It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Our WRs and TE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Seriously,
I have to give a shout out to these guys. The catches in the endzone were all over the top impressive, the kind of things we usually watch on replay AGAINST us. :roll: Jones catch on 3rd down when Ryan was forced out of the pocket, the dreaded drive killer play, saved the game. Douglas didn't drop a ball I'm aware of. We might not have a O-line, but lord these guys can catch a football if you can get it to them :clap:

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Re: Our WRs and TE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:09 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Jones played like crap, although I have to give him some props for the 2 catches he made did come on 3rd downs, and that second one was a good grab at a key point in the game. But other than that he looked pretty marginal.

Personally, I think he should have laid out for that Ryan INT to Samuel. I know others will disagree, and it would not have been an easy grab, but that's what he's being paid for. I see other teams WRs making those grabs for their QBs throughout the league. I get it, when Ryan and Jones rapport is like this :fingersx: he'll be ready to make those plays.

But catching only 2 of 8 passes thrown your way. Even on his worst days, Michael Jenkins outproduced that.

I know people are going to get on my case because he's a rookie, and he was facing 2 elite corners, and we won the game, blah blah blah blah, so proceed, but my view is that Julio Jones is so extremely talented that every time he doesn't play up to that talent he's going to get a "keyboardful" from me on this forum... :so:

And Gonzo had a great game. Is so slow, he practically has velcro on his soles, but at least he has velcro on those gloves. He was money last night, so I can forgive the lack of speed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:30 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I agreed with Pudge on the Samuel INT - Jones should have laid out for that one, if only to assure it wasn't picked. I think it's a rookie mistake that'll improve with time, but its one I think the coaches should harp on to start.

I also think we saw the Jones effect this game in that Roddy and Jones were covered well by the DBs, which is exactly why Gonzo had such a good game. The Eagles LBs are young and inexperienced, and against the vet like Gonzo, they had no hope, and no help from other DBs. Every play that I saw him catching the ball, it appeared that it was a LB covering him.

Makes me wonder if we'll see a rotation where HD, JJ, RW, and Gonzo have good games while the others are quiet while different teams try to defend different components. It's a hope, at least.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:54 pm 

Yulin wrote:
Makes me wonder if we'll see a rotation where HD, JJ, RW, and Gonzo have good games while the others are quiet while different teams try to defend different components. It's a hope, at least.
I don't know Yulin. I just think the matchups were in our favor last night. The weakness of the Eagles defense is the middle of it, starting with the LBs and the safeties. I mean Jarrad Page and Kurt Coleman were their starting safeties last night. Not terrible players, but neither should be starting, esp. on a playoff team. If you could find 4 more teams that they could start for, I'd bet those teams combine to have less wins than the Eagles do this year.

We'll see how it shakes out, but the "Julio Jones Effect" that people were hyping all summer long I think is going to be pretty hit and miss, if not non-existent. I wouldn't say that what we saw from Gonzo was a result of that, just that the Eagles have pretty bad linebackers and safeties. Some teams will have the players at those positions to handle our guys, and some won't.

Profile E-mail