PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:56 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

TERRANCE GANAWAY
5-11.5/239
Baylor Senior
40: 4.50e

PROS:

A powerful north-south runner that has decent speed and balance. He does a good job breaking tackles because he runs hard and keeps his feet moving after contact. He runs behind his pads on the edge and between the tackles and is patient. He will get low to deliver a blow to the defender. He flashes quick feet to make the cut back on the counter play and occasionally bounce a play outside.

CONS:

Struggles to change direction because of his footwork and will stop his feet at times in the hole trying to juke rather than run over a defender. Lacks ideal burst and quickness to hit the hole quickly. Will whiff on assignments in pass protection and not always as physical there as his size merits when he does square up a defender.

OVERVIEW:

Ganaway first came to my attention with a strong performance in the season opener vs. TCU, but I didn't really break him down. But with the season Baylor continued to have, he started to get more on NFL radars and my own. He's a physical power runner that was productive in Baylor's single-back offense. He ran a lot of counters and draws, and while he is a talented rusher, part of his success probably could be attributed to how much defenses keyed on stopping Griffin and their passing attack. But Ganaway made plays when he had the opportunity to. He originally went to Houston under Art Briles, where he was the backup behind Anthony Alridge as a freshman. But his mother died the following summer of kidney cancer, and he transferred to Texarkana Community College near his hometown and did not play football. With Briles since taking over the head job at Baylor, he transferred there as a sophomore. And served as a backup to Jay Finley for two years before really rising to the occasion this past year as a senior. His maternal uncle is Jeremiah Trotter, former NFL linebacker that played primarily with Eagles during his 11-year NFL career (1998-2009). Was a 200-pound freshman at Houston. Returned an onside kick 38 yards in 2010 for a touchdown.

2011 GAMES WATCHED:

(12/3) vs. Texas: 23 att., 152 yds, 6.6 avg, 27 YAC, 2 TDs; 1 tgt., 1 rec., 5 yds, 7 YAC, 0 TDs; QB Hits: 1
(12/29) vs. Washington: 21 att, 200 yds, 9.5 avg, 24 YAC, 5 TDs; 0 tgt., 0 rec.

CAREER STATS:

2011: 13 GP/12 GS, 250 att., 1547 yds, 6.2 avg, 21 TDs; 6 rec., 52 yds, 1 TD
2010: 13/0-46-295-6.4-2; 4-44-0; 1 KO ret., 38 yds, 1 TD
2009: 12/1-68-200-2.9-5; 2-37-0
2008: transferred to Texarkana CC
2007: at Houston: 13/1-109-550-5.0-6; 0-0-0

NFL FORECAST:

I think Ganaway is a guy that can definitely carve out a niche as a role player. Teams looking to develop a short-yardage back or between the tackles complement could get some mileage out of him. I don't think he's a guy that has much upside as a starter because he doesn't really make his blocking better, and I think is more a product of the talent around him. But he's a hard-runner that certainly could win over fans and coaches due to his hard-running style. Despite playing in Baylor's offense, I'm not sure he's as good as you would expect in the passing game and it may take him some team before he can really make significant contributions there. I think he can also get some looks as a fullback in certain packages. While he's definitely far from polished there, his short-area power means that I think there is some long-term developmental potential for a creative coach that wants to line him up in the backfield with another good runner. At best, you're probably talking about him developing into a Michael Bush-type of complementary player that can be a productive 10-carry guy most weeks. But I don't ever really see him being a starter, and unless you're a run-first team, he's probably more in line with a 5-carry guy in most offenses because he doesn't add a ton of value in the passing game. He's a good depth option that can play at the next level, but he may be a guy that struggles to get a second contract because he's fairly one-dimensional.

ATL FORECAST:

Ganaway can add depth for the Falcons. As a runner, I don't see him being a whole lot better than Snelling, although he might be a bit more powerful. But unlike Snelling, he's not going to add a ton of value in the passing game, although he might be OK there down the road if he develops. He'll likely have to perform early on special teams. He would be a good developmental No. 3 RB in Atlanta early on, that has the potential and ability by his second or third season to start to move up the depth chart and carve out a nice niche as a complementary back to the speedier version of Rodgers. If Rodgers develops as a lead back, he could make a solid backup that can get reps as a reserve similar to Rashad Jennings in Jacksonville behind Maurice Jones-Drew.

VALUE:

Ganaway is a solid depth option for a team but probably should be a late round pick. He's probably in line with seventh round talent because he's probably bit more one-dimensional. But for a team looking for a developmental No. 2 rusher that can bring a power element to his game, I would not fault them for reaching if they took him as early as the end of the fifth round, especially if they were confident he could play special teams.

SKILLS:
1-pathetic, 2-poor, 3-weak, 4-below average, 5-average, 6-above average, 7-good, 8-very good, 9-excellent, 10-elite

Speed: 5.5
Power: 7.5
Agility: 5.5
Vision: 5.0
Hands: 4.0
Blocking: 4.0

Profile E-mail