It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dirk Koetter is the new OC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:44 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

RobertAP wrote:
There is some potential in the hire. Koetter doesn't appear to be Mularkey 2.0. That said, I hope that he realizes that our offensive line isn't going to hold up for 7 step drops. Ryan has to get the ball out quickly, and Koetter is going to have to draw up routes that will get people open quickly.

Well, it just means that the Falcons have to beef up their O-line. Besides re-signing Brent Grimes, most if not all of their FA money should be geared towards beefing up the O-line and trying to create some better competition in next year's camp. Because we will have a full off-season, this team should not be fearful about signing 3 or so new starters up front, and using the spring to try and get them to build a rapport/continuity. Players such as Jared Gaither, Vernon Carey, King Dunlap, and Anthony Collins should be on their radar. Of course, Carl Nicks and Ben Grubbs are the headliners at guard, although I still believe that Shawn Andrews is probably the best bargain to be had on the planet right now. The Falcons should also keep an eye on the statuses of Jeff Saturday and Dan Koppen as well. Kraig Urbik, Mike McGlynn, and Scott Mruczkowski are other players that they should keep their eye on.

Instead of focusing on trying to find 1 or 2 players that could be the magic fixes, they should bring in a number of players and basically have spring competitions for all 5 jobs, and doing their best to find the 5 best blockers and then building from there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah, I don't think that we need to go after the biggest FA names this year, there's just too many holes on the line. Bring in the 3rd and 4th guy at RG, RT, or LT instead of the #1 FA. Let them fight it out with our current guys and see who comes out on top.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:16 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE-It6JT ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:40 pm 

fun gus wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE-It6JTIVs&feature=player_embedded

The Downfall parodies jumped the shark over a year ago, but that one was pretty good. :up:

But if the Falcons are going to make the Koetter scheme work, then this conservative coaching of Matt Ryan is not going to work. If you're going to throw the ball downfield, you gotta let the guy sling it. Interceptions and turnovers be damned.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
If you're going to throw the ball downfield, you gotta let the guy sling it. Interceptions and turnovers be damned.

I agree, but for every pick Ryan throws, the haters are gonna hate. Ryan is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
I'm just hoping they let him run the no huddle more. He can call his own plays....what he is most comfortable with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Smith said in a statement released by the team to officially announce Koetter’s hiring. “He is bright, he understands the intricacies of the vertical passing game, but he also wants to be able to run the football which is very important in the NFL.

This is what I've found summarizes Koetter best, can still run the football (it is impressive how much stacked boxes MJD faced this year and still lead the league), but understands vertical passing game more. But...

Quote:
But if the Falcons are going to make the Koetter scheme work, then this conservative coaching of Matt Ryan is not going to work. If you're going to throw the ball downfield, you gotta let the guy sling it. Interceptions and turnovers be damned.

Do you mean more vertical, spread or just general passing? If its stricly vertical, we haven't fixed anything I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:49 pm 

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
I agree, but for every pick Ryan throws, the haters are gonna hate. Ryan is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

widetrak21 wrote:
Do you mean more vertical, spread or just general passing? If its stricly vertical, we haven't fixed anything I'm afraid.

To me the Giants are a good example to try and mimic. The GIants are balanced (relatively speaking) in that they run and pass, but the Giants understand and aren't afraid to throw the football when they teams like New Orleans, Green Bay, etc.

I'm not going to put the Giants on some pedestal as some great team because they are a wildly inconsistent team. But I think what the Giants have done a good job over the years since their '07 season is really put Eli in a situation where if they have to throw the ball 40+ times in order to compete, they can do that. Now the Giants don't win many games like that, but if/when those times come where Eli does throw the ball that often, they are still managing to score 30+ points a game, while on the other hand in Atlanta, when Matt Ryan is put in similar situations, they are far too often struggling to score 17.

And while many simply dismiss that difference as being because Matt Ryan isn't capable of being that guy, I think it has as much if not much more to do with the fact that this offense has never really been designed to do that. IMHO, MIke Smith is deathly afraid of getting into a shootout.

And the Giants approach to yesterday's game vs. GB (where they weren't afraid to sling it), and the Falcons approach to our game vs. the Giants perfectly personify this. The Falcons were in a situation where they basically had to run Turner XX amount of times, or otherwise we were going to be royally screwed.

The more I've read on Koetter, the more optimistic I am that he can install this type of offense. But IMHO, 100% depends on whether Mike Smith is willing to break the chains off and allow him to do that. It seems oxymoronic to me to have an offense that throws the football down the field, but preaches to never ever turn the ball over. You can't be aggressive and fearful at the same time. You have to be willing to break a few eggs in order to make an omelette, and keep the metaphors going...

But again, the Giants are a good exhibitor of this because people constantly harp on how many times Eli Manning turns the ball over. If you want him to throw 30 TDs, then you can't be afraid for him to throw 20 INTs as well.

Coach him out of this ball control, limit turnovers style of play or otherwise I just can't see him succeeding as a vertical passer in this type of offense.

I just want to see this coaching staff (namely Mike Smith) grow a pair and be willing to do whatever it takes to win. I'm tired of watching this team trying to win every game 20-17. And I think that's the difference between us (a pretender) and a team like the Giants, who are a darkhorse, but still a contender, is that I don't think they are afraid to get into a 38-35 shootout.

And I saw the same thing with the 49ers against the Saints too. They may be coached to be this conservative, run-first, defensive-minded team. But they didn't shirk away from slinging the ball down the stretch against the Saints in order to win that game. And off the top of my head, I can't really remember a game where the Falcons played like that against a good team. It's one thing to play that way against the Jags or Bucs, it's another to have the balls to do it against the Saints, Giants, Packers, Steelers, or Patriots.

And the one thing I saw throughout this past season with this Falcon team is that they played scared. There was a lot of fear with this team. And these teams that have achieved more than us this year and last year and in recent years, don't play afraid.

In big games, this team gets tight and fearful. And while many seem to be pointing the fingers at the QB, I think 100% of that comes from the head coach. And that has to change.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:14 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
And I saw the same thing with the 49ers against the Saints too. They may be coached to be this conservative, run-first, defensive-minded team. But they didn't shirk away from slinging the ball down the stretch against the Saints in order to win that game. And off the top of my head, I can't really remember a game where the Falcons played like that against a good team. It's one thing to play that way against the Jags or Bucs, it's another to have the balls to do it against the Saints, Giants, Packers, Steelers, or Patriots.

Very well put, I hear ya and agree. I was on us moving to more what the Pats do, but maybe with DK the Gmen are a more apt example. I don't think Ryan drives the ball like Eli, but its certainly a step more in the right direction.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:01 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

fun gus wrote:

Tim Lewis or R Hamilton. If these 2 are chosen for DC I will crap in a bag, and mail it to Flowery Branch. Those are the ONLY 2 I dont wanna see:

@DOrlandoLED
D. Orlando Ledbetter RT @mbischoff63: @AJCFalcons Archer say the Falcons plan to announce the new DC tomorrow of Wed. Our bet is on Tim Lewis. <-

If this mushmouth m*therf*cker is telling the truth I swear I will go primatepoop/.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

D-Led? That's Pudge boy right there! That means he's probably 99.8% right.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:13 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Tim Lewis, lol I wish Bland TD and Smith would have been honest with us. If they said we r close and we are gonna give this approach another year, I could understand,but why blow smoke up my ass when you are gonna replace our cordinators with clones of what we already have? I guess they think most Falcons fans are so fair weather that we wouldn't pay attention after the press conference.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:47 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DaveWaz wrote:
Tim Lewis, lol I wish Bland TD and Smith would have been honest with us. If they said we r close and we are gonna give this approach another year, I could understand,but why blow smoke up my ass when you are gonna replace our cordinators with clones of what we already have? I guess they think most Falcons fans are so fair weather that we wouldn't pay attention after the press conference.

Had to laugh at that Freudian slip. Maybe it'll work out. I'll give them this much credit...this surely was not a marketing move. I'd be interested to see how STs sales go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:55 am 
Superstar
Superstar

backnblack wrote:
DaveWaz wrote:

Had to laugh at that Freudian slip. Maybe it'll work out. I'll give them this much credit...this surely was not a marketing move. I'd be interested to see how STs sales go.

Yeah, this should put an end to any thought that Blank is secretly pulling the strings on coaching moves...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:44 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge wrote:
RobertAP wrote:
Players such as Jared Gaither, Vernon Carey, King Dunlap, and Anthony Collins should be on their radar. Of course, Carl Nicks and Ben Grubbs are the headliners at guard, although I still believe that Shawn Andrews is probably the best bargain to be had on the planet right now. The Falcons should also keep an eye on the statuses of Jeff Saturday and Dan Koppen as well. Kraig Urbik, Mike McGlynn, and Scott Mruczkowski are other players that they should keep their eye on.

Actually, I'd LOVE for us to make a push for Evan Mathis.

While he has a pretty long injury history, PFF had been screaming for him to play for years until the Eagles finally gave him a shot this year. His response? A higher grade then Nicks (+34.6 to +28.4).

I'd like to get Nicks, but Mathis won't break the bank.

At LT, its a no brainer: Throw money at Jared Gaither when the bell tolls for the start of free agency. The guy is an ELITE LT in this league and has never gotten the recognition (or contract) for it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:02 pm 

I've heard Mathis will be a high priority for the Eagles to re-sign, so I don't think the Falcons will get the opportunity.

The issue with Gaither, who I liked a lot in Baltimore is the fact that he's injury prone. SO if the Falcons are going to go after him, they need some insurance. That might mean keeping Sam Baker. That might mean going after a guy like Collins or Dunlap as well. But I think the Falcons would be foolish to pay Gaither some huge contract, and expect him to turn back into an elite LT all of a sudden. He really hasn't been that player for a number of years, largely due to injuries. But if he's still that player, then why did he sit the bench as a Chief for 12 weeks? I know they had Branden Albert at LT, but the Todd Haley regime was never married to Albert being their LT. And Barry Richardson is one of the weaker starting RTs out there in the league.

I want this team to get Gaither, just saying the last thing the Falcons should do is guarantee him some $20 million contract. If you can get him for a similar price as we got Clabo ($5M/yr., $11M gtd.) then that would be a nice price, especially if he reverts to his 2008 and 2009 form.

If this team knew how to manage their roster, they would have put a waiver claim on him in Week 13 last year, as well as signed Shawn Andrews. But of course we had to keep Brett Romberg and Kirk Chambers on the roster instead. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:45 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
"Angry Johnny" Wrote
I'm just hoping they let him run the no huddle more. He can call his own plays....what he is most comfortable with.

Why should Ryan care what anyone thinks? I want him to throw it deep, I want him to get good at it; but it takes time in game day situations.. I almost thought he was maybe getting a little more comfortable with it by game 16 but then nothing showed at all on playoff day...... If Ryan will try the vertical pass more Id be glad for him to take his bruises along the way.....

I loved Ryan for 3 years and just got down on him when he seemed to not want to get out of his "comfort zone" and he seemed to specialize
in "happy feet" and running for cover to throw out of bounds..... For most Qbs running then finding someone open; is not so hard....

Most people put this on the head coach; or here on Mularkey; but I put it on Ryan.... A franchise Qb can make his own destiny and Mike
Smith is not pulling Ryan if he has 12 Tds and 18 interceptions......If Ryan is going to be a Franchise Qb this seems to be his best chance...

Go for 35 yard passes; throw more 20 yarders than 5, and do learn to execute that screen perfectly.......I really won't complain at all if Ryan tries to make himself a better Qb. I've been afraid its Ryan who has been afraid of the interceptions not the coaches.... Look if he's
a franchise Qb; he'll do what a franchise Qb does, coaches be damned, and it seems like Koetter is more than willing to give him this chance......

He'll have a contract, and nothing to stop him from playing wide open..... (I assume we'll upgrade the O-line some; but
Ryan needs to run the offense) and in this thread their has been a lot of talk of " playing scared " I'd like to be positive its not Ryan who leads this feeling to the offense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:03 am 
Superstar
Superstar

On yea "Fun Gus" told me this
Quote:
You asked, I answered. Now if you dont like the answer then
step one:stick out thumb
step two: sit on it.
step three: repeat and wait for next years postseason ( if we get there) :lol:

Hey I do all that every day, now I just sent in my $2,500 for my two season tickets...... I'm real
excited about everyone here being so excited about the Press Conference and all the changes its already brought......

We're not just going to the post season we're going to the Super Bowl!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:01 pm 

Cyril wrote:
Most people put this on the head coach; or here on Mularkey; but I put it on Ryan....

You're right Cyril, Ryan played like a pussy vs. the Giants. And there's really no defense for it.

But I personally think that if this coaching staff really had prepared Matt Ryan the proper way, then that would have never happened. And one of the reasons I think this is you look at how it should have gone with how Alex Smith played against the Saints in the playoffs. That was a guy that played with confidence, and based off how the 49ers called that game at the end, it looked like a coaching staff that had confidence in their QB.

And it often comes down to on message boards that you either fall into one camp or the other, with you blaming one side (coaches) or the other (player). And I just want to say both are at fault. But as I see it, the QB takes his cues from the coaches. The QB doesn't set the tone. Maybe in Indianapolis that was the case, but that is not the case in the 31 other NFL cities.

So you have both parties IMHO failing at their jobs, but you can't expect the QB to be able to step up until the coaches step up first.

I've said numerous times I don't think a vertical offense is the ideal offense for Matt Ryan, but you know what, so be it. If that's what they want to be, then so be it. But I want to see this team commit to that. That means dumping Michael Turner. That means letting Harry Douglas walk and replacing him with a No. 3 WR that can stretch the field. That means picking up a TE that can stretch the vertical seam. That means scrapping this "if you're long, you're never wrong" BS.

Otherwise, then it goes back to my fear about Mike Smith, that he's too conservative for his own good. Otherwise, it's him picking Dirk Koetter and being a vertical offense because it sounds good, not because he really wants to run that style of offense. And if Matt Ryan remains a pussy, then it's because he's just mimicking his head coach.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
Most people put this on the head coach; or here on Mularkey; but I put it on Ryan.... A franchise Qb can make his own destiny and Mike Smith is not pulling Ryan if he has 12 Tds and 18 interceptions......If Ryan is going to be a Franchise Qb this seems to be his best chance...

Go for 35 yard passes; throw more 20 yarders than 5, and do learn to execute that screen perfectly.......I really won't complain at all if Ryan tries to make himself a better Qb. I've been afraid its Ryan who has been afraid of the interceptions not the coaches.... Look if he's a franchise Qb; he'll do what a franchise Qb does, coaches be damned, and it seems like Koetter is more than willing to give him this chance......

He'll have a contract, and nothing to stop him from playing wide open..... (I assume we'll upgrade the O-line some; but
Ryan needs to run the offense) and in this thread their has been a lot of talk of " playing scared " I'd like to be positive its not Ryan who leads this feeling to the offense.
Very well said Cyril. If Ryan as 5 year veteran former #3 overall draft pick is intimidated by his coaches, then he's the wrong guy for the job. QBs taken at that level have a lot of power and freedom. It's on Ryan to step it up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:14 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge you look so much nicer in your picture than you sound here.....so I want to be nice.......

Quote:
"Steve H." wrote If Ryan as 5 year veteran former #3 overall draft pick is intimidated by his coaches, then he's the wrong guy for the job. QBs taken at that level have a lot of power and freedom. It's on Ryan to step it up.

Pudge, don't you think Ryan can take the freedom because of his position, and what a franchise Qb means to this team.....; we really haven't had but Bart and he had no leadership; Vick and he had no work ethic, now Ryan seems to have enough of the package to make it;
but he has to think for himself.... This isn't college; if the head coach is messing with your head then tell him; its not important to please
the head coach; its up to Ryan to win......If Ryan wins Smith will be happy no matter what......

I really think a 5th year Qb should know where he wants to go with his career!! When push comes to shove I think Ryan has as much power
as Smith if he'll use it!! Is this thinking out of line? (got me fired every job, till I went in business for myself 25 years ago.) so maybe not
so good....... Do you go along to get along; or is it wrong for Ryan to think for himself?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:12 am 

In the Giants game, Matt Ryan did not play well.

But what is at the core of the issue, and what delineates me from you, Cyril, SteveH, and other like-minded individuals is the explanation for why that is/was.

I have surmised that you see it as being primarily the fault of Matt Ryan. Basically, it's an indicator that Matt Ryan is not particularly good. He's just an above average QB masquerading as a so-called elite QB. And his lackluster performance simply shattered the "myth" that has been Matt Ryan in your eyes.

Now, where i stand on this issue is that I do not believe the coaches really gave Matt Ryan a chance. And I'm going to make this statement, and the reality is that if you can't simply see what I'm saying by this statement, then there's really nothing I can say to explain it to you. I don't mean to be condescending, but it's really that simple. It's like putting a Tea Party person and a college professor in the same room to talk about some issue, and they're just not going to find any common ground because their perspectives are so wildly different.

But that statement is this...

The Falcons went into the Giants game with the intention/plan that the way they were going to win that game was running the ball to Michael Turner 25-30 times.

Now if you cannot see the causality and/or correspondence between that fact and the poor performance of Matt Ryan, then we essentially have nothing further to discuss.

And there are others that are there with me, and still counter, "Well, Pudge don't you think that is a reflection on Matt Ryan? If the coaches didn't have the confidence in him to put the ball in his hands to win the game, isn't that a strong indicator of Ryan's ability, or lack thereof?"

And I would respond, "Yes, your logic is sound. But only in as much if you do not consider the storng body of evidence established from the precedent of Mike Smith and Mike Mularkey among others that at no point in their careers as head coaches or assistants have they ever coached on a team that had a habit of putting the ball in the hands of the QB to win them games. Therefore even if they had access to such a QB (and as an aside I believe they do currently), they probably would not even know how to do it."

And it goes back to what I've said before about Mike Smith & Co. being too conservative for their own good. And if that is the case with Mike Smith and this coaching staff, that is going to be a huge limiting factor on this team's ability to win championships in the future. And I believe that factor is a much bigger obstacle to overcome than any issue people might have with Matt Ryan's want to, arm strength, mental toughness, and/or other traits that they've said he lacks over the years. Because I can guarantee, none of the current elite/franchise QBs developed in such an environment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:02 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
And it goes back to what I've said before about Mike Smith & Co. being too conservative for their own good. And if that is the case with Mike Smith and this coaching staff, that is going to be a huge limiting factor on this team's ability to win championships in the future. And I believe that factor is a much bigger obstacle to overcome than any issue people might have with Matt Ryan's want to, arm strength, mental toughness, and/or other traits that they've said he lacks over the years. Because I can guarantee, none of the current elite/franchise QBs developed in such an environment.

Actually, I'll argue that Brees was in such an environment, but then he hooked up with Sean Payton in New Orleans, and the rest is history. I have hopes that Matt Ryan will be coupled with a coach that will get the most out of him. I have to say that I'm very skeptical that Koetter is the guy, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:19 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Very well said Cyril. If Ryan as 5 year veteran former #3 overall draft pick is intimidated by his coaches, then he's the wrong guy for the job.

That makes zero sense. Ryan is listening to his coaches like a good team player should. You want him to buck Smitty? I'm sure Ryan doesn't like being on a leash anymore than we like seeing be on a leash. But he doesn't complain in public and he's not a distraction to the team. That's being professional. That's being a leader. That's being a team player.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:34 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
Very well said Cyril. If Ryan as 5 year veteran former #3 overall draft pick is intimidated by his coaches, then he's the wrong guy for the job.

That makes zero sense. Ryan is listening to his coaches like a good team player should. You want him to buck Smitty? I'm sure Ryan doesn't like being on a leash anymore than we like seeing be on a leash. But he doesn't complain in public and he's not a distraction to the team. That's being professional. That's being a leader. That's being a team player.

Good Grief :doh:

I dont know if Matt Ryan likes being on the leash or not. He doesnt say one way or the other. He is a Boy Scout.

Okay, lets get some realities on the table. Does anyone think Matt Ryan is going to get tagged, or do you think he is going to sign a multi-year contract extension? Right. So whatever happens to any of these 'coaches' we speak of, Matt Ryan will be here long after Mike Smith and co moves on ( if that occurs). In this situation, as a 5 year veteran that just signed a huge extension: sorry at that point, I don't need a 'Boy Scout'. I dont need a guy who 'follows orders'. 'Leadership' is not defined as just 'playing by the rules'. Sometimes, as a 'leader' you have to address the elephant in the room. You can call it 'professional' all day. Personally, I am troubled at the lack of fire in the loss as displayed by Ryan. I watched the post loss presser. I've seen his stuff on the net. He seems sad and disgusted, but not pissed off. Again, thats just my perspective.

Lets look at Flacco. He is often compared to Ryan, right? Flacco had a damn good year. When his coaches fired his QB coach, and Flacco did not approve, was he being a 'bad leader' when he publically said WTF? And think about this: the QB that won 13 games, has won playoff games is not afraid to put his coaches on notice when they decide to do something that is against his best interest and in is opinion in the best interest of the team. Does Matt Ryan do that? No, Ryan looks like a sad puppy and then goes to play guitar with the D-Block in the offseason, after he's watched film of him losing embarassingly in the playoffs again.

Now it's difficult, because you dont wanna see the 'carnival' and it is good to have a cerebral, talented QB that doesnt turn over the rock and make mistakes but it is also good to see the QB that as a 'leader' will step up and take the team ON HIS SHOULDERS at after that last display I dont see it anymore. Now we can blame the coaches for coaching to lose, but a leader does not accept that.

And I do find it amusing that the old tired MV7 'coaching excuses' are being trotted out for Ryan. If Vick had all the fire but none of the brain, now we have the opposite problem. Now we have an exceptional game manager that is terrific in the regular season, but sh*ts the bed in the big games.

This all assumes that at this point, coaching makes the man. I'll close with this. If Matt Ryan has the same thing happen next year, or worse, I dont think there is a 'coach' that could save him at that point. NOt Peyton,nnot Bellicheat, not Vegan Babay Jeebus. I think then it will be a stigma, and will affect Ryans play late in the season, because it will own him if he loses 4 playoff games. And if we dont even make the playoffs, Ryan's 'coaching excuses' are gonna stop, because I do think Blanks desire to get the wheels moving on his stadium deal will override a decision to keep Smith.

So one way or another, were gonna know this answer this time next year. :so:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I don't need a 'Boy Scout'. I dont need a guy who 'follows orders'. 'Leadership' is not defined as just 'playing by the rules'.

I'm all about rebels, don't get me wrong, but if you don't follow coaches instructions especially in the NFL and especially at the QB position, you're not long for this league. Hello Jeff George.

Quote:
Sometimes, as a 'leader' you have to address the elephant in the room. You can call it 'professional' all day. Personally, I am troubled at the lack of fire in the loss as displayed by Ryan.

Not being privy to what goes on in the locker room or in meetings, it's hard to say. Maybe he does address issues and show fire in his belly. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for two reasons. Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco. I don't see Ryan's teammates throwing him under the bus like they do in NY and in Baltimore. As a matter of fact, Ryan is praised for his leadership skills and hard work by his teammates. I guess that makes them good boy scouts too?

Quote:
If Matt Ryan has the same thing happen next year, or worse, I dont think there is a 'coach' that could save him at that point. NOt Peyton,nnot Bellicheat, not Vegan Babay Jeebus. I think then it will be a stigma, and will affect Ryans play late in the season, because it will own him if he loses 4 playoff games. And if we dont even make the playoffs, Ryan's 'coaching excuses' are gonna stop, because I do think Blanks desire to get the wheels moving on his stadium deal will override a decision to keep Smith.

Don't get me wrong. Matt Ryan needs to improve in a lot of areas to take the next step. What I disagree with is why it's not happening. Smitty is ultra conservative and that isn't going to change. That in turn affects what Ryan can and can't do or even has a chance to do. Even the best QB's, Tom Brady, Brees or Aaron Roger can't stray from the game plan that is laid out to them by the coaches.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next