All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Biermann on the verge of an extension
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:17 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://falcfans.com/biermann-on-the-ver ... nsion-5521

Biermann on the verge of an extension
March 1st, 2012 Aaron Freeman

D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that impending Falcons free agent defensive end Kroy Biermann is set to re-sign with the team. Ledbetter writes that Biermann’s deal is “imminent” and likely to be inked in the next 36 hours.

Biermann wants a three-year contract, while the team is looking to add another year to his deal. His extension is set to pay him between $10 and $12 million overall, according to Ledbetter’s source. He is set to be the first of the Falcons many free agents that will re-sign deals. Free agent signing period begins on March 13, and teams have until March 5 to designate which of their free agents will be slapped with the franchise tag.

Biermann was a fifth round pick by the Falcons in 2008 and has been in and out of the starting lineup since then. He first emerged in 2009 as a reserve tallying 37 tackles and 5 sacks. He was promoted to the starting lineup the following year, but his production dipped to 28 tackles and 3 sacks. This past year he returned as a backup, and had 27 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Re-signing Biermann likely became a priority when talks with defensive end John Abraham seemed to be getting nowhere, and might be a stronger indicator that things on that front aren’t likely to change in the coming days. If the Falcons do not re-sign Abraham, Biermann would most certainly become the incumbent starter at right defensive end.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Biermann on the verge of an extension
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Like it or not, this fits with what Mike Nolan's said philosphy is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:41 pm 

Million (or perhaps $10 million?) dollar question is whether or not Biermann continues to develop or flat lines and just eats cap space ala Chauncey Davis.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Million (or perhaps $10 million?) dollar question is whether or not Biermann continues to develop or flat lines and just eats cap space ala Chauncey Davis.

Can't compare Bierman to Davis. Bierman is head and shoulders above him. I Edwards can't come back from the knee, who else we got?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:22 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

There are more available players on the other 31 teams to consider.

I don't fell great about him being the starting RDE; why would they pay him semi-starter money if he's just going to be the 3rd or 4th guy? It almost makes you pass on Abraham due to the money already committed at the position.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:57 am 

If Biermann is the opening day starter for this team at RDE, we are going to be in big trouble. I really hope this is an insurance move, and that the Falcons are definitely planning on upgrading their DE spot either in FA or the draft.

I like Kroy, but he's a very limited starter because he doesn't have the ability to consistently beat starting-caliber OTs, except the bottom rung guys.

If the Falcons top trio of DEs is Ray Ray, Kroy, and Sid, then this year's pass rush will be vying with the '06 pass rush as some of the weakest we've seen in Atlanta in recent memory.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Every season has the eight seconds in the pocket moments. I swear this pass rush has stunk for far too long, someone be a savior please. 2010 was decent in terms of pass rush with the team having some big moments but still not good enough. I think the last good pass rush for the team was in 2004.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
If the Falcons top trio of DEs is Ray Ray, Kroy, and Sid, then this year's pass rush will be vying with the '06 pass rush as some of the weakest we've seen in Atlanta in recent memory.

Oh yeah, at this rate we're still regressing on D. TD hasn't helped us in FA in the past two offseasons, luckily he didn't make a big gamble in the draft to compound the stupidity :doh: . Daunta and RayRay. I know Nolan would prefer 4-5 guys that can get a handful or more sacks each, equating to a solid total, yet not having most of your pass rush eggs in one basket (ala Abraham). Good in theory, and potentially smarter, but a good pass rusher might now be the next toughest position to finding a franchise qb. Only thing as a converse situation is TB & NO didn't seem to get much out of their draft last year at said position, probably speaking to the overall challenge of finding dudes to beat these dancing bears at T.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:23 pm 

The funny thing about Nolan's statement is that if he really wants that, then he must have hated his Dolphin defenses the past few years. Because outside Cameron Wake, nobody on that defense could consistently get pressure.

I've never heard of a defense that had 10 guys get 4 sacks each, or whatever he said, and be effective. You always need that 1 or 2 guys that on 3rd & 8 or whatever, you can be fairly confident is going to win his matchup. The only thing close to that on this team is John Abraham. A healthy Jonathan Babineaux is the 2nd closest one to that, but he's not that guy on a weekly basis anymore. He really hasn't been that player since 2009, and it's very unlikely that he's going to be any better next year. And third on that list is friggin Sean Weatherspoon, and we need him to play in coverage in those situations thanks to the mediocre abilities of Curtis Lofton & Stephen Nicholas. A year ago, that player was Brian Williams. So if the Falcons are going to let go of Abe, they are pretty much going to be f***ed when it comes to putting pressure in those "must have" situations. This was the problem with the pass rush in 2009 and 2010. The hope is that Corey Peters, Lawrence Sidbury will take that next step. But I wouldn't hold my breath on those guys. Sidbury was probably our 2nd best pass rusher down the stretch, but unless he was facing a bottom rung RT, he really didn't do much. And Peters absolutely disappeared in the 2nd half of the season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I've never heard of a defense that had 10 guys get 4 sacks each, or whatever he said, and be effective.

I agree, this is what concerns me too, good in theory, but where have you seen it? I think at first I thought it was good as a basic idea, in that its hard to find an Abraham or someone of his ilk. I assumed he meant more of a 34 than 43 D, but obviously who knows if we ever even end up tilting/running that direction. Certainly not right now w/ next to no pieces to run it. We have worried so much about offensive identity and scheme in 2011, but we're probably regressing enough on D going forward to where it probably won't matter if we really do fix the O. And its not like Mike "Mr. Conservative" Smith is gonna go but so crazy anyway opening things up. Meaning we still won't be able to slow down any of GB, NO, NYG, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:00 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru