It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: is it time yet?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
And so I'm asking you to tell me what that: "each team that beat us went on to the Super Bowl" means to you. And if doesn't mean anything beyond that, then why did you even bring it up? Because otherwise you're saying that it has meaning, but saying it's meaning doesn't go beyond a statement of fact means that it's meaningless.

It means we had the pleasure of playing some teams who were peaking at the right time. We didn't have our "A" game in any, but it might not have mattered. Not an excuse, just a fact.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Ok, Cyril I'm paranoid. :roll:

You say this:
Cyril wrote:
but the teams that beat the Falcons did go to the Super Bowl and it does mean something....

Ok I guess I don't know what the meaning of means means(: Dang, it just means we've lost three playoff games and those teams
that beat us went to the Super Bowl. Now if i was a part time poster who never backed up his claims or backed down when he thought he was right, then that would be one thing, but you know that's not true..... You've even taken it out of context again....

Quote:
Cyril first wrote" the teams that beat the Falcons did go to the Super Bowl "

Then when I see your trying to show yourself so smart and above it all I brought it down the third grade language

NO, NO, NO..........It means the teams that beat us got to go to the Championship game!! No hidden meaning, no code words,
nothing except what happened!! I didn't break it down into stats or mesh code..... I was just saying!! No losses not exceptable,
and certainly not that the Falcons are closer than they appear..... Simply pointing out we been ousted 3 times by teams that went to superbowl. They could have all been 50-0 but that's just how it turned out....

So beat me up or whatever you do when you think you've found a big opening..... If I shouldn't have said it or it was below you, I
CAN CERTAINLY LIVE WITH THAT!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:27 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

:lol: OK Cyril, I'm going to interpret that to mean that you essentially mean that statement as a statement of fact and that is playing 3 NFC CHampions is largely meaningless.

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
It means we had the pleasure of playing some teams who were peaking at the right time. We didn't have our "A" game in any, but it might not have mattered. Not an excuse, just a fact.

The problem as I see it, is that people are focusing on the first part of your statement, and not focusing on the second part which is "We didn't play our A game."

You cannot control how the other 31 teams play. And thus why every season presents new challenges. Teams that people expect to be good always disappoint (see Eagles), teams that people expect to suck always shine (see 49ers), and there are varying degrees in between.

But with the Falcons, they haven't played their A game in any one of them. And IMHO, have played progressively worse in each game, and I think people would be hard-pressed to disagree with that. And I take that as regression, and if you don't think coaching has a big part to play in that, then I don't know what to say to you...

Yet people keep trying to focus the attention on the quality of the other teams, while ignoring the only relevant thing which is the quality of the Falcons.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:12 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I think we can all agree that the Falcons must "learn how to win" in the playoffs. This means from the coaching staff on down. What gets you to the post season might not necessarily get you top the promised land. Smitty likes the conservative, keep it close and pull it out in the end approach....that really doesn't work in the playoffs. Play to win, don't play not to lose.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:11 pm 

I agree with that. Smitty's current approach IMO if you give him 10-15 years/opportunities of coaching can work once, maybe even twice over that span. That's essentially how one could sum up the careers of Bill Cowher and Tony Dungy.

But that style basically requires you to have a dominant running game and/or dominant defense, neither of which the Falcons have. So if the Falcons expect to be able to win that way this year and in the near future, then they need to go out and sign players like Ben Grubbs and Mario Williams to big $$$ contracts, and hope guys like that can be the foundation of their ability to dominate/win in the trenches.

And that's the problem here in Atlanta. You have a head coach that seemingly wants to be this "Type C" (for Conservative) team, when the GM is out there investing huge resources into a player that doesn't help you become that with Julio Jones. Those two things are mutually exclusive. This is a systemic problem that the Falcons have at the top of their organization in that their head coach & GM aren't on the same page, so this notion that the bulk of Falcons problems rests with the QB is asinine.

This is what many people that approve of the Julio Jones trade aren't quite grasping. If you're going to be this "Type C" team, then you have to be very good in the trenches. See the Steelers and Giants SB-winning teams. See a team like the 49ers and Ravens that were/are on the doorstep in recent years. And the Jones trade hurts you in that regard. Because adding a No. 2 WR and spending/wasting 4 premium picks to do so, does not help you get better in the trenches.

And the only way that move makes sense, and the only way you can make up for the value of that trade, is if you're moving away from being that type of team, say a "Type A" team that is a pass-first offense like the Saints, Patriots, Colts, Packers, '08 Cardinals, etc.

And if that is the type of team you want to be, then players like Michael Turner doesn't have significant value for your team. Julio Jones is not going to reach his potential in anything but that style of offense. One that is going to be designed to throw him the ball 10-15 times per game. Now if you were to trade Roddy White next week, he would automatically become that player. But if you want to get a good investment out of the $50M you gave Roddy 2.5 years ago, then you need both of those guys around and getting that sort of workload. And that cannot happen when you have a RB that needs 18-25 carries a game to be effective, coupled with a 3rd receiver (Gonzalez) that you're also paying that also needs touches.

All 4 of those guys CANNOT be maximized in the same offense. THat's why Turner is a black hole, because he especially doesn't complement any body. He has to be the centerpiece of the offense, because otherwise he doesn't bring anything to the table, because he's the 3rd best RB on the roster as far as the passing game goes. So for the 55-60% of the time where the Falcons aren't running the ball, he's the worst RB on the roster (Antone Smith excluded). And since you're not going to feed him 400+ carries to fill the rest of the time.

Okay, without going on for another 500 words, you get the gist of what I'm saying. It's just the tip of the iceberg of why I believe this team is "poorly run." They have no direction, they lack an anchor in which they can fall back. And if this team doesn't change what they are doing at the top, then they are going to quickly become a middle rung football team. And the sad thing about it all, is that if/when that happens, all of the blame is going to be heaped on the QB.

The same thing happened to Carson Palmer in Cincinnati. A very good player that was held back by a poorly run organization. Instead of Patriots South, unless TD gets his act together, this Falcon team is going to quickly become Bengals South.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
:lol: OK Cyril, I'm going to interpret that to mean that you essentially mean that statement as a statement of fact and that is playing 3 NFC CHampions is largely meaningless.

Again not meaningless, I'd describe to be a more of a unusual occurrence. Obviously it didn't say anything about the team because
we were pretty much killed..... I didn't even think anyone would think twice about it!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:27 am 

Cyril wrote:
Quote:

Again not meaningless, I'd describe to be a more of a unusual occurrence. Obviously it didn't say anything about the team because
we were pretty much killed..... I didn't even think anyone would think twice about it!!

I don't think it's that unusual at all. Like I said before, the Ravens have lost 4 straight times to the eventual AFC Champion. The Chargers did it as well 3 straight years from '06-'08. It happens. Granted in their cases they at least won one of their playoff games. Given that more often than ever before in NFL history that lower seeds are going to the Super Bowl, and thus have to win 3 games in order to advance, essentially in most years, any team that is in the playoffs has a 50% chance of ultimately losing to the eventual conference champion. 4 out of the past 5 years, a team without a 1st round bye won the NFC. Meaning that any of the teams that have made the playoffs in 4 of the past 5 years has had a 50% chance of losing to the eventual conference winner. It's about as unusual as flipping a coin 5 times and it managing to come up heads 3 times in a row at some point in there.

But to me, it's a fairly random trivia item as opposed to anything worth paying attention, similarly to Roddy White's statistical benchmark. It's interesting, but effectively means absolutely nothing. It's a statistical quirk that is essentially fabricated in order to project meaning, but it in of itself doesn't amount to anything.

If something is unusual, it has nothing to do with the opponents the Falcons have played in 3 of the past 4 Januaries, it has everything to do with their performance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

But to me, it's a fairly random trivia item as opposed to anything worth paying attention, similarly to Roddy White's statistical benchmark. It's interesting, but effectively means absolutely nothing. It's a statistical quirk that is essentially fabricated in order to project meaning,

**********************************************************************************************************************
Look Pudge I wasn't lying when I said it didn't have any extra meaning, I do think its unusual that in their three playoff tries
the teams that killed them went on to SUPERBOWLS not Championships. and if its such a random trivia item as I thought, (not thinking
you'd make a federal case out of it) you'd have just left it alone.

BTW if you think Roddy's numbers mean nothing; then your an idiot; he's shown himself to be the Falcons best receiver in 40+ years!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:14 pm 

[quote=Cyril]and if its such a random trivia item as I thought, (not thinking you'd make a federal case out of it) you'd have just left it alone.[/quote]
Have you learned nothing over these past several years? :snooty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Ok Now you have a point (: