PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

MICHAEL FLOYD
6-3/220
Notre Dame Senior
40: 4.47

PROS:

Has an excellent combo of size and athleticism. Has good speed that accelerates well off the line and into his route. Can run by corners and is a long-strider that can make plays downfield. Can be hard to jam because of his acceleration and his fluidity as an athlete to juke the corner off the line. Does a nice job on the quick slants and creates separation on the shorter routes. Has strong hands and good length, extending for high throws. Has good body control, and can adjust in midair to make the grab or avoid the hit from the safety. Does a nice job using his body and size to get position against the defender and can win in traffic. Does a good job on jump balls and back-shoulder throws. Does a nice job working the sideline as well. Is shifty after the catch and can make the quick move and make the first defender miss in space. Works well on screens and can power through arm tackles on the slants and shorter routes. Tracks the deep ball well and his ball skills and body control makes him impactful on the fade routes and in the redzone. Can be an effective punt returner because he can make the first defender miss and his speed and burst can allow him to make big plays if he can get to th edge. At times, uses his size and strength well as a blocker, able to get position in space and be physical with the corner.

CONS:

Will have lapses in concentration and drop some passes. Won't always look the ball in before making his move upfield. At times lets too many passes get into his body. Will alligator arm some throws if he hears the footsteps. Needs to do a better job getting inside position against the smaller corner on the fade route. Doesn't show consistent effort as a blocker and won't finish his blocks. Looks to deliver a blow rather than use his hands and lock on. Can get unengaged and his effort can diminish especially if he has to deal with a lot of press. After the catch, he can dance a bit too much at times. Flashes cockiness on the field at times.

OVERVIEW:

Floyd is a player that would have been the third receiver off the board a year ago had he decided to come out. But he made the decision to come back for his final year at Notre Dame, and almost immediately arrested for a DUI and suspended from the team. He was reinstated and showed a lot more maturity on the field as a senior than he did as a junior. But it was his second offense during his time at Notre Dame, his first coming after his freshman year. Despite his physical skills, Floyd is more of a finesse player than a guy that likes to mix it up. He's not soft, but you can definitely affect his play if he's facing a corner that likes to mix it up. It's why I'm not confident he'll be a true No. 1 at the next level, despite having the physical abilities of one. He's a player that was effective inside or outside and can make plays all over the field. They forced a lot of passes to him as a senior as he was their main weapon on offense, and it resulted in him not getting as many opportunities to make plays downfield as he did in previous years. Durability has been a concern, having been nicked up in every season. While he didn't miss a game as a senior, he did not work out fully at the Combine due to an injury to his right knee.

2011 GAMES WATCHED:

(9/10) at Michigan: 17 targets, 13 rec., 159 yds (12.2 avg), 93 YAC (7.1 avg), 0 TDs, 0 drops
(11/26) at Stanford: 12 tgt., 7 rec., 86 yds (12.3 avg), 15 YAC (2.1 avg), 1 TDs, 0 drops
(12/29) vs. Florida St: 10 tgt., 5 rec., 41 yds (8.2 avg), 14 YAC (2.8 avg), 1 TDs, 1 drop

CAREER STATS:

2011: 13 GP/12 GS, 100 catches, 1147 yds, 11.5 avg, 9 TDs; 2 rush att., 13 yds, 6.5 avg, 1 TD; 2 PR, 22.0 avg, 0 TDs
2010: 12/12-79-1025-13.0-12; 1-9-9.0-0
2009: 7/7-44-795-18.1-9; 1-8-8.0-0
2008: 11/10-48-719-15.0-7

- missed 1 game in 2010 due to a hamstring injury
- missed 5 games in 2009 due to a broken collarbone
- missed 2.5 games in 2008 due to a sprained left knee

NFL FORECAST:

Floyd has a lot of upside to be a talent and dynamic No. 1 receiver. But watching him play these past two years, I feel like he's more likely to become a really great No. 2, but not a guy that you want trying to carry your offense. It's not to say that he won't have top-level production, but I'm not sure he's a true No. 1, similarly to how I would not call players like Santonio Holmes, Hakeem Nicks, or Anquan Boldin true No. 1s. The player he reminds me of a lot is Braylon Edwards, because of the physical tools coupled with the finesse aspect of his game and the off-field issues. I don't think Floyd is a bad character guy, I just think he's a guy that probably needs to play for a team that is going to run a tighter ship. I think what he experienced as a senior sort of removed a lot of the entitlement that I think he and many other prominent players (Jimmy Clausen, Golden Tate) in that Notre Dame program exhibited in the past. I think like Edwards when he was in New York, if Floyd has another good receiver across from him, he'll work best. If he's the main focus of a defense's efforts, I think he'll be a bit too inconsistent. But if he has playmakers around him that can take pressure off him to be the guy every snap, I think he can potentially excel. So like Edwards in Cleveland, if he goes to a team with inconsistency at QB or shoddy skill position players, he could struggle with inconsistency. He's not going to be bad by any means, just like Edwards wasn't bad. But he's just not the guy you want to rely on to make your offense go. That is fine in college, but not in the NFL. But if he goes to a team with a pretty good QB and/or talented skill players then he can instantly be a shot in the arm to that offense. Going to a veteran team with established veteran leadership will help him. So frankly, the lower Floyd gets drafted, I think the better his NFL career will be. He's capable of being a 1000-yard receiver every year, but without a good supporting cast around him it won't translate much into a lot of wins. He should be able to contribute early in his NFL, as he's likely to produce more than your average rookie receiver. But he's probably not going to reach his peak until he reaches his third or fourth year to really polish out the kinks in his game.

NFL COMPARISON:

Braylon Edwards, ex-49ers.

ATL FORECAST:

Floyd would have made a good No. 2 opposite Roddy White had the team not found Jones last year. With Roddy being the No. 1 guy, Atlanta would have been a good situation for him where he could have shined as a complementary player, and having an establish QB like Ryan and Gonzo as well. Added to the current mix, he and/or Jones could make dynamic slot options. You'd probably put Floyd in the slot, and hope he develops into a Miles Austin type there. Floyd's presence would essentially mean the Falcons don't ever have to run the ball because it would give them three big wideouts that are all good after the catch, which doesn't even factor in guys like Gonzo and Douglas. And in the future, Floyd would take over for Roddy as the No. 2 guy to Jones and be potentially one of the better complementary No. 2s in the league similar to how Boldin was to Fitzgerald.

VALUE:

Floyd is a solid first round pick, that teams can knock a bit for being a finesse guy, his off-field and durability issues. But in the end, a playoff caliber team that picks him in the latter half of the first round could be getting a really good player. I probably wouldn't take him before that simply because it could mean he's going to a team that doesn't have the ideal environment for his skills to grow.

SKILLS:
1-pathetic, 2-poor, 3-weak, 4-below average, 5-average, 6-above average, 7-good, 8-very good, 9-excellent, 10-elite

Speed: 8.0
Hands: 7.0
After Catch: 8.0
Body Control: 8.5
Range: 8.5
Blocking: 6.5

Profile E-mail