It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Week Two Discussion Thread Vs Our Worst Nightmare Eagles
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:52 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I have zero confidence going into this game. The loss of Babs just made my heart drop a bit even more. Other than Abraham and Grimes, nobody is more important on that defense than Babs. I say that because Abraham's pass rush and Grimes coverage are so essential to that defense. Next is Babs with his effort and always causing havoc in the middle. Peters may be back this week, but that doesn't get me excited at all. I expect the worst in this game with Vick possibly going crazy. I pray that four players have the game of their lives if we want to win. John Abraham and Brent Grimes are guys that I am confident in that can play huge games. Dunta Robinson and Ray Edwards are on the spot this week. These two guys need to justify their contracts against the best of the NFC.

As for the offense, well look at this game like playing the Saints. You want to keep that offense off the field. But with our new offensive line can we do that? So many questions that just make me want to punch something like when I saw Babineaux out. Why the hell did the Falcons invest in Blalock and not Dahl? What has Blalock done to justify this!! Reynolds is just awful, I have zero confidence in him. Hopefully Turner plays like an animal and can somehow get past that front four because those linebackers are weak. Tony Gonzalez is one guy I really can see having a huge game. If you can beat that defense anywhere it's the linebackers and safeties. I look forward to seeing the receivers go up against the Big Three in secondary. Just keep Roddy away from Nnamdi and I like his chances. Samuel can be beat along with Rodgers Cromartie. This game should really be interesting or it could end up 48-21. I am missing Night Of Champions for this (I am the biggest CM Punk fan, so yeah not happy) so please Atlanta make this competitive and give us hope. We are falling to new lows.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Week Two Discussion Thread Vs Our Worst Nightmare Eagles
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:30 am 
Superstar
Superstar

The Falcons will bounce back with a strong effort, especially at home. They were utterly embarrassed last week and NEED to have a strong showing. The offense will be fine as I do not expect Matt Ryan to have 2 poor games in a row. The receiver cannot afford to drop 5 passes as they did last week either.

The defense has to keep the Eagles speedy receiver underneath them and make tackles! The front 7 have to play disciplined and stay in their lanes to keep Vick honest. One good thing, Vick was only 14-32 last week, reverting back to his inaccurate ways, at least for now. Let's hope that trend continues.

The good guys may not win this game, but the effort better be there or there are bigger problems going on that we don't know about.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:48 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Even without Babs, this is a game that the Falcons can win, but it will take a gargantuan effort for the team to scheme their way to success. We'll have to be saying by the end of the night, that Andy Reid and the Eagles got outcoached, because we simply lack the players to just outplay them. The Eagles aren't going to be intimidated by playing in the dome. Their QB considers this home, and they have come into the Dome to beat us before, and handly.

The Falcons cannot sit back on defense and just play conservative, fundamentally sound defense. They don't have the playmakers on that side of the ball to do that. Robinson is not going to be able to lock up Jackson like that, the same goes for Grimes and Maclin, or Lofton/Spoon on Celek, etc. They have to go after Vick.

Vick becomes a very average QB when you blitz him. He doesn't do a good job recognizing blitzes (when disguised well) and he has a rookie center as well that doesn't make things any better.

We also need to find a way to keep Vick from rolling to his left. The problem from Babs comes from the fact that the Falcons won't be able to get much push up the middle from guys like Jerry, Walker, Peters, etc. and thus even if Abe & Edwards & Biermann bring heat from the outside, Vick is going to have lanes to step up in and get yards down the field. Which IMO means that the Falcons should mix a steady mix of corner and safety blitzes (the Rams were successful with this last week as well as other teams late last year), as well as several LB blitzes up the middle.

Offensively, the Falcons have to establish the run early in this game. They need to pound the Eagles right down their throat, because that is the weakness of their defense. The Rams interior O-linemen were teeing off on the Eagles DTs and LBs all game last year and were having lots of rushing success early in that game.

The Falcons will need to mix better routes which will allow them to get their WRs open on intermediate and deep passes more often. I think Nnamdi and Samuel are too good to try and dink and dunk your way downfield.

But the offense needs to control the clock, work the running game, and score when they get their opportunities.

I hate to be in "Ultimatum Mode" during the second week of the season, but it really boils down that as I see it. If the Falcons coaches come up with a very good game plan that attacks the Eagles and catches them off-guard, then I will have confidence in them that they are capable of winning a Super Bowl. If not, and they sit back and play their usual conservative, let's not make any big mistakes and try not to lose this game, then my confidence in this coaching staff to bring a Lombardi Trophy to Atlanta pretty much goes out the window.

I just don't think in this day and age in the NFL, you can win that way, not at the highest level on a consistent basis. Not unless you have the most talented team on the field on pretty much every given Sunday. And the Falcons do not have that currently, and won't have that for at least another 3 or 4 years given what they gave up in the draft.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:52 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Me, I'm hoping for Abe and Edwards to drive Vick's left shoulder through the turf literally and that be the last we see of Michael Prick...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:10 am 
Superstar
Superstar

What would be hilarious is if Vick was the only QB that BVG's miss timed and easily diagnosed blitzes rushed into bad throws that would be awesome. On a serious note I do think that blitzing from different angles and dropping random players into zones(except JA55) is the way to defend Vick. When you frustrate him he is much more likely to become reckless with the ball. I also think this is the perfect game for Big Play Ray to have a coming out party :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:15 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/michael-vick-unemotional-on-return-to-atlanta-i-ha,26087/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:28 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You almost have to "waste" a defender to mirror Vick which is what makes all those weapons so dangerous for him. Every QB struggles under pressure and, unfortunately, it doesn't seem that we consistently get pressure with our front four. Subtract Babs and there is that much less. I agree that pounding the rock is how you beat them and, frankly, in our case how we should try to beat everyone...just like the 98 team---pound, pound, pound and then hit them deep. I don't see us beating these guys.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:18 pm 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... pite-loss/

Eagles look dangerous despite loss

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 19, 2011, 1:05 AM EDT

Falcons tight end Gonzalez keeps both feet in for a touchdown as Eagles safety Page pursues in the first half of their NFL football game in Atlanta. Reuters

Whew. There was so much going on during Atlanta’s wild 35-31 victory on Sunday night, we need to take a second look.

Here are eleven takeaways from the fun:

1. Mike Kakfa probably showed enough in a quarter to be the starter next week should Michael Vick miss any time with his concussion. Consider that many Philly writers (and their sources) thought Kafka out-played Vince Young in camp. Young hasn’t practiced fully in weeks because of his hamstring injury. Kafka knows the offense better.

2. Life without Vick is painful for the Eagles to think about. But it comes with the Vick package. Vick has been hit hard repeatedly in both of his starts this year. In this game, he took his shots mostly when he was in the pocket.

The recipe to beat Philly: beat Vick up.

3. The Eagles showed why they are so dangerous, even in a losing effort. Despite three turnovers from Vick in a five minute span just before and after halftime, Philly dominated the action for the first three quarters. The score could have been a lot worse than 31-21 Philly heading into the final frame.

4. Few teams have the weapons to make up for mistakes like Philly. Jeremy Maclin and LeSean McCoy were the key offensive guys in this game, helping to put up three quick scores in the third quarter. McCoy has taken his game to another level. He’s a top-five running back.

Maclin’s drop ended the game, but he showed that he’s truly over his offseason health issues.

5. Matt Ryan kept firing and he played very well in the red zone. That’s the best thing you can say about a scattershot performance. For much of the game, Ryan seemed the opposite of “poised” in the pocket. He felt pressure that wasn’t there and didn’t deal well with the pressure that was there.

6. Of course, a lot of that pressure was very real. Trent Cole absolutely manhandled Falcons left tackle Sam Baker all night. It was a one-man show. Cole had four tackle for loss and a pass defensed. The box score doesn’t show all the time Cole pushed Baker back into Ryan.

7. It may seem like I’m praising the Eagles a lot in a losing performance. That’s true, but the reality is that Philly left the game with more to feel positive about despite the final score and Vick’s injury.

8. Philly’s rush defense held up very well for most of the game, but finally lost steam on Michael Turner’s big run in the fourth quarter. The pass rush got great pressure without blitzing. The cornerbacks covered Julio Jones and Roddy White like glue.

Basically, the game mostly went as defensive coordinator Juan Castillo drew it up. Really, it was the short fields that killed the Philly defense more than anything.

9. Atlanta entered the offseason looking for more playmakers on offense. On Sunday night, they found some on defense. If Peria Jerry, Sean Weatherspoon, and William Moore can keep making impact plays to complement the usual suspects (John Abraham, Curtis Lofton), then this defense could be pretty good.

10. We may have buried Tony Gonzalez too soon. On a night where the Falcons receivers couldn’t get open, Gonzo made all the difference in the red zone.

11. This game ultimately meant more to the Falcons. Losing to Vick and Kafka despite all the turnovers at home to go 0-2 would have been devastating. Atlanta looked so flat and out of it to start the fourth quarter. They deserve a lot of credit for igniting late in the game.

Good teams find a way to win without their best effort. The win could go a long way to stablizing Atlanta early this season.

Profile E-mail