit QB controversy, then I don't really see that as a bad thing. If that happens, then you have a Vick-Schaub situation. But unlike that situation, you're not going to deal one, and then the other is going to go to jail and leave you with nothing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't buy this move, as Colt would be unhappy in a place where he has no chance of starting. He will jump ship asap, or could be a cancer in the locker room.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:41 pm 

Valid points Dave, although disagree as the locker room cancer. He's not built that way. And given how much trust the team has in Matt Ryan within the locker room, if McCoy comes in and starts to make trouble, he'll be instantly ostracized, and therefore have ZERO impact on the locker room chemistry because he'll be largely ignored.

As for bolting as soon as posisble, that's a possibility. But that boils down to opportunity. He's a free agent after 2013 (like Ryan), and he'll only bolt if the opportunity is there. If the Falcons like him as the backup and are offering him a 2-yr. $5 million deal, and nobody else is offering him an opportunity to be a starter, then why wouldn't he accept the Falcons offer?

And if in the meantime, he proves to be a better No. 2 QB than Chris Redman, then I ask again what is the downside of getting 2 years as a backup out of a 25-year old QB with the arrow pointing up rather than a 35-year old with the arrow clearly pointing down? If McCoy moves on, what did you give up? A 6th or 7th? Why isn't that worth it?

For the record, there's not a chance in hell it'll happen, but I'm just trying to explain the logic of why it could be a good move.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:31 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I like Colt as an NFL QB. I mean I really, really like him. I truely believe he IS a potential franchise QB (I thought he was 10x better than Clausen coming out). He was given the rawest of raw deals with the Browns. The throw him out there with next to no help on the offensive side of the ball (besides a rather solid OL) and expected magic to happen. I didn't get a chance to watch to many Browns games this season, but when I did, I saw flashes of brilliance in McCoy, I don't know how many times I saw him hit wide open WRs in the hands only to have them drop the ball (that TNF game vs PITT it must've happened 5-10 times atleast), he isn't a 'make the receivers better' kind of QB like Brady, Brees or either Manning.

I don't see us making a move for him, and personally I dont want us to, I truely believe he is better than being a back up, I would love to see him in a Falcon uniform, as a fan of his I'd much rather see him in a uniform that gives him a punchers chance at being a starter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:22 am 

http://www.espncleveland.com/common/mor ... st_id=1290

Browns struggle to develop an exit strategy for Colt McCoy
Jun 15, 2012 -- 6:00am

By Tony Grossi

The Morning Kickoff …

So long, Colt: “That’s football.”

Those two words stated by Browns President Mike Holmgren on Thursday pretty much size up the Colt McCoy era in Cleveland.

I can still hear McCoy saying of Holmgren, “He told me I’m his guy.” Of course, it’s the NFL, meaning Not For Long.

Let’s put Holmgren’s statement in perspective. It came at the end of a long answer to the question: Did McCoy get a fair shake last year?

Holmgren began by affirming, yes, of course, McCoy had a tough set of circumstances thrown at him. The poor guy had no supporting cast and then was unknowingly sent back into the Pittsburgh game after suffering a severe concussion. McCoy still walks around in a fog.

“Essentially, we lost our running game early on, and we had some things to deal with there,” Holmgren said. “We dropped too many passes. That’s another thing. It was hard. He got knocked around. He got banged pretty good. But a lot of times, it’s not fair. It’s not always fair.

“But what he did get, he got a chance to play a whole year. You learned how does he deal with this, and then as a coach or a teacher, then you have to take the things that I just mentioned into consideration … that it was hard, maybe harder than we thought it was going to be.

“But how did we handle it? Did we get better? Did we handle it well? Those types of things are the things that you have to answer. Be very honest about how you feel about that. That’s how you move forward, I think.

“I like Colt McCoy. I’ve made no secrets about that. I think he’s a wonderful young man, and a good football player. And if you are asking me to say was it fair last year? He had a tough go and he didn’t get as much help as I thought he was going to get. But heck, that’s football.”

Thanks for the effort.

Next.

When will it happen?: The Browns have to prepare 28-year-old rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden to open the season Sept. 9 against the Philadelphia Eagles. He will get the bulk of snaps in training camp.

So what to do about McCoy and Seneca Wallace? Wallace, who knows Holmgren better than any of the Browns, said he doesn’t see McCoy and him co-existing on the final roster.

Holmgren said “right now” the plan is not to trade or release the third wheel.

“That’s not to say we might change something, but right now, no,” he said. “Right now, they are all practicing very hard. Our quarterback position is a strong position, in my opinion.

“Something might happen as we approach training camp or during the training camp season.”

Devising an exit strategy: When Weeden was drafted, I was told by an NFL source that the Browns didn’t want to “pile on” McCoy and just release him. They were sensitive to the fact he had gotten such a raw deal already.

They would like to find McCoy a new team, a new opportunity, to spare him the ignominy of being released. They will not demand much in a trade.

“Right now, we have three quarterbacks that are going,” Holmgren said. “Between now and the time we play our first ballgame against the Eagles, I would ask you, you shouldn’t be surprised by anything. We are going to be talking to teams about a lot of different things, not just the quarterback situation. That’s what happens and then as you approach the regular season, when you get to final cutdown, there is a lot of action that takes place.

“I think you are open to listen to every phone call. You talk about stuff. If we think it’s a good thing to make the Cleveland Browns better, then we would consider it.”

My hope is that a dome-based team, or one in a sunny, warm climate, calls the Browns and offers a future conditional draft pick for McCoy. That would be best for him and the Browns.

Profile E-mail