It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: qb sneak?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:22 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6160
Location: Planet Claire
Confess_Jesus_Now wrote:
backnblack wrote:
...Matt's a game manager not a playmaker.

I beg to differ. Sunday, the guy marched us down the field after starting from our own 1 yard line and actually hit Roddy in the hands for what would have been the game winner, but it was dropped. In fact, this season alone, if Roddy and other receivers focus and just catch the pass, we're sitting here talking about a 7-2 team.

Take a look at the Bears game 3 years ago. We all remember the throw and catch that set up the game winning field goal.

And even though it was flawwed, the 49ers game last year.


While he does have some flaws and kinks in his game that need to be worked out, this guy makes plays. No one can argue against that. He's much more than just a game manager.

You cherry picked that quotation CJN. I agree that he is great in the two minute offense and def earns the Matty Ice moniker at that time. Regretably, the rest fo the time he just seems like a game manager to me. He ha sengineered some simply awesome comebacks and this is what is so titilating about him. But this is a pattern of his from college as well and I aske dbefore we drafted him and I ask again, "If he is so great why do you have to have dramatic comebacks?" A silly query on the surface bu thow often do you see us whip a team from start to finish? It always seems like white knuckles to the end. Maybe it is just the Falcon in me but I recall so many times being on the wrong end of games where it was over at half time so the line, "All NFL games are close" doesn't really sit well with me..

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: qb sneak?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:34 am 
Offline
Playmaker
Playmaker
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:26 pm
Posts: 463
Location: The Kingdom
backnblack wrote:
Confess_Jesus_Now wrote:
backnblack wrote:
...Matt's a game manager not a playmaker.

I beg to differ. Sunday, the guy marched us down the field after starting from our own 1 yard line and actually hit Roddy in the hands for what would have been the game winner, but it was dropped. In fact, this season alone, if Roddy and other receivers focus and just catch the pass, we're sitting here talking about a 7-2 team.

Take a look at the Bears game 3 years ago. We all remember the throw and catch that set up the game winning field goal.

And even though it was flawwed, the 49ers game last year.


While he does have some flaws and kinks in his game that need to be worked out, this guy makes plays. No one can argue against that. He's much more than just a game manager.

You cherry picked that quotation CJN. I agree that he is great in the two minute offense and def earns the Matty Ice moniker at that time. Regretably, the rest fo the time he just seems like a game manager to me. He ha sengineered some simply awesome comebacks and this is what is so titilating about him. But this is a pattern of his from college as well and I aske dbefore we drafted him and I ask again, "If he is so great why do you have to have dramatic comebacks?" A silly query on the surface bu thow often do you see us whip a team from start to finish? It always seems like white knuckles to the end. Maybe it is just the Falcon in me but I recall so many times being on the wrong end of games where it was over at half time so the line, "All NFL games are close" doesn't really sit well with me..

I guess I understand your point. I have to admit, it would be nice to not have to come from behind or "come through in crunch time" as much as we do. I mean, I get tired of this team being in close games, sitting on the edge of my seat because I don't know what's gonna happen next. It would be great to have some games under wraps before the end of the 3rd quarter. But the thing is, our guy is well above average. And even during games, he has shown me enough times that he can make great plays between quarters 1-3. He can make just about every throw there is, and once his receivers get their act together, that part of his game will get more respect. "Game Manager" is just not the right title for Matt Ryan. he's show time after time that he is a play-maker in this league. Especially when it counts.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: qb sneak?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:47 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6160
Location: Planet Claire
There is no indication to me that Matt can make every throw there is but he can make most. I'm OK with him. I'm just not crazy about him. We could do much worse and thankfully we don't have a situation like Denver with Tebow or as it was here in ATL with Vick where PR issues create a tail wagging the dog thing. As much fun as Tebow may be to watch the more things change the more they stay the same and it is not a sustainable situation in the long run. OTOH, Matt is a cookie cutter NFL QB and there is a reason they make cookie cutters. Matt is a super determined and vigilant seeming person so I think he will wring all he can out of his given talent and I hope that his team mates will continue to hold faith in him. The long methodical drives are really classic football and they help out your defense immeasurably but they involve so many variables going right in long succession--no fumbles, no penalties, etc., that it is a pressure cooker. A 10 yard penalty on first down will kill many a drive but us more than, say, Brees or Rodgers.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: qb sneak?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:32 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25876
Location: North Carolina
backnblack wrote:
I ask again, "If he is so great why do you have to have dramatic comebacks?" A silly query on the surface bu thow often do you see us whip a team from start to finish?

I think you're expecting too much of the answer to these questions to be heaped on Ryan's shoulders. I think the reason why things are played so close to the vest is because of the conservative philosophy of the coaching staff. It's hard to whip a team from start to finish when they pretty much have a firm handle on what you're doing offensively, and your mindset is mainly to "out-physical" or "out-execute" them rather than mixing a bit of "out-scheming" in there somewhere.

I think most people agree that the style of how the Falcons play makes it so their margin of error is pretty small. A failed redzone opportunity here, the inability to get a defensive stop there, a drive-killing penalty, a turnover, etc. and you often have the difference between a win and a loss here in Atlanta.

Think about what the ideal gameplan/result by the Falcons coaching staff, and you would get a game similar to the Colts game, and it's a game where Ryan really doesn't have to do a lot to win the game. It's a game that features 39 rushing attempts by running backs and 24 throws by Ryan.

Take the Saints perfect game, which also came against the Colts where they beat them 62-7, and Brees throws 35 times and run the ball 39 times.

And there seems to be this perception that the coaches haven't truly embraced Ryan, which doesn't seem to be too crazy a notion. And I think there is the perception that there is a very valid reason why the coaches haven't truly plunged head-first into the deep end with Ryan, i.e. he's not good enough to make that plunge. And that may be the case, but I honestly think a much bigger part of it is that they simply don't know how to do it.

And I think that without the head coach understanding that Matt Ryan is probably his best chance to win a Super Bowl here in Atlanta, and hiring an offensive coordinator that is going to also share in this understanding and subsequently build an offensive system around Ryan designed to maximize his skillset rather than manage it, and the front office being complicit in this strategy and doing a better job acquiring personnel to build this "Ryan-centric" team, then I think these first 3.6 years of the Mike Smith/Dimitroff Era might ultimately prove to be the pinnacle. Because I just have a hard time seeing this team going much further than they've already gone if they continue to do things the way they've been doing things.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


cron