It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Van Gorder Not Well Liked By Someone
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Interesting note from our good buddy also big bust Ray Edwards. Edwards reportedly was asked about Van Gorder and said that his grandma taught him if he doesn't have anything nice to say, don't say it all. So could this be even more possible hope that Edwards breaks out next year or is just this moaning.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Van Gorder Not Well Liked By Someone
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:56 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think the feeling was mutual. Here's what BVG had to say about his decision to go to the college, and in reading between the lines I'm fairly certain it was Ray Edwards that was at issue. Highlighted the "interesting" parts...

Quote:
“To be quite frank about it, a little bit of the business side is political in its makeup,” he said of coaching in the National Football League. “I just felt like after four years I was to the point where I wanted to be more involved in selection of players and who was playing.”

He noted that personnel decisions on NFL teams are sometimes based on financial considerations such as contracts, salaries and similar factors.

VanGorder added that coaching young NFL?players is much like coaching college players. He said that is not the case with veterans who have been in the league six or seven years and even longer. “They are what they are,” he said.

“If there was something that maybe I missed about the college thing, specifically in coaching, it would have been that--the enjoyment of developing whether it was Odell Thurman from little Monticello at the University of Georgia or Thomas Davis out of Randolph-Clay. Those were good trips for three or four years to take someone who was not capable of playing college ball to All-American status. It is an enjoyable thing about what we do.”

VanGorder said that being able to recruit players and develop them individually, and within a team framework, is the kind of challenge he thrives on. “Being able to choose he players that you want, and then set the standards and expectations, you either get the job done or you don’t. You are either playing or you are not playing based on your production on the field. That and the development part, are attractive to me in college ball now that I?have been in both scenarios.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Ray Ray was getting yanked off the field in nickel situations for Kroy Biermann. Unless Nolan can mesh with Ray Ray, I don't see him being a Falcon for too much longer. Of course that would probably require the Falcons to cut underachieving players, something they really, really hate to do.

Profile E-mail